Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

******MATCH OFF TOMORROW- OFFICIAL*********

Comments

• Options
    I'm actually glad it's off to be honest.
  • Options
    Happy with this.

We would've lost in all likelihood, can spend Saturday night without being in a depressed mood!
  • Options
    We live in an age of hysteria and hype. Told not to make journeys when there are a couple of inches of snow etc. Warned of severe hurricanes when there's just a brisk wind. The media love it - it's dramatic, it gives them something to talk about. And we become a nation of frightened wimps, hardly daring to leave the house. Rant over but, seriously, I would put money on there being absolutely no good reason at 3.0 tomorrow afternoon why the game could not have been played.
  • Options
    The issue of the Cardiff fans does not really add up for several reasons, mentioned above.

But there's another reason,too. The rearranged fixture will now be midweek, which means that a lot of Cardiff fans won't be able to make it, anyway. In fact, they could easily end up with fewer travelling fans at the rearranged fixture than they would have had if it had gone ahead tomorrow!
  • Options
    reading the coments on the OS seems like the main reason it has been called off was the fact that he melting snow would freeze overnight (no s**t sherlock) and would be unpayable tomorrow.

Should let tomorrow take care of itself = pitch inspection at around noon and if then no-good call it off then, not now.
  • Options
    Jesus, why is there always such a load of knicker twisting hysterics every time the club does something? and in this case, something the club didn't have control over.

Some of you need to get back on your meds, asap
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]The issue of the Cardiff fans does not really add up for several reasons, mentioned above.

But there's another reason,too. The rearranged fixture will now be midweek, which means that a lot of Cardiff fans won't be able to make it, anyway. In fact, they could easily end up with fewer travelling fans at the rearranged fixture than they would have had if it had gone ahead tomorrow!

too true. And fewer home fans too as we'll be down by then so absolutely no reason to attend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Andy D'Urso[/cite]"The Football League called the game off based on the information given by me, I told them that there is currently a covering of snow on three-quarters of the pitch. Where the snow has thawed, there are puddles of water.

Due to the amount of snow and water, forking those areas would not make the water go away.

The weather forecast in terms of temperatures is minus three degrees throughout the night, with temperatures only rising to one degree on Saturday.

With the temperatures overnight and the amount of water, the pitch was likely to freeze.

can't trust him to ref a match properly let alone judge whether one should go ahead or not.
  • Options
    snowing still in the Hertfordshire area but Watford game is still on.
  • Options
    For heaven's sake, can some people here just get over themselves? Go and spend your Saturdays doing something nice and nourishing instead of fretting about a football club in freefall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]For heaven's sake, can some people here just get over themselves? Go and spend your Saturdays doing something nice and nourishing instead of fretting about a football club in freefall.

Well said my man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Jesus, why is there always such a load of knicker twisting hysterics every time the club does something? and in this case, something the club didn't have control over.

Yep, some on here just can't seem to hold themselves back as soon as the world throws something up they either don't like or don't agree with. As soon as it happens out comes the the faux outrage and the "FFS"s. They must be complete nightmares to be around if they react like that to everything else in life.
  • Options
    Whos benifit has this match been called off for............a game called off 27 hours prior to kich off seems studip, or have we done it for the benifit of Cardiff and their lunatic fans, who sing anti English songs all game. Also taking into account our current injury situation the club probably welcomed the cancellation.

Even in the old days they used to have early morning pitch inspections.

And on a brghter note at 5pm tomorrow we can now be twelve points from safety.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Jesus, why is there always such a load of knicker twisting hysterics every time the club does something? and in this case, something the club didn't have control over.

who is blaming 'the club' ?

If anything, it favours us, as all being well the rearranged game will be when Cardiff have a fixture pile up, and we will be performing better.

But other than programme printing, what reasons can you offer for why it desperately needs to be called off now and not tomorrow morning ? The pitch is covered, the areas around the ground have fully melted, and there is no guarantee as yet that the temperature will drop tonight as much as anticipated.
  • Options
    I think it is disgusting although I wasn't going, haven't been this season and will probably never go again.
    I have phoned the Daily Mail to lodge my complaint and also the BBC. I blame Carol Thatcher for her insensitive remarks and her refusual to appologise to the distressed Adrian Chiles.
    I also blame Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand - whoever he is?
    When I have finished being disgusted here I am going to go and complain somewhere else about something that doesn't affect me. It is my right.
  • Options
    Barnsley v Palace is off too.
    I'd also be surprised if Plymouth v Derby goes ahead with all the snow down that way
  • Options
    For some of us CAFC is all we live for and makes the working week more bearable as we have something to look forward to doing on Sat afternoon.

Now I will have to stay at home and suffer 3 screaming kids all day, whinging (them, not me) about what to play wi, what to do, what can they have to eat ...etc etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I suppose it reflects the times we're living in but some people need to get a life.

The ref doesn't think it's safe for players and fans, and that's an end to it.

The Bluebirds are filled with conspiracy theories and are now trying to get a campaign going to the Football League.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=128261&start=0&rid=0&S=9761b9585ae2c029e585aa4204b37ed3

If you've got one, take your Mrs out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

who is blaming 'the club' ?

