Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Finished the Trial of the Chicago 7 last night on Netfix. Thought it was excellent with some great bits of acting and really well filmed.
    Just watched it, too. Very good and thought provoking film with some funny dialogues. Highly recommended. 8.5/10
  • meldrew66 said:

Anyone else seen the newly released 'horror' film Saint Maud? We went this weekend with high hopes after reading Mark Kermode's gushing review in which he reckons it is Oscar winning material. Well, we were greatly unimpressed. Only one 'fright' moment in the whole film. We didn't buy into the 'loneliness' angle of the main character and found the whole thing slow and tedious.

That is 3 terrible films on the bounce for us; this, 23 Walks and Tenet. It's slim pickings at the moment. We were literally the only ones in one film and 2 of 8 people in Odeon Orpington on Saturday for SM. The film industry is gonna struggle to survive if this carries on. We keep going back as we live locally and have Limitless cards. That said, the poor offerings really are testing my 'limits' now.

I do wonder if films are becoming the bridesmaid and TV Series are the bride.
  • edited October 2020
    meldrew66 said:

Anyone else seen the newly released 'horror' film Saint Maud? We went this weekend with high hopes after reading Mark Kermode's gushing review in which he reckons it is Oscar winning material. Well, we were greatly unimpressed. Only one 'fright' moment in the whole film. We didn't buy into the 'loneliness' angle of the main character and found the whole thing slow and tedious.

That is 3 terrible films on the bounce for us; this, 23 Walks and Tenet. It's slim pickings at the moment. We were literally the only ones in one film and 2 of 8 people in Odeon Orpington on Saturday for SM. The film industry is gonna struggle to survive if this carries on. We keep going back as we live locally and have Limitless cards. That said, the poor offerings really are testing my 'limits' now.

I love the Wittertainment show from Kermode and Meo but one thing I’ve learned is that Kermode likes some weird shit that is awful and dislikes some really good movies and directors  . He definitely doesn’t mirror the man or woman in the street .

I agree Tenet was terrible. 
  • meldrew66 said:

I am sad to say that "proper" films just aren't coming to the cinema anytime soon.   COVID and the closing of cinemas in New York and LA means that blockbusters that "need" a US flagship release to unlock rest of the world theatrical releases are held up, until NYC and LA reopen.

By the time they do, I genuinely believe the world will have changed forever, in cinema terms.   I expect AMC (Showcase), Odeon and Cineworld to all have but disappeared, with new names above the door.   You don't need THREE multiplexes in Manchester.   You simply don't.

James Bond NEARLY got sold this week to Apple for $600m.   That would have been $400m PROFIT for MGM.   But they held firm wanting to theatrically release the film next April.   If they can't release next April, it'll be sold.

Expect to see flagship, "event" films in cinemas next year, but expect to see a lot of good stuff turning up direct on Amazon, Netflix, Apple and Sky.

Forever.
  • Very disappointing - the humour was very predictable. Cohen gets less funny with each project.
  • Not a new film, but I watched 'Hidden Figures ' the other night, really enjoyed the film about a serious subject, well worth a look. 
    Great film 
  • Very disappointing - the humour was very predictable. Cohen gets less funny with each project.
    It had its moments, a couple of parts really really made me laugh and the bit everyone is talking about genuinely shocked me, not that politicians are reptiles but that someone didn't sue Sacha Baron-cohen or legal him out of showing it.

The actor who played his daughter was brilliant and had excellent comedic timing 

• Just watched Unhinged starring Russell Crowe, real edge of the seat stuff and not too long at just over 90 minutes.

8/10
  • Not new but new to Sky. Lucy in the Sky. Only got two stars and I assume it’s because it doesn’t have car chases and violence. Bit too long but in my view Natalie Portman provided a wonderful piece of character acting and has gone up in my acting estimations enormously. Without spoiling it’s about Portmans characters ( a NASA astronaut) perfect life slipping into chaos and breakdown. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Seen a lot of below average blockbusters recently!

Mortal Engines
    ** Don’t know much about the book, but it was painfully obvious that it was an adaptation in that the subplots were half baked. You could almost see where cuts had been made. It might have been ok if the final act was decent, but the villain turns into a generic megalomaniac and it’s all rather obvious. Looks impressive, and one character in particular was really interesting. Worst thing is, I’ve no idea who it’s aimed at. It’s too violent for kids and too childish for adults.

