Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Nearly finished Gangs of London on sky. Excellent i thought
    Think I got through half an hour but there was too much mockney “this is London” nonsense for my liking.
    Same, I struggled to get get into it. My biggest gripe was the fella from peaky blinders couldn't warm to him for some reason. 
  • Anyone watching The Investigation?
    I do love a bit of Scandi TV
    Really good that it concentrates just on the victim, their family and the police.
    No spoilers as I still have two to go.
    I watched episodes 3 and 4 live on Friday and felt like giving it a roundnof applause. The creators of the show really set their stall out. Best way to explain it is to compare it with The Serpent. I enjoy that too, but in that the  murderer is centre stage. In the Investigation they ignore him. I don’t think we will even hear his name. Rather like how NZ PM Jacinda Ardern refused to say the name of their terrorist. Instead it concentrates on the living victims ( the parents) and the ordinary people in public service who step up to the plate to hold the killer to account. Turns out too that some of those ordinary heroes have four legs. If you are ok with subs you really should try it. Its another case of Denmark punching way above its weight in the TV drama world. 
    Nailed it!
    So glad someone else feels this way about it 👍🏼
    Me too, binged it from start to finish last Saturday night. Really well done.

But having devoured The Killing, The Bridge and Borgen, it seems as if there are only about twenty actors in the whole of Scandinavia.
  • IdleHans said:
    Anyone watching The Investigation?
    I do love a bit of Scandi TV
    Really good that it concentrates just on the victim, their family and the police.
    No spoilers as I still have two to go.
    I watched episodes 3 and 4 live on Friday and felt like giving it a roundnof applause. The creators of the show really set their stall out. Best way to explain it is to compare it with The Serpent. I enjoy that too, but in that the  murderer is centre stage. In the Investigation they ignore him. I don’t think we will even hear his name. Rather like how NZ PM Jacinda Ardern refused to say the name of their terrorist. Instead it concentrates on the living victims ( the parents) and the ordinary people in public service who step up to the plate to hold the killer to account. Turns out too that some of those ordinary heroes have four legs. If you are ok with subs you really should try it. Its another case of Denmark punching way above its weight in the TV drama world. 
    Nailed it!
    So glad someone else feels this way about it 👍🏼
    Me too, binged it from start to finish last Saturday night. Really well done.

But having devoured The Killing, The Bridge and Borgen, it seems as if there are only about twenty actors in the whole of Scandinavia.
    Yes, it's a small pool, especially the Danish one. Pretty classy though, aren't they? In this respect the Nordic country that really leaves me gobsmacked is Iceland. The whole population is only 300k. They also create excellent TV series, and produce an apparently endless stream of top quality contemporary musicians, not to mention footballers good enough to qualify them for World Cup/Euros and bother England. Who's left to do the tedious jobs? Have they trained penguins to staff call centres or something?

Come on you must remember penguins aren’t in the Northern hemisphere, it would have to be polar bears
  • Spiral series 8 finished on BBC4 yesterday.
    I started watching last year after bolloxbolder recommended.
    It is now available on iplayer from series 1 2005.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Watched series 1-6 ages ago and hadn't realised they'd made more. Binged first 5 of series seven last night and it's as good as ever.
    Now just need to ration myself to make it last.

• Watching Back to Life via Netflix, excellent, film in my old home town of Hythe, and features the wonderful Daisy Haggard as well, which is a bonus
  • Binge watched Finding Alice yesterday, didn’t think it was too bad, funny in places, easy to watch, glad I didn’t take the advice in here really.
    We are enjoying it, it’s a “black comedy” and some people find it hard to laugh at death and dying. Some of the one liners in it are real lol moments.
  • My name is Francesco Totti. Sky documentaries. Never reallised what a special player he was. And this documentary really captures the unique manic atmosphere that pervades all the big Italian clubs and the communities in which they exist.
  • I watched the Lance Armstrong doc on Storyville. Loved it. And I'm not a cyclist or anything but just found it fascinating 
  • Rothko said:
    Watching Back to Life via Netflix, excellent, film in my old home town of Hythe, and features the wonderful Daisy Haggard as well, which is a bonus
    I watched this when it was first on terrestrial TV, it's very good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Had ‘The Drowning’ on last night but didn’t give it 100% of my attention because of following the deadline day events on here. Found it intriguing enough to follow through with it tonight though. 
  • The Drowning. Well it's good to see Jill Halfpenny back on the screen (finally a different leading actress). Rather strange concoction of a story with the usual massive plot holes. But still watchable due to the leads.

