Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options

Off to Philadelphia once more tomorrow, so hoping to get a round in at Walnut Lane at the weekend. Last time I played it was my first 18 holes (having only started playing earlier this year). Since then I've had many lessons and played a couple of courses, so really hoping to improve from the 110 I shot first time out.

How did it go? I only ended up playing twice this year, unfortunately I seem to be passed fighting frozen ground and reverberating shafts.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Off to Philadelphia once more tomorrow, so hoping to get a round in at Walnut Lane at the weekend. Last time I played it was my first 18 holes (having only started playing earlier this year). Since then I've had many lessons and played a couple of courses, so really hoping to improve from the 110 I shot first time out.

How did it go? I only ended up playing twice this year, unfortunately I seem to be passed fighting frozen ground and reverberating shafts.

Work and rain meant I didn't get to play unfortunately. Moving house soon, so clubs packed away, hoping to get to the range early next month.
  • Options

going to play in a 4 ball with an ex England international striker on Friday as a result of a won auction bid out in Essex cant wait

How much did he bid?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

going to play in a 4 ball with an ex England international striker on Friday as a result of a won auction bid out in Essex cant wait

How much did he bid?
    Is there one?
  • Options

btw - where is the kent & surrey course that was talked about above ?? Not heard of it before & I've played most courses in the area !!

Kent & Surrey was formerly known as Edenbridge where it is located. The new title refers to the fact that the little river that runs across the fourth is the county boundary (allegedly). I used to play it regularly 20 years ago and it was a good course. It has been bought by a private owner who has redeveloped some of the land and ruined what used to be a good second hole par 4 over a pond. It is now a nondescript par 3. The course used to be well maintained but is now a glorified pay and play which get hammered. I last played it four years ago and it was a swamp. Ok for £8.50 but I wouldn't cross the road to play it now. Pity.

i didnt realise there had been a name change ...it was a real mess when i played it some years ago

does anyone know how hever plays nowadays ?

• Options
    lolwray said:

I played Hever about a month ago - squally showers for the first half of the round and then the sun came out - despite the rain I thought the course played really well (first time I've played there) Fairways in good condition and the greens were excellent too. Only problem was that we had buggys & if you didn't follow an exact path that was shown on the sat nav screen they would stop, telling you that you were in a "restricted" area, and you would have to wait 20 secs before you could move off again.........bizarre !!
  • Options

lolwray said:

I played Hever about a month ago - squally showers for the first half of the round and then the sun came out - despite the rain I thought the course played really well (first time I've played there) Fairways in good condition and the greens were excellent too. Only problem was that we had buggys & if you didn't follow an exact path that was shown on the sat nav screen they would stop, telling you that you were in a "restricted" area, and you would have to wait 20 secs before you could move off again.........bizarre !!
    glad its established itself now ...cant remember which course it was but the holes around the turn were very good

may give it another try one day soon

• Options
    lolwray said:

btw - where is the kent & surrey course that was talked about above ?? Not heard of it before & I've played most courses in the area !!

Kent & Surrey was formerly known as Edenbridge where it is located. The new title refers to the fact that the little river that runs across the fourth is the county boundary (allegedly). I used to play it regularly 20 years ago and it was a good course. It has been bought by a private owner who has redeveloped some of the land and ruined what used to be a good second hole par 4 over a pond. It is now a nondescript par 3. The course used to be well maintained but is now a glorified pay and play which get hammered. I last played it four years ago and it was a swamp. Ok for £8.50 but I wouldn't cross the road to play it now. Pity.
    i didnt realise there had been a name change ...it was a real mess when i played it some years ago

I was reading this thread and had no idea K&S was formerly Edenbridge. Was an ok track back in the day. Not brilliant but alright. Seems like it has massively gone downhill.

I'm assuming that Hever still plays... long.
  • Options
    Played sweetwoods for the first time yesterday.
    Really nice course if you ignore the palace flag flying in the car park. I take it is one of noades courses.
  • Options
    Played Wrotham Heath Friday lovely little course which in the summer would pose more problems as it is very tree lined and most fairways are shaped to draw towards
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Palace flag at sweetwoods is not because of noades, but because it is owned by their joint-owner, whose name escapes me right now. The co-chairman or whatever his title is. Think its martin long come to think of it, defo not parrish.
    Does anyone have any experience/feelings towards woodlands manor gc near west kingsdown?
  • Options
    ACAP said:

Palace flag at sweetwoods is not because of noades, but because it is owned by their joint-owner, whose name escapes me right now. The co-chairman or whatever his title is. Think its martin long come to think of it, defo not parrish.
    Does anyone have any experience/feelings towards woodlands manor gc near west kingsdown?