Venom
    ** Nowhere near as bad as I expected. It’s shit, just not atrociously shit. Tom Hardy was surprisingly irritating, partly because of his accent, and partly because the character was really obnoxious. 
    Watched Mortal Engines at last... was enjoyable in my opinion and I would say it's aimed at the Hunger Games audience. Even though I enjoyed it, it wasn't a good film if I were to compare it to a proper decent post apocalyptic fantasy sci fi. 
    Tom was played by an Irish chap, but had to put on a poor british accent. An american then played an Irish chap, bit unusual as his Irish accent was average at best. 

Strike or whatever his name was could have been a fantastic character, but was a bit part distraction in the way he was used... Pretty disappointing. 

Mortal Engines
    :star::star::star:

Watched Venom a couple of weeks ago. 
    I once again enjoyed the story, but the delivery wasn't great. Tom Hardy was the WORST choice of actor for this role. I liked his Venom portrayal, but his Eddie Brock was poor. He cannot do american accents as you say and I just didn't find his performance as believable in any way. 

Venom
    :star::star:

I'm left wondering why Hollywood can't cast people with the correct accents? Or just let them use their own accent for the character. It's an immersion breaker for me and probably costs a star each time it bothers me.
  • supaclive said:
    meldrew66 said:

I am sad to say that "proper" films just aren't coming to the cinema anytime soon.   COVID and the closing of cinemas in New York and LA means that blockbusters that "need" a US flagship release to unlock rest of the world theatrical releases are held up, until NYC and LA reopen.

By the time they do, I genuinely believe the world will have changed forever, in cinema terms.   I expect AMC (Showcase), Odeon and Cineworld to all have but disappeared, with new names above the door.   You don't need THREE multiplexes in Manchester.   You simply don't.

James Bond NEARLY got sold this week to Apple for $600m.   That would have been $400m PROFIT for MGM.   But they held firm wanting to theatrically release the film next April.   If they can't release next April, it'll be sold.

Expect to see flagship, "event" films in cinemas next year, but expect to see a lot of good stuff turning up direct on Amazon, Netflix, Apple and Sky.

Forever.
    As you know Clive, I have a business interest in cinemas. If I'm honest our industry has been too lazy for too long, being a slave to the Hollywood machine that feeds us. I've always believed that people are naturally social and want to go out. Cinemas have to represent great value and deliver on experience, as well as broadening their content offer. We are/were happily showing Netflix content, like Chicago 7 and people will pay to see it on the big screen if you deliver something different/better than tv. Look out for our new cinema in Sittingbourne opening soon. We are trying to set standards way above the existing cinemas in Kent. Covid has changed the industry forever, but it's only accelerated what was inevitable and cinemas will adapt or die.
  • kafka said:
    supaclive said:
    meldrew66 said:

Forever.
    As you know Clive, I have a business interest in cinemas. If I'm honest our industry has been too lazy for too long, being a slave to the Hollywood machine that feeds us. I've always believed that people are naturally social and want to go out. Cinemas have to represent great value and deliver on experience, as well as broadening their content offer. We are/were happily showing Netflix content, like Chicago 7 and people will pay to see it on the big screen if you deliver something different/better than tv. Look out for our new cinema in Sittingbourne opening soon. We are trying to set standards way above the existing cinemas in Kent. Covid has changed the industry forever, but it's only accelerated what was inevitable and cinemas will adapt or die.
    The experience of the Everyman Cinema near us has completely changed our attitude, no more cineworld etc... We'll do the odd date night there for the food, drinks and comfortable movie package... Haven't been for almost a year mind!
  • @kafka @Dazzler21  I agree with both of your comments.   Non traditional cinemas, so to speak are embracing the opportunities as are the customers.

Cinema will live on, but it will be forever different.   I saw Tenet on the big screen - the only way to see it - should have done iMAX but not one near me, now I live in the sticks of the Derbyshire Dales!
  • edited November 2020
    Watched VFW at silly o'clock this morning after feeding the mini human. 

Really cool mix of a late 70's films like Warriors with touches of 80's & 90's to it, shot in a cool gritty way with some brilliant old school actors and some comfortably passable acting. 

