Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    I saw Sound of Metal last weekend which I enjoyed. Although I thought the story was sloppy in places Riz Ahmed made up for it.

Think the UK release is in March. 
    If you want more musical Riz, Mogul Mowgli is out now and really nice.
  • Options
    I saw Sound of Metal last weekend which I enjoyed. Although I thought the story was sloppy in places Riz Ahmed made up for it.

Really looking forward to seeing this. Trailer looks superb. 

Also waiting to see Frances McDormand‘s latest film Nomadland.  
  • Options

The Sound of Metal has been available to watch for about a year through various movie apps and sites.
  • Options

The Sound of Metal has been available to watch for about a year through various movie apps and sites.
    Ah, had no idea. Id seen it on Amazon, but only the US site. Will keep a look out for it on other sites then. 
  • Options
    Stan and Ollie is on BBC1 8.25pm tonight.
    Terrific film 
  • Options
    Saw this when first released. Really enjoyed it and thought the acting was first class. However did some research and I don't think it is an accurate portrayal of events. A good "artists impression" but don't accept it as fact
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Terrific film 
    I watched this soon after it came out with no great expectations, and really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
  • Options

Nice one, hadn’t heard of this before but will give it a watch
  • Options

Nice one, hadn’t heard of this before but will give it a watch
    Watched it (Mogul Mowgli) last night, really good film. The “songs” (performed really as poetry) are taken from his most recent album the Long Goodbye.
  • Options
    On Amazon Prime .. 'I Care a Lot' .. bad girls, soppy judges and corrupt medics and 'care home' owners taking advantage of U S 'guardianship' laws .. sounds boring ? .. it is quite compelling and very worrying (for us older folk)  :/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Couple of recent catches on Netflix I enjoyed - The White Tiger & The Red Sea Diving Resort.

https://youtu.be/35jJNyFuYKQ

Story about a young man escaping the caste system in modern day India and the appaling injustices still prevalent. 

https://youtu.be/80WflPMzAcw

True(ish)story about Mossad setting up a fake hotel to facilitate the escape of persecuted Jewish tribes in the Sudan. Thought having Chris Evans as the lead was a bit distracting tbh and could have done with being a bit rougher around the edges overall. 

First one much better than the second but both killed a couple of hours on a lockdown evening.

• Options
    Capone. What a pile of shit.

I honestly think Tom Hardy was taking the piss.
  • Options

Ahhh just put that on my list ... will still give it a try but sounds like it may not get finished. 
  • Options
    Cherry (coming soon to Apple+). 

It’s the first post-Avengers movie by the Russo brothers. They’ve adapted a semi-autobiographical novel by a fella who was a bit of a loser, went to Iraq, became a junkie and robbed some banks. 

I loved it. I thought Tom Holland was incredible in the lead. The Russos do an impressive job of picking up on fine details and plunging into the characters memories. I got really into it. 

Thing is, I gave it a glowing review and, as I usually do, looked at what others were saying after I sent it to the editor. I appear to be alone in thinking it’s amazing! Mostly middling reviews but I’m not sure why. It does precisely what it’s supposed to do. I stand by my reaction - really bloody good film. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

It’s the first post-Avengers movie by the Russo brothers. They’ve adapted a semi-autobiographical novel by a fella who was a bit of a loser, went to Iraq, became a junkie and robbed some banks. 

I loved it. I thought Tom Holland was incredible in the lead. The Russos do an impressive job of picking up on fine details and plunging into the characters memories. I got really into it. 

Thing is, I gave it a glowing review and, as I usually do, looked at what others were saying after I sent it to the editor. I appear to be alone in thinking it’s amazing! Mostly middling reviews but I’m not sure why. It does precisely what it’s supposed to do. I stand by my reaction - really bloody good film. 
    Cheers am curious to see this one 

Did your editor question you at all after sending in such a glowing review given the others hadnt agreed? 
  • Options

Started watching it tonight, stopped three seconds in to the film as I had already seen enough.
  • Options
    Watched The Life of David Gale on prime last night. Thought it was a decent and absorbing film, with a twist upon a twist. Kevin Spacey (yes, all right), but he was good in it
  • Options
    I watched Promising Young Woman this weekend, tipped for a lot of best female lead awards for this year already.

