Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Watched the 4 part series on iPlayer about the mass shooting at the Las Vegas music festival in 2017 last night. Its called 11 minutes. Well worth a watch, shocking and upsetting in places, but handles a really emotive subject well imo.

Cheers I will give it a go 
  • Annika on BBC iPlayer.  Nicola Walker as a Marine Homicide DI filmed in Largs (my childhood backyard). Should be wonderful.  Absolute pants I’m afraid. 
  • Oh thats no good Silly..thought that had potential 
  • Annika on BBC iPlayer.  Nicola Walker as a Marine Homicide DI filmed in Largs (my childhood backyard). Should be wonderful.  Absolute pants I’m afraid. 
    I'm a Nicola Walker fan.
    I started watching the first episode and gave up after 20 mins, absolute tosh.
    Agreed, sadly, gave up after a couple of episodes.

Sad she left Unforgotten for that.
  • edited May 2023
    Annika on BBC iPlayer.  Nicola Walker as a Marine Homicide DI filmed in Largs (my childhood backyard). Should be wonderful.  Absolute pants I’m afraid. 

Agreed, although Annika was previously shown on another channel, Alibi I believe and repeated on BBC1.
  • Succession has now finished and a good ending to a great series. Highly recommend the 4 series to anybody who hasn’t watched it

Agreed, although Annika was previously shown on another channel, Alibi I believe and repeated on BBC1.
    Yup. I watched about half of the 1st episode about a year ago. 

Load of old poop. 
  • Ditto, guys. 

Mr F had high hopes for it but had to agree to pull the plug after watching the 1st episode. 
  • I’m late to the party with Ted Lasso and think it’s good. The only problem is the Stadium they play at lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Ditto, guys. 

Mr F had high hopes for it but had to agree to pull the plug after watching the 1st episode. 
    Not to be confused with the mini series Annika from around 1985 that had a very big impression on a14 year old !! 
  • Succession 

Yeah, what the fuck was that ending about? 

Loved the series and liked the twist, I called one thing right and I know posh English writers like to do this and leave things "up to the viewer". I think, and I'm probably going to be accused of being fussy or lazy, I think I needed a bit more closure 
  • Beef(Netflix)

Comedy drama about an escalating feud between two characters following a road rage incident. The central characters inhabit very different worlds.

Very funny plot - I'm half way through the series. Cast is very good.
    I though it was poor, watched it a couple months back and wouldn't really recommend. not that funny and a bit silly but maybe just not for me
  • Carter said:
    Succession 

Loved the series and liked the twist, I called one thing right and I know posh English writers like to do this and leave things "up to the viewer". I think, and I'm probably going to be accused of being fussy or lazy, I think I needed a bit more closure 
    No spoilers * literally just half way through season 1, try not to follow up with any please people 
  • edited June 2023
    Finished watching Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland last night.....a very good watch.
  • Beef(Netflix)

Comedy drama about an escalating feud between two characters following a road rage incident. The central characters inhabit very different worlds.

Very funny plot - I'm half way through the series. Cast is very good.
    I though it was poor, watched it a couple months back and wouldn't really recommend. not that funny and a bit silly but maybe just not for me
    It's cartoonish but very well paced. Not a demanding watch but I'm finding it very entertaining.
  • Ditto, guys. 

I watched about 20 minutes and bailed out - very slow and ponderous. 
  • I was pleasantly surprised to find the Sylvester Stallone series ‘Tulsa King’ was actually a decent show. 
    I’ve now also enjoyed the Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle ‘FUBAR’. Not as impressive - it’s silly knockabout spy stuff - but it was pretty entertaining.
    I’d be surprised if either of these shows didn’t get a second season.

Funny how these two have careers that seem to mirror.
  • Watched first episode of BBC2's much vaunted 18th Century story Gallows Pole. Will be interested to hear what other people think. Going to be one of those marmite series I think. Only a three parter yet the first episode was so slow, so they had better get going in the other two episodes. Can't put any spoilers in as there are none to highlight yet. It's the director's style to have actors improvise, but many of the actors here were first timers and ended up using 21st Century terms or even cockney rhyming slang! 
  • I was pleasantly surprised to find the Sylvester Stallone series ‘Tulsa King’ was actually a decent show. 
    I’ve now also enjoyed the Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle ‘FUBAR’. Not as impressive - it’s silly knockabout spy stuff - but it was pretty entertaining.

I loved Tulsa King, thought it was his best work.
  • Sponsored links:

I loved Tulsa King, thought it was his best work.
    Yeah, I agree it’s very good.

Two very different shows, but what I like about both of them is that both Stallone and Arnie are embracing the fact that they’re getting on in years. 
    Still playing tough guys, obviously (it’d be weird if they weren’t), but both seem willing to take the piss out of themselves and they recognise that the world has moved on.

