Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    forgot to say Trust is surprisingly good, I say surprising because it just got better and better.
    Killing Eve is fantastic, I don't look on this thread too often because it has the potential to spoil your enjoyment.
    It is a long time since John Simm was very good, but he is far better than than Strangers!
  • Options
    Not too bothered about how Killing Eve wraps up season 1 cos Jodie Comer, what a star and what a sort. Convincing psychopath, still lives with her Mum too. Hopefully subsequent seasons won't get too formulaic: smoking hot psycho finds inovatively brutal way to assassinate next target, has humorous interlude with her grumpy manager, has enthusiastic encounter with new lover, is effetely pursued by blundering MI6 housewife, repeat. There's no resolution in the source novellas, with more commissioned for publication. I'll certainly be able to sustain a few more glimpses of La Comer at work.
  • Options
    Binged an ABC series called 'The Good Doctor'. I actually didn't expect much before watching but it turned out to be one of the best series I've watched in recent years. Probably not everyone will like it and at first some of the plots seem unrealistic. But it gets better and better. The main character is a surgical resident with autism, played by Freddie Highmore. I thought the actor was American until I looked him up on the internet. I knew he was a child actor but didn't know he's a Londoner and a Cambridge graduate with quite impressive academic achievements. He seems very polite and modest in interviews and different to many other actors. He'll have a bright future I think. The series itself is not an ordinary medical drama, mainly due to Highmore's character being 'special/different'. It deals with interesting issues. Hopefully the second series will be as great as the first.
  • Options

just finished watching The Plague. really good.
    visually impeccable. creating a claustrophobic, murky, cruel, living and breathing (if barely) 16th century Seville was some feat.
    dark, gruesome, intriguing and a refreshing change to all the more modern set series on at the moment. they're making a second series.

I just finished this on catch up .. I agree, terrific series and quite harrowing in parts .. the scenes of the burning at the stake of the 'heretics' !! .. the most graphic scenes I've seen in a long time
  • Options

Binged an ABC series called 'The Good Doctor'. I actually didn't expect much before watching but it turned out to be one of the best series I've watched in recent years. Probably not everyone will like it and at first some of the plots seem unrealistic. But it gets better and better. The main character is a surgical resident with autism, played by Freddie Highmore. I thought the actor was American until I looked him up on the internet. I knew he was a child actor but didn't know he's a Londoner and a Cambridge graduate with quite impressive academic achievements. He seems very polite and modest in interviews and different to many other actors. He'll have a bright future I think. The series itself is not an ordinary medical drama, mainly due to Highmore's character being 'special/different'. It deals with interesting issues. Hopefully the second series will be as great as the first.

seen trailers for it on Sky...............cringeworthy to me. Especially when he replies to his mentor "you'd me my friend" ..... odd character & even odder voice.

Its a no from me.

Something I was going to post last week. Not a series as such but just seen a 2 part programme (2.5 hours each) on Gary Shandling (aka Larry Sanders - and I had forgotten that he had passed away 2 years ago). Very interesting as I loved The Larry Sanders Show.

hey nowwwwwwwwww.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

@JessieAddick If you were impressed with Freddie Highmore try bingeing on ‘Bates Motel’. Also staring Olivia Cooke (now in vanity fair) and Vera Farmiga. A few series to watch but worth it. Like a prequel to Psycho done in series format.

Im 3 eps in to good doctor. Like it so far!
  • Options
    The Cry.
    Early days but A gazillions time better than the dross bodyguard.
  • Options
    Just finished watching 'Mystery Road' on iPlayer, which was shown in six 50 minute episodes on BBC4 and ended on Saturday. It's an adaptation of the Australian crime drama film of that name, which is set in the bleak and beautiful Australian Outback.

The first, scene-setting episode was a little slow but I thought it was a cracking series, with bags of atmosphere and great acting from the co-leads, Aaron Pedersen and Judy Davis ('My Beautiful Career', 'A Passage To India').

If you get the chance, do also look out for the film 'Goldstone', the stand alone sequel to 'Mystery Road'.
  • Options

The Cry.

A slow burner but a really exciting ending to Ep2. Can't wait to see how this pans out.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

seen trailers for it on Sky...............cringeworthy to me. Especially when he replies to his mentor "you'd me my friend" ..... odd character & even odder voice.

Its a no from me.

Something I was going to post last week. Not a series as such but just seen a 2 part programme (2.5 hours each) on Gary Shandling (aka Larry Sanders - and I had forgotten that he had passed away 2 years ago). Very interesting as I loved The Larry Sanders Show.

hey nowwwwwwwwww.
    I can see why some people may not like it, especially if they haven't watched it from the beginning. When I read the synopsis last year I wasn't particularly interested - mainly because I thought it was unrealistic. I'm now glad I gave it a try, albeit one year after the first series began.

@JessieAddick If you were impressed with Freddie Highmore try bingeing on ‘Bates Motel’. Also staring Olivia Cooke (now in vanity fair) and Vera Farmiga. A few series to watch but worth it. Like a prequel to Psycho done in series format.

Im 3 eps in to good doctor. Like it so far!
    @suzisausage
    I've just finished the first series of Bates Motel! Both my Mum and I really liked Freddie Highmore in The Good Doctor and we started to watch Bates Motel this past weekend. It was so great we finished the first series in just two days. I think Vera Farmiga was absolutely fantastic in it.

And nice to know you are liking the Good Doctor. Perhaps it has more appeal to a female audience :joy:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Watching Strangers but not really grabbed by it.

