Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Longcross is the better of the 2 imo hunt is great but longvross looks better and plays better
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I was a member at Pedham Place for 10 years til switching to Austin Lodge last year. Best round at Pedham was 77 and have had half a dozen sub 80 rounds but my best at Austin Lodge is 86. Bloody tough putting two good nines together!
    Still consider myself a 12 handicap as my card is usually wrecked by a few bad holes.
    Have played some great courses in my time.... The Belfry (Brabazon), Charthills, London Club, Forest of Arden to name but a few in the UK but there's someting special about playing abroad.
    Notables Ive played overseas are Emirates hills in Dubai, La Cala near Malaga, All the Vilamoura courses, Bintan Golf Resort (Nicklaus & Baker-Finch courses) in Indonesia, Corbalis near Dublin. La Foret in Le Touquet, France.

Absolutely love the game and could happily play everyday

I don't want to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" debate, but I will say that having played quite a few of the top courses in the UK (St Andrews, carnoustie,Wentworth (Easr & Wesr), Celtic Manor,Woburn,Walton Heath, Forest of Arden, The London, East Sussex National,Gleneagles,Royal St Georges, Royal Birkdale........) the best courses are in Wales, then Scotland. Last year I played Aberdovey,Royal St Davids,Cardigan,Porthmadoc, Nyfyn - plus a few others - and would gladly go back and play them again & again, You can keep your Chart Hills - just give me a good traditional course !

• Options
    Having finished second in my club comp this week-end, I'm down to 18.4. Before I met my wife I got down to 13.4 at Hever Castle and was quite handy. Best score is +8 at a course down in Devon though a couple of weeks ago I shot +10 at West Malling off the yellows. My mates don't let me play off more than 15, which, perversely, I prefer. I don't play enough in the Winter due to CAFC and Vets' football to reduce my club handicap enough in the Summer.
  • Options
    All those saying about an official handicap, what about Golfshake.com, where you fill in your rounds & it generates your handicap, stableford points, give you your GIR & FIR percentages, putting %, average par scores & compares against the average handicappers, etc as well as being able to give you an official handicap certificate, can't you use that?
  • Options
    I use Today's Golfer which does the same thing and I include all my society rounds etc too - that has generated a 14.8 handicap for me, which is what I use with my mates.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I use Today's Golfer which does the same thing and I include all my society rounds etc too - that has generated a 14.8 handicap for me, which is what I use with my mates.

A friend uses that. Into this recording stats stuff - FIR's, GIR's, putts per hole etc - the dashboard overview gives a very good insight to where the main weaknesses are. I've always known the short game is vitally important, but until you start actual noting how many putts you've made you don't realise how much improvement you could make.

Generally off the tee, fairways & putting I'm performing well...attacking the green from 100 yards in is now a weakness as I'm struggling to judge my swing & club to suit the distance, generally overhitting it at the moment.

• Options
    I live right by Walton Heath and it is a fantastic track, quite a hefty green fee but it is worth the money. Another good course in the area is Cuddington which is a members course but it does accept visitors.
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

I was a member at Pedham Place for 10 years til switching to Austin Lodge last year. Best round at Pedham was 77 and have had half a dozen sub 80 rounds but my best at Austin Lodge is 86. Bloody tough putting two good nines together!
    Still consider myself a 12 handicap as my card is usually wrecked by a few bad holes.
    Have played some great courses in my time.... The Belfry (Brabazon), Charthills, London Club, Forest of Arden to name but a few in the UK but there's someting special about playing abroad.
    Notables Ive played overseas are Emirates hills in Dubai, La Cala near Malaga, All the Vilamoura courses, Bintan Golf Resort (Nicklaus & Baker-Finch courses) in Indonesia, Corbalis near Dublin. La Foret in Le Touquet, France.

Absolutely love the game and could happily play everyday

I don't want to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" debate, but I will say that having played quite a few of the top courses in the UK (St Andrews, carnoustie,Wentworth (Easr & Wesr), Celtic Manor,Woburn,Walton Heath, Forest of Arden, The London, East Sussex National,Gleneagles,Royal St Georges, Royal Birkdale........) the best courses are in Wales, then Scotland. Last year I played Aberdovey,Royal St Davids,Cardigan,Porthmadoc, Nyfyn - plus a few others - and would gladly go back and play them again & again, You can keep your Chart Hills - just give me a good traditional course !

