Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• to compliment what we have, not as main tactic.

We saw on Monday that we didn't have that option but Wednsday did.

And if he is fast and clinical why is he coming out on loan to us?  And loans still cost fees and/or wages.
    I'm just not keen on a targetman lol. Any suggestions on which target man you'd sign?

BWP is pretty fast and clinical (I know he's not on loan but still), as is Schlupp and Eccleston. We could get the latter two on loan because they're young. Getting somebody fast and clinical in their prime, at this level, is near impossible.
    Target man does not always mean lump it football, but if we have a forward who wins most things in the air it means we score more from crosses.  It also means more flick ons for BWP to score from
  • All this talk about a target man, any suggestions lads? :P
  • I would prefer someone like Harry Kane from Spurs or Abofe from Arsenal but so would most of the league I guess.
    think it's Afobe Henry, dyslexia strikes again ;-)
    Not Afobe, he's rubbish.  Abofe is much better : - )

And while I do have dyslexia, very mildly, that was just laziness to not check what his name was.
  • Afobe won't be going out on loan.

• Schlupp might have come but then he got into the first team.

That might have changed again since Beckford signed.

Ecclestone wasn't Powell's signing and he didn't play him very often when he was here.

Agree with I saw Target man does not = lump it.     It can do but it can also mean the ball being won in the air, hold up play, flick ons and being able to push back their defensive line.
    Kane and Abofe like I said
    Kane and Abofe like I said
    Kane's half an inch taller than Paynter and Afobe's the same size.

Look to be highly rated youngsters though, so I'd be happy with either of them.
  • FR may be bollox.......but, how many of our 18 signings were on FR? If they all were then that makes it a good site?
  • Is this Afobe an Acrobat ?

Think we need a striker who is pacy and plays off a big man, not another big man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hayes and Euell are both 5"11, not exactly small. We need someone fast who can score goals.
  • We've just signed Smith. Surely he should be given a go before any creaking old war horses such as Paynter are brought in to warm the bench
  • would like to see Smith next Tuesday up front alongside Benno (if fit) if not Euell.
  • I thought Smith was a year or two off being in the first team? I haven't seen him play, I just read that somewhere.
  • Don't need players like Eccleston as I don't see the point of these types of players who keep emerging.

Fast, athletic, skillful and willing but can't cross, tackle, head or score.

You get excited when they receive the ball and go racing off and then nothing ever results from it.

Where do you play them??
  • Don't need a big target man either. 

Just tempts good players into playing hoof-ball and negates our best weapon- BWP.

Leave that stuff to "Megson's Monoliths" and Saint Parky of  Bradford.
  • Steve Kavanagh did mention Frank Nouble at the Bromley meeting.

Thankfully he mentioned him in the context of he won't be coming back
  • hahahaha nouble was unbelievably awful
  • Ecclestone went out on loan on transfer deadline day.............but can't remember where .

For me we need someone like BWP, either to replace him if he gets injured or to come off the bench & serve as an impact player  with 10-15 mins to go.

No need for a Target man or anyone over 6ft - we have hayes & benno for that. 

If BWP got a bad injury and was out for months then we are f*****d and wont be going up - in fact probably the opposite. A strike force of just Euell, Benson & Hayes fills me with dread.

• Nouble - The tallest man who couldnt head a ball!
  • Sponsored links:

• He went to Fulham didn't he?
  • Eccleston is still at Liverpool, he hasn't gone out on loan.
    Why would he even think of coming back to us? Powell didn't even play him last season when our team was crap.
    Why would he even think of coming back to us? Powell didn't even play him last season when our team was crap.
    I didn't say he would come back to us, I said he hadn't gone out on loan like somebody said. Read it next time. :)
  • We've just signed Smith. Surely he should be given a go before any creaking old war horses such as Paynter are brought in to warm the bench
    Creaking old warhorse, Large?

Paynter is only just 27.
  • I always thought Eccleston looked dangerous and exciting when he played.  Always looked like an impact player from the bench.  Not sure if he moved in the transfer window - but I think he'd be a great addition to the squad (again).
    He went to Fulham I think?
    Creaking old warhorse, Large?

Paynter is only just 27.
    He musta had a hard life ! ... creaking at 27 ?
  • Frumours latest

08 Sep 2011 12:50:25

Charlton manager Chris Powell said at today's press conference that he
    is no longer after another striker as he considers Michael Smith ready
    for first team action. "We were cautious initially about (Smith) but
    he's shown in training and a reserve game that he's up to the Standard
    we need in league one" Powell said.

Powell denied that he was interested in either Billy Paynter or Nathan
    Eccleston on loan and laughed off talk about James Constable from
    Oxford.

07 Sep 2011 09:20:29

Scott Wagstaff Charlton is being watched by Nottingham Forest. Watford are also watching the situation.

• Our four strikers will be BWP, Hayes, Euell and Smith then? With Benson going out on loan. That's ok.
  • its pretty poor mate. If BWP gets injured we would be screwed.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!