Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Apart from the fact that Lisbie made so many of his Charlton appearances as sub, (often around only10-15 minutes or less towards the end of a game) - then it would be much fairer to compare his goals to starts ratio, wouldn't it?

We could all see that Lisbie had a panic crisis when given time in front of goal, but when he reacted instinctively he could be very effective indeed. His strengths were a decent 1st touch, good ball skills and retention, and quick acceleration.

Don't forget, the majority of his Charlton games and goals were against the best defenders in the Premier League.
    His link up play with team mates was also very good. And his best form was when he actually got a run of starts together - and in Lisbie's case, that's when his self-belief began to visibly rise.

We might very well have seen a much more effective Lisbie if it hadn't been for so many injuries.
    Plus his critics always overlook that Curbs picked him over such a long period, whenever fit ........ so what did Curbs see in Lisbie's game that the boo boys couldn't?

Or was Curbs hopelessly out of his depth in assessing his players' abilities and effectiveness in the team?
    I don't think so.
  • We're close to signing Brentfords left back/left midfielder Ryan Dickson.

But that is according to our local paper which usually speaks bollocks.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We're close to signing Brentfords left back/left midfielder Ryan Dickson.

oh i dont think we really care to be fair, if you had said Chris dickson then we would have jumped for joy but a nobody going to you i for one couldnt give 2 hoots!
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We're close to signing Brentfords left back/left midfielder Ryan Dickson.

oh i dont think we really care to be fair, if you had said Chris dickson then we would have jumped for joy but a nobody going to you i for one couldnt give 2 hoots!

Brentford fans say hes the Gareth Bale of League One.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We're close to signing Brentfords left back/left midfielder Ryan Dickson.

oh i dont think we really care to be fair, if you had said Chris dickson then we would have jumped for joybut a nobody going to you i for one couldnt give 2 hoots!

we shall see.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Plus his critics always overlook that Curbs picked him over such a long period, whenever fit ........ so what did Curbs see in Lisbie's game that the boo boys couldn't?

Or was Curbs hopelessly out of his depth in assessing his players' abilities and effectiveness in the team?
    I don't think so.

Didn't Curbs once give the answer to that question? He said " he creates his own chances".
    This would be a significant asset of course, if he put them away regularly.

If memory serves, Kevin had a good goalscoring ratio in the youth team and stiffs, and it was felt that with his other attributes he had great potential.

So, I wouldn't question the faith that Curbs had in him and I understand why he would want to give him every opportunity to realise that potential.

Unfortunately it never really happened and the fans ran out of patience long before Curbs did.

For what it's worth I think Lisbie's "problems" are all in his mind
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

Id like to keep an eye on who Pardew is signing to be fair, they are gonna be league favourites so i wanna know what we are gonna be up against.
  • what the feck has Southampton signings got to do with us, unless they sign someone from us i dont give a fook.

post it on your own forum
  • edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]For what it's worth I think Lisbie's "problems" are all in his mind
    I know what you mean, as someone said he doesn't seem to handle pressure well at all. Scored in the Championship for Colchester, but couldn't do it for Ipswich. If he was mentally strong he'd probably look a very good player.

I think I have to agree with those saying Charlton and Lisbie don't go. Clearly more talented than some of the strikers we've had recently, but probably not right for us even at this level.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]what the feck has Southampton signings got to do with us, unless they sign someone from us i dont give a fook.

good to see you got that friday feeling nla ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]what the feck has Southampton signings got to do with us, unless they sign someone from us i dont give a fook.

N'awwwwwwwww

oh i dont think we really care to be fair, if you had said Chris dickson then we would have jumped for joybut a nobody going to you i for one couldnt give 2 hoots!

So basically he's a below average left back. Awesome.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]

Gareth Bale is hardly below average in the Premier League. . . . .

But even if Dickson turns out to be 'below average' we have Harding and Lallana for a left-hand side.
  • You'd play Lallana at left back...!
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]

Gareth Bale is hardly below average in the Premier League. . . . .

But even if Dickson turns out to be 'below average' we have Harding and Lallana for a left-hand side.

Bale isn't below average for the Premier League, but if you take a Premiership footballer and tone them down to League 1 level, it means they're a pretty average left back. Given he scored 2 goals in 32 games that's hardly 'Bale'-esque either.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]You'd play Lallana at left back...!
    Where did I say that?

I said left hand side. Dickson can play LB or LM where we have Harding and Lallana (Although he isn't a LM).
  • Saints fan - any rumours from down your way about bigger clubs coming in for Lambert. After 60+ goals in 2 seasons in league one i'd be amazed if he wasn't linked to any championship sides.
    That said, Saints would probably want a fortune for him and he's probably on a good wage already.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Saints fan - any rumours from down your way about bigger clubs coming in for Lambert. After 60+ goals in 2 seasons in league one i'd be amazed if he wasn't linked to any championship sides.
    That said, Saints would probably want a fortune for him and he's probably on a good wage already.

