Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options

The very opposite of a new series but we've been rewatching Seinfeld from the beginning on Amazon. Utter, utter genius and George Costanza is easily in my top three comedy characters of all time. It has stood the test of time remarkable well too. Treat yourself, if you've never seen it.

Agree with you on that. Brilliant series. Soup Nazi anyone ??
  • Options

The very opposite of a new series but we've been rewatching Seinfeld from the beginning on Amazon. Utter, utter genius and George Costanza is easily in my top three comedy characters of all time. It has stood the test of time remarkable well too. Treat yourself, if you've never seen it.

Very rarely do I venture back to something I’ve already seen. Seinfeld is an exception to that rule. So many cracking episodes that you can jump straight back into.

• Options
    The Cry finished last night.

4 hours of TV that could of been toned down to 1 hour, if they just took out the main woman standing around looking like she entered a room and forgot what she walked in there for.
  • Options
    Finished Ozark s2 this weekend. Cracking stuff that leads perfectly into a third season.

Going to start the Haunting of Hill House as a replacement.
  • Options

4 hours of TV that could of been toned down to 1 hour, if they just took out the main woman standing around looking like she entered a room and forgot what she walked in there for.

I was disappointed.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Finished Ozark s2 this weekend. Cracking stuff that leads perfectly into a third season.

Yeah I hadn't heard of Ozark but read about it on here and raced through it.

I'm watching Making a Murderer S2 at the moment. It is less compelling and addictive but that's to be expected.

The new South Park season is so-so. The last couple were better, I'd like to see more Mr Garrison but I guess they've done enough Trump bashing.
  • Options
    Daredevil season 3 Netflix. An improvement on the second season. More of a focus on the core team and two quality baddies. Worth watching for Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Going to start the Haunting of Hill House as a replacement.

Watched the first 3 episodes last night. i usually hate haunted house/horror films, find them very repetitive and predictable, but i think it works really well as a series. Get much more of a back story and I'm enjoying the chopping of time frames.
  • Options
    Started watching 'white gold' the other night, what a load of old shite that was.
  • Options

Agree with you on that. Brilliant series. Soup Nazi anyone ??
    My mates have all suddenly got into this recently. Think I might have to give it a crack if its on Prime and if it is that good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was disappointed.
    Surely everyone guessed he had given the kid medicine and not her fault.

• Options
    Completely agree about The Cry, should have just done a 2 parter. Main actress was very good but thought they tried to go everywhere with it and dragged it out a bit.
  • Options
    Just finished Haunting of Hill House. This may be Netflix's finest offering yet

Really, really clever with just the right amount of horror, suspense and drama
  • Options
    Bloody hell, BBC1 is about to show the first of a six-part adaptation of Le Carre's "The Little Drummer Girl" and like virtually everyone else on here it seems, I was completely unaware it was coming. Thanks to Jason Burke in the Guardian for the only alert,he obviously rates it.
  • Options
    rina said:

I binged on this at the weekend and thought it was pretty good. The episode in the funeral home which appears to be filmed in one shot was very cleverly done.

My view of it is probably coloured by the book it is (extremely loosely) based on and the 1963 movie The Haunting, which is one of my all time favourites. The TV series is a very different take on the story than those versions and for me, the tone of the ending wasn't right.
  • Options
    rina said:

Just watched the first 3 today, really enjoying it so far. Like the way each episode is giving a back story flr each character.
  • Options

Bloody hell, BBC1 is about to show the first of a six-part adaptation of Le Carre's "The Little Drummer Girl" and like virtually everyone else on here it seems, I was completely unaware it was coming. Thanks to Jason Burke in the Guardian for the only alert,he obviously rates it.

Apologies for not advertising it on here, PA .

I've had it on my calendar for the past few weeks.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 1st episode tonight and although somewhat baffling for 90% of the hour, everything began to make sense just before the credits rolled.
  • Options
    I enjoyed The Cry, a little different than normal and an interesting ending.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

rina said:

I binged on this at the weekend and thought it was pretty good. The episode in the funeral home which appears to be filmed in one shot was very cleverly done.

