Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Watched a film "Sorry I missed you" yesterday. The scene where the leading character as a ManU fan argues with a Newcastle fan is hilarious. But the rest of the film is really depressing. 9/10

I haven't watched the director's previous similar film "I, Daniel Blake" which I remember many of you mentioned in this thread. I'll watch it some other day. 
  • Options
    Watched a few films on the plane back to Hong Kong.

The Farewell - Really loved this. Engaging performances and cultural premise where the grandma is dying of cancer but the family decide it's better not to tell her. Based in China but with a lot of English (for those subtitle haters). Funny, sad, wonderful. 

Ad Astra - Felt it borrowed too heavily from a number of sci-fi films without ever doing anything original. I got bored, which is rare for me watching films. 

Booksmart - Snappy coming-of-age comedy and a fun dynamic between the two teenage girl characters. Really enjoyed. 

• Options
    Jessie said:
    Watched a film "Sorry I missed you" yesterday. The scene where the leading character as a ManU fan argues with a Newcastle fan is hilarious. But the rest of the film is really depressing. 9/10

I haven't watched the director's previous similar film "I, Daniel Blake" which I remember many of you mentioned in this thread. I'll watch it some other day. 

Ken Loach has made many memorable films. You should try watching 'Kes' and 'Looking for Eric'(which features a brief Eric Cantona cameo).

I thought 'Sorry I missed you' was a great film - it really shows the stresses of modern life and the desperate way workers are treated. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Just back from long plane trips. Caught up on a few films - absolutely loved Joker and Parasite. Also enjoyed the Glasgow grit of Wild Rose.

Been to Glasgow Film Festival tonight for UK premiere of Les Miserables. Nothing to do with the musical. More The Wire meets Lion King, but in French. Powerful stuff. 
    I've got nothing in the festival this year.  Les Miserables is pretty decent though!
    Ah that's a shame! Did you go to Sundance this year?
    @Weegie Addick Not this year.  Berlin done and Cannes and Toronto all booked.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Just back from long plane trips. Caught up on a few films - absolutely loved Joker and Parasite. Also enjoyed the Glasgow grit of Wild Rose.

Been to Glasgow Film Festival tonight for UK premiere of Les Miserables. Nothing to do with the musical. More The Wire meets Lion King, but in French. Powerful stuff. 
    I've got nothing in the festival this year.  Les Miserables is pretty decent though!
    Ah that's a shame! Did you go to Sundance this year?
    @Weegie Addick Not this year.  Berlin done and Cannes and Toronto all booked.
    Good luck with those, coronavirus permitting...
  • Options
    Watched the new Mark Wahlberg film on Netflix, Spencer Confidential. 

I think they’ve officially run out of original ideas. Ex-cop infiltrates net of dirty cops.  Been done a million times before and this had nothing new about it. 
  • Options
    Portrait of a lady on fire - A French language love story set in the 18th century . Absolutely loved it . Looks amazing and brilliantly acted . 8 out of 10 

• Options
    Jessie said:

Ken Loach is one of my favourite directors. Very British , not sure how his films go down in other countries but I love them . 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Watched Uncut Gems on Netflix just now - excellent film, Adam Sandler is a very good “serious” actor (I hate his comedy). 
    Stopped watching it after about half an hour, just seemed to be a film about SHOUTING!
    Ditto.

Thought it was horrendous !
  • Options
    Jessie said:

Ken Loach has made many memorable films. You should try watching 'Kes' and 'Looking for Eric'(which features a brief Eric Cantona cameo).

I thought 'Sorry I missed you' was a great film - it really shows the stresses of modern life and the desperate way workers are treated. 
    I know 'Looking for Eric'. I noticed it back when it was just released. I think 'Sorry we missed you' is a film made for all the lower class people in cities around the world. We have people in China cities living similar difficult life yet films about them simply aren't being made anymore here.

Jessie said:

Ken Loach is one of my favourite directors. Very British , not sure how his films go down in other countries but I love them . 
    I just had a look at his credits list and saw Sweet Sixteen which I watched a few years ago. It was a decent film. Both 'Sorry we missed you' and 'I, Daniel Blake' are rated very highly by people on the Chinese film site that I often visit. I think his films deal with universal subjects.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Watched the new Mark Wahlberg film on Netflix, Spencer Confidential. 

