Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Golf

Comments

• Thats a good effort leroy. U only been playing a couple of years right?
  • Played Royal Blackheath again last week. Absolutely love that place.
  • I was at Barnehurst as a artisan great memories of early morning golf used to play Blackheath and other clubs in competions.
  • Got my 1st round of the year booked for next Monday - Tudor Park nr Maidstone........not the best of courses but its a freebie so I can't complain.
  • Played the 9 hole course at Gravesend Golf Centre on Sunday, only had 3 lessons so far and and fewer than a dozen trips to the range, so wasn't expecting a great score. However, if I could improve my wedge play, and pick a less windy day, I would have achieved a respectable score. So a little disappointing, but very useful as it really highlighted the areas I need to concentrate long. On the upside I was very happy with my putting.
  • Playing The Wilderness at Sevenoaks friday
  • Should of added, I'm playing 2 course in Philadelphia at the end of the month, Walnut Lane and the other TBA.
  • Has anyone on here tried Night Golf?
    Our club organised it for last Sunday and it was well attended and a weird experience. We played 4 holes, teeing off about 8.30pm once it was completely dark. Each tee is marked with pink lights, the fairway edged with white lights and the green with (you guessed it) green lights. The flagstick is lit up and hazards marked by blue lights. Torches help to select a club and to illuminate the ball as you hit it. The ball itself contains a coloured light and it is almost impossible to lose it.
    It is a strange experience, trying to determine distance by looking at a light in complete darkness before hitting your ball, but if you get the opportunity to try it, give it a go.
    This is a link to the company that organises these events. http://www.thenightgolfcompany.co.uk/
  • Thats a good effort leroy. U only been playing a couple of years right?

Cheers. Yeah - two years now. Got down to playing off about 16, but haven't played much at all in the past six months, apart from a fortnight in Oz where I played a lot. Happy with the score - considering I was absolutely abysal on the first four holes and blobbed them all. Ended up with 31, so pleased with how the rest of the round went. It's a lovely little course, Toot Hill. Not long - but some great holes, and enough variety to really make you think.

• nice island hole at toot hill. i have only played once this year but think i'm at the london course on monday
  • Sponsored links:

• Off to Gatton Manor in the morning for our annual lads golf weekend away.

Never a good sign when trying to get dust off the bag with a tea towel and dirt out of the grooves with a barbecue skewer!
  • red_murph said:

Off to Gatton Manor in the morning for our annual lads golf weekend away.

Never a good sign when trying to get dust off the bag with a tea towel and dirt out of the grooves with a barbecue skewer!

Not a bad course............broke my sand wedge on the 18th by slaming it into the tuff after 1 too many bad shots ||

As for the London Club............. nice set up but too American for me (water and long walks between greens & tees) def a buggy course.

• Delroofer said: Has anyone on here tried Night Golf?
    Our club organised it for last Sunday and it was well attended and a weird experience. We played 4 holes, teeing off about 8.30pm once it was completely dark. Each tee is marked with pink lights, the fairway edged with white lights and the green with (you guessed it) green lights. The flagstick is lit up and hazards marked by blue lights. Torches help to select a club and to illuminate the ball as you hit it. The ball itself contains a coloured light and it is almost impossible to lose it.
    It is a strange experience, trying to determine distance by looking at a light in complete darkness before hitting your ball, but if you get the opportunity to try it, give it a go.

yep do it every year down at Shoreham my mates the professional down there. Normally we play nine holes and is a bit of fun. I found you had to be careful how you tee the luminous balls up because if you hit the luminous strip it flies out and you lose the ball. Madness really but if you take it for what it is that's OK
  • so how have people been getting on?

am very new to the game and only started last september with a weeks intensive. i live in switzerland and they have a strange system out here...you need a license to play on a course and you have to pass a practical test first. so bit of a catch 22 situation as the test is a strict handicap 36 on a 6 hole minimum with only 2 par 3s allowed. of course for decent golfers that is childs play but it can become very expensive for a beginner. i know a couple of swiss that have tried and failed 3 times each now. (of course, like many things swiss, its designed to generate money and keep the sport exclusive...skanky feckers)

so i did what any self-respecting saarf east londoner would do and jumped onto a plane to mallorca and passed it there under much less exacting standards.

i absolutely love the game so far and have been playing a lot this past month. my iron game is coming on but im gash with the woods (not bad on the range but it falls to bits on the course).

managed to score a couple of pars on some 500+ meter par 5s which i was really happy with. inconsistent at the moment and im guaranteed to have at least one nightmare whole in any 9 hole round.

gotta keep working on playing from bad lies and hitting those woods. i am naturally a fairly explosive kinda sportsman and although great for footie and rugby, less so for golf! i like the fact it is teaching me a paitence i usually stuggle with.

played my best round ever yesterday and shot 54 (23 putts - thats a weak part of my game at the moment) on a 3200M par 36 nine holer (its known as a fairly hard course) that has given me no end of enthusiasm to keep at it. considering i took an 11 and a 9 on two messed up holes, there is a lot of room for improvement. consistency...searching...let me know if any of you have any magic tips!
  • edited May 2013
    I played Shadow Creek last week. The course was pretty special really and probably the most amazing venue I've ever played at. Was just a pity that I was utter pants though. We played as a 5 ball and they were happy enough to let us.

