Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

iPad

Comments

• Options
    So its a TV but not as good anything you buy for your home (any room)
    Its a web browser but 3/4 times dearer than you need to pay
    You can use it for word processing but you might want to buy a keyboard
    You can have a 64 gig memory which was huge back when cars had starting handles but you have to pay £80 extra
    It has a couple of cameras on it but no one will throwing away their Nikon
    You can make phone calls from them but my phone from 10 years ago is more potable

It does look good though, like most Apple gear.

Vanity, one- up- man- ship, gullibility, salesman’s dream
    Brilliant, the same applies to all singing all dancing mobile phones too.
  • Options
    Get an Asus transformer Prime with docking station.
    Sounds like you'd have to fight the Decepticons for it.

Hehehe
  • Options
    You can have a 64 gig memory which was huge back when cars had starting handles but you have to pay £80 extra
    You can make phone calls from them but my phone from 10 years ago is more potable

Not really. A phone makes calls, iPad doesn't.
    Cameras on phones are pretty good nowadays too.
    & a mobile fits inside your pocket, an iPad doesn't. Unless you're a clown.
  • Options

We're probably going for an iPad in the next month or two. There's some great stuff for the kids available for it,

It does. There are loads of games for free that will entertain them for ages. Also the paid for games tend to come in at 69p and they are every bit as good as a Nintendo DS game for £30. The iPad is, also, about as portable as a DS.

Clearly other tablets can also play these games, and probably at the same price (the apps not the tablets).
  • Options
    Just got iPad 3 ... Really like it ...
  • Options
    What does it do?
  • Options
    ah the old ipad debate again. I've got one and can't do without it. Those that 'don't get it' havn't got one, if they did then they'd get it.
    If you can afford one then buy it, I've never spoken to someone who has regretted it.
  • Options
    I am in the future… And I didn't even type this...
  • Options
    What does it do?
    Computer stuff...

• Options
    Through my work I have been able to road-test about every Tablet device that has entered the market from low-end Chinese versions to the high-end stuff like the Samsung tablet and the iPad.

Of all the stuff I have tried the worst would have to be the BlackBerry Playbook, its so bad its funny, and the best - and I am no Apple fan boy - would be the iPad, its a great piece of kit, although over-priced.

The best thing about the iPad is its OS and ease of use for anybody, its especially great for web-browsing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who says Charlton fans are nerdy anoraks?

No way!
  • Options
    Who says Charlton fans are nerdy anoraks?

No way!
  • Options
    You can say that again.
  • Options
    "I've never spoken to someone who has regretted it" sounds very much like the mantra of owners of ultra boring japanese cars that always get such good ratings in the JD Power survey. It's almost as if they have to say good things about them to justify to themselves why they bought one in the first place. I've always thought that owners of other vehicles were always too busy out enjoying themselves to be bothered to fill in surveys. The only exception being when something bad went wrong hence skewing the results.
    Let's face it, no one who has just spent well over the odds on something is going to say, well actually it's okay but quite boring really and it just sits gathering dust now.
    BTW, I do have a boring japanese car - it's, well, boring.
  • Options
    I have an iPad from work & I now only use my laptop for doing spreadsheets as this is a bit fiddly on an iPad - everything else can be done on the iPad. Also have my own iPad, use it everyday & can't imagine not having it! To be honest, I apple sold a turd in a box, I would probably buy it #applegeek
  • Options
    I have owned a wifi 1st gen iPad for a couple of years and for me it's brilliant. It has taken over from my laptop for all things except spreadsheets where I use my iMac. I don't watch films on it but do direct things like the BBC iPlayer and uTube to my TV from it. I only have a basic mobile phone which I use when out as I have a phone in my home for phone calls. I also have a camera for taking pics so don't need it for that, but for surfing, e-mails, reading books, using at meetings and most laptop activities it is just what I need.
  • Options
    ah the old ipad debate again. I've got one and can't do without it. Those that 'don't get it' havn't got one, if they did then they'd get it.
    If you can afford one then buy it, I've never spoken to someone who has regretted it.
    This, this, this 100%

• Options
    "I've never spoken to someone who has regretted it" sounds very much like the mantra of owners of ultra boring japanese cars that always get such good ratings in the JD Power survey. It's almost as if they have to say good things about them to justify to themselves why they bought one in the first place. I've always thought that owners of other vehicles were always too busy out enjoying themselves to be bothered to fill in surveys. The only exception being when something bad went wrong hence skewing the results.
    Let's face it, no one who has just spent well over the odds on something is going to say, well actually it's okay but quite boring really and it just sits gathering dust now.
    BTW, I do have a boring japanese car - it's, well, boring.
    I don't buy this. I have now bought 3 iPads (one of each version) and I, obviously, don't feel the need to justify my spend as I went on to buy one for my son and upgraded my original one.

I know this comment gets critiisised, but until you own one you can't really comment on how useful it is. It's not that different from a long term fan trying to explain why he goes to all Charlton games to someone that has only watched football on the TV. They just don't get it! They just don't understand why you'd want to come to The Valley when you can watch Man Utd on Sky and MoTD!