There was a rumour on the BRFC Forum that Bristol City were going to make a £3m offer. One paper did link him and Puncheon with Celtic.

I personally don't think he would join either, but as we know money talks.
  • I don't think he'd go to Bristol city but i think you're mad if you think he'd turn down Celtic to stay in league one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I don't think he'd go to Bristol city but i think you're mad if you think he'd turn down Celtic to stay in league one.

I was going by the fact that he has only just moved down Southampton. I cannot think why he would want to move down here than sign for a team in Scotland.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]For what it's worth I think Lisbie's "problems" are all in his mind[/quote]
    I know what you mean, as someone said he doesn't seem to handle pressure well at all. Scored in the Championship for Colchester, but couldn't do it for Ipswich. If he was mentally strong he'd probably look a very good player.

I think I have to agree with those saying Charlton and Lisbie don't go. Clearly more talented than some of the strikers we've had recently, but probably not right for us even at this level.[/quote]

His problems at Charlton were:

1) A succession of injuries which invariably occured just as he started finding the net, ie straight after the Liverpool hat trick.

2) Never having the luxury to play alongside a proven goalscorer such as Darren Bent.

He never was and never will be a natural goalscorer, he needed someone to relieve him of that pressure. His strengths are in opening up defences and creating chances. Unfortunately at Charlton, because he never played alongside a goalscorer, the pressure was always on him to both create and put away the chances. In many ways he was his own worst enemy because he managed to create so many one on one situations but didn't quite have the finishing ability to match.
    Perhaps it would have been better for him if he'd developed as an attacking midfielder or a winger where the goalscoring expectations of the crowd wouldn't have been so high.
    I'd love it, love it, if he came back, but we'd need to find a goalscorer to play him alongside, then we'd see a prolific and exciting forward line where Lisbie may chip in with 10 - 12 goals himself.
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I don't think he'd go to Bristol city but i think you're mad if you think he'd turn down Celtic to stay in league one.

I was going by the fact that he has only just moved down Southampton. I cannot think why he would want to move down here than sign for a team in Scotland.

More money
    Playing in front of 60k fans
    Playing in Europe
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We're close to signing Brentfords left back/left midfielder Ryan Dickson.

But that is according to our local paper which usually speaks bollocks.[/quote]

oh i dont think we really care to be fair, if you had said Chris dickson then we would have jumped for joy[b]but a nobody going to you i for one couldnt give 2 hoots![/b][/quote]

Brentford fans say hes the Gareth Bale of League One.[/quote]

we shall see.....[/quote]

zzzzzzzzzzzz, not interested in Southampton and some no one LB they may or maynot sign.
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]For what it's worth I think Lisbie's "problems" are all in his mind

I think I have to agree with those saying Charlton and Lisbie don't go. Clearly more talented than some of the strikers we've had recently, but probably not right for us even at this level.

His problems at Charlton were:

1) A succession of injuries which invariably occured just as he started finding the net, ie straight after the Liverpool hat trick.

2) Never having the luxury to play alongside a proven goalscorer such as Darren Bent.

He never was and never will be a natural goalscorer, he needed someone to relieve him of that pressure. His strengths are in opening up defences and creating chances. Unfortunately at Charlton, because he never played alongside a goalscorer, the pressure was always on him to both create and put away the chances. In many ways he was his own worst enemy because he managed to create so many one on one situations but didn't quite have the finishing ability to match.
    Perhaps it would have been better for him if he'd developed as an attacking midfielder or a winger where the goalscoring expectations of the crowd wouldn't have been so high.
    I'd love it, love it, if he came back, but we'd need to find a goalscorer to play him alongside, then we'd see a prolific and exciting forward line where Lisbie may chip in with 10 - 12 goals himself.

What he said. I always thought he would have excelled on the wing.
  • Huddersfield getting some decent signings in with Gary Naysmith the latest addition.
  • Latest from transfer rumours:

04 Jun 2010 17:04:28
    Charlton Athletic have already agreed a deal to sign Brett Pitman from Bournemouth after missing out on Chris Dagnall. Phil Parkinson is also said to be close to signing Dean Lewington from MK Dons. I have also heard the other player Charlton are set to sign is Alan McCormack from Southend. All these signings will funded from Nicky Bailey leaving, While Charlton will focus on Semedo signing a new deal, That is the only business Charlton Athletic will do this Summer.
  • yassin moutakils contract has termanated- on the os
  • mart were did u hear that stuff
  • [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]mart were did u hear that stuff
    http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

It's on there, but you can literally send in anything you want and they'll put it on there.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!