Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

******MATCH OFF TOMORROW- OFFICIAL*********

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Thank goodness.

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2009
    FACT!
  • Options
    Seems like it was the pitch as well rather than surrounding areas. Andy D'Urso called it off.
  • Options
    wtf - why???????

Last time I looked all the snow had melted - by lunctime tomorrow all he streets will be clear

jimmymelrose will be livid - comes over here esp to see his first match in months !!!!!
  • Options
    What a result !
  • Options
    Im with you golf

Streets were almost ice free this morning
  • Options
    Does Golfie whine about everything? He spouts enough hot air to defrost the pitch.
  • Options
    don't understand this?

reason?
  • Options
    Maybe they took into account the conditions for the Cardiff team and the travelling fans. Didn't someone say earlier that Cardiff airport and the Severn bridge are both closed?
    Seems odd if it's due to the surrounding areas as all the snow has pretty much been washed away now.
  • Options
    Well the forecast for tonight is -3C, which will mean a ground temperature of around -7C. The snow won't have melted until at least today from the pitch (all the fields around dartford were still covered last night), so even if any snow left on the pitch melts today all it will do is form ice.

Also, if the pitch is anything like the local green here, as soon as the snow melted the ground turned into a bog.
  • Options
    i walked on grass yesterday and it was fine that was in Abbey Wood

Poor reasons remember the time a little bad weather did not affect anyone

Know well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FFS...........what a load bollox, had loaads of stuff planned for the old mans 65th tomorrow, now it has fecked it all up.
  • Options
    Watch the 4th day of the test, feet up, lovely.
  • Options
    oh well, atleast get a proper lay in now.

gives Hudson another week to get fit and atleast the squad will actually be able to train next week
  • Options
    the reasons whu a game shd be called of are:

the pitch is dangerous to the players - can't see how a wet/boggy or even a snow covered pitch does this.

the surrounding area/concourses are dangerous for the public - the snos all gone & so will any ice come 1pm tommorrow.

the fact that he travellin fand cant get here is immaterial & should not play a part in he decision making proces.

Last tuesday Southends home game against Scunthorpe was called off at 7.30pm that night !!! - I don't expect to leave it that late but surely a pitch inspection more than 24 hours before the game is ridicolous.

we were forecast snow today - none arrived. So how do they know tommorrow what temp. the pitch will be at kickoff.
  • Options
    the pitch was covered so no actual snow on the pitch. Club said yesterday the pitch was fine. So what has happened since ? Nothing. The anticipated 3 hours of snow never materialised and if anything the situation regarding surrounding areas has improved significantly too. This stinks imo. Cardiff team should have travelled yesterday as they knew there were potential travel concerns. I'm amazed people are happy it's off. When it's scheduled for a Tuesday sometime in April when we are already down the Club will lose out significantly in revenue and we will all moan about having to dash home from work to get there, less drinking time in pub etc etc. I'm personally gutted.
  • Options
    Blame the ref and God, not the club...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Suzi[/cite]it was fine and playable yesterday because the sun was on it, we were due heavy rain on the satellite and the snow would have been shovelled off and the pitch would have been fine. the heavy rain (which never came) also meant that the snow/ice would have melted around the ground, but it was just drizzle and freezing temperature which didn't have the desired effect it was due to. it is due to be -3 tonight (-6ground level) which means the pitch will freeze over night and the weather forecast for saturday was sun, but is liable to change. the bridges over the severn are shut and therefore there is trouble for those travelling to the game so for reasons of safety, and to give ample time to all (to save them travelling, and printing the programme, not to mention the food prepared for the thousands of guests at the game tomorrow) the decision needed to be made.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]wtf - why???????

Last time I looked all the snow had melted - by lunctime tomorrow all he streets will be clear

jimmymelrose will be livid - comes over here esp to see his first match in months !!!!!

Bad luck for Dave.

Disgusted that Andy D'Urso made the decision by just by looking at the pitch and at weather reports, speaking to the ground staff and police etc rather than consulting the experts on here. Shockingly narrow minded approach.

What he should have done is what Southend did on Tuesday. Wait until 20 mins before KO, not let anyone in the ground and then call it off. I'm sure the Cardiff fans would have, like the Scunthorpe fans, would have preferred to make the trip anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]the fact that he travellin fand cant get here is immaterial & should not play a part in he decision making proces.

I think that's a bit harsh. As a keen away traveller yourself what would your thoughts be if we had Cardiff/Swansea away tomorrow, you had your ticket and made arrangements to go, but couldn't actually get into Wales and the game went ahead?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Andy D'Urso[/cite]"The Football League called the game off based on the information given by me, I told them that there is currently a covering of snow on three-quarters of the pitch. Where the snow has thawed, there are puddles of water.

Due to the amount of snow and water, forking those areas would not make the water go away.