Until you try an iPad you just can't understand why you don't use a laptop and a PS3 and a DVD player and a smart phone. Sure the other machines are better at some tasks, but let's be fair Man Utd are a better team than Charlton, but it doesn't make all Charlton fans stop coming to games so they can watch Man Utd on the tele does it?
  • Options
    But can someone really justify to me to have one? I keep being tempted by them but I'm just worried that its just the lure of having another gadget in my life. I use my laptop a lot, be it surfing, watching everything from football, baseball, films, tv series etc., listening to music. Really the only advantage I can see to having an ipad/tablet is how small and light they are, is that enough to shell out a few hundred for one when I can just sit here in my chair with my laptop on?

I can see people have uses for them and if I still did a long commute on a train I would definitely be making a purchase but I'm so 50/50 at the moment.

And KHA, why buy each new one that comes out? From what I've read the there are very slight differences between ipad 2 and 3, the display being the main 1 or am I totally wrong?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And KHA, why buy each new one that comes out? From what I've read the there are very slight differences between ipad 2 and 3, the display being the main 1 or am I totally wrong?
    To be fair one of them was for my son - the iPad2. I bought the original one and I sold that on eBay to replace it with the new one. We still have two in the house, one that my son has (and he loves it) and one that I have (that my wife also uses).

I think that upgrading every two years is cost effective as you will still get a decent price, second hand, for a device that is a couple of years old. Wait much longer and you, pretty much, have to bin it which makes upgrading more expensive.

I only mentioned the upgrades to clarify that I didn't only say it was good to justify my spend, as I wouldn't have bought an other one if that was the case.

We don't have laptops in the front room, so the iPad is used for browsing and email when we awar from our desks. The iPad can also be carried to bed for late (or early) web access or email access.

I can check my email and look at Charlton Life in a few seconds on my iPad where as the lap top takes so long to boot up hat I wouldn't bother.

As others have said it's difficult to really get across what it does until you have one.
  • Options

Not really. A phone makes calls, iPad doesn't.
    Cameras on phones are pretty good nowadays too.
    & a mobile fits inside your pocket, an iPad doesn't. Unless you're a clown.
    Take your point SLL, but I do think there is a little of the emperors new clothes about how quickly they bring out the new version of something that is only slightly better than the previous version, and sometimes basic stuff that previously worked well seems to become more complicated?

• Options
    Ah ok that makes sense now. To be fair if you are trying to sell it to me on the boot up time my laptop is fairly new and a good spec so can boot up and be on the net within a couple of minutes.

As I won't know what it is really like until I have one fancy lending me yours for a test drive? ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ah ok that makes sense now. To be fair if you are trying to sell it to me on the boot up time my laptop is fairly new and a good spec so can boot up and be on the net within a couple of minutes.
    Seriously the iPad is open (from standby) in less than a second.

If you want a look at mine you are welcome to come over and have a go if you are ever near Kings Hill.
  • Options
    Kings Hill is a bit far from E11 for me.

I've just seen Currys are doing the Galaxy 8.9 for £249, now the price isn't a major concern for me however given the small size of this I think it might be better for me i.e. reading books on tube but still big enough to use at home for everyday use. Anyone have any experience of this or the Samsung/Android tablet versions?

And apologies for going off topic slightly
  • Options
    Kings Hill is a bit far from E11 for me.

I've just seen Currys are doing the Galaxy 8.9 for £249, now the price isn't a major concern for me however given the small size of this I think it might be better for me i.e. reading books on tube but still big enough to use at home for everyday use. Anyone have any experience of this or the Samsung/Android tablet versions?

And apologies for going off topic slightly
    Yes and we use the Galaxy for work. The guys don't like them. Mainly Android related and it is getting better but......
  • Options

As I won't know what it is really like until I have one fancy lending me yours for a test drive? ;-)
    I think Kings Hill is spot on about the time it takes to boot up a laptop meaning he wouldn't bother. A couple of minutes you say your new decent spec laptop takes ? In those two minutes you could turn on an iPad, read Charlton Life and be done.

• Options
    This, this, this 100%

We've got one - I bought the missus one for Christmas and have used it.

It's a nice little gadget and handy for doing a bit of quick surfing, but still prefer my laptop - which I am using now, by the way - for doing "stuff".

Was it worth the money? Not really, but it kept her quiet (for about a minute!)

Kinda pisses on your theory there really, but do carry on believing if that floats your boat.
  • Options
    This, this, this 100%

We've got one - I bought the missus one for Christmas and have used it.

It's a nice little gadget and handy for doing a bit of quick surfing, but still prefer my laptop - which I am using now, by the way - for doing "stuff".

Was it worth the money? Not really, but it kept her quiet (for about a minute!)

Kinda pisses on your theory there really, but do carry on believing if that floats your boat.
    Very aggressively put IMHO. Thanks.

• Options
    Just 'cause your missus doesn't use it doesn't mean, for a second, that it pisses on anything!

Did it occur to you that maybe she didn't want one? Most women I know would never be without a microwave, but if you'd bought me one for Christmas it'd still be on the box it came in!