Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• Options
    Entirely predictably, the Pens go out in round 1, despite winning the division. Interesting off-season in prospect. Strong rumours that Crosby vetoed any chance that Malkin and Letang would be traded - which led to Rutherford quitting. If there's even an inkling of that being true it's bad news, because that means, unless either of them requests a trade, the Pens have no chance of creating cap space, and will be in draft hell this year with no picks in the first, third or fourth rounds and only one current pick in round 2 - with a dwindling list of prospects in the farm system. The only realistic approach might be to leave someone with a significant salary hit exposed in the expansion draft and see if Seattle take them - consensus is Tanev, Blueger or McCann from the forwards, and Matheson from the D will be left unprotected. Matheson's salary is big - so they'd likely need to offer something else to Seattle if they wanted to offload it, but it's an option.

The worst thing for the Pens is that, as Crosby and Malkin's production drops, their value to the organisation also drops, and their salaries mean it's unlikely that a good 30-40 goal per season scorer could be traded for, there's nothing on the depth chart to suggest anyone can step up, and no draft picks of note. Perfect storm. Can see the Pens ending up like Detroit in a couple of years ☹
  • Options
    As a new follower of NFL ( working with Swedes so started to take an interest) I picked the Devils to follow ( only reason they have one ex AIK player Jesper Brett in the line up ) . To much laughter at work they said I had picked a crap team....move on a few months and yes maybe but with young squad I hope they will do a Charlton next season .   Funny all the Swedes at work have been quiet the last weeks as I keep asking them I didn't know Denmark where good at Ice Hockey >
  • Options
    sorry spell check and cats. yes I'm that new.    NFL
  • Options
    Pens are $1m over next seasons cap already The expansion draft will fix that, but they won’t have much room to work with. 
  • Options
    Just popping in to say “Go Leafs Go” for tonight. Hoping we can close Round one out for the first time since 2004.
  • Options
    I don’t want to talk about it.
  • Options
    Jesus. Starting to think the curse is as bad as the Red Sox... 😳
  • Options
    It was actually quite funny.  
  • Options

Great game to see. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jets vs Canadiens. I bet nobody had that in their forecast. 
  • Options
    Two weeks from the start of the season, but preseason is better than nothing 

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Sensational goal from Connor McDavid last night to tie it at 5-5 with 3 minutes to go. The Oilers were 4-1 down at one point. McDavid is on a different level at the moment.  

• Options
    Absolutely next level. As good as Crosby was, if not better. Up there with Gretzky and Lemieux I think, depending on how he kicks on in the middle of his career 
  • Options
    Incredible stickhandling.
  • Options
    Thought as the Playoffs are now underway it would be worth reviving this thread.

The Leafs got absolutely battered in Game 1 by Tampa but we're 1-0 up in Game 2 as I type. I actually think we're the better team of the two and should be favourites, but this team is cursed so we'll inevitably melt again. 

Death, taxes, Leafs folding in Playoffs and all that...

Aside from this series there appears to be some good match ups out there.

Who is everyone's pick for the Cup this year?
  • Options
    Oilers making hard work of LA so far, but just about getting the job done. Having tied it 1-1 last night I think they'll build from here and McDavid is yet to really start scoring in this series.

The Leafs stuffing it up in the first round is like England batting collapses and Charlton losing at Millwall but they have a decent team this year so ought to be able to break the curse at last.

Have to admit, I'm not a huge follower of hockey during the regular season, but NHL play-off hockey is about as competitive as sport comes. All played at such a pace and with such commitment and aggression and because of the salary cap and draft system it's rare that any series is totally one sided.

Edmonton comes alive as a City too, the place is absolutely Oilers obsessed.
  • Options
    Hard to look past the Bruins right now tbh. 

There's a reason Boston is nicknamed Titletown, when the Red Sox are shite, here come the Celtics, oh look, they're in decline, Lets Go Patriots... Lose their G.O.A.T, the Bruins swoop in to save the day, and so on 
  • Options
    NHL and Stanley Cup a real comfort these days, the football being what it is.
    I have my eyes on Canes in the East and Vegas in the West. Happy to say goodbye to one or more of the three biggest favourites (Bruins, Avs and Oil) in the first round.
  • Options
    Regardless of your team, the Stanley Cup playoffs are, in my option, the best championship series in any sport. There’s rarely a dud game. Everyone’s playing full on, every game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Went to the Rangers v Toronto Maple Leafs whilst on NYC last week. Loved it! 
  • Options
    Oilers making hard work of LA so far, but just about getting the job done. Having tied it 1-1 last night I think they'll build from here and McDavid is yet to really start scoring in this series.

The Leafs stuffing it up in the first round is like England batting collapses and Charlton losing at Millwall but they have a decent team this year so ought to be able to break the curse at last.

Have to admit, I'm not a huge follower of hockey during the regular season, but NHL play-off hockey is about as competitive as sport comes. All played at such a pace and with such commitment and aggression and because of the salary cap and draft system it's rare that any series is totally one sided.

I watched the Overtime of Oilers/Kings Game 3 this morning. Controversial call not to rule out the Trevor Moore winner, was a high stick in my opinion but it took a load of replays for that to be conclusive.

That’s a series that could go all the way.
  • Options

I watched the Overtime of Oilers/Kings Game 3 this morning. Controversial call not to rule out the Trevor Moore winner, was a high stick in my opinion but it took a load of replays for that to be conclusive.

That’s a series that could go all the way.
    Yeah, if it takes that many replays to decide, you have to go with the referee’s original call. There just wasn’t a conclusive camera angle. 

I’m not bitter about that. The Oilers missed some good opportunities and have given away too many unnecessary penalties in the first three games. I might be biased but I feel like LA have been playing exceptionally well whereas the Oilers have a bit of room for improvement. If they can sharpen up just a little I think they’ll take the series but you’re right it’s going to be very close and I think will probably go to game 7. I certainly wouldn’t be risking having a bet on the outcome. 
  • Options
    All of these series are close - Avs-Kraken still going, but all the series will be 2-1 once it ends. Lightning-Leafs is a bit spicy. I wonder if they get through the series without another suspension. 
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights from last night.

All I can say is “wow”. Feels very weird being on the winning end of one of those comebacks!

Go Leafs Go!
  • Options
    All still very tight, with the Panthers stalling the Bruins tonight that means currently only the Leafs and the Golden Knights are winning by more than one.
  • Options
    Florida take the Bruins to a 7th game decider. Didn’t see that coming. And is the Leafs’ curse about to strike again?
  • Options
    So if MLB is the 'boys of summer' and NHL is 'the boys of winter' what's the English football league?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    So if MLB is the 'boys of summer' and NHL is 'the boys of winter' what's the English football league?
    Boys of Drizzle. 
  • Options
    The curse the curse is broken! This is not a drill, I repeat, the curse is broken!

Leafs win it in 6 in Tampa! Let’s effing gooooooo!