Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Watched "Mank" last night. Gary Oldman is brilliant as always, and Tom Burke as Orson Welles gets the voice spot on. Useful to look up a bit about some of the main characters before hand in fairness. I would recommend you check wiki for Herman Mankiewicz himself, Marion Davies, Irving Thalberg and Upton Sinclair - the rest of the major characters, like Welles, Louis B Mayer and W. R. Hearst I think most of us know enough about.       
    It’s one of the few Oldman films I could not get into at all, despite being very interested in the subject.  

May have to give it another try. 
  • Options
    Watched Greenland this afternoon. I do love a good disaster movie. Unfortunately this was nothing like a good disaster movie.

Stilted, clichéd dialogue, entirely predicable & ridiculously unfeasible plot lines, actors phoning in performances and I couldn't have cared less if the leading characters lived or died. Save yourself...from wasting 2 hours of your life! 
    Up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen in the last few years. Don’t think a character has ever wound me up as much as the mum. 
  • Options
    Saw a trailer tonight for Top Gun: Maverick! 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    Enjoyed Clint Eastwoods performance in The Mule, where he plays a 90 year old drug carrier for the cartel. Available on Prime. 
    Me too, he still acts wonderfully same as Grand Torino and million dollar baby. And is an excellent director not that I'm giving anyone a revelation there "Clint Eastwood is good at what he does" 
    Last time I countered the point that Clint is good at what he does, another poster cried his eyes and got abusive. But for what it's worth Carter, I think he makes the odd cracker, but a LOT of dross with lazy direction and abysmal acting. And the politics that permeate his movies are unwelcome in my household! 
    Absolutely fair point and won't be any grizzling here your point is probably most obvious for American Sniper at a guess 

Something I've noticed only in recent years is an appreciation for cinematography and use of camera angles etc and his films always look good if that makes sense 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Watched I Care a Lot on Netflix (HK) the other night. Highly entertaining. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Wanted to watch this the other night after seeing it endorsed by Joe Rogan and a few others but not available on UK netflix yet :(
  • Options
    Carter said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    Enjoyed Clint Eastwoods performance in The Mule, where he plays a 90 year old drug carrier for the cartel. Available on Prime. 
    Me too, he still acts wonderfully same as Grand Torino and million dollar baby. And is an excellent director not that I'm giving anyone a revelation there "Clint Eastwood is good at what he does" 
    Last time I countered the point that Clint is good at what he does, another poster cried his eyes and got abusive. But for what it's worth Carter, I think he makes the odd cracker, but a LOT of dross with lazy direction and abysmal acting. And the politics that permeate his movies are unwelcome in my household! 
    Absolutely fair point and won't be any grizzling here your point is probably most obvious for American Sniper at a guess 

Something I've noticed only in recent years is an appreciation for cinematography and use of camera angles etc and his films always look good if that makes sense 
    It applies to Richard Jewell as well as American Sniper (which is easily Clint's most egregious effort). I did find Jewell an engaging watch, but there's an anti-establishment subtext. Don't trust the FBI type stuff, that is clearly the work of a pro-Trump. pro-gun nut. Sully has shades of this too (when compared to the real story, Sully is a fucking joke). 

You're right, his films have an easily accessible aesthetic, although I'd credit Tom Stern for the cinematography on Clint's films, rather than the man himself. From what I've read about his process, he lets everybody do their thing and spends the absolute minimal amount of time working. Admittedly he's 160 or something so that's not surprising, but he's had that approach for most of his directing career - and it leads to some shockingly bad work, like the plastic baby thing in Sniper. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrG_6JFlhA
  • Options
    Hahaha I'd never clocked the plastic baby! Although the first time I watched American Sniper was on a plane so its possible the film had that bit edited out or more possible id switched off as scenes like that as well as scenes where someone wrecks a room stress me out in the instance of that scene it would have been the tension between the leads and when someone trashes a room its the thought of cleaning it up 

I like Richard Jewell mainly because I love the lead actor, there isn't anything I've seen him in that he hasn't improved 

The sex scene in Mule made me laugh, he has never looked older but was blatantly loving every single second of it 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Watched Greenland this afternoon. I do love a good disaster movie. Unfortunately this was nothing like a good disaster movie.

Stilted, clichéd dialogue, entirely predicable & ridiculously unfeasible plot lines, actors phoning in performances and I couldn't have cared less if the leading characters lived or died. Save yourself...from wasting 2 hours of your life! 
    Up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen in the last few years. Don’t think a character has ever wound me up as much as the mum. 
    Couldn't stand any of them. Within 10 minutes of the start I was firmly on the side of the comet.

It also featured, more than once ffs, one of my pet hates in films. There's a crowd of 1000's of angry, panicking people trying to squeeze through a gate. Within 3 seconds of turning up at the back of the masses Gerard Butler and his missus are at the front making their case to the guards. And they even dragged their flipping luggage and snivelling kid through the throng without even a snide remark about pushing in, let alone a right hander from someone.

Jeez, some of the public were taking lumps out of each other over the last bog roll in real life only a few months ago! 
  • Options

Agreed awful film
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Wanted to watch this the other night after seeing it endorsed by Joe Rogan and a few others but not available on UK netflix yet :(
    It's available through Amazon Prime and pretty much all off the shelf movies apks.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Today is a big day. We go live with the brand new Icon Film Distribution website -

Icon. Distributor of prestigious film - Icon Film Distribution

alongside the official launch of the Icon Film Channel SVOD service, in conjunction with our good friends at Amazon Prime.

