Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Dickson Signs for Gillingham on Loan

Comments

• Options
    On July 25, 2009 the Daily Mirror (so it could be wrong!) reported:

''Gillingham manager Mark Stimson has tabled a £50,000 bid for Charlton striker Chris Dickson. The 24-year-old scored seven goals in 12 games on loan at the Priestfield Stadium in 2007.''

Good luck to Chris Dickson. Hope he helps to keep the Gills up - and that we're not playing them next season because we've been promoted rather than because theyve been relegated.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]So he's gone on loan to a lower-level team

Same level.
  • Options
    I'd imagine he'll have written into the loan deal that he can't play against us. Couldn't for Rovers. I think it's good all round for everyone. Whilst I loathe Gillingham and their supporters, I think they're worthy of staying up. Stimson seems a bit too reliant on weak willed, pacey players but hopefully come spring time they start buzzing and stay up. They are a local team and I want them to crack on, besides Scally will probably struggle financially next season if they go down.

At least this time Scally will have to pay up front for Dickson. If they go down we'll have to wait for the administrators to pay us for Josh Wright.
  • Options
    Good, Parky said we'd need him off the wage bill. When he's come on he looks like what he was brought as, a non-league player. Might do well for Gillingham but I don't rate him and we have better strikers in front of him
  • Options
    This has been a saga, I originally thought that Dickson had a bit of a rough deal at Charlton, but as time has passed he has not really taken his chances. According to Parky his agent is a bit of a nightmare!. Cannot see why we are so keen to do Gillingham a favour though, let's hope this is an end of it, and he does not come back yet again, get injured, fall out with the management etc, etc. Sometimes things do not work out for a club/player, suppose you have to just turn the page on some things in football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Cannot see why we are so keen to do Gillingham a favour though,

I believe we're doing ourselves the favour ........ getting Dicko off the wage bill.

It's a shame really about Dicko. Local lad playing non-League, showed a bit of promise and developed sufficiently to play in the Championship at one stage, whether or not people thought he was good enough.

Maybe he could have been the next Ian Wright, but perhaps Wrighty had a bit more mental steel, single-mindedness, dedication and determination to make it happen for himself. As a late starter in the professional game, you also have to add that bit extra to your game - and want it really badly to make the grade.

Anyway, good luck Chris. Fresh start and all that .....
  • Options
    In sure Scully said he would deal with us ever again or something like that ?
  • Options
    Whilst I loathe giving Gillingham anything, if he ends up scoring one goal for them that benefits Charlton then it will be a sound move.

PS Gillingham Messed us around big time over him in the Summer & Said they would offer a fee then said he wanted to play for them not us & they would not pay us anything for him. Think the stance we took with them over this was 100% correct.
  • Options
    Agree with the sentiments Oggy! trouble is/ewas that Chris just did not perform for Charlton, although he did have a limited opportunity. Especially difficult for a striker you live by your goals, and when you go on a bad run, or not playing first team football your touch and tempo of the game goes. Having had two lads who played non league at the same level as Chris ( Dulwich Hamlet) albeit younger I need no convincing about locals..... but you have to take/grab your opportunity when it comes, we can all talk a good game!.... or let there agent do so!
  • Options
    Am I missing the point here, if it is to do with wages are we saying that we are saving more by moving Dickson on rather than someone like Spring? Are Dicksons wages that high? I know he hasn't performed that well for us but just my gut instict is he will score goals and in a side that has been struggling to score lately isn't that what we need rather than keeping hold of another midfielder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wind your neck in Stu. We want nothing to do with those gypos!
  • Options
    does rather raise the issue of what is the point of Spring?

he must be about the 7th choice midfielder (behind Bailey, Semedo, Racon, JJ, Wagstaff and Sam at least)

anyone know how much a week he's on?
  • Options
    Good news, shame we won't get any cash in for him but ultimately he has not proved himself good enough when playing for us and I didn't see that changing. Instead he gets to play some games again at a club where he should be full of confidence as the fans will love him for what he did before. We get rid of the wages and hopefully he can score a couple against some of our competitors in the run in.