My view of it is probably coloured by the book it is (extremely loosely) based on and the 1963 movie The Haunting, which is one of my all time favourites. The TV series is a very different take on the story than those versions and for me, the tone of the ending wasn't right.
    yes, that was really well done and apparently they only got 3 attempts at it because the equipment broke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Little Drummer Girl - Wow! Haven't got a Scooby what's going on but I loved it! Proper le Carré. Huge budget and great locations and a refreshing change to watch a UK (I presume) TV drama without John Simm, Olivia Colman, David Tennant, Nicola Walker or 007 wannabes called Tom.
  • Options

Apologies for not advertising it on here, PA .

I've had it on my calendar for the past few weeks.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 1st episode tonight and although somewhat baffling for 90% of the hour, everything began to make sense just before the credits rolled.
    perhaps I should have stuck with it then. Instead I turned over & watched Chris Tarrant & a programme about the "death trains" that the Germans used to kill off millions of Jews in WW2.

happy sunday evening viewing.
  • Options
    Just finished season 2 of Making a Murderer. Not as good as season 1 for good reason but still compelling .
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Little Drummer Girl - Wow! Haven't got a Scooby what's going on but I loved it! Proper le Carré. Huge budget and great locations and a refreshing change to watch a UK (I presume) TV drama without John Simm, Olivia Colman, David Tennant, Nicola Walker or 007 wannabes called Tom.

Hmm, I was a tad disappointed, especially as they made a point of saying the production is from the same team as did "The Night Manager".

The time period is meticulously re-created. Maybe that's why it started off pretty low key, unlike the Night Manager which dazzled from the first minute. My problem is with the lead lady who insists on talking like a someone out of 2018 Putney or somewhere like that, and generally over-acting.

I'm also not clear how and why the Israelies identified her to recruit in the first place. I understand the "German" guy went to one of her theatre performances, but why?

Maybe it's just me and I will get into it.

• Options
    Norsemen is fun. When I first watched it I thought it was just a send up of 'Vikings' but the show grew on me and I liked the Monty Pythonesque touches of humour.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Hmm, I was a tad disappointed, especially as they made a point of saying the production is from the same team as did "The Night Manager".

The time period is meticulously re-created. Maybe that's why it started off pretty low key, unlike the Night Manager which dazzled from the first minute. My problem is with the lead lady who insists on talking like a someone out of 2018 Putney or somewhere like that, and generally over-acting.

I'm also not clear how and why the Israelies identified her to recruit in the first place. I understand the "German" guy went to one of her theatre performances, but why?

Nothing is clear with John le Carré, not even at the end. That's the fun of it, you sometimes need to link things yourself and you certainly need to concentrate.
  • Options
    rina said:

Finished it last night. I enjoyed it, without fully understanding what was going on and why.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Nothing is clear with John le Carré, not even at the end. That's the fun of it, you sometimes need to link things yourself and you certainly need to concentrate.
    I get that about Le Carre, mate, I have read nearly all his books, and his autobio. Just not sure if I read this one, funny enough.

Something about that girl and her friends didn't sit right with me. It was like watching a version of Life on Mars where a bunch of 20-something sons and daughters of the dreaded liberal metropolitan elite got on a flight to Naxos and landed in Naxos, c. 1979. I mean, who, in 1979, had a "favourite" Greek wine? You drank retsina or some other indeterminate "white" or "red". I bet that bit didn't appear in the book. (probably you'll look it up and prove me wrong :-))

• Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I get that about Le Carre, mate, I have read nearly all his books, and his autobio. Just not sure if I read this one, funny enough.

Something about that girl and her friends didn't sit right with me. It was like watching a version of Life on Mars where a bunch of 20-something sons and daughters of the dreaded liberal metropolitan elite got on a flight to Naxos and landed in Naxos, c. 1979. I mean, who, in 1979, had a "favourite" Greek wine? You drank retsina or some other indeterminate "white" or "red". I bet that bit didn't appear in the book. (probably you'll look it up and prove me wrong :-))

May not be adapted from a book, maybe an original screenplay I don't know. Think you're being a bit picky @PragueAddick, it's fictional drama for entertainment. Just sit back and enjoy it.
  • Options
    I did spend most of the episode trying to work out who her voice reminded me of, which put me off following the plot, also spent time googling how old Alexandar Skarsgard is and what else Max Irons had been in.

Florence Pugh is one to watch - was amazing in Lady Macbeth.
    I think it might be a version of Anna Friel. A deeper rounded voice, that's well spoken, and sort of northern posh?

loved the bit at the Acropolis as this time a month ago I was there. sadly not at night when it's closed!