Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Just watch "Sound of Metal". Knew nothing about it, thought it would be more about music, but it was really a character driven piece about deafness. What I particularly enjoyed was the pacing and the cinematography, really held my attention. Recommended.
  • Options
    Just finished Tom Clancy's Without Remorse.

Steady, run of the mill action adventure. Solid 7.
  • Options
    Things Seen and Heard. Avoid at all cost. Utter utter crap. I know a decent horror film is a hard nut to crack but this was just so far off the mark. Jumbled storyline, filled with clichés that just didn't work and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse the ending was the equivalent of the film kicking you in the bollocks when you were already down and out.

I'm going to bed now to try and forget the whole experience ever happened.
  • Options
    Really liked Nomadland, really strong lead performance too. 
  • Options
    Things Seen and Heard. Avoid at all cost. Utter utter crap. I know a decent horror film is a hard nut to crack but this was just so far off the mark. Jumbled storyline, filled with clichés that just didn't work and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse the ending was the equivalent of the film kicking you in the bollocks when you were already down and out.

I'm going to bed now to try and forget the whole experience ever happened.
    It’s probably the most cliche riddled film I’ve seen for a long time. Think I watched it on a lazy Sunday afternoon when it was kinda background noise, probably the right way to do it. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I am excitedly awaiting "A Quiet Place II." Hearing good things. Was ready for release a year ago but they held back due to Covid. Final trailer released 2 days ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdDN9d9Jio

• Options
    Tha is for the recommendations. As I’m currently watching The Terminator something a bit more modern would be good for my layabout Saturday. 
  • Options
    I am excitedly awaiting "A Quiet Place II." Hearing good things. Was ready for release a year ago but they held back due to Covid. Final trailer released 2 days ago.

Just about to put the first one on, having never seen it.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Yes I know a lot of people didn’t like it but If anyone’s interested in eventually understanding Tenet, I watched again for a 3rd time today and things do make a lot more sense.

This article does a good job of explaining how it works, so worth a read before attempting to watch for a second/third time.
    https://www.gq.com/story/tenet-explained
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The best puns are the unintentional ones.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Palm Springs - Amazon 7.5/10 - Comedy
    Time loop, but feels better than your usual ones. Both lead characters are fantastic ( Andy SambergCristin Milioti) Maybe a bit predictable but easy to watch and i really enjoyed it. 

Papillon - Amazon 6/10 (generous)
    I didnt mind it, its a bit weak. Some good acting but a disappointing ending, watchable. Also a bit of a weird bromance which was just odd 

What happened to Monday - Netflix 4/10
    This had some ok reviews, i just didn't like it. Felt a massive let down and in the face of it wish i had turned it off after half an hour. 
  • Options
    Yes I know a lot of people didn’t like it but If anyone’s interested in eventually understanding Tenet, I watched again for a 3rd time today and things do make a lot more sense.

This article does a good job of explaining how it works, so worth a read before attempting to watch for a second/third time.
    What about first time? i keep meaning to watch it but as i know you have to be fully focused and still its hard to get. 
  • Options
    Time loop, but feels better than your usual ones. Both lead characters are fantastic ( Andy SambergCristin Milioti) Maybe a bit predictable but easy to watch and i really enjoyed it. 

I didnt mind it, its a bit weak. Some good acting but a disappointing ending, watchable. Also a bit of a weird bromance which was just odd 

This had some ok reviews, i just didn't like it. Felt a massive let down and in the face of it wish i had turned it off after half an hour. 
    I presume that’s the horrible remake of Papillon ? The original is one of my favourite films of all time . 
  • Options

I’d rather pull my finger nails out than sit through that again . You deserve a medal 
  • Options

I presume that’s the horrible remake of Papillon ? The original is one of my favourite films of all time . 
    .....which isn't a patch on the book, of course.

Just watched Born a Champion (released Jan 2021 I believe). Not the greatest fighting/grappling scenes but a decent story.
  • Options

What about first time? i keep meaning to watch it but as i know you have to be fully focused and still its hard to get. 
    Anyone that’s a fan on Nolan’s films know that they can be challenging to follow, so first time I knew I wasn’t going to get all of it. Just like Inception, Memento, Interstellar to a degree, you pick things up the next time to watch.
  • Options

.....which isn't a patch on the book, of course.

Just watched Born a Champion (released Jan 2021 I believe). Not the greatest fighting/grappling scenes but a decent story.
    I only realised recently how fabricated the book is as well. Still a tremendous story.
  • Options
    Friday we saw Three Billboards. Not as funny as In Bruges but equally as dark and the two central performances are excellent. It's the best film I've seen so far this year.
    Likewise, a great film.
    One disappointment, I thought is was going to be about the attempted Peter Varney takeover
  • Options

Anyone that’s a fan on Nolan’s films know that they can be challenging to follow, so first time I knew I wasn’t going to get all of it. Just like Inception, Memento, Interstellar to a degree, you pick things up the next time to watch.
    Funny thing is, Nolan’s movies are rammed with exposition. Characters are constantly telling other characters what’s happening for the audience’s benefit (that’s why so many movies have a ‘rookie’ character in them, so they can ask questions on our behalf). When you notice it it becomes kinda funny.  And yet despite that, they’re still bloody hard to follow! Maybe cos there’s so damn much of it. 

In Tenet it’s the lead character who asks the questions for us. In Interstellar it’s mostly Cooper. In Inception it’s blatantly Ariadne. Dunkirk has the kid on the boat which allows Mark Rylance to explain a lot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:

Funny thing is, Nolan’s movies are rammed with exposition. Characters are constantly telling other characters what’s happening for the audience’s benefit (that’s why so many movies have a ‘rookie’ character in them, so they can ask questions on our behalf). When you notice it it becomes kinda funny.  And yet despite that, they’re still bloody hard to follow! Maybe cos there’s so damn much of it. 

In Tenet it’s the lead character who asks the questions for us. In Interstellar it’s mostly Cooper. In Inception it’s blatantly Ariadne. Dunkirk has the kid on the boat which allows Mark Rylance to explain a lot. 
    Yeah, for some reason I hadn’t noticed the turnstiles in Tenet being colour coded until today! Robert Pattisons character does ALOT of explaining as well, which because you’re looking visually for an explanation you don’t pick up on some of his dialogue until a second time.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

This had some ok reviews, i just didn't like it. Felt a massive let down and in the face of it wish i had turned it off
  • Options

Yes sorry the most recent one. 
  • Options

I’ve “got” all his films on first viewing, even Tenet. Tenet I thought too clever by half, more interested in showing Nolan’s film-making chops than being an enjoyable experience for the audience. 
  • Options
    I care a lot .

My film of 2021...So far . 
    terrific film and was on my mind watching the Britney Spears doc on BBC .. it seems that in the U S, once a person's affairs are handed over to a legal 'guardian' it's nigh on impossible to persuade the court to overturn its previous ruling. I Care a Lot is available on Amazon Prime and is well worth watching (as is the Britney documentary on iPlayer)
  • Options
    Just finished watching Those Who Wish Me Dead.

Another easy watch.

Remember, though, I'm a simple creature and don't look too far beneath the surface.
  • Options

The first film was excellent.
  • Options
    This looks interesting and I really enjoy Edgar Wright's work. 

Has anyone been to the pictures since they reopened btw? There's been zero I'd be up for seeing but was wondering how the experience was. 
  • Options
    Army of the Dead.

Zombie movie on steroids. A Zak Snyder effort. Very watchable.
  • Options
    Saw A Quiet Place 2 last week. Thought it was brilliant, gave it five stars!