Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

iPad

Comments

• Options
    Get an Asus transformer Prime with docking station.
    Sounds like you'd have to fight the Decepticons for it.

LOL
  • Options
    There really is a lot of old bollocks spoken on here about iPads. Rizzo asks what do you use it for ? and Sam3110 suggests its like bling and to show wealth. I have two laptops at home and an ipad2 and unless I'm doing some serious work that demands a real keyboard then since I got the iPad I rarely turn them on. Rizzo. Serious question what do you use your laptop/desktop for ? Bet it's much the same as I use the iPad unless you heavily into gaming which thankfully I'm not. As for showing wealth well quite frankly that's an inane and stupid comment. Like razil I do t know anyone that owns an iPad who is not a big fan and that includes a few techs.
  • Options
    I use mine for studying, I load up all my reading material and use it on the train. I use it for email, web browsing, watching TV when SWMBO has control of the remote. I use it for uploading photos to Flickr. I play games on it, very badly. I use it for word processing, with a bluetooth keyboard. I read papers on it. I also use it for matchdays at the Valley and for Charlton Live.

I don't use a laptop anymore.
  • Options
    How the heck did this go from a sfw question on ipad's into something that just closed down my PC with a great big red box informing me that I have been reported to the IT compliance department.

It is just as well I am the IT department. ;)
  • Options
    May have something to do with Badger sex......

Thanks for all of your views.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/apple-to-charge-ipad-owners-for-central-heating-201203215035/

Apple to charge iPad owners for central heating
    21-03-12

OWNERS of the iPad 3 will have to pay a monthly fee for all the heat it generates.

Thousands of customers have contacted the company to say that, while their new shiny thing is a total game-changer, it has set fire to their sofa a bit.

Now Apple chief Tim Cook has offered iPad owners the chance to be forced to hand over any money they save on central heating bills.

He added: "Because automatic downloads are secretly impossible to prevent we can effectively control the temperature of your home.

"This gives you the exciting choice of giving us more money or living in a pizza oven."

Apple will shortly release a heat resistant mat for iPad users that want to play Scrabble over the internet for more than 30 minutes without having to wear ceramic trousers. Called the 'iSbestos', it will come in a range of sleek, funky designs and retail at £1200.

And because iSbestos causes a massive, painful rash, Apple have also developed a skin cream called 'i45' that will be available from June at the introductory price of one healthy child.

Meanwhile, Samsung's rival Galaxy Tab will come with a free set of curling tongs so that people who cannot afford an iPad can still burn themselves really badly.
  • Options
    So its a TV but not as good anything you buy for your home (any room)
    Its a web browser but 3/4 times dearer than you need to pay
    You can use it for word processing but you might want to buy a keyboard
    You can have a 64 gig memory which was huge back when cars had starting handles but you have to pay £80 extra
    It has a couple of cameras on it but no one will throwing away their Nikon
    You can make phone calls from them but my phone from 10 years ago is more potable

It does look good though, like most Apple gear.

Vanity, one- up- man- ship, gullibility, salesman’s dream
  • Options
    You can have a 64 gig memory which was huge back when cars had starting handles but you have to pay £80 extra
    You can make phone calls from them but my phone from 10 years ago is more potable

You've just quoted 6 functions that it performs, with the alternative being individual device for each use. Think you could make it as a salesman for Apple.
  • Options

You've just quoted 6 functions that it performs, with the alternative being individual device for each use. Think you could make it as a salesman for Apple.
    Those functions can be performed by a mobile phone and a PC/Laptop. You don't need 6 different items for that lot.

• Options
    I don't actually own one but find it quite odd how the post has forgotten to address the question asked by AppyAddick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apologies if this has been done before, im looking to buy an iPad but not sure what storage to buy?

How much space will a movie take and what is the best way to put movies onto the iPad? I would think iTunes are expensive, is there a better way?

Many thanks.
    A movie downloaded from a Torrent site will typically be about 800MB. A TV program will take about 350MB per hour - I'm assuming that you avoid the HD content that will be much bigger and on a small screen you probably won't notice the difference.

If you download a torrent from the internet then you can either convert it to a format that will run on the iPad, you can do this with handbrake, a conversion program. Handbrake will take ages to convert films but for a modest cost you can download and install an app called AVPlayerHD - I think it was £2.99. This will play the videos you download without any conversion and it's really easy to use.

On this basis you will probably be able to have a few apps, some photos and still have enough room for as many films/TV programs as you can watch in one battery charge cycle with the 16GB version. Clearly if you buy the 32GB version you will be able to have enough to pick and choose what you watch, or have a little more other stuff on the iPad.

However, as you can pick and choose backups when you restore the iPad you could take an almost full up iPad, back it up then delete just about everything, put just films and TV programs on it for a journey then you could reinstall what you had before you go on the journey when you get back.

Not withstanding how much money Apple make on the memory (Gosh, fancy a business daring to make money) the upgrade is better value for money per GB for 64 than 32. This was the selling point for me, and as they cannot be expanded once you make the initial purchase you are 'stuck' with the size you bought. If money is not really a consideration (and it if is the iPad2 is much better value and more than capable of playing all the media content just as well really) then I would, personally, prefer to have memory I don't always need than need memory I don't have.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with making a profit, just seems to me that 500%+ is more than a little excessive.
  • Options
    300mb .mkv films are quite common nowadays, they can be played through the VLC app. Obviously the quality is not blue ray but it's good enough.
  • Options
    Loads of people in work have one, I'm not a fan of Apple, just think they're taking over the world, i-this & i-that, adverts asking Siri what your day looks like, if you don't already know you need help.