Carey Mulligan (whose excellent) on a campaign to get revenge on the men who wronged her and derailed her and her best friends life in college. For a pretty tough subject to tackle it was handled really well and shined a light on societal issues in a way that pointed out the hypocrisy, without being too abrasive, whilst also being somewhat lighthearted. It has its dark moments but isn't a grim story by any stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5kiFDunk8
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:

Cheers am curious to see this one 

Did your editor question you at all after sending in such a glowing review given the others hadnt agreed? 

He wasn't bothered, seemed to be glad I was positive which is fine with me. It makes life easier with studio/ PR relationships when you have positive reviews of their movies! 
  • Options
    I watched Promising Young Woman this weekend, tipped for a lot of best female lead awards for this year already.

Carey Mulligan (whose excellent) on a campaign to get revenge on the men who wronged her and derailed her and her best friends life in college. For a pretty tough subject to tackle it was handled really well and shined a light on societal issues in a way that pointed out the hypocrisy, without being too abrasive, whilst also being somewhat lighthearted. It has its dark moments but isn't a grim story by any stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5kiFDunk8
    I really liked the final act, and agree that it tackled a grim subject but with dark humour and satire. So many films feel like to tackle important subjects you need to be aggressively sincere, and I hope this film shows that you can use black humour to get to the heart of a challenging subject, without doing a disservice to those who have been affected by the subject.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Took a while to get into it and knowing it was a play, not a feature film but enjoyable and recommend. Not seeing anything with Chadwick Boseman in previously. Very tragic. 
  • Options
    Saw Promising Young Woman at Glasgow Film Festival a year ago just before the world changed. V good. As was the Chicago 7 which we watched on Netflix last night.
  • Options
    Enjoyed Clint Eastwoods performance in The Mule, where he plays a 90 year old drug carrier for the cartel. Available on Prime. 
  • Options
    On Amazon Prime .. 'I Care a Lot' .. bad girls, soppy judges and corrupt medics and 'care home' owners taking advantage of U S 'guardianship' laws .. sounds boring ? .. it is quite compelling and very worrying (for us older folk)  :/
    @Lincsaddick - its a good film - it couldn’t happen in UK & I doubt is accurate in US - the older person was driving, house was spotless, she was well dressed & clean & with it. Film was put together competently enough to skate over that just about. 

I care a Lot is good & Rosamund Pike scary. I liked the ending. 
  • Options
    Enjoyed Clint Eastwoods performance in The Mule, where he plays a 90 year old drug carrier for the cartel. Available on Prime. 
    Me too, he still acts wonderfully same as Grand Torino and million dollar baby. And is an excellent director not that I'm giving anyone a revelation there "Clint Eastwood is good at what he does" 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Me too, he still acts wonderfully same as Grand Torino and million dollar baby. And is an excellent director not that I'm giving anyone a revelation there "Clint Eastwood is good at what he does" 
    Last time I countered the point that Clint is good at what he does, another poster cried his eyes and got abusive. But for what it's worth Carter, I think he makes the odd cracker, but a LOT of dross with lazy direction and abysmal acting. And the politics that permeate his movies are unwelcome in my household! 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    Last time I countered the point that Clint is good at what he does, another poster cried his eyes and got abusive. But for what it's worth Carter, I think he makes the odd cracker, but a LOT of dross with lazy direction and abysmal acting. And the politics that permeate his movies are unwelcome in my household! 
    He has made an incredible number of films and the spaghetti westerns directed by Sergio Leone still rank among my favourites. I've always thought Play Misty for Me was a good film but very underrated.

As a director he's okay but not inspired. 
  • Options
    Watched "Mank" last night. Gary Oldman is brilliant as always, and Tom Burke as Orson Welles gets the voice spot on. Useful to look up a bit about some of the main characters before hand in fairness. I would recommend you check wiki for Herman Mankiewicz himself, Marion Davies, Irving Thalberg and Upton Sinclair - the rest of the major characters, like Welles, Louis B Mayer and W. R. Hearst I think most of us know enough about.       
  • Options
    Bit late to this one but saw 'Dolemite is my Name' on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Great storyline with some top acting from Murphy and Wesley Snipes amongst others. Rly fun movie
  • Options
    Watched Greenland this afternoon. I do love a good disaster movie. Unfortunately this was nothing like a good disaster movie.

Stilted, clichéd dialogue, entirely predicable & ridiculously unfeasible plot lines, actors phoning in performances and I couldn't have cared less if the leading characters lived or died. Save yourself...from wasting 2 hours of your life!