Was a member at woodlands a couple of years ago but wasn't playing enough to warrant keeping it.
    The course can lay wet in the winter. Preferred the lower part of the course.
    The eiger is a quirky hole and the 18th, though picturesque, can be a lottery. You'd hit what seems a perfect iron only for it to pitch a few feet short of the green on the road and see it bounce sixty yards theough the green.
    Staff made me feel welcome and with membership you get to play a number of other courses, something I didn't make the most of.
  • Options

ACAP said:

Was a member at woodlands a couple of years ago but wasn't playing enough to warrant keeping it.
    The course can lay wet in the winter. Preferred the lower part of the course.
    The eiger is a quirky hole and the 18th, though picturesque, can be a lottery. You'd hit what seems a perfect iron only for it to pitch a few feet short of the green on the road and see it bounce sixty yards theough the green.
    Staff made me feel welcome and with membership you get to play a number of other courses, something I didn't make the most of.
    Thanks, interesting you say it lays wet, considering the blurb on their home page about recent drainage works and no temp greens! Wouldn't like to have seen it before if that's the case!
  • Options
    Played Selsdon park at weekend. £15 after 11am. Great course.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Played Selsdon park at weekend. £15 after 11am. Great course.

Hows it playing at the moment? Only live down the road from there and have only played it twice this year, probably going up there next week.
  • Options
    I love Selsdon. Punishing but fun. Beware, in the winter the fairways freeze up really quickly - even if its not that cold, it seems the ground freezes solid. Greens can also often play really soft - I've had more than a few balls plug hard.
  • Options
    Yeah, the greens can get a bit soggy up there. Had some blinding rounds up there, the best being 7 over but equally have had some real shockers. As LA says, punishing but fun.
  • Options
    I do love the 1st hole.......always like to open up with a par 5, especially a downhill one that shows the lie of the land.
  • Options
    Yes, enjoyed 17th and 18th. Hard but with the potential to score well. Greens soggy but in fair condition. Temp tee areas. Shot a 97. Fairly happy. Tee'd off at 11.24 and just made it round.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Thanks, interesting you say it lays wet, considering the blurb on their home page about recent drainage works and no temp greens! Wouldn't like to have seen it before if that's the case!

I was a member at Woodlands in the early 90s before I had kids and had to give up for a few years. It was a proper private members club then - no tee off times and owned by the bloke who lived next door and ruled with a rod of iron. Nice people and as others have said a course of two halves! Very much prefer the bottom half. Played it a couple of years ago for the first time since 95. It seemed short but that's because my new clubs/balls are much longer so I was hitting at least a couple of clubs less than I used to. Trees have all grown so it feels less open. Lots of work done on the course. A new ugly reservoir up the top and revamped clubhouse (preferred it as it was tbh). Had more of a public course feel than before. Guess that's the way of the world. Well worth a visit though for the bottom nine holes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That reservoir is unbelievable! has completely ruined the playing of that hole, tee shot looks like you have to hit into a corridor, or be in the trees or the water hazard.
  • Options

I do love the 1st hole.......always like to open up with a par 5, especially a downhill one that shows the lie of the land.

Enough about your latest night out on your online dating site, how's the golf going?
  • Options
    Got my first lesson tomorrow in over two years. Am concerned my game is going to get torn into pieces....
  • Options
    I'm sure it won't be, hopefully the notion that you have to be taken to pieces before being able to get any better is disappearing from our industry!
  • Options
    Have to say, two lessons in and my pro (James Marshall) has been excellent. Worked on just alignment and hands position at impact. Made a huge difference already. Ball flight, distance and bad shot control already much improved. 10 is the magic number this year, that's the aim.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Have to say, two lessons in and my pro (James Marshall) has been excellent. Worked on just alignment and hands position at impact. Made a huge difference already. Ball flight, distance and bad shot control already much improved. 10 is the magic number this year, that's the aim.

Blimey - that'll be, what, 60-62 under on most courses?

:o)
  • Options
    Very good Leroy! :-) When is the next Charlton Life golf day anyway?
  • Options
    36 points on Sunday, 1.8 cut. Won 40% of my lesson costs back in prizemoney
  • Options
    Another 37 points today. Cut another shot. 25% of my fees won again
  • Options
    ACAP said:

I can't quite make my mind up about Woodlands. Like quite a few of the holes, but some not at all. Generally played it in good conditions, each time on one particular hole I've overrun the green and lost balls in the shortest of whispy grass, completely baffled at where the ball has disappeared to, which is frustrating!

Not sure about this talk of a reservoir, is this the lake on the 13th?