Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

زعبيل‎ +++ Charlton - Dubai take-over (from 2008) +++ زعبيل‎

Comments

• sorry 'greenwich' was born there should know how to spell the bugger
  • [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]im a bit unsure about heavy investment from overseas. i know the money is probably crucial for us to survive let alone prosper but do foreigh owners really care about the club or is it just a whim where the club is solely just about image and when the image goes out of fashion they cash in for next seasons best thing. i may sound cynical but as already highlighted, charlton are set in grenwich where the next olympics are going to feature heavily. there may be some very lucrative ventures coming off over the next few years and with the financial crunch being as it is, english/british business are falling over themselves to take foreign money. as it stands charlton are just out of arms reach from the premiership so their value is now depleated and are now available for arguably almost nothing. for an initial pin money outlay a new owner being shrewed can spend a few quid and if they are promoted cash in on their investment. that could possibly leave charlton in an even worse financial position. at least at the moment there is a structure to the financial affairs in keeping with their income. it appears that sometimes large scale investment create a false reality of how a club is performing off the pitch. i like everyone hope the deal comes off and it changes charlton for the better, but i will always hold dear my club as being little old charlton the family club that is supported by fans running through generations. its the children of the fans attending already that are the lifeblood of any club. i went to mansfield town in 77 to see my first game 3-0 win i recall. ive lived in sheffield since the seventies and would never dream of supporting another club whatever their size or success. for me supporting our team has not been about profit and loss or shareholders, its always been about the cold winter nights and wet saturdays and the feeling i still get when i go to a game with my shirt on and wear the colours with pride as my dad did and my grandad did. the heart and soul of charlton has always been about its fans and the players that give their all for the club and its fans. owners come and go but a fan is for life not just for a few seasons in the premier league. i hope the new owners understand that little old charlton dont want to become a fashion accessory. success yes please but at what price?

How can having the club sold eventually while in the prem leave the club in an even worse financial position?...As it is now Charlton is not sustainable.
    And for making a few quid, well..to be honest football as such is just to small fry to be considered a money spinner for these guys.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]And for making a few quid, well..to be honest football as such is just to small fry to be considered a money spinner for these guys.
    True.
  • edited October 2008
    More lazy laughable crap from the Mail,  ' "everyone's expendable" says the Zabeel Chairman' further reading shows just how ridiculous this statement was given that it was taken from an interview with an arab business magazine some time ago and was totally unconnected with Charlton.The lazy twaddle then says the bid was prompted by a liking of our club badge, they were 'smitten' by the sword! They then go on and add with the tremendous authority that floods through the article that 'doubts remain over whether the deal will be finalised' this is of course a nailed on fact because there is a rumour about interest in Everton!It truly beggars belief how these guys cobble this shite together! I guess we can add Raoul Simons the creator of this 'piece' to our list of 'super-in the know' journalists....
  • Whoops, see this has already been done as a thread! But it really is chuffin bad crap tho..
  • Red-herring, Pilchard.

Posts on the other thread are crammed in like sardines.

;o)
  • Nice one Oggy Red! ;o)
  • Sorry, Pilch.

;o)
  • nay problemo oggy ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• not much of a story really, big backpage headline followed by nothing inside, no quotes from anyone etc...
  • Not much to back it up, it's well-known that Kenwright's desperate for new money at Everton and stories like that are useful for him in the same way that the Guardian's West Ham flight of fancy was for the 'Ammers.

Patience.
  • No quotes, no sources, no nothing. Pure fabrication. I wish my job was as simple as just making stuff up.
  • The Middle Eastern businessmen about to buy Everton story has been kicking around for a while now. The BBC broke that story on the day it was announced that Zabeel had made an offer for us. Everton have since denied it. My gut feeling is that Zabeel will buy us, due diligence not throwing up any serious issues. I think that there may well be Middle Eastern money thrown in Everton's direction and possibly this may come from within Dubai but not from Zabeel.

My gut feeling is we'll get a load more stuff tomorrow in the Sundays.
  • Ive been thinking over night.....

If i was a multi billion dollar investment group and I was looking to invest in british or european football, I would do a number of things...

1 get one of my top execs to go and reasearch every single premiership side, asess assets, income, players, support, stadium, debts , all the key points...

2 do the same assesment for all clubs that have dropped out of the prem in the last five years....

3 asses all london clubs...

and it may be that even themselves were surprised that the best bet was charlton...

now if they have done this a dodgy way result at crdif aint gonna make any difference...

im trying ever so hard to convince myself....

the press will push it away from us now that we have had one bad result...... I hate the press man..

I think I may have to stay away from this sight for a while...
  • NOTW reporting that the Maktoum family are now not interested in buying Liverpool ! Not same investment company named or any reference to Everton. Makes me even more happy that the Sun was mischief making yesterday. Still can`t sleep that easy though.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]NOTW reporting that the Maktoum family are now not interested in buying Liverpool ! Not same investment company named or any reference to Everton. Makes me even more happy that the Sun was mischief making yesterday. Still can`t sleep that easy though.

Being that Zabeel is also owned by the Maktoums I don´t think they would be allowed to have more than one club.
  • Hope that report is good news for us then.
  • edited October 2008
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/article48386.ece

LIVERPOOL were hit with a £400million bombshell as billionaire Arab Sheikh Al Maktoum pulled out of a potential takeover deal...

Just a link...
  • Sponsored links:

• How long roughly does it take to buy a club?
  • Depends if you need the shaft adjusted.
  • [cite]Posted By: Gumbo[/cite]How long roughly does it take to buy a club?

I reckon Jordan would give you a receipt the minute you agreed to take on their debts.
  • [cite]Posted By: Gumbo[/cite]How long roughly does it take to buy a club?

Doing it properly with due diligence etc takes at least two weeks but can easily take a month depending on how many that are working on the takeover..then we get the delicate affair of trying to get the shareholders to part with their shares in some cases.
  • Apparently the Programme tonight has a section on the Zabeel deal. I wonder what they can say that hasn't already been said, especially as the due diligence process is still going on?

OS Link
  • They could tell us that a deal has been struck? ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]They could tell us that a deal has been struck? ;-)

I think that they have to announce it to the stock exchange first?
  • It says:

"supporters can also find out all the details on the prospective takeover from Dubai-based Zabeel Investments"

Doesn't suggest that the deal is close to being finalised and presumably if it was there would need to be a Stock Exchange announcement?
  • er no..

:)
  • This appears today in that quality paper the Daily Star

Star quality

A bit of a rehash of previous stories with an unsourced Charlton quote at the bottom. Well I'm convinced....:o)