Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

******MATCH OFF TOMORROW- OFFICIAL*********

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Whos benifit has this match been called off for............a game called off 27 hours prior to kich off seems studip, or have we done it for the benifit of Cardiff and their lunatic fans, who sing anti English songs all game. Also taking into account our current injury situation the club probably welcomed the cancellation.

Even in the old days they used to have early morning pitch inspections.

And on a brghter note at 5pm tomorrow we can now be twelve points from safety.

Well the club will lose money on lunches, boxes and the other corporate stuff and may well on staff who have been employed for the day so it's not in the club's interest to cancel it. No doubt some food may go past it's sell by date as well but we can sell that in the away end : -)

As for our injuries Suzi says that Hudson is fit and may well have played. Don't know how good her sources are but she seems a nice person so I believe her.

Parky may or may not have welcomed the cancellation (I'd say not as most players/managers want to play) but that is why in these cases it has to be an independent ref who calls the game off NOT the club. Otherwise it would be open to abuse.

It was a similar situation prior to Forest at home. A ref said it was OK so we played.

It's not a conspiracy it's just bad luck.
  • Options
    I know, it's laughable. Was going to post a reply but you have to sign up and I really can't be bothered.

Just hope it does escalate into another negative for the club this season.

Doubt it will.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]

Catering, stewarding, Police advice to name but three. I didnt take you as someone who thought everyting just happens at 3 without any planning, work or most importantly costs.

Judging by what we've seen on the pitch, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

(sorry, had to get it in first :-))
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    Now I will have to stay at home and suffer 3 screaming kids all day, whinging (them, not me) about what to play wi, what to do, what can they have to eat ...etc etc.

Ha ha most people would be grateful to spend some time with their kids.

I feel sorry for the kids having to spend time with Golfie !!!
  • Options
    thanks for the explanations suzi.

and i can vouch that i still walked down the middle of the roads this morning due to the ice on the pavements from lansdowne down through the heights and all outside the station, they still havent gritted the payvments which is unbelieveable really. i avoided floyd road this morning as it was a mess yesterday.

still this all might have changed now in the last few hours.
  • Options
    Love all the Cardiff fans getting their knickers in a twist saying that there's a conspiracy theory going on with the postponement of the game going so far as to say we should be charged as we haven't done enough to get the game on!!! Ady D'Urso looked at the pitch, it has collected water and is likely to freeze overnight. I.e. the pitch isn't playable and the conditions aren't going to improve. Why delay a postponement and have all the Cardiff fans on their way? Do it now. After all he took advice from the FA and that advice was to call it off. They're comparing us to Barnet and Brentford saying their pitches are better than ours, I feel tempted to point out that they're two completely different pitches!!! Yes it does favour us over them with out injuries but as regards any thoughts of conspiracy is utter nonsense, bordering on paranoia. There's two considerations the referee has got A. the safety of the players and B. the safety of the fans. We just need to get on with it and enjoy a defeat-free Saturday for once. I just wonder if my game at Chatham Town v Great Wakering Rovers will be on tomorrow...in the Ryman League one Prem game has gone, 3 in the North Division and 2 in the South Division. I'm not holding out much hope...
  • Options
    i still skidded into work down floyd road this morning. and the valley car park still has toville and dean on it practising their moves. holly willoughby is coming down later too.

*cue stampede*
  • Options
    gives the Board more time to get some more loan players in i suppose!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i still skidded into work down floyd road this morning. and the valley car park still has toville and dean on it practising their moves. holly willoughby is coming down later too.

*cue stampede*

What about Todd Carty?!!
  • Options
    The Bluebirds fans are complaining and coming up wth conspiracy theories? I love that!

Didn't anyone tell them that one of the reasons the game was postponed was out of consideration for them?

They should count themselves lucky. When it's rearranged for a Tues night in April and they can't travel because the've got to work until 5pm, I'm sure they'll be able to find a radio commentary somewhere...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i still skidded into work down floyd road this morning. and the valley car park still has toville and dean on it practising their moves. holly willoughby is coming down later too.

*cue stampede*

What about Todd Carty?!!

he didn't make it down floyd road. flat on his arse.

(I have no idea who is on the programme as I don't watch it - is he any good then?!!)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite][
    Catering, stewarding, Police advice to name but three. I didnt take you as someone who thought everyting just happens at 3 without any planning, work or most importantly costs.

Of course, but we have a game next week so i'm rightly or wrongly presuming food orders could be adjusted for that, if it is called off at 9am tomorrow then stewarding would not be an issue, and at that stage cardiff fans would not have left if they were aware there was an inspection then, so not sure what impact police advice would have between now and tomorrow morning.