I think they’ve officially run out of original ideas. Ex-cop infiltrates net of dirty cops.  Been done a million times before and this had nothing new about it. 
    The director Peter Berg is one of my favourite directors and I liked all of his past four collaborations with Mark Wahlberg: Lone Survivor, Deepwater Horizon, Patriots Day and Mile 22. I saw the trailer for Spencer Confidential last week and it looked quite different to the previous four films. Judging from the ratings it is not good. I'll still watch it but I don't have any expectations.
  • Options
    Jessie said:

I think he's revered in France.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Watched Uncut Gems on Netflix just now - excellent film, Adam Sandler is a very good “serious” actor (I hate his comedy). 
    Stopped watching it after about half an hour, just seemed to be a film about SHOUTING!
    Ditto.

Thought it was horrendous !
    My wife insisted on turning it off after 25 minutes. There was a hell of  a lot of bellowing, with several people talking or shouting over each other at the same time. I found it hard to work out what was being said half the time
  • Options
    I wathed 'I, Daniel Blake' the other day and it was even more depressing than 'Sorry we missed you'. I couldn't hold back my tears during quite a few scenes and the ending was SOOOO heartbreaking - I didn't see it coming, not before Daniel Blake went to the toilet. :'(:'( Later that night I couldn't sleep for a while and thought about the film and felt really sad for the two lead characters.

It really surprised me how difficult it is to get unemployment benefits in the UK. Does the film exaggerate it to any extent?
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    I wathed 'I, Daniel Blake' the other day and it was even more depressing than 'Sorry we missed you'. I couldn't hold back my tears during quite a few scenes and the ending was SOOOO heartbreaking - I didn't see it coming, not before Daniel Blake went to the toilet. :'(:'( Later that night I couldn't sleep for a while and thought about the film and felt really sad for the two lead characters.

It really surprised me how difficult it is to get unemployment benefits in the UK. Does the film exaggerate it to any extent?
    As a film, it is very effective, as propoganda not so much. I assume Daniel Blake was supposed to be representative of the northern working classes. Well, when it came to the crunch and they were given a choice between getting rid of universal credit or having Brexit in the last election, they chose Brexit in huge numbers. I'm afraid Ken Loach has a bit of a 'metroplitan elite' view of the working classes!
  • Options
    24 Red said:
    Jessie said:

As a film, it is very effective, as propoganda not so much. I assume Daniel Blake was supposed to be representative of the northern working classes. Well, when it came to the crunch and they were given a choice between getting rid of universal credit or having Brexit in the last election, they chose Brexit in huge numbers. I'm afraid Ken Loach has a bit of a 'metroplitan elite' view of the working classes!
    I think 'working class' communities have changed a lot since traditional industries were decimated. There's far less unity and belief in politicians.

Ken Loach is certainly aware of the social issues more than most directors - his issue is that he has far more faith in politicians fixing them than the general public does.

His film 'Kes' still stands as one of the best British films of all times for me. 
  • Options
    Ken Loach films are strange, I will always watch them but they stay with me for so long that I generally need a break of about 12 months between them. 

Kes is right up there with watership down as films I remember watching as a kid that made me properly sad even thinking about them 

I, Daniel Blake was only slightly exaggerated in certain parts to move the plot along. Daniel selling all his old hand tools for example, wouldn't have got much more than pennies for them and I thought he was going to turn it all around by becoming an artisanal up-cycler. Then I remembered it's set in Newcastle where chippies don't live anymore because they all moved where the work was 

Dave John's was majestic as the lead, a weird one for me because I had only known of his work as a compere, a properly funny one, at comedy nights 