The weather forecast in terms of temperatures is minus three degrees throughout the night, with temperatures only rising to one degree on Saturday.

With the temperatures overnight and the amount of water, the pitch was likely to freeze.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suppose I should be glad as I was going to miss the game tomorrow as I'm off skiing and will probably now be able to see the rearranged fixture.

But I'm not that glad. We are the only championship game tomorrow that is off so far, and looking at other fixtures, we could be miles adrift by 5pm - by a dozen points.

Even in the bottom three, Watford play Southampton, so one if not both of them is going to open up a further gap within the drop zone, let alone between us and 21st place.

Then there are lower table clashes between Derby and Plymouth and Donny and Blackpool.

Norwich are at home and will fancy a point against Bristol City. Barnsley, currently in 20th place, entertain Palace and if they wn, will go 13pts clear of us. Is this what it has come to - we need Palarse to win? Oh dear!
  • Options
    From suzisausage on the other (closed) thread :

'it was fine and playable yesterday because the sun was on it, we were due heavy rain on the satellite and the snow would have been shovelled off and the pitch would have been fine. the heavy rain (which never came) also meant that the snow/ice would have melted around the ground, but it was just drizzle and freezing temperature which didn't have the desired effect it was due to. it is due to be -3 tonight (-6ground level) which means the pitch will freeze over night and the weather forecast for saturday was sun, but is liable to change. the bridges over the severn are shut and therefore there is trouble for those travelling to the game so for reasons of safety, and to give ample time to all (to save them travelling, and printing the programme, not to mention the food prepared for the thousands of guests at the game tomorrow) the decision needed to be made.'

So, the heavy rain never arrived. So what if the freezing temperatures don't arrive tonight ? Also, the pavements elsewhere are clear of snow but not around The Valley ? The -6 predicted is no different to the Forest game and that was ok. I'm sorry for the Cardiff fans if they can't get to the game BUT where in Bristol City's decision making was concern for the away fans ? Nada. Not happy at all.
  • Options
    I'm glad its called off personally, but i must be honest, it does seem a bit hasty. A lot can happen weather wise in the next 24 hours, i don't really understand why the decision had to be made now, and not say 9am tomorrow when the effects of the overnight weather could be taken into account.

As for the consideration for the oppo team and fans, well the league insisted Charlton travelled to Bristol at the beginning of the week, so i don't see what the issue is there.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh well. Will be interesting if the likes of Barnet, Brentford, Bromley and Gillingham get there home games on tomorrow?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]the fact that he travellin fand cant get here is immaterial & should not play a part in he decision making proces.

I think that's a bit harsh. As a keen away traveller yourself what would your thoughts be if we had Cardiff/Swansea away tomorrow, you had your ticket and made arrangements to go, but couldn't actually get into Wales and the game went ahead?

like Tuesday at Brizzle City you mean ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] I'm sure the Cardiff fans would have, like the Scunthorpe fans, would have preferred to make the trip anyway.

i've been led to believe that 90% of away fans at the valley live in london.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm glad its called off personally, but i must be honest, it does seem a bit hasty. A lot can happen weather wise in the next 24 hours, i don't really understand why the decision had to be made now, and not say 9am tomorrow when the effects of the overnight weather could be taken into account.

As for the consideration for the oppo team and fans, well the league insisted Charlton travelled to Bristol at the beginning of the week, so i don't see what the issue is there.

spot on AFKA. Why not announce another pitch inspection for 9am ? and get the results of it broadcast promptly. Even if Cardiff fans had left they wouldn't have got very far. Very hasty decision indeed.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Disgusted that Andy D'Urso made the decision by just by looking at the pitch and at weather reports, speaking to the ground staff and police etc rather than consulting the experts on here. Shockingly narrow minded approach.

What he should have done is what Southend did on Tuesday. Wait until 20 mins before KO, not let anyone in the ground and then call it off. I'm sure the Cardiff fans would have, like the Scunthorpe fans, would have preferred to make the trip anyway.
    oooOOOOOHHhhhh!!! ;-)
  • Options
    To "Chris from sidcup"

I was planning on going to Bristol on tues, but due to the anticipated weather conditions decided against it - yes I would have been gutted had i travelled there and they called it off at 7.3pm......thats why I decided not to go. That and the fact the weather forecast said more snow was on the way and the M4 was already a nighmare. The forecasters got it wrong & he snow obliteratd Devon & Wales and seemed to leave Ashton Gate free of snow 'cause the game went ahead. I'm pretty sure there was more snow & ice than there will be at the Valley tommorrow.

How many other london games will be off ?????
  • Options
    To be honest i was not looking 4wd to the game but i was hoping it would be off because i want to work and not be worrying about the footie.

take the weekend to chill out abit folks find something less annoying to do, sit down talk to your family do something taht doesnt involve getting pissed off cos we are poop