Really? i love Charthills although i have yet to indulge myself in a traditional scottish links course, I'm sure that'd be fun. The Corbalis course near Dublin was a taster, extremely tough finding the fairway over a sea of gorse & heather. Played Princes near Sandwich but not sure how much it resembles the RSG
  • Options
    My driving lets me down. If I use the 3 wood, my stats are better than 50% in hitting the fairway. If I use my driver, I'm down below 30%. Problem is where I play, when we're off the whites in competitions, I really do have to use the driver on at least half of the holes to stand a chance of getting on in regulation. My trips to the driving range are in order!
  • Options
    I'm a member of Littlestone which is a fantastic track. Love RSG & Princes but I think Royal Cinque Ports is the best course down there. Have also played Rye which is proper exclusive but probably my least favourite of the five. Irelead is great for golf & have played, Tralee, Portmarnock, The European Club, Druids Glen, Killarney (Killeen & Mahoney's Point), Dingle, Ballbunion (Cashen) & Kenmare. The European Club is my favourite golf course anywhere & the views at Tralee are spectacular. Never played in Scotland so we're going to head up to St Andrews in April & hopefully play the Old & two of the other courses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    putting is huge! i always keep my scorecard with 2 numbers (score/no of putts) per hole.
  • Options
    Drive for show, putt for dough. It's not rocket science
  • Options
    Yep.
    I laugh at people who spend hundreds of pounds on a driver that they don't even have measured for them. they then spend hours up the range spanking balls as far as they can in any direction. they go to a course and spend half an hour doing the same before walking past the practice putting green to the first tee to use the driver for probably 12 shots. whilst carrying a putter they nicked from sidcup pitch and putt in 1984.
  • Options
    Threadkiller said: Drive for show, putt for dough. It's not rocket science

and paulbaconsarnie said: Yep.
    I laugh at people who spend hundreds of pounds on a driver that they don't even have measured for them. they then spend hours up the range spanking balls as far as they can in any direction. they go to a course and spend half an hour doing the same before walking past the practice putting green to the first tee to use the driver for probably 12 shots. whilst carrying a putter they nicked from sidcup pitch and putt in 1984.

But my friends you have to be able to get off the tee and in play otherwise a good short game is no use if your second shot is out of the bongo's. Sam Snead once said that you should practice driving and then shots from 100yds to improve and he knew a thing or two about the game.

however I do agree about the twonks who spend £300 on a driver and then think they are going to hit the ball like Lee Westwood
  • Options

Drive for show, putt for dough. It's not rocket science

It's not, but putting the ball on the fairway is still important to get yourself on the green early enough to make the putts count!
  • Options

Yep.

How much of a difference do you think a £100+ putter makes compared to one for a score? I bought one of those fake Rossa ones off some golf website, generally I like it. My mate has a £125 Odyssey putter, but he's yet to improve his putting. May have to give his a go.

Got an R7 draw driver for £99 in a sale, makes a huge difference to the bog standard driver I had.
  • Options
    It's all about feel with a putter. If it's cheap and it works then that's great.

I've got a White Hot that I've had for years now, love the feel of it and wouldn't contemplate changing it.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

It's all about feel with a putter. If it's cheap and it works then that's great.

I've got a White Hot that I've had for years now, love the feel of it and wouldn't contemplate changing it.

agreed that its all about feel on the greens. i tried about 3or4 different used putters before i knew what kind of putter was right for me. u can find/demo some cheap putters out there before spashing the cash on a new putter (i use a mid-mallet putter nike ic 2010b)....

• Options
    Putting is all about feel and it is a part of my game I've been lucky with and never really suffered. Used my Scotty Cameron Newport 2 for about 6-7 years. If it is not broken don't fix it, even sent it over to Scotty Cameron in the states and had it personalised.
  • Options
    I regularly have beetween 27 and 31 putts - 9 times out of the last 10, so my stats there are better than an "18" handicapper. Have a two ball odyssey and love it, very happy with that part of my game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    anyone who has a official handicap should have it applied at all times, any mickey mouse society's that don't adhere to it do not know the rules of golf, on the same front, if playing in a society you should submit your card at the end of the competition to your handicap holding club for adjustment to your golf handicap.
  • Options
    Played as a guest at a Seniors event at my home club, Manor of Groves yesterday. Came second in the guest competition with 41 points.
    Forgot to take cold drinks out in my bag and suffered a bit with the heat. Don't forget to keep hydrated when it's scorching hot.
    Like supaclive I also use a 2 ball odyssey putter and would not dream of changing it.
  • Options

anyone who has a official handicap should have it applied at all times, any mickey mouse society's that don't adhere to it do not know the rules of golf, on the same front, if playing in a society you should submit your card at the end of the competition to your handicap holding club for adjustment to your golf handicap.

I'd love to submit all my cards Steve but my club doesn't accept society cards, only registered tournament cards, off the whites.

• Options
    hadicaps can still be adjusted off of the yellows as the standard scratch for each club differs whether
    you play off yellows or whites.
  • Options
    No Steve, not at my club - they do not accept them! You're quite welcome to give them a call and complain but club policy says No!
  • Options
    bunch of old time farts by the sound of it.
  • Options
    Played Farleigh Court today,course is in fantastic nick,greens are superb,rough is a bit harsh though. First 18 holes for a while and went round 14 over,well pleased.
  • Options
    I played Farleigh back in March and it was absolutely f***ing atrocious. Never playing there again - the greens were an utter disgrace. F***ing liberty to charge you full price when every one of them was cut & sanded AND hollow-tined. Hate it when courses do that.
  • Options

I played Farleigh back in March and it was absolutely f***ing atrocious. Never playing there again - the greens were an utter disgrace. F***ing liberty to charge you full price when every one of them was cut & sanded AND hollow-tined. Hate it when courses do that.

totally agree the place is a shitehole.
  • Options
    The addington , wildernesse, knole park ,north foreland, princes , st georges hill, crowborough beacon , to name a few are superb golf courses in the south east , if you havent played them i suggest you do.