Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options

Thinking of playing the 9 hole par 3 at Gravesend (http://www.gravesendgolfcentre.com/) Sunday morning, if anybody fancies a round

I actually would, but don't drive. Been thinking of Princes in Dartford on Sunday though if travelling a few miles isn't any bother. Also a par 3 course, was £9.60 for 18 holes at the weekend last year.
  • Options
    Never played Princes, so would definitely be up for that, as long as you don't mind playing with a total noob. Would have to be a fairly early start to get 18 holes in. I can see it's members only before 9am, so how does a 9am start sound?
  • Options
    Nice, can set an alarm for that. 2 people, 2 rounds should take just under 2 hours. You park in the football ground's car park, then pay in their reception.

It has a couple of tough-ish holes but it's made for beginners/old people really, and offers short game practice which is what's most important. I'll inbox you my number.
  • Options
    Great, I'll await your inbox message
  • Options
    Got a round at Royal St Georges next month - looking forward to it A LOT!
  • Options
    St Georges after this heatwave will be a nitemare - esp if the rough is up !!

I played a new course to me last week - Horam Park. Only a 9 hole course but has some interesting holes.

• Options
    Played Beckenham Park last week. Tee off at 6.15am and did 18 holes in just over three hours. Course in half decent condition. 33 pts off 22. Selsdon park next on the agenda
  • Options
    red_murph said:

lolwray said:

playing golf at le touquet next weekend wouldnt mind a few tips ,green fees seem a bit pricey ...playing the 9 hole le manoir next friday and then la foret on the saturday

my first time over there so id play hardelot and is it the "dunes" course if i go again

if i break 95 at la foret think id be happy

I went to Le Touquet a few years back lolwray. Absolutely loved it there and it is a very easy journey.

We played Belle Dune and the Hardelot Pines courses. Really enjoyed both but Hardelot Pines was a lovely lovely course full of tree-lined fairways and was in excellent condition. I found it similar to the Longcross course at Foxhills (which is also very nice).

Le Touquet itself is great, the beer is very expensive though.
    yes the longcross course was a challenge for me 34 points off 24 wasnt bad though ....Yes Foxhills a lovely place but a bit "showy" for my tastes

Beckenham Place Park has improved quite a bit recently ....id recommend it for a quick round in the week ...used to be very slow going but i have also managed a 3 hour round there a month ago

• Options
    Played the 9 hole Academy course at Pedham three times in the last couple of weeks. RedPanda will know why I was delighted with a 12 over 39 first time out, second round I carded a 6 over 33, which left me disappointed with a 9 over 36 on my final round. Playing the 9 hole Valley course at Lullingstone this weekend. Should prove more of a challenge than Pedham as has 6 par 4s and most holes slope one way or the other.
  • Options
    I used to play Becky Park twice a day, pretty much every day, in the school summer holidays as a youngster. A group of us used to love it there despite the enormous queues at times. Unfortunately the last time I played it, the place had really deteriorated which was such a shame.

Glad to hear it has improved a bit lolwray as have good memories of that place and it's also where I shot my lowest ever round :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    red_murph said:

I used to play Becky Park twice a day, pretty much every day, in the school summer holidays as a youngster. A group of us used to love it there despite the enormous queues at times. Unfortunately the last time I played it, the place had really deteriorated which was such a shame.

Glad to hear it has improved a bit lolwray as have good memories of that place and it's also where I shot my lowest ever round :)

same here .!..those queues were horrendous ...(i am talking about mid 70s early 80s)... but i was very pleasantly suprised when i played there a few weeks back

• Options
    First course I ever played on was beckenham back in early 80s.
    My dad would wake me up whilst it was still dark. we'd get to the gate just before first light and wait for the green keepers to arrive.
    There along with lullingstone and high elms (with its dishonesty box) are the only courses I played from the age of 11-14.
    We'd sometimes be finished by 8 o'clock in the summer. The early bird preference has stuck with me ever since.
  • Options
    I've played it twice...........both times having to queue for almost an hour for a start time.

