Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hartlepool - Post match views

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
Add all post match comments here

Comments

• Options
    Was it really that bad that no-one can even be bothered to comment??
  • Options
    a win is a win, sod the style
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]a win is a win, sod the style

That's certainly my view from up here...
  • Options
    Vital win for the team, a draw tonight would have been a huge deflation for everyone - especially given that Hartlepool got done 5-0 at home on the weekend.

Sets us up nicely for the O's next week - they have a very poor away record - and a win there puts us on track for Tranmere at The Valley - who have the worst away record in the division.

Nine points from these three home games would be HUGE in the context of the season and would really put the wind up Leeds and Norwich.

My feeling is that the home games against those two are going to be massive games in terms of automatic promotion versus the PO's.

I still think we are short of a striker, I don't like the back up to Burton/Mooney and would like to see Dickson out and Sodje or another target player come in.
  • Options
    another three points from a less than convincing performance.. Should have used morre width, they looked shaky on crosses. Great goal from waggy.
  • Options
    First half I thought we were dire, yet created most of the chances, and were winning. Thought we were slow, and complacent and there was no urgency in our play at all. Second half started the same, but as soon as they scored we stepped up a gear.... albeit only one gear. Continued to create the better chances whilst still not playing convincing football.

Sign of a good team.... you play badly and still win. I wanted three points and we got them. Job done. Also thought Bailey was excellent second half picking everything up and helping us keep possession.

All in all a far from convincing performance yet I rarely felt that Hartlepool had anywhere near enough quality for it to matter.
  • Options
    Possibly the worst we've played all season....well apart from Colchester that is....boy oh boy did we ever get away with it tonight....a poor performance.
    Two very nice goals though wern't they.
    Why was Dicksons goal disallowed by the way....couldn't see anything wrong from the West Upper?
  • Options
    Shit game but we got the 3 points .
  • Options
    Pretty much the same as Saturday if you ask me. The best team came away with the points but made hard work of it.

Lovely move for the first goal and cracking strike from Waggy. Wondered WTF he was doing shooting from there!
  • Options
    What rothko said other than I wouldn't piss on llera and mooney if they were on fire
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good use of substitutes - Parky being pro-active - which he hasn't always been in his choice/timing of subs, and good to see one of his subs scoring the winner, he deserved that after being positive.
  • Options
    A lacklustre performance, but three vital points, happy for Waggy a very well taken goal. We lacked shape tonight, can't put my finger on why. But three ponta in the bag. Could the Valley have less atmosphere?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Possibly the worst we've played all season....well apart from Colchester that is....boy oh boy did we ever get away with it tonight....a poor performance.
    Why was Dicksons goal disallowed by the way....couldn't see anything wrong from the West Upper?

It was for a push mate
  • Options
    I thought we looked complacent
    I thought Hartlepool were fairly solid but we should have been home and dry long before Waggys timely goal
    Shelvey should have scored with his head in the first half, he hit the post, dicko had one ruled out for a push - it could very easily have been 4 or 5

I'm glad we won but it sure was ugly!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]a win is a win, sod the style

That's certainly my view from up here...
    we all know there's less comments when we win!
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]What rothko said other than I wouldn't piss on llera and mooney if they were on fire
    really even though mooney scored for
    us again?
  • Options
    I thought it wasn't a great performance but any result that gets us 3 points can't be bad. Funny thing is is that i think we're only 1 or 2 players from being a team that could easily win the title, which i know may sound mad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Possibly the worst we've played all season....well apart from Colchester that is....boy oh boy did we ever get away with it tonight....a poor performance.

blatant push soundas
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

It was for a push mate

By Dickson?
  • Options
    got away with it,they targeted Llera in the first half as we were not far from thir bench and Turner was telling them tot urn Llera round
  • Options
    Absolute shocker in terms of entertainment value.

Hartlepool showed little intent yet we still gifted them a goal and presented them with a couple of good chances.

No atmosphere in the ground and it seemed to rub off on a number of our players.

Defensively we still look ropey. Elliot still doesn't talk enough, we came very close to another Colchester-eque moment in the first half. Llera just worries me every time the ball goes near him. Penalty was a joke, he just watched the bloke run off his shoulder and then swung a leg at him.

Sam was totally ineffective. Yes he was being doubled up on, but he still offered nothing. Personally would have made the Wagstaff change 10 mins earlier.

Burton worked hard with little service.

Only ones who impressed me were Bailey and Richardson.

Win is a win and all that, but the lack of chances created tonight is a worry.

Fair play to Parky for getting the subs right, but tactically I thought we got it wrong from the start. The game was crying out for two wingers.

I don't mind this formation, however at home if Youga isn't playing it doesn't really work. You need the full backs overlapping and Basey doesn't do it enough.

6/10 for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also not liking the flat 442 - semedo likes the holding role and bailey is suited behind the strikers so think we should use that more

fully expect Basey yo go to left mid if Youga ever returns - and him and youga overlapping could be very good
  • Options
    harsh on mooney southend
  • Options
    Crap performance, great result. Thank God we weren't playing Norwich though!
  • Options
    We have to get out of Div 3 at all costs.

If we continue to play crap but win I'll be happy.

Leeds got done by Carlisle at home in JPY Semi....Not sure they'll handle the run-in pressure, although not sure we will either!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]harsh on mooney southend

Seconded...he's a good footballer.
  • Options
    By the way, how many of you realise Dickson was booked after he came back to the centre circle for the restart following Waggy's goal....I can only assume it was for 'over zealous' celebrations, anyone got a definate on the reason?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I suppose it happens to most people every few weeks / months / years, where the team isn't performing, the game isn't great, and 98% of the people around you turn out to be complete bell ends.

I had one of those tonight. Left on 64 minutes, had had enough of unsupportive twats. Earliest i have ever left a game (stayed to the final whistle when we got dicked 5-0 by Wham on Boxing Day, for example).

Really glad we won, but feels a very hollow victory.
  • Options
    Sorry soundas yes a blatant push by dicko
  • Options
    I was happy with the result! not the greatest performance but a win is a win, excuse the cliche

Fantastic goal from Waggy i thought it was going wide then bent inside the post, however im not going to be pushing for him to start as i think he is more of an impact player at the mo
    Sam & Shelvey did not have their best games, in minute spells they looked like they could turn it on but it wasn't happenning for them. although that said Sam did play much better in the second half, ill let shelvey of as was out of position and had his moments but he seemed to be trying to much when he had the ball- was very unlucky with his shot which hit the post especially as it didnt fall well to him
    Mooney i thought was one of our best players and cannot see why people get on his back and he even scored today ;-)

Met few new lifers tonight also so all in all a very good night, special thanks to MOG who let me have his spare ticket for the night and was also nice to meet the others
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Sorry soundas yes a blatant push by dicko

Strange, cos no one around me on the half way line spotted it.....obviously it was clear cut from other areas of the ground.