Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Going to be much closer now than a week ago. Safe to say it won't be footballer though.

ashley young might be an outsider
  • SCP?

I'm just biased.
  • Not Zara Phillips again this year, then...
  • Mo has run 15k meters.

Wiggo has won the 2012 Tour de Romandie, 2012 Paris–Nice, 2012 Critérium du Dauphiné and 2012 Tour de France AND a gold medal.

Mo has been brilliant but Wiggo has been awesome and then some.
    You dont win the Tour de France and not win SPOTY.
  • Mo Farah for me, all day long.

• But it's cycling and I don't think until it was said on the news that he had won the tour de France that unless you are into the cycling you would've have known or cared

Not saying mo achievemts are better but it will be voters and how many watched what mo done

• It's still only August...
  • edited August 2012
    But it's cycling and I don't think until it was said on the news that he had won the tour de France that unless you are into the cycling you would've have known or cared

Not saying mo achievemts are better but it will be voters and how many watched what mo done

See this is what I'll think will swing it. Even though Wiggins success this year has been better than Mo's the fact most people only know about Wiggins winning the TDF and his gold medal but not all of his other wins this year, Dauphine etc. I think Wiggins should win (I'm very biased) but more people will have seen Mo's wins and as a result he will inevitably get more votes.
  • No way, even people who know little about cycling will know how prestigious the TDF is. The first ever British winner of it will be rewarded
  • Mo for me .

But no way will the nominations be all male THIS time !
  • Sponsored links:

• How has Wiggins achievements been better than Mo's though? Surely that's what it's all about - different opinions.

I'm not massively into cycling or athletics, but for me it's Mo.

What a lovely change to have so many very worthy candidates though.
  • Throw Hoy, Granger and Ainsley's achievements into the mix as well and it's a great line up.
  • edited August 2012

No way, even people who know little about cycling will know how prestigious the TDF is. The first ever British winner of it will be rewarded

I totally agree and the fact its taken us 99 editions of the tour to actually have a British rider to win it makes it even more incredible. If it was done on success and personality combined without votes then I would say Wiggins would have it in the bag all ready but the fact that Mo's wins will have been watched by more people and it'll be in the papers for days and all over the news as he's now the face of the games. Its going to be close no doubting that. I really hope Wiggins gets rewarded for the fantastic year he's had though and I know who I'll be voting for.
  • TDF for me is just a load of blokes on bikes and different people winning everyday

But I don't like cycling so I don't get it

I would say there are loads of the same mindset

I think what mo achieved was better because it was him on his own in the race loads of you all said on the thread it was that other cyclist who made sure he won it

What he achieved at the Olympics was was better IMO because he done it on his own
  • edited August 2012

Tom Daly might just get Young Personality

I'd hope Laura Trott would get that. But it does show so much success has given us so much choice

And internatiional personality of the year maybe a certain Jamaican?

• Kap10 said:

Tom Daly might just get Young Personality

I'd hope Laura Trott would get that. But it does show so much success has given us so much choice

Or how about Taekwondo gold medalist Jade Jones for young personality of the year? Only 19, so much choice this year its doing my head in.
  • Olympic gold medal.

BBC Sports personality.

No comparison.
  • Maybe we should present a CL award carly - that would surely be the biggest prize?
    ;o)
  • Easily Wiggins all the way for me. Farrah 2nd and Jess Ennis 3rd.

It's a tosspot of a programme though
  • No footballers will be in sight of it and that will be a good thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aside Olympians who is there?

Carl Froch
    Rory McIlroy
    Phil Taylor

I'm stretching it with mcilroy and Taylor too!

Out of the Olympians, strewth..... Jade jones, Gemma gibbons is a well deserved mention. Chris hoy, wiggins, jess ennis, mo farrah, Laura trott, anthony Joshua, Jason kenny, Ben ainslie, Tom Daley, the list is very long!!

• edited August 2012
    Might be one of these melons

• Yann Kermogant?

SPOTY this year is a bit like our player of year last season. So many candidates.
  • What a lovely dilemma for the British public to have, just to throw 1 in there, if Murray wins the US open (which he has a massive chance of doing) he could put himself in with a chance, it's often someone that's fresh in the mind. I believe Mo will win though. He has won most hearts and that is what ppl vote for.
  • Yann Kermorgant for me
  • It makes such a refreshing change to see it being competed for by genuine contenders and not a sign of rooney or any other footballer.

I'd say that Wiggins will probably edge it but certainly wouldn't put money on it. Will just be a pity for those that miss out, as any other year, they would romp it.
  • Wiggins
  • I remember last year when nothing happened SPOTY was a bit of a farce. Glad this year is better for me it's Wiggins at the moment if Murray wins the US then I hope he wins it.
  • I'd like Mo to win it cos I personally have enjoyed his achievments more and watched them cos I find the tour de france a bit zzzz but understand the incredible achievments of wiggins and whoever wins it I'm sure will deserve it

They need to drop the "ality" bit from the title

Unlike others I would have liked a footballer to win it cos it means we'd have prolly won the European Championships but then football is my no.1 game and I'm a lover not a hater of the beautiful game
  • Got 25/1 on Wiggo winning SPOTY before the TdF and within 24hrs of him winning the TT gold, got 20/1 on Mo and 15/1 on Ennis.
    If it doesnt come from that 3, I'd be shocked.