Playing The Berkshire in the morning.
  • Played Pedham last Friday having played only twice since November. 30 points off 15. Doesn't sound too bad but apart from hitting the pin on the 7th it was d@£sh1t. Didn't get anything away off the tee with driver on 4 of the first 5 holes. That stayed in the bag for the rest of the round. Need to get up the range 'cause if my next round is like that, the clubs will be launched to the back of the garage.
  • Played my first ever 18 holes last week, at Walnut Lane, Philadelphia. Hit an unimpressive 109, only really happy with 4 of my tee shots, and it took me the front 8 (the course has a front 8, back 10 arrangement due to a road bisecting the course) to get the pace of the greens. Biggest issue is still my pitching wedge, anything under 30 yards is real hit and miss, think I'm going to have to get focus on that with my coach.
  • Keep the faith andy 109 is nothing to be ashamed off for a first 18. I actually think thats a blooming good effort if u were playing strictly and counting everything
  • Keep the faith andy 109 is nothing to be ashamed off for a first 18. I actually think thats a blooming good effort if u were playing strictly and counting everything

There were a few mulligans, and a few drops for undiscovered balls, but I don't think there was any outrageous cheating going on lol

Just need to work on the pitching/chipping. Other stroke play and putting will come with practice, but the art of chipping the ball 10-20 yards is beyond me at the moment, it can literally go anywhere. Very frustrating when you start with an OK tee or approach shot, and then take 2/3/4 shots to get the ball in the region of the flag.

• delroofer said:

Has anyone on here tried Night Golf?
    This is a link to the company that organises these events. http://www.thenightgolfcompany.co.uk/

That looks excellent,

• Sponsored links:

• Played Trent Park yesterday morning. Hate that f***ing place - took 5 hours to get round, and we teed off at 8:20. If we'd teed off at midday I'd still be going up the fifteenth now. Front nine was awful, back nine much better - but I've only plaed once since coming back from Oz three months ago. Am flying to Canada and Mexico this week but NOT taking the golf clubs as I'm going with a girl. It must be serious if I'm not taking my clubs!
  • Trent park is always a nightmare - played it a couple of times on a Sat morning before away games at Arsenal and never finished a round !! 5 hrs+ and we would still only be on the 15th !

I had my first rounds of the year recently. Bit of a nightmare round Tudor Park - as a pair we lost 7&6 and I don't think I got a par all round.

last week was better - I played Leatherhead and scored 32 points off 20. Funny course with plenty of quirky, short par 4's - but in good nick.
  • Ha kwolity leroy. Hope its everything u hope for and more pal.

Now....once is ok but after that we all expect u to be converting her to the greatest game
  • Played Trent Park yesterday morning. Hate that f***ing place - took 5 hours to get round, and we teed off at 8:20. If we'd teed off at midday I'd still be going up the fifteenth now. Front nine was awful, back nine much better - but I've only plaed once since coming back from Oz three months ago. Am flying to Canada and Mexico this week but NOT taking the golf clubs as I'm going with a girl. It must be serious if I'm not taking my clubs!

LOL, can I be the first to say?

In the hole!
  • Thinking of playing the 9 hole par 3 at Gravesend (http://www.gravesendgolfcentre.com/) Sunday morning, if anybody fancies a round
  • playing golf at le touquet next weekend wouldnt mind a few tips ,green fees seem a bit pricey ...playing the 9 hole le manoir next friday and then la foret on the saturday

my first time over there so id play hardelot and is it the "dunes" course if i go again

if i break 95 at la foret think id be happy
  • lolwray said:

playing golf at le touquet next weekend wouldnt mind a few tips ,green fees seem a bit pricey ...playing the 9 hole le manoir next friday and then la foret on the saturday

my first time over there so id play hardelot and is it the "dunes" course if i go again

if i break 95 at la foret think id be happy

I went to Le Touquet a few years back lolwray. Absolutely loved it there and it is a very easy journey.

We played Belle Dune and the Hardelot Pines courses. Really enjoyed both but Hardelot Pines was a lovely lovely course full of tree-lined fairways and was in excellent condition. I found it similar to the Longcross course at Foxhills (which is also very nice).

Le Touquet itself is great, the beer is very expensive though.
  • echo all of the above, have been to Le Touquet and it's quality, haven't played a bad course out there
  • thanks for that fellas ...been to le touquet before but not for golf ...seems a lovely place (flew from Lydd) funnily enough will be playing in a society day at foxhills in June..if the beers expensive i ll stick to the wine (lol..wray)
  • Foxhills is a great place lolwray, you'll enjoy it there. Two good courses and excellent food/bar area for a society as well. The Longcross is defo my favourite but the Bernard Hunt course is alright as well.