That's my point, i've no issues with the pitch not being playing, roads not being safe etc, it just seems unnecessarily hasty.

if revenue is a serious consideration, then you equally have to weigh up the turnout for the rearranged game is likely to be 3-4,000 less, paticularly if our fate is already confirmed by then, which would far outweigh any loss from a 6-hour cancellation as opposed to a 27hr one.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad its off. But i can equally see why Cardiff fans are furious.
  • Options
    It's probably best, though to make an early decision and stick to it. I'd be more furious if I was a Cardiff fan and found out it was postponed tomorrow morning - now they can go out, have a few beers and have a lie in.
  • Options
    another thought.........

we had 2 homes games followed by 2 aways games. If, by some miracle, we won tomorrow we would then have another home game to capitalise on. This way, if we win next week we follow it up wih 2 away games (just like after the Palace game).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]another thought.........

we had 2 homes games followed by 2 aways games. If, by some miracle, we won tomorrow we would then have another home game to capitalise on. This way, if we win next week we follow it up wih 2 away games (just like after the Palace game).

Golfie, for once that is a very fair and valid point.
  • Options
    The-Brothers-Grimm.jpg
  • Options
    anyway, its gone now.

Cardiff fans can join Palace fans in the list urging authorities to take action against our club !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Barnsley v Palace is off too.
    I'd also be surprised if Plymouth v Derby goes ahead with all the snow down that way

No snow in Plymouth.
    None.

We've had a fair bit of rain though and the Argyle pitch might be a bit soggy, but it's on top of a hill and usually drains reasonably well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite][

Of course, but we have a game next week so i'm rightly or wrongly presuming food orders could be adjusted for that, if it is called off at 9am tomorrow then stewarding would not be an issue, and at that stage cardiff fans would not have left if they were aware there was an inspection then, so not sure what impact police advice would have between now and tomorrow morning.

That's my point, i've no issues with the pitch not being playing, roads not being safe etc, it just seems unnecessarily hasty.

if revenue is a serious consideration, then you equally have to weigh up the turnout for the rearranged game is likely to be 3-4,000 less, paticularly if our fate is already confirmed by then, which would far outweigh any loss from a 6-hour cancellation as opposed to a 27hr one.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad its off. But i can equally see why Cardiff fans are furious.

Matchday staff have to be in at 9am for a 3pm kick off on a saturday. Same evening day staff have to be in place at 3pm for a 7.45 k/o.

you can amend menus in preparation regarding freezing/defrosting, but its easy to say "shove it in the freezer till next week" as I'm sure its not that easy. we're talking a mass scale of operations that goes on behind the scenes.

I'd have set off before 9am to go to cardiff in the return fixture and would rather know before that it was off or not. Police would have to be paid for or called off in advance or we'd still be charged for a lot of the match day operation (printing of all sorts of literature) co-ordination, match day hosts, match day staff, ambulance service etc etc and if they found out at 9am then we'd still be liable to pay.
  • Options
    FFS, this thread is unbelievable !!!.......the game is off, who really cares !?!?, we'd only have probably lost anyway and will it make any difference to our season, no.

Spend the afternoon in the pub in the warm watching the TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done for making an early decision imho.
  • Options
    Not that it matters now, but I'm still not entirely clear about who called the game off and the official reasons.

Did Andy d'Urso call the game off ?

Or did the Football League call it off? D'Urso's own statement seems to say that it wasn't him but that the FL called it off after hearing his report. Or is that the normal procedure - it's the FL and not the ref who formally make the final decision?

And was it called off purely because of the condition of the pitch ? In which case surely 'waterlogged' is the only reason that needs to be given...

Or were there other contributory factors, like the travel difficulties faced by Cardiff? Not to mention all the talk about stewards and catering and printing programmes, which only seems to cloud the issue further.

Having read all the comments in this thread, I'm still confused!
  • Options
    Suzi - er no he's not very good, in fact he's absolutely terrible, but that's the entertainment of it.

Watch this, about 1 min 30 in. TV Gold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIMOvAksRg
  • Options
    sorry Suzi........I didn't realise it was that much hassel puting a game on.

next week, just tell the League that we wont bother playing, we'll give Plymouth the 3 points and we wont have to trouble the catering and stewarding staff.
  • Options
    out of interest, if a game is called for weather reasons, is the club covered by any form of insurance ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]out of interest, if a game is called for weather reasons, is the club covered by any form of insurance ?

They didn't have any insurance for the West Ham game that got called off on New Year's day some years ago. I asked the question at the AGM just after the event.
  • Options
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=SE7+8BL
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Weird how the Valley area is still full of ice when areas are close are now just wet
  • Options
    fuking hell some on here should just be glad they dont have to watch us play FFS. We are shit folks a week off might do the players the world of good and get some injuries a bit closer to being repaired.

Chill out have the day off and do something else.

have you not been pissed off all season or is it the fact that you cant moan on here for 72hrs solid after we dont turn up for another fixture at home.

I like a moan and a groan but maybe you should try doing that tomorrow it might atleast cheer you up, wife/girlfriend permitting obviously :-)
  • Options
    Is it off tomorrow then ?