Yet another of Pardew's duff purchases dissapears out the back door..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Am I missing the point here, if it is to do with wages are we saying that we are saving more by moving Dickson on rather than someone like Spring? Are Dicksons wages that high? I know he hasn't performed that well for us but just my gut instict is he will score goals and in a side that has been struggling to score lately isn't that what we need rather than keeping hold of another midfielder?

Parky said he needed to move on Dickson or Moutaouakil to help fund Akpo's loan
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Whilst I loathe giving Gillingham anything, if he ends up scoring one goal for them that benefits Charlton then it will be a sound move.

PS Gillingham Messed us around big time over him in the Summer & Said they would offer a fee then said he wanted to play for them not us & they would not pay us anything for him. Think the stance we took with them over this was 100% correct.

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers both sides of this story and not just Scally's version.

Wish him luck and as Ketman says his goals for Gills might just benefit us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Are Dicksons wages that high?

He was a Pardew signing, of course they'll be high :)
  • Options
    oh so gillingham did/didn't offer us 35k or 50k they just pretended too but not really .....so it was all really clear at the time that they had /hadn't bid/ratted on the bid
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]does rather raise the issue of what is the point of Spring?

he must be about the 7th choice midfielder (behind Bailey, Semedo, Racon, JJ, Wagstaff and Sam at least)

anyone know how much a week he's on?[/quote]

JJ (to an extent), Wagstaff and Sam are different positions to Spring. Dickson was behind four players in two positions. He really doesn't offer us much at the mom (especially when you consider JJ has mostly been played just behind one front man). Spring has come in and done a job when needed, he's also proved himself before at a higher level then League 1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]oh so gillingham did/didn't offer us 35k or 50k they just pretended too but not really .....so it was all really clear at the time that they had /hadn't bid/ratted on the bid

yes, very clear. Was mentioned on here, the OS and in the papers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Wind your neck in Stu. We want nothing to do with those gypos!

Says the gypo.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we should just be glad that the two clubs have sorted out their differences sufficiently that they can do business together and so we can get Dickson off the wage bill. My recollection is that last August both parties were pretty much threatening never to deal with each other again!

There's no doubt Parky did go out of his way to wind up Stimson/Scally - quite probably with some justification and he was merely responding to their silly posturing with a taste of their own medicine.

This from 365 on Aug 14, 2009:

''One club who look unlikely to land Jackson, despite stating their interest recently, is Charlton Athletic. Addicks boss Phil Parkinson laughably suggested Jackson be part of a straight swap for Charlton’s out-of-favour striker Chris Dickson, prompting a terse response from Stimson earlier this week. On top of that, a move to Charlton would represent a sideways step, with Charlton playing their football in the same division as Gillingham this season.

If the South London side are serious about signing Jackson, they’ll need to offer a substantial amount of money – and almost certainly Chris Dickson as well – to stand any chance whatsoever of landing the player.''
  • Options
    I'll say it again then.

They offered the money, we said "yes", they then said "no, we've changed our minds, we'll take him for nothing". We said "no"

How hard is it to understand?
  • Options
    sorry henry i didn't think we said 'yes' i thought it was all this bollox about we'll have jackson then instead of just saying we'll accept your bid
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]sorry henry i didn't think we said 'yes' i thought it was all this bollox about we'll have jackson then instead of just saying we'll accept your bid[/quote]

No WE SAID YES. we said we'd take the money at which time Scally changed the offer as Ketman said and as Parky said at the time.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/4647620.Parkinson_blasts_Gills_owner_over_Dickson_deal/
  • Options
    oooooooohaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah perfectly clear now they ratted when they realised he wasn't worth a penny ... fair do's
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]oooooooohaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah perfectly clear now they ratted when they realised he wasn't worth a penny ... fair do's

Quite possible but don't let Addick Addict hear you saying that. : - )
  • Options
    Following Izale's departure Dicko was the only striker left at the Club with any pace. All the others seem to prefer to play with their backs to goal. I still maintain that he is a viable alternative from the bench but has never been fancied by Parky and face and "attitude" doesn't seem to fit.

I think it's a bit rich to blame him for the Orient result (as some have suggested on here) given he was only on the pitch for 23 minutes and there were another XI on there for a lot more.
  • Options
    too late : - )
  • Options
    he's still holding that candle for him;-)