Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Who ever that is that wrote on twitter calling him all those names should be ashamed, have a feeling he may actually post here as well, but yeah those type of fans really let the club down.

I would be lying to say I didn't care about him going to ipswich over us, hope powell has other better targets in mind.
  • Shame if he has chosen Ipswich, was under the impression we had agreed a fee from some on here so it shows there must be some money available (where it comes from though?)

Also if it comes down to wages I'm glad we're not breaking the bank to get people in, we did that last time we were in the CCC and we're still recovering from it. I remember reading Varney was on £20k?
  • Pretty much a non story in my opinion. Ipswich have enquired about the 'possibilty' of taking Baldock on loan blah,blah,blah. The have no more, no less chance of signing him than we have. As for the if he doesn't want to come we don't want him crap - he could stay at West Ham and play in the PL, albeit occasionally, or drop down into Championship. Into the bargain he'd have to take a drop in wages. A big decision. Would you not rather he took his time and made the right decision instead of saying yes and then regretting it later, when you'd have an unhappy player on our hands.
  • Pretty much a non story in my opinion. Ipswich have enquired about the 'possibilty' of taking Baldock on loan blah,blah,blah. The have no more, no less chance of signing him than we have. As for the if he doesn't want to come we don't want him crap - he could stay at West Ham and play in the PL, albeit occasionally, or drop down into Championship. Into the bargain he'd have to take a drop in wages. A big decision. Would you not rather he took his time and made the right decision instead of saying yes and then regretting it later, when you'd have an unhappy player on our hands.

This
  • Large is correct.
  • If Baldock still lives (or still has a house) near Milton Keynes, then geographically Ipswich is a far easier move for him than Charlton. Can't say I'd blame him if he can stay at home with friends & family, rather than moving.

Alternatively a drive from Milton Keynes to New Eltham & back each day is far from ideal.

He may of course have a house in Essex, but it is possible that Ipswich is still an easier option than New Eltham.

Milton Keynes to Ipswich or Milton Keynes to Charlton travel wise - there's not much in it.
  • what Large said, sure it'll sort itself out soon.
  • Look up underwhelming in the dictionary and you'll see this rumour from FR ; - )

"19 Jul 2012 14:53:59
    after failing to agree terms with Sam Baldock, Charlton boss Chris Powell is turning his attention to Steven Doris of Arbroath, who scored 21 goals last season for the Scottish 2nd division side."

5' 10" and 43 goals in 90 games
  • Our next target......Matt Fryatt
  • Looks like chris powells lidl shopping list is the one where he'll be buying from
  • Sponsored links:

Large, if you took non-stories and mindless speculation based on whim out of this thread it'd be two pages long. I love the gadge that felt so strongly about the Ipswich rumour to go on Twitter to brand Baldock a money grabber. You do have to wonder how these people cope with personal relationships.
  • Ii hate twitter and Facebook, gutted if Baldock does sign for the farm boys, as for the Pratt slagging him off on twitter proberly the same muggy melt slagging off Wiggins against Bournmouth in front of me last season!

I would be happy with him.

Large, if you took non-stories and mindless speculation based on whim out of this thread it'd be two pages long. I love the gadge that felt so strongly about the Ipswich rumour to go on Twitter to brand Baldock a money grabber. You do have to wonder how these people cope with personal relationships.
    Seeing as both of the brothers grim enjoy making their own stupid rumours up, you think they would know better.

Seeing as both of the brothers grim enjoy making their own stupid rumours up, you think they would know better.
    sorry, where have I made a stupid rumour up?

• I have a gut feeling that Baldock won't sign for us and it'll be a financial decision on his part. If the Farmers are prepared to stump up his WHU weekly wage then good luck to 'em
  • That million pound signing that never happened

In our dreams. If we are being cautious on wages with Baldock, we won't be getting him unless he takes a decent pay cut.
  • Well we are encouraging Baldock on twitter:

Darren Twell ‏@DalTwell
    If Sam baldock doesn't wanna come #cafc bcoz of wages then he can Fuck off! Don't need ur ignorance and selfishness #prick #MoneyGrabber

Yep. Confirmed. I still hate twitter.

I haven't logged onto my Twitter account for a good six months. I can't remember ever missing something so little; not since my piles cleared up anyway.
  • edited July 2012
    Schlupp and Fryatt are unlikely. Schlupp looks like he's going to sheff utd on loan and fryatt wants to move closer to home - derby or forest are more likely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love the overreaction here, the CL soap opera in all its glory
  • Surely to goodness Baldock was never ever coming to us, a fine example of a rumour whipped up into a frenzy where we deluded ourselves he could be acquired, and persuaded ourselves it is all 'FACT'. I for one have never seen a direct quote from anybody at the club that we are after him.
    As I have said many times lately, the financial side of our club is shrouded in mystery, so reverting to sheer logic (i.e. the costs we have against the income we generate) we have to sell big time to sign big time....we maybe even have to sell big time just to survive financially.
    The alternative of course is to ride the coat tails of some very rich person who pours money into Charlton for...well for why? Future (and uncertain) returns? A lifelong love of Charlton? Laundering money? Bored and we're the new 'hobby'? All the while we are in the dark about things, we will invent anything to bring some light in...including deluding ourselves about the likes of Baldock.
  • seth plum said:

Surely to goodness Baldock was never ever coming to us, a fine example of a rumour whipped up into a frenzy where we deluded ourselves he could be acquired, and persuaded ourselves it is all 'FACT'. I for one have never seen a direct quote from anybody at the club that we are after him.
    As I have said many times lately, the financial side of our club is shrouded in mystery, so reverting to sheer logic (i.e. the costs we have against the income we generate) we have to sell big time to sign big time....we maybe even have to sell big time just to survive financially.
    The alternative of course is to ride the coat tails of some very rich person who pours money into Charlton for...well for why? Future (and uncertain) returns? A lifelong love of Charlton? Laundering money? Bored and we're the new 'hobby'? All the while we are in the dark about things, we will invent anything to bring some light in...including deluding ourselves about the likes of Baldock.

Apart from the interview Powell gave where he specifically mentioned him as a target you mean?
  • seth plum said:

Surely to goodness Baldock was never ever coming to us, a fine example of a rumour whipped up into a frenzy where we deluded ourselves he could be acquired, and persuaded ourselves it is all 'FACT'. I for one have never seen a direct quote from anybody at the club that we are after him.

Powell openly admitted we were after him mate

• seth plum said:

Apart from the interview Powell gave where he specifically mentioned him as a target you mean?
    OK, I must have missed that, can you point me in the direction of that interview?

• edited July 2012
    News Hopper or OS.

Either or both of them, just before/around last week's Welling match, Seth.
    Article, "Frustration with transfer targets" or something like that, off the top of my head.

Was a link on here, prob News Hopper thread.
  • was a big article in the Newsshopper after the Welling game
  • Hull just bought a striker today, so maybe Fryatt is now surplus to requirements there.
  • edited July 2012
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/9818043.Addicks_still_some_way_off_West_Ham_striker_deal/

Well if this is what you mean then I think I am right that there is no evidence of an active specific persuit of Baldock.
    More pointedly, much more pointedly in my view, Powell says that 'players' wage demands are 'excessive' which screams out to me that our budget is limited, no bottomless pit of dosh, no money tree. That has been the theme of my recent postings...I don't think we have any money to spend on a big signing, or if we do we're taking a huge gamble with the stability of the club.
  • Seth sir you really are a plum:)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!