Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Shackell will be revealed as our new signing by the end of the week and we will stump up over 1 mill to steal him from under the noses of Burnley. I have a strong feeling about this one.
  • But centre back is a generally strong/if not the strongest area of our team and I think we only need a centre back for back up and Shackell would be a first team defender.
  • i think that Taylor would be back up leaving Cort and Shackell to fight it out for a starting XI spot. shackell is Derby's captain and the fans rate him very highly (I have been following this closely on Twitter). they cannot Believe that Clough is willing to let him leave. some of them are furious at the thought!
  • An interesting theory on FR , wiki says he is from Sidcup.

04 Jul 2012 17:51:01
    Charlton are set to make a move for Arsenal youngster Conor Henderson.

Henderson, who has featured in cup competitions for the team, has had a long term knee problem and is now believed to be fully fit. He can play out wide on the left on in the middle an Chris Powell see's him as a perfect back-up to Johnnie Jackson due to their very similar playing styles and abilities.

It is believed to be a loan deal with a view to a permanent move in the summer if he impresses.
    I can soon verify if this is true. I work with his Aunt.
    Is he the ex Colfe's lad?

• There is no doubt Shackell is very good but if funds are limited I think the central of defense can hold its own in the CCC and we can strengthen other areas instead.
  • Sign one and more will follow, the first is the hardest. Make one marquee signing and the rest will see us a better proposition
  • If we could only sign one player this summer, I'd want a centre mid.
  • Also RE Shackell: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18704229
    maybe so but it doesn't mean he will end up there. if we were to match Burnley's offer it would be down to the player to decide. it's not as if we are competing with one of the glamour clubs in the league so we might still have a chance of landing him albeit a very slim one!

personally from what I've read I'd be more than happy to see him in the red of Charlton.

• I remember last season that Wiggins had practically signed for Watford so still a chance we could grab Shackell.
  • Sponsored links:

• do we really want to spend 1 million on a defender, given that our budget sounds like it is very limited, I'd rather spend the bulk of any cash available on the midfield, which is the weakest part of our squad.
  • But centre back is a generally strong/if not the strongest area of our team and I think we only need a centre back for back up and Shackell would be a first team defender.
    If he signs Powell will be thinking longer term - Cort and Taylor will probably do a job in the Champ for a year, two at most.

A younger quicker defender that could potentially play in the Prem would be ideal.
    If he signs Powell will be thinking longer term - Cort and Taylor will probably do a job in the Champ for a year, two at most.

A younger quicker defender that could potentially play in the Prem would be ideal.
    Yes but if we have limited funds there are other areas of the team that might not even do a job in the CCC for a year. So I would rather improve a very weak position immediately than buy a player for a position that is all ready strong enough for next season. Yes I would be very pleased if we signed a top player like Shackell but if we have limited funds I just don't think we can afford to waste money on already strong areas of the team.
  • If we could only sign one player this summer, I'd want a centre mid.
    This.
  • We don't know what the budget is. If there has been boardroom disagreement, it no doubt involved the budget. We may have millions to spend now or we may have nothing. We'll have to wait & see.
  • Maybe someone is leaving seems like an odd signing if no one is
  • In Powell I trust.
  • edited July 2012
    With regards Lawrie Wilson, I'm pretty sure last Thursdays local paper here in Peterborough suggested he'd chosen Posh over us... maybe that's fallen through now? Might learn more tomorrow.

Interestingly the other player who I think has actually signed for Peterborough was also alleged to have been a target for us.
  • edited July 2012
    Stevenage have confirmed 2 Championship clubs are in for Wilson: http://www.stevenagefc.com/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10839~2832215,00.html

I hope its not us.
  • I don't actually know what position he actually plays.... I once saw him play at full back and then when stevenage came to us he played off the striker..
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevenage have confirmed 2 Championship clubs are in for Wilson: http://www.stevenagefc.com/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10839~2832215,00.html

I hope its not us.
    If Powell wants him you wouldn't trust him? Pretty sure he'd be coming in as a squad player.
    But centre back is a generally strong/if not the strongest area of our team and I think we only need a centre back for back up and Shackell would be a first team defender.

Yes but if we have limited funds there are other areas of the team that might not even do a job in the CCC for a year. So I would rather improve a very weak position immediately than buy a player for a position that is all ready strong enough for next season. Yes I would be very pleased if we signed a top player like Shackell but if we have limited funds I just don't think we can afford to waste money on already strong areas of the team.
    If we're spending £1m on a strong position we probably don't have limited funds. With the loanees gone I'm sure Powell knows we'll need a midfielder or two to replace them.
  • Shackell's signed for Burnley
  • Shackell deal completed!!

For burnley.....
  • oh crap!
  • I'm glad. Firstly he's 28
    Secondly, WHY have Derby let him go? If he's that good they would have moved heaven and earth to keep him. As for the clubs, Derby is certainly a bigger club than Burnley. As for us, we need a younger pacier centre half. We don't really know how Cort, Morrison and particularly Taylor will fare in the Chamionship
  • Stevenage have confirmed 2 Championship clubs are in for Wilson: http://www.stevenagefc.com/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10839~2832215,00.html

I hope its not us.
    If Powell wants him you wouldn't trust him? Pretty sure he'd be coming in as a squad player.

Obviously if Powell does think he's good enough then who am I to argue!!
    Its just my opinion having watched Stevenage quite a bit over the last couple of years. As a rb he's too much of a liability - head down and wants to run the ball out of defence himself and gets caught out far too often. As a right mid his positioning isnt great and and delivery is shocking. As I said, a mate who works there feels he's not good enough for the championship.

But who knows! I guess he'd be quite cheap unless p'borough force a bidding war and SCP might see something in him. If of course there is any fact behind the link at all!

• Shackell is shite and wouldn't have fitted in at Charlton

*says this after he chose Burnley and having never seen him play*

Henderson, who has featured in cup competitions for the team, has had a long term knee problem and is now believed to be fully fit. He can play out wide on the left on in the middle an Chris Powell see's him as a perfect back-up to Johnnie Jackson due to their very similar playing styles and abilities.

It is believed to be a loan deal with a view to a permanent move in the summer if he impresses.

Have spoken with his aunt and there's a strong possibility Conor Henderson will be signing and yes, ex-Colfes

Have spoken with his aunt and there's a strong possibility Conor Henderson will be signing and yes, ex-Colfes

I believe Valley McMoist over the famous five any day.

Conor Henderson will be our first signing LOCKED ON FACT.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks VM , he sounds like the sort of player we should be going for.

In terms of Shackell ,remember Burnley will still have Prem money.

The reason why we went for him I suspect is because he is left footed ,I wouldn't have wanted us to fork out 1M for a player who last year was signed on a Bosman .I suspect this instant profit will have been attractive to the Rams under Fair Play regs
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!