Amazon.co.uk: Prime Video

• Options
    Also 3 or 4 years too late on this but watched Sing Street last night which was really enjoyable - Pretty standard storyline but good acting, decent songs, and funny. Was a pleasant surprise
  • Options
    Also 3 or 4 years too late on this but watched Sing Street last night which was really enjoyable - Pretty standard storyline but good acting, decent songs, and funny. Was a pleasant surprise
    Had that on my planner for at least a year. I know I’ll enjoy it, I just can’t press play! 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Hahaha I'd never clocked the plastic baby! Although the first time I watched American Sniper was on a plane so its possible the film had that bit edited out or more possible id switched off as scenes like that as well as scenes where someone wrecks a room stress me out in the instance of that scene it would have been the tension between the leads and when someone trashes a room its the thought of cleaning it up 

I like Richard Jewell mainly because I love the lead actor, there isn't anything I've seen him in that he hasn't improved 

The sex scene in Mule made me laugh, he has never looked older but was blatantly loving every single second of it 
    I saw The Mule on a plane, thought it was pretty good. But I don’t remember a sex scene so that must’ve been cut - He’s been casting himself alongside young beautiful women for the last 50 years! 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Today is a big day. We go live with the brand new Icon Film Distribution website -

Icon. Distributor of prestigious film - Icon Film Distribution

alongside the official launch of the Icon Film Channel SVOD service, in conjunction with our good friends at Amazon Prime.

Amazon.co.uk: Prime Video

Congratulations! Looks quality...
  • Options

Couldn't stand any of them. Within 10 minutes of the start I was firmly on the side of the comet.

It also featured, more than once ffs, one of my pet hates in films. There's a crowd of 1000's of angry, panicking people trying to squeeze through a gate. Within 3 seconds of turning up at the back of the masses Gerard Butler and his missus are at the front making their case to the guards. And they even dragged their flipping luggage and snivelling kid through the throng without even a snide remark about pushing in, let alone a right hander from someone.

Jeez, some of the public were taking lumps out of each other over the last bog roll in real life only a few months ago! 
    I mentioned it when it first came out, but the last straw was when the kid was in the medical tent and the mum had to sign a release form......during an apocalyptic event. Like, some poor bastard in their health system is still doing filing whilst thousands of meteors bombard the earth.
  • Options
    Watched a random movie the other day "Bliss" what a pile of shite that film was!
  • Options
    Watch the Snyder cut of Justice League. All 4 hours of it. A vast improvement on the original which isn't difficult and despite the epic run time it seemed to flow pretty well. Still hate Jared Leto's Joker though.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Watch the Snyder cut of Justice League. All 4 hours of it. A vast improvement on the original which isn't difficult and despite the epic run time it seemed to flow pretty well. Still hate Jared Leto's Joker though.
    Loved how much better it was. Haven't taken the time to have a look, was this all deleted footage or is much of it new content? Seems like Wheadon just cheesed up so much of a fantastic script and skimped on the character building of those we hadn't seen before. (Cyborg, Aquaman and The Flash). Felt like it brought a bit more of the darker DC feel with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very much enjoyed Promising Young Woman. Not for kids, pretty tense/suspenseful and semi-predictable. All that said, Carey Mulligan’s performance is Oscar worthy, she plays vulnerable, flirtatious and damn right scary incredibly well. Will watch again. 

If Justice League Snyder cut is out, I know what I will be doing this weekend, while still stuck on this couch. I had a blink and you’ll miss me Special Armed police scene with Gal Gadot in that movie, so will be interested to see if that remains, but more importantly, love darker DC, so hope Snyder did it justice (boom boom)...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Loved how much better it was. Haven't taken the time to have a look, was this all deleted footage or is much of it new content? Seems like Wheadon just cheesed up so much of a fantastic script and skimped on the character building of those we hadn't seen before. (Cyborg, Aquaman and The Flash). Felt like it brought a bit more of the darker DC feel with it.
    Also I don't remember seeing CGI Mouth this time around... 
  • Options
    Just downloaded Justice League (we don't have HBO here). Why is it in 4:3 ?
  • Options
    Just seen Justice League only available on NOW Tv atm. Had hoped Amazon would have also got the rights.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Just downloaded Justice League (we don't have HBO here). Why is it in 4:3 ?
    Apparently Snyder wanted it that way. Focused more on the central action. 
  • Options
    Just seen Justice League only available on NOW Tv atm. Had hoped Amazon would have also got the rights.
    Free NowTV Cinema trial you say? 
    https://www.nowtv.com/watch/zack-snyders-justice-league-2021/A5EK6sKrAayd7FHrBWs2w
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Free NowTV Cinema trial you say? 
    https://www.nowtv.com/watch/zack-snyders-justice-league-2021/A5EK6sKrAayd7FHrBWs2w
    Thanks Dazzler21 👍🏻
  • Options
    Really really enjoyed Zack Snyder’s Justice League. Such a shame that this full JL story movie is not being treated as canon by Warner/DC. Darker, bloodier (but not too bloody), far better character development and all the bits necessary to make the story a proper DC graphic novel/comic series. Totally understanding/sympathetic as to why the change in Director was necessary, but the story/screenplay is so different, I am not sure why the studio let that happen? One thought I had was that Warner decided to back away from the Darkseid storyline due to the concurrence of release with Avengers’ Thanos storyline, but otherwise, such a shame, as all the threads were drawn together so much better and there was a really good tee up for the following films in the original planned trilogy. Dark Superman would have been a whole lot of fun and I hope we get to see him.

If you like comic book hero films, I would highly recommend making the time.
  • Options
    News of The World - Pretty decent film that has its moments. Worth a watch. 
  • Options
    News of The World - Pretty decent film that has its moments. Worth a watch. 
    Is it based around the newspaper? lol