Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Options
    I'd go wiggins, Weir, Mo. If I was a gambling man though I'd be lumping on Mo. The average man didn't see the TDF, everyone saw Mo.
  • Options
    has to be WIGGO for me tour de france winner and olympic gold
  • Options
    Wiggins
    Murray
    Mcilroy
  • Options
    Would personally go for wiggo but the public love a bit of mo so think he'll get it. - and why not. And if it is about personality, brads got more of one but mo's is more likeable to the general public. Either would be worthy to be fair.
  • Options
    Murray
    Wiggins
    Mcilroy
  • Options
    Well a British man gets to a Wimbledon final, wins an Olympic gold and wins the first Grand Slam for 76 years and still he isn't a shoe in for Sports Personality of the Year.

It has been an incredible summer. One we will never see the like of again in our lifetimes!

A week ago I'd have Wiggo top with a Mo and then Jes. Now I could make cases for Andy, Ellie Simmonds or the Weirwolf.

Wow!
  • Options
    Murray will get my vote. He's had a fantastic year in one of the strongest periods for mens tennis, not the very strongest it's been because Rafa is injured but all the same, he's beaten Feds and Novak in major finals. As he said in his post match interview, the other three all got their maiden Slams playing players who'd never won a slam themselves whereas he's had to beat the very best.

Such an incredibly strong field this year though, they're all very worthy winners in their own right.
  • Options
    Ellie Simmonds for me but was 100% behind Wiggins until last week.
  • Options
    It will be Farah or Murray.
    They will get the middle aged female votes.
  • Options
    Murray followed by Wiggo for me.

This summer has been unbelievable for sport. Shame it has to come to an end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are 5 or 6 with excellent claims this time round.

I think Murray gets my vote though partly because the whole country was behind the others whereas Murray has faced and overcome hostility and negative publicity from his own countrymen.
  • Options
    Must admit, probably Murray just shades it for me too. I Think his achievements have just been that little bit of a notch higher - if that is possible considering what the other possibles have achieved - what a totally incredible year.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I think Murray gets my vote though partly because the whole country was behind the others whereas Murray has faced and overcome hostility and negative publicity from his own countrymen.

The Scots love him though
  • Options
    Had to laugh (with derision) at Sean Connery's comments about not calling Murray British as he's Scottish. I wonder where Sean lives? I wonder how much tax he's paid to help young Scots into sport? Surely such a proud Scot wouldn't be living as a tax exile in the Bahamas...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

To be fair the athletes only had the Olympics (apart from Wiggo) whereas Murray had 4 chances to win a slam as well as the Olympics.
  • Options
    Murray all day long, I cant get over the drug cheats in cycling, they all seem to get found out sooner or later which to my mind devalues the sport, plus its dull!
  • Options
    After last night I am even more confused.
  • Options
    In 1997 Greg Rusedski cmae runner up at the US Open and subsequently won BBC Sports Personality of the year. Murray has come Runner up at WImbledon as well as winning both the Olympics and US Open and is still not guaranteed a top 3 finish.
    What an Amazing year for British sport 2012 has been!!
  • Options
    David Beckham
  • Options
    Still Wiggo by a mile for me, no man had from Britain had ever won the tour before he did plus he's won pretty much every high quality cycling race this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Long shot but, Joey Barton?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Connery couldn't be more wrong - before the Olympics Murray was Scottish but he has earned the right to now be called British. I wouldn't challenge anybody claiming Sean Connery was Scottish rather than British though.
  • Options
    Wiggins
    Weir
    Storey

That's my top 3
  • Options
    Can we have Team GB and Paras GB as joint team winners?
  • Options
    This year in particular somebody who would have won it a contry mile most years won't even make the final shortlist on the night.
  • Options
    Addickted4life is spot on. It should still be Wiggo by a country mile.

Murray has done brilliantly, but his list of achievements is not as impressive as Wiggins'. Plus, Murray still missed out on the one trophy that his fans really want him to get and he's not even the best person in his sport (yet). If Murray continues to improve the way he has done, he'll win Wimbledon in a year or two then he can have it. For now though, Wiggo outshines the rest. My only worry is that the Salmond-Gang will go into overdrive to force their views on the rest of the country.
  • Options
    Don't like him but Murray's year really could not have been any better so edges it for me. Maybe they need a 'Top 10' this year to recognise the achievements. My order would be;

1. Andy Murray
    2. Bradley Wiggins
    3. David Weir
    4. Mo Farah
    5. Ellie Simpson
    6. Sarah Storey
    7. Rory McIlroy
    8. Jessica Ennis
    9. Chris Hoy
    10. Ben Ainsley
  • Options
    ..................oops, 5. should have read Ellie SIMMONDS
  • Options
    Wiggins still for me as winning the tdf probably the toughest event in sport and an olympic gold just edges out the other olympians in my view. Fair play to andy murray for his us open win but if you include him in the argument then you have to put rory mclroy in as well. He has won 3 of his last 4 tournaments, including a major and is now the undisputed no 1 in golf. That is at least as much as murray has achieved in my view.
  • Options
    It's just brilliant to have such a list of WINNERS to choose from, not plucky losers like Henman and a variety of English footballers.

There isn't one person in the 10 above who wouldn't deserve a vote.