Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Options
    wiggins all day long
  • Options
    Andy Murray could be in the mix, Wimbledon Final, and a Gold and Silver added.
  • Options
    Wiggins for me as well - fantastic achievement by Mo, but winning the Tour de France probably the toughest sporting event in the world and an Olympic Gold just edges it for me.
  • Options
    Mo Farah - SPOTY
    Tom Daley - YSPOTY
    The Cycling Coach - Coach of the Year
    Usain Bolt - Oversea's Sport Personality.
  • Options
    I thought that Jessica Ennis would get the vote for the BBC Sports Personality of the year ,but I reckon it will be Mo Farrah now .Over recent years there have been concerns about the quality of the winners,but I think we will end up with of a list of Olympic athletes I also reckon that Andy Murray will be on there for reaching the Mens single final this year. No footballers will be on the list
  • Options
    Brownlee also has to be a contender. Not likley to win but has to be one of the candidates I reckon.
  • Options

Wiggins
    Mo
    Jess

changed my mind
    Wiggins
    Mo
    Weir
  • Options
    Amazing year, also got the Ryder Cup team playing in America,could be a phenomenal show.
  • Options
    Don't forget Murray
  • Options
    I backed Dave Weir last week at 50-1....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you back ew? He might come top 3 but won't win it
  • Options
    No, but did Ellie Symmonds at 33's as a cover ;o)
  • Options
    The team of the year will be interesting between Team Sky, Olympics team GB, Paralympics team GB.
  • Options
    I'd go with Mo
  • Options
    I googled this at odds checker and for the outright winner these are the BEST odds so come from a variety of bookies :

Wiggins 20/23
    Farrah 9/4
    Murray 8/1
    Ennis 9/1
    Weir 25/1
    Simmonds 100/1
    Hoy 100/1
    Storey 100/1
    Peacock 100/1
    Ainslie 175/1
    Mcilroy 200/1

There are dozens of others on there going down to Rooney at 999/1 (along with many many others at those odds)!!

Murray will shorten if he wins tonight I suspect.
  • Options

The team of the year will be interesting between Team Sky, Olympics team GB, Paralympics team GB.

What about Ryder Cup team should they win ? or England 20/20 World Cup team, should they win (current holders).

• Options
    Wiggo will get my vote, I cannot see the BBC presenting Team Sky with the team award live on prime time so that vote could be, cough, cough, manipulated
  • Options
    Weir
  • Options
    Confused
  • Options
    Never under-estimate the British public to go a bit leftfield from the list of nominees.
    Zara Philips anyone?

And can i be the first to blame the BBC for missing off at least 3 people who should be on the list, even though the list is chosen by editors of about 30 different magazines and media outlets and not the BBC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No doubt, it's been a fantastic year for British sport. There are a good half-dozen people whose achievements are big enough to make them a shoe-in in a normal year. That said, there is still one athlete whose achievements are head and shoulders above the others'. Several people in that list have just one or two notable successes in the year, one man has a whole list of such achievements; several of which have never been won by a British person before. That man is Bradley Wiggins:

★ Won the Paris-Nice. The first British rider to do so for 45 years.
    ★ First ever British winner of the Tour de Romandie.
    ★ Retained his championship of the Critérium du Dauphiné. The first British winner to do so.
    ★ First ever British cyclist to win the Tour de France.
    ★ Only cyclist ever to have won the above four races in a single year.
    ★ Took Olympic gold in the time trial, giving him a total of 7 olympic medals. A feat only equalled by Sir Chris.

This list on it's own doesn't even do justice to Wiggins when you consider the amount of sheer effort he put in for the team. Just look at the way he battled for Mark Cavendish in the Olympic Road Race. A lesser athlete might have decided to take it easy with his own big race coming up just a few days later, but not Bradley he kept on battling against all the odds.

Sure Mo Farah's two wins provided the most memorable nights of the Olympics and the various Paralympians have really succeeded in capturing the spirit of the times and have highlighted what incredible feats people can be capable against the odds, but none of them have won such a huge amount of prestigious events throughout the year. If anyone other than Wiggins wins, it will be a travesty.
  • Options
    Joint award .. Mo and Wiggy .. and sky cycling for team of the year
  • Options
    Apparently, there's a call for Male and Female SPOTY this year. I've always thought Wiggy to have a touch of the effeminate about him !
    Also, shame about what footy clubs they both support .
  • Options
    Agreed Stig
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Agreed Stig

Seconded
  • Options
    Spot on Stig.

• Options
    Stig, you forgot to mention that Bradders won the Olympic Time Trial by a huge margin.
  • Options
    Probably 5 very valid and worthy winners this year - prob back to Ryan Giggs next year - what a pile of brown stuff that was. 2 months later he's in the gutterpress with him shagging his sister-in-law.
  • Options
    Stig said:

No doubt, it's been a fantastic year for British sport. There are a good half-dozen people whose achievements are big enough to make them a shoe-in in a normal year. That said, there is still one athlete whose achievements are head and shoulders above the others'. Several people in that list have just one or two notable successes in the year, one man has a whole list of such achievements; several of which have never been won by a British person before. That man is Bradley Wiggins:

★ Won the Paris-Nice. The first British rider to do so for 45 years.
    ★ First ever British winner of the Tour de Romandie.
    ★ Retained his championship of the Critérium du Dauphiné. The first British winner to do so.
    ★ First ever British cyclist to win the Tour de France.
    ★ Only cyclist ever to have won the above four races in a single year.
    ★ Took Olympic gold in the time trial, giving him a total of 7 olympic medals. A feat only equalled by Sir Chris.

This list on it's own doesn't even do justice to Wiggins when you consider the amount of sheer effort he put in for the team. Just look at the way he battled for Mark Cavendish in the Olympic Road Race. A lesser athlete might have decided to take it easy with his own big race coming up just a few days later, but not Bradley he kept on battling against all the odds.

Sure Mo Farah's two wins provided the most memorable nights of the Olympics and the various Paralympians have really succeeded in capturing the spirit of the times and have highlighted what incredible feats people can be capable against the odds, but none of them have won such a huge amount of prestigious events throughout the year. If anyone other than Wiggins wins, it will be a travesty.

Couldn't of said it better my self. He may we the tour of Britain as well. He's definitely getting my vote.
  • Options
    Agree that Wiggins ought to win it - no Brit has won the tour de France and he added an Olympic Gold to that (his seventh). It is just that Farah's golds were such emotional moments that you could connect to - the first- him celbrating with his family and the secondthe way he kicked on when it looked like he was going to be caught. I think Farah connected with the nation is a special way and as the title is sports personality - I think he will win it.