Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options

Alex - a 6 part mini series about a bent Swedish cop. Excellent

Where did you find it?

Also did you know that the 2nd series of Occupied has been out for a while? It ran on Netflix from April, and is now even on Czech TV. Pretty sure BBC4 ran the first series so no idea why they didn't take this series. Unless of course someone has told them not to upset the Russians...
    Quite liked the first series. It was quite a slow build but still enjoyable.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I binged Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan while I was ill last week. It's about what you expect, a lot of flag waving American stuff. But it's good for like something simple and mindless where you're willing to suspend disbelief. I remember seeing a headline a while back with something like "The best scenes in Jack Ryan are the ones he's not in." And it's pretty true, the B and C plots are arguably more interesting than Jon Krasinski, who doesn't really work in the role. Wendall Pierce, who played "Bunk," in The Wire, is basically playing Bunk as a master CIA field officer and that's kind of fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Good stuff I've seen recently:
    1) "Castle Rock": It's a Hulu original based in the Stephen King world in Maine. I've never read a Stephen King book and I've only seen Shawshank, but the show is bloody excellent. Creepy but not like a horror film. Just really well done.

2) The Staircase: Okay technically I haven't seen the newest release yet, but Netflix has just reissued "The Staircase" which for years was considered the gold standard in true crime documentaries. The original is excellent, and this reissuing apparently adds on three episodes after the original left off. I haven't had a chance to see these yet as I promised my mum I'd wait and watch them with her (down in LA for a week so will do it this week).

3) American Vandal: Netflix original mocumentary of true crime documentaries. It's brilliant. You don't have to like or be super familiar with true crime documentaries to enjoy it, but I think you'll appreciate it all the more if you are. Also, the outside scenes of the high school are filmed at my high school (which has had a bunch of things filmed there), so if you want to see where I went to high school...find a better reason to watch it. They've just released a second series.
  • Options

Has anybody been watching the new Karl Pilkington comedy on Sky One?

Any good?

It’s ok. Not laugh out loud funny......but pretty funny in parts.

Probably appeals to KP fans as you pretty much know what you’re going to get.
  • Options
    New series of get shorty starting this week
  • Options
    There's a new Peter Kay series starting next Monday.
  • Options

Alex - a 6 part mini series about a bent Swedish cop. Excellent

Where did you find it?

Also did you know that the 2nd series of Occupied has been out for a while? It ran on Netflix from April, and is now even on Czech TV. Pretty sure BBC4 ran the first series so no idea why they didn't take this series. Unless of course someone has told them not to upset the Russians...

(Edit, this series at least has run on Sky Atlantic) . Pirate Bay, then....
    It is being shown on More 4 but all episodes are available on All 4 as it is part of the Walter Presents. Didn't know about Occupied on Netflix but that is down as coming soon on All 4. Occupied was not bbc4 previously.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Good stuff I've seen recently:
    1) "Castle Rock": It's a Hulu original based in the Stephen King world in Maine. I've never read a Stephen King book and I've only seen Shawshank, but the show is bloody excellent. Creepy but not like a horror film. Just really well done.

2) The Staircase: Okay technically I haven't seen the newest release yet, but Netflix has just reissued "The Staircase" which for years was considered the gold standard in true crime documentaries. The original is excellent, and this reissuing apparently adds on three episodes after the original left off. I haven't had a chance to see these yet as I promised my mum I'd wait and watch them with her (down in LA for a week so will do it this week).

3) American Vandal: Netflix original mocumentary of true crime documentaries. It's brilliant. You don't have to like or be super familiar with true crime documentaries to enjoy it, but I think you'll appreciate it all the more if you are. Also, the outside scenes of the high school are filmed at my high school (which has had a bunch of things filmed there), so if you want to see where I went to high school...find a better reason to watch it. They've just released a second series.

and you an American true ? .. shame upon thee for ignoring or neglecting an all American genius
  • Options

Has anybody been watching the new Karl Pilkington comedy on Sky One?

Any good?

Started watching yesterday and not too bad quite funny, not in inbetweeners league but easy to watch and some funny bits
  • Options
    Where was Castle Rock to be found in Blighty?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cblock said:

New series of get shorty starting this week

Thanks! Would totally have missed that!
  • Options

There's a new Peter Kay series starting next Monday.

sadly not. I think its just clips of old shows.....a bit like The 2 Ronnies showbook.
  • Options

MEDITERRANEAN (bbc2/iplayer) - 4 part documentary with Simon Reeve. An interesting insight into the history and current events within the region. Last night's episode looked at Malta and Calabria in Italy - gave some interesting insights into organised crime.

LAST CHANCE LAWYER(bbc2/iplayer) - documentary series about NY defence lawyer Howard Greenberg who is certainly a one-off. Interesting insight into criminal cases and Greenberg is a very funny guy. Highly entertaining.

Every time I see Howard Greenberg I immediately think of Dave Allen. must be the hair.
  • Options
    Hoe can you watch Castle Rock in the uk?
  • Options
    Apparently an extended one off special of This Country landed in BBC3 this morning.
  • Options
    Man in the High Castle season 3 on Amazon. One of my favourite series. It's slowly working it's way towards a conclusion. Already filming season 4.

Last season of Better Call Saul was brilliant.
    Halfway through Ozark season 2.
  • Options
    Won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but Gordon Gino and Fred on ITV has had me chuckling
  • Options

Won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but Gordon Gino and Fred on ITV has had me chuckling

It’s brilliant - Gino has got a decent gaff eh!
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Used to be Paul Young’s :wink:
  • Options

Apparently an extended one off special of This Country landed in BBC3 this morning.

Watched it last night - definitely my favourite comedy of recent years. Great piece of writing. On IPlayer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Looks an amazing place to live. Gino cracks me up.
  • Options
    Black Hollywood(BBC) - documentary series about the history of black cinema and the difficulties faced by actors/directors. Some fascinating anecdotes and history and amazing to see Harry Belafonte looking so good at the age of 91.
    Bits of the program are very funny but there are some sad stories on offer. Very informative.
  • Options
    I've watched most of the first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It's very Mad Men in its attention to detail (i.e. recreating 1950's Manhattan) and both the scripts and the lead are very sharp. I'm genuinely surprised that the show hasn't got more of a buzz about it.
  • Options

I've watched most of the first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It's very Mad Men in its attention to detail (i.e. recreating 1950's Manhattan) and both the scripts and the lead are very sharp. I'm genuinely surprised that the show hasn't got more of a buzz about it.

I watched this - found it very enjoyable and loved the clothes.
  • Options
    The Cry. Ep 3. I’m so angry.
  • Options
    Called the cliffhanger in both episode 2 and 3 of the cry. Think it’s the first time I’ve ever got 1 of these sort so shows right.
    Loving it though.
  • Options
    I said a few pages back after the first episode the husband wasn’t in the courtroom scenes.

He obviously caused the death, and twisting it to make her feel guilty.
  • Options
    Killing Eve was easily a 9/10. Trust is a very good 8. Strangers about a 5.5. I have drifted away from Ozark, but have it in reserve after a couple of episodes of series two, for me Better Call Saul is a clear 10 and I will be sad when this series is over.
  • Options
    The Cry, I read that the ending of the series is different from the book. I don't know the ending to either, but id imagine theres still more twists.
  • Options
    A Dangerous Dynasty .. the Assads .. a bit drawn out but very interesting, taught me a lot about the middle east crises .. ep1 on iPlayer, ep2 tomorrow (16/10) and final ep3 next week