Annoys me when two Hong Kong residents switch languages with have half a conversation in English and half in Cantonese(?) with subtitles.

Don’t care if it English or local language but don’t chop and change mid conversation

Actually this does happen. My daughter and her friends are fluent in English and Thai and often change language mid-conversation, even mid-sentence. I usually think it's when they speak about something they don't want me or conversely her mother to hear!

I quite like Strangers BTW.

Just finished the second series of Travels With My Father with Jack Whitehall (Netflix). Wasn't as good as the first but still funny in parts, though very contrived, which the viewer's probably not supposed to realise!
  • Options
    MEDITERRANEAN (bbc2/iplayer) - 4 part documentary with Simon Reeve. An interesting insight into the history and current events within the region. Last night's episode looked at Malta and Calabria in Italy - gave some interesting insights into organised crime.

LAST CHANCE LAWYER(bbc2/iplayer) - documentary series about NY defence lawyer Howard Greenberg who is certainly a one-off. Interesting insight into criminal cases and Greenberg is a very funny guy. Highly entertaining.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The Cry.

A slow burner but a really exciting ending to Ep2. Can't wait to see how this pans out.
    my missus called it at the start of Ep 2, the couple are in on it together - plot to get his eldest daughter back by stitching up his ex....he's bullying her, hence the bruising, and his mum in on it too.

remember her puking in Ep 1....she's well aware of what she's doing but for some reason doesn't stop it.
  • Options
    Finally got round to watching 'Dark' this weekend. Thought it was brilliant. So many nods to Donnie Darko (which I loved) and really, really bleak - kind of like a Scandi series, with a brilliantly complex storyline. Recommended
  • Options
    Good ending to The Cry last night, however a lot of slowed down scenes with piano music over the top which BBC drama's absolutely love.
  • Options

Riviera said:

The Cry.

my missus called it at the start of Ep 2, the couple are in on it together - plot to get his eldest daughter back by stitching up his ex....he's bullying her, hence the bruising, and his mum in on it too.

remember her puking in Ep 1....she's well aware of what she's doing but for some reason doesn't stop it.
    Did we see the baby when she was being sick?
    Seem to remember her having her back to the camera and when she was approached by the woman who wanted to see the baby she ran off being sick.
    Maybe the baby was already gone before that.
  • Options
    binge watched killing eve yesterday - pretty good and a good ending.
  • Options

But there was no ending.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

But there was no ending.
    well there was in that the last episode of series 1 left you wanting more
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Killing Eve- Just finished this in two sittings over last night and tonight. It kept me watching, fast moving, couple of shocks, some gratuitous violence and some very funny Black Humour. However after 8 unusually short (42min) episodes I wanted a conclusion. I don't watch continuous dramas or Soaps, I like a beginning middle and end. I'm usually disappointed with the endings of most TV series' but worse than a bad ending is being left hanging for the 2nd series. Killing Eve is back in 2019 and I for one will not be watching. Why can't writers (and there were loads of them) just end things?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

The Cry.

Seem to remember her having her back to the camera and when she was approached by the woman who wanted to see the baby she ran off being sick.
    baby is/was hidden in the rundown shack they stopped at on the way from the airport to the cottage.
  • Options

Riviera said:

The Cry.

baby is/was hidden in the rundown shack they stopped at on the way from the airport to the cottage.
    That's my theory too.
    Another thing...why did the grandmother insist the ex put something in the freezer even though she was standing next to it herself. When the ex opened the freezer, she spotted something and they shared a glance.
  • Options
    Strangers is sooooooo sloooooooooooooow
  • Options
    Sort of given up/ lost interest with Strangers

Started Black mirror - Netflix a few days ago, 3 episodes in quite decent with a few futuristic things, not quite sure what the theme is eg. Thriller/ comedy, goes between a bit of everything, quite enjoying them so far.

Power- I cant remember how far i've got in that series but not quite as hooked as expected, still decent but now started the above one doubt ill watch for a while. Think i was about 7 episodes in season 1
  • Options
    Alex - a 6 part mini series about a bent Swedish cop. Excellent
  • Options

Started Black mirror - Netflix a few days ago, 3 episodes in quite decent with a few futuristic things, not quite sure what the theme is eg. Thriller/ comedy, goes between a bit of everything, quite enjoying them so far.

Power- I cant remember how far i've got in that series but not quite as hooked as expected, still decent but now started the above one doubt ill watch for a while. Think i was about 7 episodes in season 1

Black Mirror is fantastic, watched multiple times.
    All individual so can watch in any order with the exception of the last episode, it has back references so better if you watch the others first.
  • Options

there are only 8 in the first series.

we are about 9 episodes into 2nd series.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

there are only 8 in the first series.

we are about 9 episodes into 2nd series.
    possibly i am not sure whether on 5/6/7, i liked it but hasn't hooked me like some series. Eg. GOT i have rewatched every year , OITNB again once saw smashed it every night.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Alex - a 6 part mini series about a bent Swedish cop. Excellent

Where did you find it?

Also did you know that the 2nd series of Occupied has been out for a while? It ran on Netflix from April, and is now even on Czech TV. Pretty sure BBC4 ran the first series so no idea why they didn't take this series. Unless of course someone has told them not to upset the Russians...

(Edit, this series at least has run on Sky Atlantic) . Pirate Bay, then....
  • Options
    Has anybody been watching the new Karl Pilkington comedy on Sky One?

Any good?