Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Cawley on Twitter reckons someone will have to leave before another striker comes in. Maybe Benson out on loan and then someone coming in.
  • Cawley on Twitter reckons someone will have to leave before another striker comes in. Maybe Benson out on loan and then someone coming in.

I don't believe that is the case
  • What is the case then?
  • Paynter's better than Hayes. Maybe we could get him on a year's loan? That would be a good deal.
  • Leon Clarke is off then. No suprise there. Not someone CP would want!
  • @CharltonFan94 and that is based on? Hayes has done well so far.
  • @CharltonFan94 and that is based on? Hayes has done well so far.
    He looks ok, but I don't see much goal threat there. I think Paynter is a lot stronger and would get more goals. Plus Hayes would be good to come off the bench.
  • 2 goals in 6 games i think he has. Also got a few assists.

Not bad for a player that hardly played last year.
  • I didn't say he was a bad player, I like him, he looks good on the ball, I just think we need to strengthen up front and Paynter would help. Could start BWP and Paynter with Hayes on the bench.
  • Hayes is there to link the attack and lead the line, which in my opinion he has done so far.  Additionaly he will get his quota of goals.

We don't need to be signing someone to replace Hayes that's for sure.  We should have 4 strikers in the squad, idealy a aeriel threat target man and a pacey type of player so that we have different types to Hayes and BWP.  The quick style player as back up to BWP and as an impact player from the bench.

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2011
    Right now we only have three strikers in the squad, Benson's out of the equation at the moment. He is useless sat in the stand.

If we sign Paynter, he will get us goals in this league. He could be an option on the bench even, I think he'd be a good addition nonetheless.

Just had a little think about it, who's the better player; Paynter or Hayes? Paynter. Who would suit our style more and play better with BWP? Probably Hayes. Still sign Paynter though. :P
  • Abbott scored more goals over the same time period as Paynter and according to many on this forum he was crap!! I don't think Paynter is the answer.
  • Paynter has had one decent season at Swindon and his injury record is poor. Done nothing for Leeds and didnt impress against us for Swindon. No the answer imo.
  • We don't need to replace Hayes (who as I saw says is doing well with goals and assists) but we would benefit from a different type of player such as Paynter to come off the bench.  Not sure id Paynter is the right man but that type.

A big target man, which not what Hayes is, would be nice.

A big target man who is super fast and can score 19 goals a season would be ideal but Drogba isn't available :-)
  • What is the obsession with getting a target man? Personally, I don't want us to constantly lump up it a target man, I'd prefer us to get it downand play some nice stuff. I'm glad Powell has the same philosophy.

Surely someone fast or someone clinical (as good as Hayes and Euel are, they're not clinical) up front would be a lot more useful than just a big lump.
  • Someone like Schlupp will do nicely. I reckon Powelly will dipp into loan market to see what prem youngsters are available. 
  • Someone like Schlupp will do nicely. I reckon Powelly will dipp into loan market to see what prem youngsters are available. 
    Schlupp is my first choice aswell, mate. He looks class!
  • I always thought Eccleston looked dangerous and exciting when he played.  Always looked like an impact player from the bench.  Not sure if he moved in the transfer window - but I think he'd be a great addition to the squad (again).
  • I always thought Eccleston looked dangerous and exciting when he played.  Always looked like an impact player from the bench.  Not sure if he moved in the transfer window - but I think he'd be a great addition to the squad (again).
    He's still at Liverpool and hasn't been involved in any first team action, even in pre-season. He'll be available for loan, but I think some Championship clubs might come in for him.
  • fast and clinical = ££££££££££££££££££

And saying I think we need a different type of player such as a target man once is not an "obsession". 
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah to be fair I did rate Eccleston. In a better team with confidence he would be a really good player. 
  • On loan though? ;)

That wasn't directed at you, mate, but the whole board. A lot of people seem desperate for us to play with a big target man, I don't understand why.
  • I used to watch Eccleston at Liverpool when he was in the Under 18s on Liverpool tv. Him and David Amoo (plays right mid, so we don't need him) are both class.
  • to compliment what we have, not as main tactic.

We saw on Monday that we didn't have that option but Wednsday did.

And if he is fast and clinical why is he coming out on loan to us?  And loans still cost fees and/or wages.
  • Iain Liddle on twitter is off to Powell Thursday press conference he said he will put the question about Paynter and a potential loan forward
  • I dont think Eccelstone will come back as he caused a big stink when he didnt start. Powell doesn't want that sort of player here.
  • I would prefer someone like Harry Kane from Spurs or Abofe from Arsenal but so would most of the league I guess.
  • to compliment what we have, not as main tactic.

We saw on Monday that we didn't have that option but Wednsday did.

And if he is fast and clinical why is he coming out on loan to us?  And loans still cost fees and/or wages.
    I'm just not keen on a targetman lol. Any suggestions on which target man you'd sign?

BWP is pretty fast and clinical (I know he's not on loan but still), as is Schlupp and Eccleston. We could get the latter two on loan because they're young. Getting somebody fast and clinical in their prime, at this level, is near impossible.
  • I would prefer someone like Harry Kane from Spurs or Abofe from Arsenal but so would most of the league I guess.
    think it's Afobe Henry, dyslexia strikes again ;-)
  • So a young, fast forward seems to be the most popular option here, yeah? Totally agree. :)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!