Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Re Dale Stephens - this is on the Oldham OS

Latics have today confirmed that a number of clubs have shown interest in midfield player Dale Stephens.

The talented 21-year-old, who had a loan  spell at Southampton towards the end of the 2010/11 season, has become one of the hottest properties in the lower divisions.

Stephens scored 10 goals for Latics last season finishing only one shy of leading marksman Chris Taylor.

Latics Chief Executive Alan Hardy said: "There have been a few clubs who have shown interest in Dale.

"At the moment, however, we have been able to resist all approaches."

Stephens was signed from Bury in 2008 and since making his debut the following year has made 63 first-team appearances scoring 12 goals.

• Disco. It doesn't take a fool to realise we need defender. Powell knows that. We will get defenders in.

We haven't got anything to worry about seriously. If we get gower and green. Our midfield is looking top notch. Were not going to start the season with daily and doc are we
  • So it sounds like he's on his way out - but going where...
  • So it sounds like he's on his way out - but going where...

He was at the Valley today dont yer know
  • Disco. It doesn't take a fool to realise we need defender. Powell knows that. We will get defenders in.

We haven't got anything to worry about seriously. If we get gower and green. Our midfield is looking top notch. Were not going to start the season with daily and doc are we
    I know but I just want everything to be spot on.

I am happy what we signed so far but it's the defence that needs sorting out now :-)
  • If your buying sunday dinner it doesn't matter if you put the meat or the veg in the shopping basket first.

All that matters is that they are there when start cooking.
  • Am I the only one thinking Waggy might be starting the season as a striker instead of a right winger. He's scored goals and has pace, but he goes missing for long periods on the wing...
  • Swansea forumites say that Gower is joining us for £150,000
  • If your buying sunday dinner it doesn't matter if you put the meat or the veg in the shopping basket first.

..and that the chef knows how to cook?
    ...and that the gas hasnt been cut off, otherwise the vegetables will be raw?

..and that the chef knows how to cook?
    ...and that the gas hasnt been cut off, otherwise the vegetables will be raw?
    What about the gravy?

And yorkshire puds?
  • Sponsored links:

Well it does really because in supermarkets you normally see the Veg and Meat first lol
  • I know I know we all do. By the looks of things with our midfield we could end up having the strongest midfield in the league. Jackson hollands alonso and maybe green gower and stephens. Then with waggy, evina who can play left mid. Looks quality to me. Then powelly will start work on the defence or maybe he already has started work on the defence.

If we start next season with the same back 2 we might aswell send all our newbies back. Powelly will sort it out with a couple of big quick brutes I'm shore
  • legge and pearce, dont fancy 'magnus oukhangahe' his name is too hard to spell!
  • Given that we have only signed Evina I'm presuming that the search for the right sort of defender is just taking longer. Looking at the midfield/forward line we seem to be going for  acertain sort of ball playing footballer. If CP is extending that to the centre-backs and defence then it limits the type of player who fits in his thinking.
  • Sign Strikers and midfielders first, and worry about the back four later, as defenders are probably easier to buy. Also a stronger midfield will help the back four out no end
  • Liking the names we're being linked with now and starting to regain some belief. Just stuck some cash on us to win the league while you can still get 14-1
  • How tall was Norman Wisdom ?
    Why is he signing for us?
  • I don't know about anyone else, but I am loving the prospect of seeing a number of quality players being linked with us.  Not all of the rumours will end up with a CAFC squad number for the individual involved, but it gives me the impression that the club is thinking strategically in that they know that those who win promotion tend to have strength in depth.

It will be blindingly obvious that we need a defensive rebuild as well, and I have faith that this will happen in due course.  But I don't care in which order the players arrive if they are good footballers, and I am quite excited (and indeed delighted) that we seem to be making moves for some of the best talent in the lower divisions.

I really think that the bet on us to win the league that I took at 14-1 the other week is going to look like an absolute bargain by August...

..but then again I've got the day off tomorrow and I've just cracked a beer, so I suppose I've just borrowed the rose tinted specs from one or our ever cheery resident lifers for a while...but who cares? It's great to feel positive about Charlton as we haven't had much of that feeling in the past few years, have we?

I've got a feeling that it's going to be a lot more enjoyable following our wonderful club in the coming seasons.....bring it on!

Apologies if the happiness and positivity is a bit much btw....

• Liking the names we're being linked with now and starting to regain some belief. Just stuck some cash on us to win the league while you can still get 14-1
    Wow amazing odds!
  • Signings all ok so far. Still dont think we have addressed the lack of a physical edge in our side. Powell has,mentioned wanting to do something about it.

Dont think a couple of big defenders will solve it.

Gower, Green, Stephens dont either. All good players, but in my opinion without a presence in midfield and up top we are going to struggle with setplays and away from home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gower doesn't appear to be a shrinking violet!
  • Apparently Mark Gower is leaving Swansea and someone on twitter says he's signing for us. I recall someone saying something about this a while back.

Good scoop mart77 - I make your post a good three minutes before it was reported on any other Charlton forum.

Twitter strikes again first for news - what ever did people do without it!
  • Maybe we've been unable to attract any decent centre halfs because we haven't shown any ambition in the midfield department. Reckon that should change in the next few days.
  • Just lucky off it. A Swansea fan posted it and told me about the move and I only found it because I searched Charlton. Twitter has its knockers but it does bring any kind of news instantly to the masses.
  • edited June 2011
    We are looking at bringing defenders in-

rudd123 Ian Rudd 
    @RichCawleySLP More Midfielders???? A Centre Half or two would be nice....

RichCawleySLP Richard Cawley 
    @irudd123 They know that. But getting good ones is proving tough
  • Still relatively early in the summer for us to get too worried about the lack of defenders, we may have someone lined up to join on July 1st and even if we don't, Powell will know CB has to be a priority. If we are still at this stage in 3/4 weeks, then it will be a concern.

Think we will keep Dailly and Doc although in Docs case- as backup, hopefully Legge and the Colchester guy to come in as first choices.

• We were linked with Gower back in the January window. NLA mentioned it
  • I'm really loving seeing us signing / being linked with all these players. They're the best that we could expect at this level, I think. Alonso, Evina, Green... brilliant! I haven't been this excited in the pre-season for years!

Can't wait to see the new team in action :)

Plus some even better news on Football Rumours tonight:

"Barnet have made tentative enquiries for Charlton midfielder Alan MacCormack following the Addicks acquisition of a raft of midfield players."
  • Just lucky off it. A Swansea fan posted it and told me about the move and I only found it because I searched Charlton. Twitter has its knockers but it does bring any kind of news instantly to the masses.
    As I say mart77, according to the timing you posted that three minutes before it appeared elsewhere, so unless someone has been buggering about with the clocks I've no reason to doubt you.

•  Twitter has its knockers but it does bring any kind of news instantly to the masses.
    Snort.

I'll get me coat.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!