Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Que? ;-)
  • Interesting... older brother of Xabi... obviously never got anywhere near there but from what I've seen of him he is handy and has never operated at such a low level
  • Wasn't he at Bolton?
  • edited June 2011
    Short loan spell on loan a few years ago but didn't get a lot of football.

Went to Tenerife and has been up down and down with them since... they are playing at our level next season after being relegated back-to-back despite starting last season in the bookies' top 3 with a middlesbrough-eque squad in the Segunda
  • I remember him playing for Bolton a few seasons ago. Not a bad player and in his early 30's I think he'll be a good addition to us in the centre of midfield.
  • IF we're signing Frimpong and Alonso, I guess that means all of our other CM's are definitely off
  • edited June 2011
    Short loan spell on loan a few years ago but didn't get a lot of football.

Went to Tenerife and has been up down and down with them since... they are playing at our level next season after being relegated back-to-back despite starting last season in the bookies' top 3 with a middlesbrough-eque squad in the Segunda
    Looks like he was at Bolton for a full season, I guess he just didn't break into the team.

Would be an interesting signing. If we're going to sign a few players from abroad it's better if they've played and lived over here before.
  • Ummm. Not sure about these rumours tbh. I will wait until it's on the OS. There I've said it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2011
    Yep you're right there Schoham, I thought it was only 6 months but looks like it was a year and Sammy Lee's departure meant no more football for him under Megson
  • Bowyer, Reid, Alonso, Frimpong, Hollands, Jackson.

I'm liking the look of next seasons middle.
  • You have missed out Green and Martin
  • Don't forget Wagstaff and Harriott!
  • edited June 2011
    And Rae, Euell and Rowlands
  • The translation of the Spanish article above.

Mikel Alonso is close to sealing his move to Charlton Athletic, who play in League One, the English third division. The excentrocampista the Real, 31, leaves the discipline of Tenerife, which has dropped from first to second B in two seasons, and testing of new fortunes in British football, which already defended the shirt of Bolton in 2007 / 08. Mikel Alonso in the Charlton match with Miguel Angel Llera Seville, exdefensa Recreativo and Hercules.

Ish
  • Don't suppose you babeled that did you Shooters?

Excentrocampista means he used to play in central midfield for Real Sociedad. 104 games in La Liga is not bad and if Gary Megson does not rate you, there is a good chance that you are a good player.

• If he's anywhere near as creative as his brother then he would be a great asset. Looks like Vetere is starting to have an affect although I'm not sure what to make of the comments at the bottom of that link which translate (poorly via google) as follows:

Then weep when a kid goes to Athletic, but fools are not born

Similar to others who still remain in the club, and they seem to have carte blanche and the blessing of the directives.We know their names either, but as they are in the house ... I think there should be a minimum of quality

And Charlton to Kilimon or Hamaikak Deba bat with all my respect for these two teams. Hamaika Aupa!.

Aupa Mikel, next year we expect you in the beach football championship ...and he charged at the Royal ... 400.000EUR?

Finally, a club made for you!go go, which is at home and do not want.Go for your money

• I wouldn't get too stressed about what fans say about a player once he's leaving a club. Look at some of the comments on here about departing players such as Carl Jenkinson for example.

What does worry me is that he couldn't get in a side that was in the process of being relegated and now his team are shipping him out. Ok La Liga is a higher level than L1, but it does suggest that we are taking a punt on him.

• edited June 2011
    In all fairness Tenerife were a car crash last season. They had a squad that could have put up a reasonable fight at staying in La Liga, indeed they were relegated by 1 point the previous season from la liga and with pretty much the same squad they ended up getting relegated from Segunda. Three members of their starting xi from last year have already signed for La Liga clubs since the season ended and the vultures are circling. Even their fringe players would walk into our side in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• "excentrocampista"

he's super camp?
  • mikel alonso! briliant we have crying out for a midfielder that puts his foot on the ball in mid and controls the game and can stop danger to take the ball off the foot of the other teams player! if this is true will be great signing! :-)
  • Just the age old question, could he do it away to Wycombe on a tuesday night? But hey if you don't take a risk you don't get a reward.
  • 72 on fifa...

... just saying.
  • Just the age old question, could he do it away to Wycombe on a tuesday night? But hey if you don't take a risk you don't get a reward.
    Well, having played for Bolton you would presume he can do it in Bolton on a wet Tuesday, which is the Premiership equivalent of the cliche you just trotted out.
  •  

This is the translation from another site mentions that it has been mentioned on the Radio in Tenerife and names his agent . Another one out of contract .

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, EFE midfielder Mikel Alonso Club Deportivo Tenerife, another of the players that meet the June 30 contract, is about to sign a new professional career, in this case outside of Spain, specifically with the Charlton Athletic who play in the Football League One

This could be the fate of the brother of Spanish international Xabi Alonso, according to Radio Marca Tenerife today on its website after the fall of the whole island at Second B, as negotiations with his agent, Inaki Ibanez, are well advanced and could materialize in the coming hours.

Mikel Alonso and belonged in an earlier stage at Bolton in the Premier League, which would undertake the adventure of football in the British Isles

• Quite a few other hits from Spanish newspapers/agencies rehashing the story from 3-4 days ago. Could be one to look out for at the end of the month, the wording is very definitive "a punto de fichar/firmar"... i.e. literally on the verge of signing, it is not being reported as "interest" or a rumour
  • Quite a few other hits from Spanish newspapers/agencies rehashing the story from 3-4 days ago. Could be one to look out for at the end of the month, the wording is very definitive "a punto de fichar/firmar"... i.e. literally on the verge of signing, it is not being reported as "interest" or a rumour

Looks like his agent is casting around for a better 11th hour deal...

If it doesn't happen he's signing.

Well, having played for Bolton you would presume he can do it in Bolton on a wet Tuesday, which is the Premiership equivalent of the cliche you just trotted out.
    Think it's a totally different ball game and one you can't compare.
  • Ay por dios!

Has Messi got a little brother?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!