Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• I can see why my fellow Lions fans find the signing of Friend amusing. However, it is a bit harsh.

He just wasn't a very 'Millwall' type defender. He looked a bit fragile, and certainly proved to be.

When you've been brought up on the likes of Harry Cripps, Barry Kitchener, Keith Stevens, Ben Thatcher, Kevin Muscat and Tony Craig you expect your defenders to go into every tackle with a mad glime in their eye and win the ball, by fair means or foul. You expect them to be thumping their chests in the rain, on a cold Tuesday night in Barnsley and giving their all for the cause.

George Friend isn't that type of defender. We called him a 'Palace' type player. He liked it to be sunny and to have plenty of time to dribble the ball out of defence and for the opposition not to be too beastly or the home fans too partisan.

He looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights most of the time.

Yet, he has had time to evolve. And he was composed on the ball. Doncaster fans must of thought he put himself on the line for them as they battled relegation. So , who knows.

£100k is a fair gamble.
  • 'we've got more friends than you'
  • A sensible puchase, we needed a 4th CB. I've no idea who the 1st choice pairing will be, I imagine Morrison will start the season though, as I've forgotten is he left or right sides usually?

Right, as he can play RB as well

he played lcb last season. Although obvs rcb will be no problem to him, maybe better
  • Thats cos no one likes them...........and they don't care
  • id say 100k is the complete opposite of a gamble at this level
  • Who's actually selling the club to him seeing as powell is in spain? Over skype? Or phone? Let's hope who ever is selling the club to him does it well!

I think Owen is flying back to tie up loose ends. :-0
  • id say 100k is the complete opposite of a gamble at this level

You say that, but £100k can make up a fair whack of wages for a FREE signing - eg Osbourne.
  • AlexC said:

Around 4.7m I think

Cheers Alex.

• edited July 2012
    Bunny said:

id say 100k is the complete opposite of a gamble at this level

You say that, but £100k can make up a fair whack of wages for a FREE signing - eg Osbourne.
    It'll be interested too see what you make of Osbourne if your analogy of a Millwaal type defender is Harry Cripps, Barry Kitchener, Keith Stevens, Ben Thatcher, Kevin Muscat and Tony Craig
  • Bubble said:

Bunny said:

It'll be interested too see what you make of Osbourne if your analogy of a Millwaal type defender is Harry Cripps, Barry Kitchener, Keith Stevens, Ben Thatcher, Kevin Muscat and Tony Craig
    Thats's the stereotype - if they are not of that mould then they need to be good - Ian Dawes, Colin Cooper, Lucas Neil, Kenny Cunnigham, Lowry.

George Friend is in neither camp.

Osbourne sounds like he is intelligent and quick. So, we shall see.

• Sponsored links:

• Bunny said:

would you say giving a contract to a player that finished 9th in the league below is a gamble?
  • Bunny said:

would you say giving a contract to a player that finished 9th in the league below is a gamble?
    Yes.
  • Bunny said:

Bunny said:

Yes.
    small club small minds
  • J BLOCK said:

Bunny said:

Bunny said:

Yes.
    small club small minds
    Small club, yes...that's why everything is a gamble. We're not the football club that have been in finacial trouble so dire it resulted in losing our stadium. So, I prefer our cautious approach compared to the likes of Portsmouth.

Millwall spend just under 70% of their income on wages - and we're now a steady Championship club, that'll do me.
  • Bunny said:

Bubble said:

Bunny said:

Thats's the stereotype - if they are not of that mould then they need to be good - Ian Dawes, Colin Cooper, Lucas Neil, Kenny Cunnigham, Lowry.

Doesn't sound like Millwall to me !

• Bunny said:

Bubble said:

Bunny said:

I dunno - I thought breaking into the JJB store attatched to Wigan's stadium and using Hockey masks and sticks to fight the GMP was extremely quick and smart thinking.
  • Bunny said:

Bunny said:

Bubble said:

Bunny said:

I dunno - I thought breaking into the JJB store attatched to Wigan's stadium and using Hockey masks and sticks to fight the GMP was extremely quick and smart thinking.
    That's intelligent ????? Think you need a Thesaurus, Bunny !

• I'm sure ive read that article before, maybe on newshopper site a few weeks back?
  • Bunny said:

n
    Bunny said:

Bunny said:

Bubble said:

Bunny said:

only a millwall fan use that as an example
  • Sponsored links:

• Like all Millwall fans, good, bad, evil, nice, intelligent, stupid...I have to play up to a stereotype when conversing with Charlton fans. It's just easier that way.
  • Mike said:

I'm sure ive read that article before, maybe on newshopper site a few weeks back?

Just cut that from a Twitter feed. The story does seem a bit re-hashed doesn't it. At least we are being told things we want to hear right now! In SCP we trust!
  • Pardon my ignorance , but who on earth is George Friend?

I've heard of George Doors , but not George friend.
  • I was told by a Place mate that Wiggins was rubbish - he'll be the best left back in the Championship next season as he was best left back in League One last season. Sir Chris knows his onions when it come sto signing players. We are absolutely going to embaress the Spanners and Beagles next season. COYRs
  • I was told by a Place mate that Wiggins was rubbish - he'll be the best left back in the Championship next season as he was best left back in League One last season. Sir Chris knows his onions when it come sto signing players. We are absolutely going to embaress the Spanners and Beagles next season. COYRs

Better than Wayne Bridge?

• Bunny said:

I was told by a Place mate that Wiggins was rubbish - he'll be the best left back in the Championship next season as he was best left back in League One last season. Sir Chris knows his onions when it come sto signing players. We are absolutely going to embaress the Spanners and Beagles next season. COYRs

Wayne Bridge is slower than continental drift
  • colthe3rd said:

Bunny said:

I was told by a Place mate that Wiggins was rubbish - he'll be the best left back in the Championship next season as he was best left back in League One last season. Sir Chris knows his onions when it come sto signing players. We are absolutely going to embaress the Spanners and Beagles next season. COYRs

Wayne Bridge is slower than continental drift
    couldn't even keep up with his bird ;-))

• Wayne Bridge is nothing but a big name!I think our full backs will surprise many next season! Sounds so biased but they are two very good, young prospects!
  • He has 2 arms, 2 legs, he's £100 grand, he'll do.

And he won't even need his arms.
  • "FOOTBALL FRIEND"

Very good.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!