Colleague bought one on Friday after umming & ahh-ing, he used it at the weekend & said it was great for web browsing as much quicker when he used Google Maps.

Others in work use it because their laptop is rubbish or they like gadgets. I guess if you're on the train for long periods it would be worth it for films/games etc...but other than that I can't figure out when I'd really use one. I'm either at home where I have a tv, dvd player, sky, laptop, at work, where I'm working, or I'm out where I don't need it!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I got an ipad a couple of mothes back. used it a few times but i just couldent justify keeping it so i gave it to someone else.
    i dont really need to watch films when sitting on the train. internet, well, i'm on the internet a fair bit anyway. however i'm not to bothered about being away from it for a while.
    i guess music but i would rather carry an mp3/ipod than carrying around a bit of slate roof.
  • Options

6 why I don’t own one but if someone gave me an i-Pad or they were price sub £200 I'd have one.
    I just think they are a bit of a compromise on virtually everything they do. Nice but a toy.
    Now, a gadget I think worth having (I have one of these);

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/4708

No doubt theres an Apple "app" that can nearly do everything I can do on my Harmony
  • Options
    One thing that has not really been mentioned is the fact that unlike Microsoft stuff the iPad actually works. No virus issues. No freezing. Just plug and play as the saying goes. I wouldn't be without mine.
  • Options
    300mb .mkv films are quite common nowadays, they can be played through the VLC app. Obviously the quality is not blue ray but it's good enough.
    The VLC app has been removed from the app store and unless it was downloaded some time ago is not an option. There may be a cheaper or free alternative to the AVPlayerHD, but I have it and it works for me so I couldn't comment on others.
  • Options
    Come on Leroy, you know you wanna...
  • Options
    One thing that has not really been mentioned is the fact that unlike Microsoft stuff the iPad actually works. No virus issues. No freezing. Just plug and play as the saying goes. I wouldn't be without mine.
    Why no virus issues ?
    I thought viruses came from web sites, so you'd get one, whether on a PC, laptop, ipad, mobile ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I actually own the asus transformer prime (with the docking station) and it does everything the ipad can do plus much more.

plus the battery is longer, plus it plays flash, plus it looks better, and it doesn't have a gay apple logo on it!!
  • Options

There are no virus issues on iPad because of the control Apple exercises over the iOS, the only code that can run must be created with XCode and downloaded from the App Store, where it must go through an approval process.  Because of that, there will NEVER be a virus, unless something changes, and a Trojan is unlikely.
  • Options
    I actually own the asus transformer prime (with the docking station) and it does everything the ipad can do plus much more.

plus the battery is longer, plus it plays flash, plus it looks better, and it doesn't have a gay apple logo on it!!
    What does a "gay apple" look like then?
  • Options
    That's the exact remote I have Keston, got it B Grade stock for £120, box was suppose to be damaged but was all as new. Absolutely blinding remote. Controls my sky, Blu ray, ps3, amp, tv and media centre. Spent hours sorting my "activities" & macros but so worth it. No messing around with 6 remotes to go from ps3 to watching sky 3d, all done at the touch of a button!
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited March 2012
    Here we go, mines bigger than yours.

Look Android is great, but it is so fragmented. if it works for you then great, good. it didnt work for me hence the reason I got an iPhone.

I had a chance to test tablets and pitted the transformer against the iPad. It was very good, but it just didn't have the all round performance of the iPad.

As for the "mines got flash" well adobe have thrown in the towel and it's not going to be developed further on android. BBC website works fine, you tube works fine, the only thing that doesn't is CAFC player but that is changing. The world is moving away from Flash. It's no longer an essential requisite.

Anyway, enjoy whatever you have got.
  • Options
    You can't (easily) install 3rd party software on an iPad, so it is less prone to virus infection, but it's not immune, and you should still practice safe surfing. The biggest weakness of any system is the human element, and the iPad still has those. Complacency about your own vulnerability will always lead to problems, so always better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    A whole thread about incontinence pads. Of no interest to me. Yet.
  • Options

What does a "gay apple" look like then?
    Same as normal but the stem is limp wristed.
  • Options
    This is just like the PS3 vs X-Box arguments really. Both are good, both do the job, just depends on what suits you & whether you need it.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh God I'm joining the Apple debate, I've tried to fight it but I can't ...... ;-)
    I know relatively little about the technical aspects of the tablets and laptops, so this is just my view as a user of computers, smartphones and the probable owner of a tablet some time soon.
    I can understand some of the animosity towards Apple because it does all get rather evangelical and "lifestyle".That said, what they seem to have done brilliantly is completely outflank Microsoft time after time in the last 12 years, and built up a global empire right out from under their noses. Was there not a time when small time Apple were under threat of extinction from the all powerful Microsoft back in the late 80s and 90s?
    The iPad was pretty much universally derided when it first came out. I thought they were really naff. But Apple seem to have been able to keep one step ahead of the opposition since the first iPod.
    It seems to me that it is inspired marketing, combined with innovative products that offer software that ties you in even more with Apple.
    Yes it is expensive stuff, and there is undoubtedly some bull around it.
    I already have an iMac and for things like making music ( Logic or even Garage Band ) or for simple film making and editing their software is easy and fairly intuitive to use for most people.
    In the end I guess you buy into the 'dream' or you don't, whatever the 'dream' means to you.
    We're probably going for an iPad in the next month or two. There's some great stuff for the kids available for it, and I'll actually be able to read CL properly ;-)
    If it turns out that I conclude it was an overpriced folly after a few months I will happily come on here and admit it.
    Well maybe not that happily, have you seen the price of the effing things! :-)