Michael Winterbottom is another odd one, his films always look the business but he does a lot for shock value
  • Options
    For the last couple of months I’ve been going to the cinema three times a week, seeing some of the recent films multiple times.
    Suddenly realised that cinemas are about to close, so wanted to go this morning for one last time before they do.
    The only film but I haven’t seen was Military Wives and I didn’t like the look of the trailer, but then saw that Mark Kermode made it his film of the week.
    Have to say, perhaps because of the strangeness of recent events, I found the whole experience quite emotional. Thank god for the gags, of which there are plenty. 
    The staff told me they’re closing tonight, and were all inderstandably anxious about what their futures hold. 
    Being from a military family the setting was all too familiar, and some of the characters and scenarios really struck a chord too. The phone calls bringing bad news, the divide between the officers’ families and the other ranks’ families, the officers’ mess versus the other ranks’ mess etc etc. 
    Some great performances, notably from Kristin Scott Thomas & Sharon Horgan. 
    Recommended, if you can find a cinema still open, and don’t mind a tear jerker. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    For the last couple of months I’ve been going to the cinema three times a week, seeing some of the recent films multiple times.
    Suddenly realised that cinemas are about to close, so wanted to go this morning for one last time before they do.
    The only film but I haven’t seen was Military Wives and I didn’t like the look of the trailer, but then saw that Mark Kermode made it his film of the week.
    Have to say, perhaps because of the strangeness of recent events, I found the whole experience quite emotional. Thank god for the gags, of which there are plenty. 
    The staff told me they’re closing tonight, and were all inderstandably anxious about what their futures hold. 
    Being from a military family the setting was all too familiar, and some of the characters and scenarios really struck a chord too. The phone calls bringing bad news, the divide between the officers’ families and the other ranks’ families, the officers’ mess versus the other ranks’ mess etc etc. 
    Some great performances, notably from Kristin Scott Thomas & Sharon Horgan. 
    Recommended, if you can find a cinema still open, and don’t mind a tear jerker. 
    I enjoyed it - the two leads as you say were very good.
  • Options
    Watched LeMans 66 last night. Like a lot of recent films it was too long, but still enjoyed it. Thought Bale and damon were superb. Listen to the gear changes in the race scenes - takes you back a few decades! I'll check out the real story behind it now  - I am always sceptical of Hollywood history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched The Platform on Netflix. Spanish sci-fi horror. Seriously fucked up but enjoyable and quite apt with what’s been going on food wise.
  • Options
    We've been doing nightly watch parties with friends. The Guilty on Netflix was a pretty good, smart Danish police thriller all set in one emergency call centre. Worth a look despite the terrible title (Reminds me of 'The Three' from Adaptation)
  • Options
    Posted on it's own silly thread, but if anyone is interested me and my partner have just released our latest short film, A Disappearance, online today, if anyone is looking for 15 minutes of distraction. Cheers.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/buttheadfilms/status/1244568187670331394

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/250692786
  • Options
    Just watched The Platform on Netflix. Spanish sci-fi horror. Seriously fucked up but enjoyable and quite apt with what’s been going on food wise.
    Proper weird film that, I kept watching but not sure I would recommend. Definitely foodwise it was so gross. 6/10, different but you might like it.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Latest movie releases in US made available here while most of America sits at home -

https://nites.tv/latest-movies-added/
  • Options
    Not latest but I watched 2016’s “The Greasy Strangler” last night, fudge my chips it was very weird, possibly the strangest film I’ve ever seen but it did have me crying with laughter on a few occasions....
    anyone else had the ‘pleasure?’
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Latest movie releases in US made available here while most of America sits at home -

https://nites.tv/latest-movies-added/
    I don’t know how Nites is still going but I’ll take it! They have an amazing selection of stuff in decent quality. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Not latest but I watched 2016’s “The Greasy Strangler” last night, fudge my chips it was very weird, possibly the strangest film I’ve ever seen but it did have me crying with laughter on a few occasions....
    @Fumbluff Yes, I saw the trailer and was up for it. It's certainly relentless, and there are a few genuinely funny moments. It frustrated me because a lot seemed to just be making it weird/awful just for the sake of it, like he was too afraid to put in anything that you might care about. It was like a nihilistic/corporate version of a John Waters film.
    The whole film screams HAHA, JOKES ON YOU, IT"S MEANT TO BE BAD. But lots of bits have stayed with me. Confused, from Kent.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    @Fumbluff Yes, I saw the trailer and was up for it. It's certainly relentless, and there are a few genuinely funny moments. It frustrated me because a lot seemed to just be making it weird/awful just for the sake of it, like he was too afraid to put in anything that you might care about. It was like a nihilistic/corporate version of a John Waters film.
    The whole film screams HAHA, JOKES ON YOU, IT"S MEANT TO BE BAD. But lots of bits have stayed with me. Confused, from Kent.
    Yeah it’s bad and nuts but together that’s something else!!
  • Options

Just got around to watching this. Thoroughly recommended.