Decided to watch The Investigation two at a time on BBC. Savoring every moment. Brilliant.
  • Had ‘The Drowning’ on last night but didn’t give it 100% of my attention because of following the deadline day events on here. Found it intriguing enough to follow through with it tonight though. 
     It's got turd written all over it.

About as believable as a bank note for £1million written by Matt Southall
     It's got turd written all over it.

About as believable as a bank note for £1million written by Matt Southall
    So you’re saying I should watch something else tonight?
  • I keep hearing about a programme called Spiral?

Can any lifers tell me if it's any good as it seems to have had many seasons. 

personally one of my favourites in recent years (in any language)
  • Not a series, but just watched ‘The fall: Decker v Budd’ about the two runners from the 80s. If you are too young to know the story google it. A fascinating programme with a wonderful conclusion. It’s on sky documentaries.
    it also gave a good reminder of why it is always good to hate the Daily Mail

A resounding YES from Fanackapan Towers.

From the 1st to final episode( sob!) we were totally hooked on, not only the various investigations involved but especially in the characters therein. 

We spent many happy lockdown hours bingeing on all 5 series. 

Absolutely brilliant !
  • edited February 2021
    I keep hearing about a programme called Spiral?

Yes. Yes it is. Some storylines better than others but all really engaging in one way or another. 

I'm going to make a bold claim and state I was first onto this (probably in the old netaddicks days - that's how old I am)!

It's as much about the development of the characters, across what is 15 years now, than the plots. Don't watch if you want glossy shots of beautiful people* sipping cafe au lait beside Parisian landmarks. It's grim and gritty and I think only in this last season have I first seen the Arc de Triomphe. Really interesting contrast with our own judicial system and the involvement of the judge in directing the enquiry.

*with the exception of Audrey Fleurot who is stunning.

From the 1st to final episode( sob!) we were totally hooked on, not only the various investigations involved but especially in the characters therein. 

Absolutely brilliant !
    8 series actually. All available now on iplayer. Tres magnifique!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• I watched the Lance Armstrong doc on Storyville. Loved it. And I'm not a cyclist or anything but just found it fascinating 
    Same here

Absolutely brilliant !
    Thanks for this and other lifers comment's will definitely start to watch this. 
  • Pah! Thought the new Line of Duty was starting, turns about to be  a re-run of the series which happens to feature Keely Hawes. Pah! New series can’t be far away though. 

If you enjoyed Deutschland 83/86 on C4 , the final series Deutschland 89 starts on More 4 on Feb 26. I’ll be all over it.

Finally I’ve just discovered that Netflix is running a Czech version of Life on Mars/ Ashes to Ashes. I’ll, er, check it out so you (probably) don’t have to. 
  • Pah! Thought the new Line of Duty was starting, turns about to be  a re-run of the series which happens to feature Keely Hawes. Pah! New series can’t be far away though. 

If you enjoyed Deutschland 83/86 on C4 , the final series Deutschland 89 starts on More 4 on Feb 26. I’ll be all over it.

Finally I’ve just discovered that Netflix is running a Czech version of Life on Mars/ Ashes to Ashes. I’ll, er, check it out so you (probably) don’t have to. 
    I thought the same the other day! I checked it out and they reckon March/April so not too long to wait. 

Absolutely brilliant !
    8 series actually. All available now on iplayer. Tres magnifique!! 
    Oops ! Of course.

French Police detectives with sub titles, all the usual stuff murders, drugs, etc.
    Recommended.
  • Well, that’s four hours of my life wasted. The Drowning. What an absolute crock of shit that was.
  • edited February 2021
    Well, that’s four hours of my life wasted. The Drowning. What an absolute crock of shit that was.
     It was truly horrendous, but for some reason we also had to watch all four.
    Spent most of it laughing and taking the piss.
  • Watched first episode of ZeroZeroZero yesterday (Sky Atlantic). A bit of a mash up of Gomorrah, Narcos and Ozark. Promising.