Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options
    Yeah thats the one
  • Options
    I also managed to play three more courses whilst down here - Moonah Links, Eagle Ridge and St Andrew's Beach (all in the peninsula area to the south of Melbourne.

Every single one of them was abolutely outstanding - far, far better tha any course I've played in England. Challenging layouts - but not ridiculously long, beautifully kept greens, curtains and fairways, friendly staff and the green fees are ridiculously low compared with what you'd pay for a similar course back home.

Loved the course at Moonah - second only to Kingston Heath for me. I'm considering moving down to Oz just for the golf!
  • Options
    Lots of unused beautiful courses in South Australia. I played everday for 3 weekwhen I travelled from Melbourne to Perth.
  • Options
    Sergio Garcia, I think I love you
  • Options
    Literally just taken up the sport. Had 3 trips to the range and have had 1 lesson so far. Got a couple of lessons lined up for next month, plus going to try and get to the range at least once a week. So hoping to be in position to get on a course in may.
  • Options
    Have never known weather like this! Managed to get out last Thursday for 36 holes in a warm up before our Surrey 5s match which got postponed due to snow! Have got addicted to The Big Break on The Golf Channel - compelling stuff. Down to 14, without playing a shot in January - damn rule 23.
  • Options
    Top class from Sergio!
  • Options
    Took way too long to get it down from there :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    that was a better connection than most of my tee shots
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i spent last weds thursday and friday at st mellion ...i played the first 9 holes of the nicklaus course in atrocious condtions for a 62 ...courses closed after that still trying to thaw and dry out !

anyone played there in decent weather ? would be interested to know how you ve got on
  • Options
    I played it about 10 years ago in August (1st or 2nd game of the season when we draw 1-1 at Bolton)...........course was in great nick but my score didn't reflect it !!
  • Options
    without wanting this to sound like a shameless plug, I am a golf pro based in south east london, a charlton fan 20+ years & recently done some work with our community trust. If any of you golfers are interested I'd be glad to help with lessons & advice. Chris
  • Options
    ACAP said:

without wanting this to sound like a shameless plug, I am a golf pro based in south east london, a charlton fan 20+ years & recently done some work with our community trust. If any of you golfers are interested I'd be glad to help with lessons & advice. Chris

thanks Chris,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but my swing is beyond help !!

• Options
    Chris - PM me and I'll be happy to come and see you for some lessons!
  • Options
    Played Darenth valley today (badly).
    Christ it was cold.
  • Options
    Haven't played since I got back from Oz - only one trip to the range too. Game is going to be in piss-poor shape (worse than usual!) for my next round in a couple of weeks. That's providing, of course, that it ever fucking thaws out.
  • Options
    Played the Edinburgh course at Wentworth today. Only hit one fairway with my driver all way round...must get back to the driving range!
  • Options
    Has anyone played at Barnehurst since they've done it up? If so, any good? I keep meaning to get over there, I like the idea of the new first hole going down the hill.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Has anyone played at Barnehurst since they've done it up? If so, any good? I keep meaning to get over there, I like the idea of the new first hole going down the hill.

I was a member there until 2005 & don't think I've played it since. I've heard they've made lots of changes.....so, where is the 1st ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Played the Edinburgh course at Wentworth today. Only hit one fairway with my driver all way round...must get back to the driving range!

what were the conditions like ? I'm not dearing to get my clubs out until the suns out and teh grass has started to gfrow but I would imagine Wentworth would be ok (although they park on the edinburgh course when the PGA Championship is being played on the West course)

• Options
    1st at Barnehurst is a completely new par 3, pretty tight and plenty of trouble left or right. 2nd to 8th are same as before. 9th has been extended to a Par 4, with the green the same as before in front of the clubhouse.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

I was a member there until 2005 & don't think I've played it since. I've heard they've made lots of changes.....so, where is the 1st ?
    http://www.bexley.gov.uk/media/image/3/n/The_masterplan_for_Barnehurst_Golf_Course_(click_to_enlarge)_2.JPG

I thought they were remodelling some other holes as well, like planting trees, new bunkers, etc. Either way it's good that they have a proper range now.

• Options

RedPanda said:

The course needed a lot of changes was a shithole when i played there years ago the bar is all new now but years ago it wasnt any better than my garden shed.
  • Options

what were the conditions like ? I'm not dearing to get my clubs out until the suns out and teh grass has started to gfrow but I would imagine Wentworth would be ok (although they park on the edinburgh course when the PGA Championship is being played on the West course)

Perfect conditions and no one playing. My fav course at wentworth I think but it is certainly better insummer when in full bloom.
  • Options
    Went to the range today for the first time since getting back from Oz. Game in pretty good shape - watch it fall to bits as soon as the temperature rises enough to bother playing.
  • Options

1st at Barnehurst is a completely new par 3, pretty tight and plenty of trouble left or right. 2nd to 8th are same as before. 9th has been extended to a Par 4, with the green the same as before in front of the clubhouse.

The 9th was always a par 4.........fairly short at around 250 yds, but then all the holes were pretty short.

When I first played it in 1995 the 3rd was a par 4, but tee shots kept hitting the house on the corner, so they put the tee further down and made it a par 3.

Then, just as I stopped being a member, they changed the 1st from a par 4 to a par 3 (i think) and they doing work to change the 2nd and 8th............

• Options
    Never seen the point of being a member. Same course all year seems boring. Anyone know of any good deals doing the rounds at the minute?
  • Options
    Played for the first time this year, turns out Barnehurst's driving range is over a year behind schedule. Given that and the wind, an inconsistent 84 was alright.
  • Options
    Played Toot Hill in deepest, darkest Essex on a society day on Sunday. Lovely course - in pretty good nick considering the winter. It was blowing an absolute gale - went round in 90, which was pretty good considering.