If anything, it favours us, as all being well the rearranged game will be when Cardiff have a fixture pile up, and we will be performing better.

But other than programme printing, what reasons can you offer for why it desperately needs to be called off now and not tomorrow morning ? The pitch is covered, the areas around the ground have fully melted, and there is no guarantee as yet that the temperature will drop tonight as much as anticipated.

I dunno Dan, I just take the club and ref on there word that the pitch is waterlogged, will freeze again tonight, and be unplayable tomorrow. Might as well get a early decision, then the ref canning the game at 2 tomorrow, and causing even more grief.

My advice to people would be go out, have a nice day, and worry about something more important.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]For some of us CAFC is all we live for and makes the working week more bearable as we have something to look forward to doing on Sat afternoon.

Now I will have to stay at home and suffer 3 screaming kids all day, whinging (them, not me) about what to play wi, what to do, what can they have to eat ...etc etc.

Gobsmacked
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This can help the likes of Murty/Hudson get fully fit.

And Racon fitter for next weekend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]For some of us CAFC is all we live for and makes the working week more bearable as we have something to look forward to doing on Sat afternoon.

Get a back up hobby
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

Ha ha most people would be grateful to spend some time with their kids.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]From suzisausage on the other (closed) thread :

'it was fine and playable yesterday because the sun was on it, we were due heavy rain on the satellite and the snow would have been shovelled off and the pitch would have been fine. the heavy rain (which never came) also meant that the snow/ice would have melted around the ground, but it was just drizzle and freezing temperature which didn't have the desired effect it was due to. it is due to be -3 tonight (-6ground level) which means the pitch will freeze over night and the weather forecast for saturday was sun, but is liable to change. the bridges over the severn are shut and therefore there is trouble for those travelling to the game so for reasons of safety, and to give ample time to all (to save them travelling, and printing the programme, not to mention the food prepared for the thousands of guests at the game tomorrow) the decision needed to be made.'

So, the heavy rain never arrived. So what if the freezing temperatures don't arrive tonight ? Also, the pavements elsewhere are clear of snow but not around The Valley ? The -6 predicted is no different to the Forest game and that was ok. I'm sorry for the Cardiff fans if they can't get to the game BUT where in Bristol City's decision making was concern for the away fans ? Nada. Not happy at all.

True, but the pitch is also described above by Andy D'urso as having puddles and if they forked it they would not beat the water, the weather or the snow.

the pavements everywhere are not clear of snow, just some, and people don't all come from one way, what about the further streets not taking into consideration coming from north greenwich, the station etc etc, its not just flloyd road and harvey gardens that has to be thought about.

The minus 6 was no different to the forest game, apart from the fact that there was no snow on the pitch that had melted and turned into puddles, therefore no need for the covering to go on the pitch to keep off the frost as the snow keeps a covering and actually protects the pitch in itself.

The Valley was in fact, the only pitch to be playable that weekend out of all of the football league clubs that do not have undersoil heating. It was a collossel effort from all grounds staff which should have had more recognition. This situation is different because of the types of weather (cue wrong type of snow jokes) and the snow coming, then mild rain, then freezing temperatures etc. Remember that it is never actually that cold when it snows and to snow it is usually 2 or 3 degrees at least above freezing. the danger came in the 2 days after when it did get below -2.
  • Options
    Great at least this weekend won't be f00ked up, unless the other relegation candidates win of course.
  • Options
    They really do think we've done this ourselves. Ha ha.
  • Options

Please, please tell me your tongue is placed firmly in your cheek Golfie. The lack of winky/smily things has me worrying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

But other than programme printing, what reasons can you offer for why it desperately needs to be called off now and not tomorrow morning ?

Catering, stewarding, Police advice to name but three. I didnt take you as someone who thought everyting just happens at 3 without any planning, work or most importantly costs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I suppose it reflects the times we're living but some people need to get a life.

The ref doesn't think it's safe for players and fans, and that's an end to it.

The Bluebirds are filled with conspiracy theories and are now trying to get a campaign going to the Football League.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=128261&start=0&rid=0&S=9761b9585ae2c029e585aa4204b37ed3

If you've got one, take your missus out.

think they have some fair points there. I just wonder why we didn't clear the snow off earlier in the week and then put the frost covers down esp as the snow on the pitch is now being given as the reason why it will become waterlogged and freeze.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]For heaven's sake, can some people here just get over themselves? Go and spend your Saturdays doing something nice and nourishing instead of fretting about a football club in freefall.

People are disappointed they dont get to watch their team tomorrow, what's wrong with that? The bigger issue for me (if there is one at all) would be how many people seem to be so ground down by watching charlton that they only seem to go out of obligation.

However crap we are, I'd rather have a charlton match to go to than not. If people would rather go to Ikea or watch the rugby then they could have done that anyway just without feeling justified because the game's been called off. We would have coped in their absence.

Personally, I was looking forward to going for a drink and then onto the valley, and I can't think of a time when I've not been looking forward to an upcoming game.