(There are some nice self deprecating lines in both. In FUBAR, for example, Arnie refers to “Helicopter parents” and calls them “Chopper parents” which tickled me.)
  • Finished watching Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland last night.....a very good watch.
    Be good if they done a follow up telling of all the other stuff it never covered like the kneecapping drug & weapon running & all the other stuff that went on giving everyone the full story rather than the main stuff that was shown but it's a good watch anyway 
  • Watched first episode of BBC2's much vaunted 18th Century story Gallows Pole. Will be interested to hear what other people think. Going to be one of those marmite series I think. Only a three parter yet the first episode was so slow, so they had better get going in the other two episodes. Can't put any spoilers in as there are none to highlight yet. It's the director's style to have actors improvise, but many of the actors here were first timers and ended up using 21st Century terms or even cockney rhyming slang! 
    I saw it, was t quite sure what to make of it either. Very much a Shane meadows show and style with the acting. Might give the second one a watch to see where it's going
  • Carter said:
    Succession 

Disagree with that, I thought it delivered closure alright.
  • edited June 2023
    Watched first episode of BBC2's much vaunted 18th Century story Gallows Pole. Will be interested to hear what other people think. Going to be one of those marmite series I think. Only a three parter yet the first episode was so slow, so they had better get going in the other two episodes. Can't put any spoilers in as there are none to highlight yet. It's the director's style to have actors improvise, but many of the actors here were first timers and ended up using 21st Century terms or even cockney rhyming slang! 
    To be succinct I thought it was complete and utter shite.
    The cast seemed to be just repeating what the other person had just said.
    A "I'm going down the pub".
    B "Are you going down the pub?"
    A "Yes I'm going down the pub".

What happened could have been shown in 10 minutes, loads of singing songs to waste time.
    Absolute tosh on a level with that Annika series.
  • Carter said:
    Succession 

No spoilers * literally just half way through season 1, try not to follow up with any please people 
    Thanks for the reminder of 'No Spoilers' :D I finished the finale this Monday. I will keep silent on specific plots. :D Just want to say that I totally loved the ending. I have the utmost respect for Jesse Armsrtong and his team. This is hands down THE best series I've watched for the past five years. Also the cast has been incredibly talented throughout all four seasons. They constantly amaze me with their performances. I sincerely hope the series will do well at this year's Emmy and next year's Golden Globes.
  • Poker Face on Sky. 

Meh.
    Agatha Raisin with a bigger budget. 
  • I wouldn't post any spoilers, I've watched the final episode again and I've changed my mind. It was a good ending 
  • Jessie said:
    Carter said:
    Succession 

Thanks for the reminder of 'No Spoilers' :D I finished the finale this Monday. I will keep silent on specific plots. :D Just want to say that I totally loved the ending. I have the utmost respect for Jesse Armsrtong and his team. This is hands down THE best series I've watched for the past five years. Also the cast has been incredibly talented throughout all four seasons. They constantly amaze me with their performances. I sincerely hope the series will do well at this year's Emmy and next year's Golden Globes.
    Across the entire cast there isn't a single bad performance. Even smaller characters like Hugo or Matsson's second in command are done so well. It's rare that you get that with a show.
  • edited June 2023
    Jessie said:
    Carter said:
    Succession 

Across the entire cast there isn't a single bad performance. Even smaller characters like Hugo or Matsson's second in command are done so well. It's rare that you get that with a show.
    I'll never forget Hugo's "Whoof! Whoof!" moment. This series can be so hilarious sometimes.🤣

I've recently finished 3 limited series, all of which are great in my opinion. Highly recommended, especially the latter 2:
    First is the HBO series I've mentioned on here "The White House Plumbers". I enjoyed it and in between waiting for airing of new episodes I recalled a series from last year about the same subject - Watergate - "Gaslit" starring Julia Roberts, Sean Penn and Dan Stevens. I then started to watch this one and finished it in a few days. Has anyone watched Gaslit before? I totally loved it. It has more depths than The White House Plumbers and the cast is amazing. Julia Roberts never disappoints. Sean Penn is unrecognisable. One supporting actor named Shea Whigham delivers a career-best performance. I first noticed Whigham in the series "Modern Love" a few years ago and then started to watch Boardwalk Empire in which he played one of the main characters. He can be seen in many films and TV series but mostly plays supporting roles. He is too underrated and deserves more recognition I think. 
    The third series is a new one: Waco: The Aftermath. It's the sequel to a series from a few years ago about the Waco disaster in America. I had watched only a few episodes of that original series and felt the contents about cult religion very uncomfortable to watch. Taylor Kitsch played the cult leader. Despite liking him in Friday Night Lights and other Peter Berg projects, I simply couldn't stand him in this - maybe it had something to do with the character. The sequel stars Michael Shannon who is also in the original series. As a Succession fan I was glad to see J. Smith-Cameron (Gerri). Shea Whigham and his lovely daughter (!) made guest appearances too. Giovanni Ribisi, another favourite actor of mine plays a key role. I finished this sequel in one sitting. It was very well made and captured my interest all the way till the end. To think what would happen on Capitol Hill years after what was depicted in this series...