Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• seth plum said:

...including deluding ourselves about the likes of Baldock.

You're wrong. :)
  • I can't believe this is just about Baldock rejecting us due to the money we were offering. If he goes to Ipswich, it is likely to be on loan as I understand.

That being the case the wages will be a matter between the clubs. If he is on 15K at Wet Spam, then I doubt if Ipswich will be paying all his wages. If we have offered 10K, that wouldn't sound far out to me for a loan deal from the Prem.

I suspect the rumours saying he didn't want to come to us is true. This has to be due to non money issues - travel is the most likely reason in my view.
  • Seth sir you really are a plum:)

Oh there is only one plum.

• seth plum said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/9818043.Addicks_still_some_way_off_West_Ham_striker_deal/

Well if this is what you mean then I think I am right that there is no evidence of an active specific persuit of Baldock.
    More pointedly, much more pointedly in my view, Powell says that 'players' wage demands are 'excessive' which screams out to me that our budget is limited, no bottomless pit of dosh, no money tree. That has been the theme of my recent postings...I don't think we have any money to spend on a big signing, or if we do we're taking a huge gamble with the stability of the club.

that clearly states we were in the market for him. Admittedly, we got a bit excited over the last 2 days thinking a deal was imminent. You were right in that sense, we almost made it into a fact he was joining us. You were wrong in the sense that it was just a rumour though, he was clearly a target.
  • seth plum said:

Surely to goodness Baldock was never ever coming to us, a fine example of a rumour whipped up into a frenzy where we deluded ourselves he could be acquired, and persuaded ourselves it is all 'FACT'. I for one have never seen a direct quote from anybody at the club that we are after him.
    As I have said many times lately, the financial side of our club is shrouded in mystery, so reverting to sheer logic (i.e. the costs we have against the income we generate) we have to sell big time to sign big time....we maybe even have to sell big time just to survive financially.
    The alternative of course is to ride the coat tails of some very rich person who pours money into Charlton for...well for why? Future (and uncertain) returns? A lifelong love of Charlton? Laundering money? Bored and we're the new 'hobby'? All the while we are in the dark about things, we will invent anything to bring some light in...including deluding ourselves about the likes of Baldock.

I think Baldock was a red herring.
  • Seth sir you really are a plum:)

Well, mild personal abuse, sir, is a refuge for the weak.

• we should give Wright-Phillips, Kermorgant and Smith a go before any speculative investing in relatively untried strikers
  • seth plum said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/9818043.Addicks_still_some_way_off_West_Ham_striker_deal/

Well if this is what you mean then I think I am right that there is no evidence of an active specific persuit of Baldock.

More pointedly, much more pointedly in my view, Powell says that 'players' wage demands are 'excessive' which screams out to me that our budget is limited, no bottomless pit of dosh, no money tree. That has been the theme of my recent postings...I don't think we have any money to spend on a big signing, or if we do we're taking a huge gamble with the stability of the club.

that clearly states we were in the market for him. Admittedly, we got a bit excited over the last 2 days thinking a deal was imminent. You were right in that sense, we almost made it into a fact he was joining us. You were wrong in the sense that it was just a rumour though, he was clearly a target.
    I disagree, it doesn't clearly state anything of the sort to me. This is the Powell quote:

“He is a good player,” the Valley chief said.

“There is talk that he is available but we will have to see how that happens because he has been scoring goals for West Ham and he would improve any team.

“But that isn’t something which is imminent, that is for sure.”

The rest of the article is spin from the writer, Paul Green, to create a story. Typical journalism, but in no way "clearly states" that we were in the market for him.
  • TravHouse said:
    why does he want to go to these no hopers...they couldnt even beat den bosch, if the peoples cup isnt going to persuade him to sign nothing will!
  • Ipswich have opened contract talks....with Emile Heskey (not joking)
  • Sponsored links:

• Sone Aluko going to Hull
  • DeeBee said:

Ipswich have opened contract talks....with Emile Heskey (not joking)

Odds cut to 6/4 on Sky Bet ha ha.
  • Stewart said:

Large is correct.

I know, depressing isn't it ;0)
  • Rob62 said:

Sone Aluko going to Hull

Source?
  • It's ok I've got it

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/story-16569366-detail/story.html

they seem to be splashing the cash around.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I disagree, it doesn't clearly state anything of the sort to me. This is the Powell quote:

“There is talk that he is available but we will have to see how that happens because he has been scoring goals for West Ham and he would improve any team.

The rest of the article is spin from the writer, Paul Green, to create a story. Typical journalism, but in no way "clearly states" that we were in the market for him.
    whatever mate, cant be asked to argue. Powell has spoken of him on more than one occasion. I am not saying we spoke to the player, had an agreement with West Ham or even contacted West Ham, all I am saying is that it was certain he was a target. If Powell talks about him, he is not just a "rumour", he is a target, minimum.
  • Ii hate twitter and Facebook, gutted if Baldock does sign for the farm boys, as for the Pratt slagging him off on twitter proberly the same muggy melt slagging off Wiggins against Bournmouth in front of me last season!

Yeah probably
  • DeeBee said:

Think he'd be good at this level for a couple of seasons
  • ...with someone else.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

whatever mate, cant be asked to argue. Powell has spoken of him on more than one occasion. I am not saying we spoke to the player, had an agreement with West Ham or even contacted West Ham, all I am saying is that it was certain he was a target. If Powell talks about him, he is not just a "rumour", he is a target, minimum.
    We so want it to be true we really do kid ourselves, this is maybe an example of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

We so want it to be true we really do kid ourselves, this is maybe an example of that.
    I dont think Powell would speak so candidly about Baldock unless there was some interest, im sure if there wasnt it would have been dismissed out of hand like he has on multiple other occasions
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Powell does not openly talk about players, we know what. Why would he openly talk about a "rumour". We had some interest in Baldock mate, for that I am sure
  • Unfortunately we ain't gonna sign all our targets, I think most of us were wishing he was our missIng link, like when Mendonca was signed! Let's not write off BWP he might get 20 goals this season then it'll be Baldock who!
  • I really hope so. If BWP can come close his early form from last season I'll be a happy man.
  • People seem to be building Smith up that he is ready for the squad this season. I am not to sure he will play much of a part this season and would think he will go out of loan.
  • What's the news on Andy Hughes and Hayes - are they offski's or what?
  • DeeBee said:

Phew.

• http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/7913692/Secret-agent

Very interesting read especially the part about lower league players who think they deserve more than their worth.
  • I'd like to think that players like Smith, Mambo and Bover will be rewarded with the hard work they've been putting in in training and throuout per seasons.

We should get a 4th choice striker in on a 3 month loan with the option to extend. At the same time, Smith should go out on loan to a League 1 side for 3 months too. After 3 months see where we are and see where he is. If he can carry his pre-season form and effort into the new season, I don't see why he won't be able to be our 4th choice striker.
  • As I understood it we'd agreed the fee for Baldock and it was down to personal terms now.

So we were close but not now it seems
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!