Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• if baldock signs great, if he doesnt we just get on with it and carry on with our preperations for the new season.
  • What with all the supposing and theorising that has been the mainstay on CL in the last few weeks, I think this Baldock business has assumed a greater importance in our minds than perhaps it should. The lad by all reports, and I don't have a first clue BTW, is a class act and if you believe tweets, ternet and snippets in the South London Depress has a decision to make. If he comes he comes, if not we move on with one of the best Charlton teams I have seen in many a year.
  • boogica said:

if baldock signs great, if he doesnt we just get on with it and carry on with our preperations for the new season.

Absolutely, we seem to have a few solid signings lined up now. No stars. We did ok with that last year.

• Don't know much about George Friend but he's the experienced championship player some were asking for, and for 100k you can't really go wrong
  • Hate how when we sign a player he Immediately turns toilet in other fans eyes, millwall fans having a field day saying how awful he is even tough he got doncaster poty which probably wasn't too hard to get seeing as they went down....
  • Don't know much about George Friend but he's the experienced championship player some were asking for, and for 100k you can't really go wrong

Seems a good bit of business, but the cynical part of me asks two things.

Why only £100K ?

Been on loan a bit, why is no-one (apparently) else after him ?

Can only trust SCP

• most importantly...........does he pass the CL height test ?????
  • Two answers:

Doncaster have to offload high wage earners, so it is £100K to the good plus salary off the books.

Friend was one of Middlesborough's targets.
  • Yeah I noticed he has been passed around quite a lot, with the price I think donny just might simply need the money, how long left has he got on his contract?
  • Signed last summer until June 2013.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't Friend play for the Spanners on loan a couple of years ago ?
  • 000_Jaaaaay we don't worry about Spanner supporters mate. There are only two in the world that have more than one marble rolling from one side of their head to the other, and they have to come on here for company.
  • Don't know much about him, but

Positive
    - player of the year for a championship club last season

Negative
    - Main centre half for a club relegated and conceded 80 goals last season
  • Seems a good bit of business, but the cynical part of me asks two things.

Why only £100K ?

Been on loan a bit, why is no-one (apparently) else after him ?

Can only trust SCP

I have dug out firm interest from Boro, and also reported interest from Leeds, Palace and Burnley

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2012/06/21/boro-s-changes-of-signing-george-friend-are-boosted-84229-31230447/

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster/doncaster-middlesbrough-chase-rovers-ace-george-friend-1-4630068
  • In sure he used to be left back for wolves exeter etc
  • Well Hudson was in the heart of our woeful championship defense and he's turned out alrght. In fairness didn't think he was that bad for us.

If Friend is anywhere near as good as him think he'll be a good signing esp at 100k, solid championship defender turning 25 in the new season and played quite a lot of first team games for his age. Also previous captain and fans POTY

• Don't know much about him, but

Positive
    - player of the year for a championship club last season

Negative
    - Main centre half for a club relegated and conceded 80 goals last season

made only 26 starts due to injury. primarily a LB who can play LCH and LM.

• http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=233700.0

Link to Donnie forum thread about this. They seem to rate him.
  • Barnstaple-born Friend began his career at local club Exeter and helped win promotion to the Football League in a play-off final victory over Cambridge at Wembley Stadium. During that season he became the youngest ever captain in Exeter’s history.
    Read More http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2012/06/09/boro-keen-on-doncaster-defender-george-friend-84229-31142860/#ixzz213YQsDz9
  • "FOOTBALL FRIEND"
  • Sponsored links:

• looking at his profile when he was 21, he made six appearances in a months loan at Millwall and the 4 games he started they kept a clean sheet in 3 of them.

At Donny he was appointed captain at the beginning of 2011–12 and won player of the year and supporters player of the year.
  • What's the betting that Millwall fans tell us he's complete shite!
  • Just spoke with a Donny fan in work about Friend. His view..."not bad, came from Wolves a couple of years ago, but hardly played there. Can play CB/LB and very popular with the fans. Will be one of the higher earners we really need off our books"

• A sensible puchase, we needed a 4th CB. I've no idea who the 1st choice pairing will be, I imagine Morrison will start the season though, as I've forgotten is he left or right sides usually?
  • Seems like Powell knows who he wants!

Did we ever doubt that, Willmore ?

• A sensible puchase, we needed a 4th CB. I've no idea who the 1st choice pairing will be, I imagine Morrison will start the season though, as I've forgotten is he left or right sides usually?

Right, as he can play RB as well

• I've sent a message to a donny ST holder I went to uni with, will post up his reply.
  • Seems like Powell knows who he wants!

Did we ever doubt that, Willmore ?

Nope never, looks like he's gonna be signing the right players also

Right, as he can play RB as well

not if his performance at RB at Stevenage is anything to go by he can't

• He has 2 arms, 2 legs, he's £100 grand, he'll do.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!