Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• Options
    As usual, the play-offs are already compulsive viewing (I'm knackered!). Tonight's game in Toronto is massive and the Jets had a big win last night. Winner of the Jets Blues series has a chance I think.
    Hadn't paid too much attention to the Islanders in the regular season, but they've impressed me and are good to watch. Also, Gaudreau of the Flames is exciting, the speed he plays at is immense. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    It's Tampa Bay's to lose - they have been dominant all season, never let up even in the run in.  Strength in depth in all areas.  Unfortunately I can't see beyond them - never liked the idea of hockey in Florida.

Unfortunately I can't see the Leafs getting by the Bruins as I would love to see Chara/Marchand etc start their post season in 2 weeks time.  Leafs have been poor in the run in, no momentum.  Sadly, the drought is set to continue for them.  

Think the west will be more open/interesting.  I fancy the Flames to progress.  That said, I saw the Jets earlier in season in Toronto - they looked good. Preds have some big game players also. 

What do I know - Didn't see this coming! 
  • Options
    I didn’t enjoy that very much.
    No.  That said, the Leafs would have taken 1-1 going back to Toronto, but not with Kadri looking at a multi game suspension - history repeats itself.  
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Anyone see Ovechkin lay Svechnikov out last night? Damn, that's a brave move by the kid - everyone knows Ovi can fight when he needs to. Absolute beat down, but he got some shots in before getting sparked. Had the desired effect as well - Caps were totally flat after that. Think that series will go the distance. Avs looked really good from the highlights I saw as well, think they have a chance of an upset over Calgary. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Anyone see Ovechkin lay Svechnikov out last night? Damn, that's a brave move by the kid - everyone knows Ovi can fight when he needs to. Absolute beat down, but he got some shots in before getting sparked. Had the desired effect as well - Caps were totally flat after that. Think that series will go the distance. Avs looked really good from the highlights I saw as well, think they have a chance of an upset over Calgary. 
    The kid just turned 19. What was he thinking?  Glad the caps lost.  

Great game 3 in Leafs/Bruins series.  Expected Boston to repeat game 2 tactics, but fortunately were unable to.  Think they missed Kadri!

Flames/Avs series is hotting up also.  Good to see some finely balanced contests.  
  • Options
    Tell you what, I’m glad I’m not sticking any money down on the outcome of these fixtures Cos I would be bang in trouble if I had 
  • Options
    And that’s that! Tampa lose 7-3 and are swept in the first round! 
  • Options
    And that’s that! Tampa lose 7-3 and are swept in the first round! 
    I had a tenner on them to win outright at 15/2 favourites!!

I'm blaming Leroy for that ;), quote:

"Lightning are the best team I've ever seen. Better than the Oilers in the 80s. Better than the Redwings in the 2000s"
  • Options
    Should have put 'best regular season team' 😂

Seriously - what a meltdown. Worse even than the Pens, who just didn't turn up all series. 
  • Options
    Both Lightning and Penguins swept on the same day. Nobody had that bet.  

The Lightning remind me of the old Sabres teams.  They seem to play at top speed all season and look dominant. But when the playoffs arrive, and everyone ups their game, they don’t have that extra gear. It’s not that they are playing any worse, just everyone else is playing better.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I said it was TBs to lose, and lose it they did!  

Next 4 days are going to be interesting, starting with Leafs/Bruins game 4 tonight.....
  • Options
    Bruins tied the series with a 6-4 win despite their best attempt to throw a lead away in the 3rd period.

Flames lose again and are now 3-1 down in the series, didn’t see that coming. 
  • Options
    Leafs were the better team last night, but Rask was better than Andersen and the Bruins took their chances. 2-2 and we have a 3 game series now.

Not doing great things for my nerves, again.
  • Options
    i know there was a separate thread on this, but as a sporting event, it’s hard to beat the Stanley Cup playoffs.  
  • Options
    i know there was a separate thread on this, but as a sporting event, it’s hard to beat the Stanley Cup playoffs.  
    The intensity of the playoff games is just incredible! Even with the breaks, 3 x 20 minute periods simply fly by.
  • Options
    How do the Jets lose their last SIX home games. 
  • Options
    How do the Jets lose their last SIX home games. 
    That series is nuts. Not one win on home ice. 
  • Options
    It’s so wide open. I think the east is far stronger than the west. 
  • Options
    Leafs win 2-1 in a tight affair at TD Garden, move to 3-2 up in the series with 2 chances at home now to win. 

We’ll still probably mess it up, because, Leafs.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Top 2 teams in the regular season have been elimated in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since the NHL 1967/68 expansion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leafs win 2-1 in a tight affair at TD Garden, move to 3-2 up in the series with 2 chances at home now to win. 

We’ll still probably mess it up, because, Leafs.
    Game 6 is a rare afternoon game (15:00 ET) in Toronto.  That will make viewing it easier for you guys in the UK.  Game 7, if needed, will be in Boston on Tuesday.  Lets hope it doesn't come to that......
  • Options
    On the basis that I have been wrong about everything thus far, I think the Caps are certain to win Stanley Cup!
  • Options
    Bruins win 4-2 in game six. Game 7 on Tuesday night in Boston. 
  • Options
    This was my “stress” reading from game 4. Guess what time the game started. Can’t wait to see what it’s like for Game 7

• Options
    Bruins win Game 7 5-1. Game was much closer than the score, with two empty net goals at the end. Now we can start again on Thursday against Columbus. 
  • Options
    Anyone up and watching Vegas vs Sharks? Incredible scenes. 
  • Options
    One of the most bonkers 10 minutes of sport I’ve ever watched. 
  • Options
    Unbelievable game of ice hockey mate! I packed it in at the end of the second, then my brother got me to tell me that it had gone to 3-3!! Turned it back on just as Sharks went 4-3 up! Now looking forward to OT. 

I'm not sure I've seen anything in sport like the NHL playoffs?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Unbelievable game of ice hockey mate! I packed it in at the end of the second, then my brother got me to tell me that it had gone to 3-3!! Turned it back on just as Sharks went 4-3 up! Now looking forward to OT. 

I'm not sure I've seen anything in sport like the NHL playoffs?
    They’re incredibly intense. It’s weird because the regular season games have a habit of being a bit dull imho and the atmosphere in the arenas can be very flat. There’s just not enough riding on them. In the playoffs though, when each game really counts, they become ridiculously exciting and the arenas go mental. 

Just wish the Oilers could get in more than once every 10 years!
  • Options
    That was pretty special. Pure fluke I caught it. Got a new TV and wanted to test out some settings. Turned on just at the face off before the Vegas penalty in the 3rd. Didn’t end up playing with any settings on the TV!