Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• Options
    Pens D went missing in the first period (recurring theme down the stretch) and paid the price. Rest of the game was evenly matched, so fire a rocket up the arse of the defence and I think this series will go the distance. 

Anyone see Boyle's hit on Dickinson in the Nashville/Dallas game? Holy shitballs. First thing they teach you in midget hockey: Keep. Your. Head. Up. 😳😳😳
  • Options
    Wow. Columbus beat Tampa 4-3 after being 3-0 down in game 1.

Can’t sleep so watching Jets vs Blues on freesport (sky 422)
    Tried to stay awake for pretty much all of last night's game, predominantly watching Lightning v Blue Jackets and Jets v Blues. After that first period in Tampa, I didn't see that result coming! What a game!! Blues won ugly in Winnipeg and I think they will go on to win that series. Hope not though as I'd love to see a Canadian team get to the final. Islanders impressed me as well.

Really looking forward to Leafs at Bruins tonight. Got to be Toronto's turn, surely?  ;)
    Jets vs Blues series is going to be tough to call. Blues ramped it up in the last period and the Jets were rattled, blues seem to be in their head and will probably win the series now.

Ah I have no idea how tonight’s going to go, I just hope we haven’t written the leafs off Cos if we have then they’ll punish us, Being a Charlton fan means that you have mountains of doubt and worry when it comes to a sports team you follow but Whatever happens it’ll be an entertaining series. 
  • Options
    Don't think I would've called any of those scores last night.
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Don't think I would've called any of those scores last night.
    Agreed, but early days.  Thought CBJ were dead and buried after 1st period! I'm sure there will be a reaction from the Pens/TB/Jets in game 2.  

Too early to call a series after game 1.  

Looking forward to this evening - Go Leafs Go!
  • Options
    Bermuda_red said: Nice!  Great game.  Best team won tonight.  Game 2 will be a cracker.

• Options

Silly question, but you were obviously there Somerville? Very jealous!

I still haven't managed to see any NHL game. Closest I have got to ice-hockey at that level was a pre-season game in Vegas between Kings and Avalanche in 2008. Also saw a junior league WHL game in Prince George, BC.
  • Options
    Well that wasn’t good 
  • Options
    Well that wasn’t good 
    Did you watch it all Greenie? I fell asleep so only got to see the NHL.Com highlights this morning (it's quite an art, selecting the game highlights whilst trying to avoid seeing the score!). Did the score actually reflect the game? (Not always the case as we know).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I fell asleep about 5 minutes into the 3rd, woke up really nervous with our history of leads over Boston in the Play offs but buzzing we saw it home. 

Big night that for for our young team, was a cracking game. Andersen was huge, allowing him to have a really easy and restful March might be the difference in the series.

Go Leafs Go!
  • Options
    Well that wasn’t good 
    Did you watch it all Greenie? I fell asleep so only got to see the NHL.Com highlights this morning (it's quite an art, selecting the game highlights whilst trying to avoid seeing the score!). Did the score actually reflect the game? (Not always the case as we know).
    I didn’t mate, I haven’t signed up to NHL.com yet but read a few reports and sounds like the leafs dominated from the 2nd onwards. Hopefully it gives the B’s a kick up the arse and we come out firing on all cylinders for game 2.

I noticed Calgary got a shut out win against the Avs. Surprised they managed a shut out but I would be shocked if they don’t reach the final. 
  • Options
    Well that wasn’t good 
    I didn’t mate, I haven’t signed up to NHL.com yet but read a few reports and sounds like the leafs dominated from the 2nd onwards. Hopefully it gives the B’s a kick up the arse and we come out firing on all cylinders for game 2.

I noticed Calgary got a shut out win against the Avs. Surprised they managed a shut out but I would be shocked if they don’t reach the final. 
    Calgary shut out was immense mate! Mike Smith (goal tender) had an absolute blinder.

Just in case you haven't, if you download the official NHL app, you get to see brief game highlights for free. 
  • Options
    Go Leafs!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Go Leafs!
    Or Canucks, indeed 😂
  • Options
    I see from Somerville's shot the board has the phrase "get loud" on it - is that one of those "make some noise" prompts to the fans??  I'm always disappointed by the lack of spontaneity with N American sports fans.  The Leafs fans are really quiet.  I think an EFL crowd of 5K makes more noise than the 16-20K you get in these indoor arenas.  
  • Options
    I see from Somerville's shot the board has the phrase "get loud" on it - is that one of those "make some noise" prompts to the fans??  I'm always disappointed by the lack of spontaneity with N American sports fans.  The Leafs fans are really quiet.  I think an EFL crowd of 5K makes more noise than the 16-20K you get in these indoor arenas.  
    From what I saw when I was there that was usually when there was a Bruins powerplay 
  • Options
    Well that wasn’t good 

Calgary shut out was immense mate! Mike Smith (goal tender) had an absolute blinder.

Just in case you haven't, if you download the official NHL app, you get to see brief game highlights for free. 
    I haven’t but i’ll Get into it now, cheers mate
  • Options
    Watching the Lightning game - losing 2-0 at the end of the first. Makes me feel a bit better after last nights shitshow by the Bruins. 

The “get loud” prompt on the scoreboard - it’s something I’ve never understood but it happens at all US sports. Generally it’s to get people to make a noise when nothing is happening - just like in that shot which was before the game started. 
  • Options
    Watching the Lightning game - losing 2-0 at the end of the first. Makes me feel a bit better after last nights shitshow by the Bruins. 

The “get loud” prompt on the scoreboard - it’s something I’ve never understood but it happens at all US sports. Generally it’s to get people to make a noise when nothing is happening - just like in that shot which was before the game started. 
    End of the second, Blue Jackets 3-0!!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It looked likeTampa we’re starting to lose their composure. Trying to hard to hit people, and forgetting they still had to defend. 
  • Options
    Damn, Torts knows how to coach. Still thunk that series will go to the wire, but what a cushion to have that early. 

Pens were awful last night - biiiiig clearout in the summer and rebuild I think. Can't leave it as long as the Redwings, Kings or Blackhawks did - look at the state of them now. Suspect Malkin and Kessel will be gone
  • Options
    Going to be difficult - Malkin and Kessel both have 3 years and big money and no movement clauses. 
  • Options
    Difficult to move Kessel on, as there will be less buyers out there because of his reputation. Malkin, not so much. Injury issues aside, he's still got at least four years as a top producer, and would be a stud for anyone looking to make a decent run at the cup. He'd waive the no-trade for a shot somewhere else if the pens retool in the offseason
  • Options
    The problem for Malkin would be finding a team that’s ready to compete with $9.5m cap space. I haven’t checked out the various cap situations, but I’d be surprised if anyone has that space.  Post game research to follow. 
  • Options
    The problem for Malkin would be finding a team that’s ready to compete with $9.5m cap space. I haven’t checked out the various cap situations, but I’d be surprised if anyone has that space.  Post game research to follow. 
    It'll be a team looking to move a couple of under performing players on, with good depth in prospects. 
  • Options
    Bruins game is on sky 422 for anyone who wants to watch it 
  • Options
    I didn’t enjoy that very much.
  • Options
    Good win for the Bruins in a physical game.

Blue Jackets have gone 3-0 in their series against Tampa, bet no one saw that coming? 
  • Options
    Good win for the Bruins in a physical game.

Blue Jackets have gone 3-0 in their series against Tampa, bet no one saw that coming? 
    Nope! Hell of a job by Tortorella - shutting down that offense is no mean feat, and getting three straight against them is nothing short of a miracle

Pens are fucked - no way back now. Summer clearout!