always remember the last few holes - finished 10,10 which hurt my card a bit !!
  • Options
    I also started playing at beckenham when i was a kid , the par 3 , 5th hole was once the longest par 3 in europe, but the back 9 used to be superb , havent played there for years but have some great memories used to have so many single figured golfers up there , the club championship used to have 3 divisions , nowadays i was told they only have 20 or so entering the club championship sad really.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Has anybody seen the state of Barnehurst recently? Absolutely awful.
  • Options

Has anybody seen the state of Barnehurst recently? Absolutely awful.</
    blockquote>

Played a few weeks. 9th a real state. Loads of people asking for refunds. To be fair they shouldn't be charging when the course is undergoing so much development.

• Options
    Anyone played and recommends selsdon park?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Anyone played and recommends selsdon park?

I've not played there for a year or so James but it was alright when I did play it. Can't remember it massively but it's not bad.

• Options
    Cheers, just bored of the same old courses in the Sidcup area.
  • Options
    Yeah a decent course but several raised greens just does my head in as I don't seem able to judge the distances well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addington Palace is my favourite in that area, never been a fan of Selsdon
  • Options
    el_diablo said:

Members only?

How tough? Can't be playing a Lullingstone type course where every shot is on a slope.
  • Options
    Addington Palace is £20 twilight after 4 and not members only.
  • Options
    Chislehurst is ok, so is Chelsfield lakes
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Recently back from a stag do that involved two rounds at the Oceanico / Amendoeira golf resort. One course designed by Faldo, the other by O'Connor Jr. Absolute different class. Also had the Blackburn squad staying at the complex (Apparently Pedersen has dodgy hammys).

oceanicogolf.com/our-courses/portugal-the-algarve/oceanico-faldo-course/course-overview.html

Well worth a look if anyone is interested /planning on going to the Algarve. Link above has a youtube video link of the course. Stunning.
  • Options
    I used to play Beckenham loads as a teenager in the early 90’s, often skipping from the top of the 18th fairway onto the 1st tee and off again. Happy days.

Also played my best ever round here in a lightening storm. I’d got to the 16th tee and was still on par for the round. However, the dark cloudy storm that had started on the 11th hole, was now dropping lighting rods all around me and my step-brother on the 16th tee. By the time we got to the 16th green, a crimson faced step father was rushing towards us – and to a chorus of cheers & jeers from the old swindle boys up on the terrace, he physically dragged us away from the green, and me away from the only sniff I’ve ever had of a perfect round.
    On the other hand, I am still here to tell the tale.

Re. the queue’s on the 1st tee - 4balls would often leave just one man in the queue while the rest of them sat up on the terrace boozing. A queue that looked like 20 odd people could infact be closer to a 100 and was an absolute nightmare.

For the amount of traffic that went through that course though, the greens were unbelievably good. When the council started leasing BPP to private companies in the later 90’s they seemed to change the grass seeding, and like my stomach, it has never been as tight since.

If you’re looking to play BPP nowadays, I’d recommend booking your tee-time through their own website which offers discounts for specific tee times. £10 for a 2pm tee at the weekend is pretty good going, but you gets what you pay for.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Has anybody seen the state of Barnehurst recently? Absolutely awful.</
    blockquote>

Played a few weeks. 9th a real state. Loads of people asking for refunds. To be fair they shouldn't be charging when the course is undergoing so much development.

problem is not just with the development but also because some kind of weed killer got into the watering system in around April time and killed areas of grass on most greens. To date, these greens have not been repaired to an acceptable standard.
  • Options
    el_diablo said:

Addington palace is a lovely golf course but i must say the addington is better got some great holes on it , i totally recommend this course to anyone.
  • Options
    boogica said:

el_diablo said:

Addington palace is a lovely golf course but i must say the addington is better got some great holes on it , i totally recommend this course to anyone.
    I have to agree being a member, but the severe lack of rain has left our fairways rock hard and very difficult to hold now. A month ago the course was in unbelievably great condition.
  • Options
    Playing westerham tomorrow.
    Does noades still own it? I need to know so I can plan my bowel movements.