The main cast are:
    Stephen Lang (Colonel in Avatar)
    William Sadler (Die Hard 2 Villain)
    Fred Williamson (Dusk til Dawn)
    George Wendt (Norm from Cheers)
    Martin Kove (Karate Kid John Kreese). 
    David Patrick Kelly (Luther from Warriors)

Well worth a watch and harshly underrated by those on IMDB. :star: :star: :star: :star: 

For those that care:
    81% on Rotten Tomatoes
    6.1 on IMDB 
    72 on metacritic

p.s not for the fainthearted, the gore is another level. 
  • edited November 2020
    Saw the Jack Charlton documentary this week. It's about Jack's dementia, his relationship with Ireland between 1988 and 1994, and his general approach to work and life, with a bit about his relationship with Bobby. He kept copious amounts of notes on scraps of paper, and they help form the backbone of the film's narrative, and the talking head interviews, particularly with Paul McGrath, provide plenty of funny and/ or poignant stories. 

The whole thing is tinged with sadness, and this is intentional, albeit not entirely necessary. After all, he was a popular, rich, successful man who lived a long and happy life. Seeing the shell of the man in the grip of dementia is clearly very sad, I just don't think that sadness needed to permeate the rest of his story. Also, I am not sure why they felt the need to pad out footage with re-enactment scenes. There's more than enough footage from the games. That aside, it's very well put together, has a great sense of humour - deals with the dementia in a truly touching and delicate way - and provides a fantastic look at the effect the man had on Ireland as a whole, so to speak. I've watched a lot of docs over the last year or so, and this is classier than most.

4/6
  • Just watched the film 'Fish Tank' on Iplayer - originally released 2009. It's a film about a troubled teenager living on a barren Essex council estate who is trying to deal with all the chaos around her.

It's like a Ken Loach film and a very gritty story about those living life on the margins in society. Some excellent acting and enough swearing to last you a lifetime.

Definitely not a feelgood movie but an interesting watch.
  • Watched Unhinged with Russell Crowe. Absolute shite. The main character, a woman, deserves everything she gets. I don’t think I’ve ever been more irritated by a main protagonist in a film. Plus Russell Crowe looks awful fat.
  • Just watched the film 'Fish Tank' on Iplayer - originally released 2009. It's a film about a troubled teenager living on a barren Essex council estate who is trying to deal with all the chaos around her.

It's like a Ken Loach film and a very gritty story about those living life on the margins in society. Some excellent acting and enough swearing to last you a lifetime.

Powerful film. I believe the main actress was cast after the director saw her arguing with her boyfriend in the middle of a train station. 

Powerful film. I believe the main actress was cast after the director saw her arguing with her boyfriend in the middle of a train station. 
    I was blown away by the film. Curious to watch the other films the director has made.
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched JoJo Rabbit. Wasn’t sure if this would work having read some stuff about it but it certainly does. Edge of film making norms but got a difficult subject fraught with pitfalls perfectly. Hard to pigeonhole but dramedy is probably best description with added something due to subject matter. 9/10 for me
  • Watched JoJo Rabbit. Wasn’t sure if this would work having read some stuff about it but it certainly does. Edge of film making norms but got a difficult subject fraught with pitfalls perfectly. Hard to pigeonhole but dramedy is probably best description with added something due to subject matter. 9/10 for me
    I enjoyed it but opinions on it seem very varied.
    I’m sure. So far off the beaten track of formula it’s bound to not be to some peoples taste. 
    I’m sure. So far off the beaten track of formula it’s bound to not be to some peoples taste. 
    It was an interesting film and it made you think- far too many films are just bland. 
  • edited November 2020
    Jessie said:
    Finished the Trial of the Chicago 7 last night on Netfix. Thought it was excellent with some great bits of acting and really well filmed.
    Just watched it, too. Very good and thought provoking film with some funny dialogues. Highly recommended. 8.5/10
    I really enjoyed it too but every time Sacha Baron-Cohen spoke, that god-awful accent immediately took me out of the film. Terrible casting. 
  • Enjoyed two decent films recently, Mosul and Dark Waters. 
  • Enjoyed two decent films recently, Mosul and Dark Waters. 
    Dark Waters is very good 
  • stonemuse said:
    Enjoyed two decent films recently, Mosul and Dark Waters. 
    Dark Waters is very good 
    Thought it was excellent.
  • Chunes said:
    Jessie said:
    Finished the Trial of the Chicago 7 last night on Netfix. Thought it was excellent with some great bits of acting and really well filmed.
    I really enjoyed it too but every time Sacha Baron-Cohen spoke, that god-awful accent immediately took me out of the film. Terrible casting. 
    I thought he was very good, come to think of it his accent was probs a bit corny but it didn't even register at the time for me
  • Agreed, Dark Waters was excellent. Another fine performance from Mark Ruffalo.