Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

زعبيل‎ +++ Charlton - Dubai take-over (from 2008) +++ زعبيل‎

Comments

• sounds like they could do with a new career in a new town....
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]will we be Heroes or will we end up feeling Low? at least we are not Lodger(s) anymore...

If the tell comes off we can start buying some good kids from around the world. Young Americans for example.
  • edited October 2008
    Think of all the new fans around the world who watch us on TV in Sound and Vision.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Think of all the new fans around the world who watch us on TV in Sound and Vision.

All those China Girls you mean. Could be a velvet goldmine for the club.
  • If this deal goes through, there will be Dancing in The Streets of South East London and parts of Kent.
  • edited October 2008
    in 1984 we escaped the Chant of the ever circling skeletal family, to prosper onto better Time(s), this Sweet thing has certainly maintained my Fascination, I hope it all ends Right and Richard Murray is able to say "Somebody up there likes me"!!
  • http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-englandcharltonzabeel&prov=reuters&type=lgns

• That looks another very positive statement.

• That looks another very positive statement.
  • If this deal goes through I'm hoping we'll be in for some Golden Years.......and with a bit of luck Luke Varney will become our Starman......
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.cpifinancial.net/v2/print.aspx?pg=news&aid=123
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]If this deal goes through I'm hoping we'll be in for some Golden Years.......and with a bit of luck Luke Varney will become our Starman......

Too good for me Bing, I bow before you.

• Now I'm getting nervous again - all this talk of investment to me means only one thing: the need to make a return on that investment. Are we sure we will be the rich prince's plaything, or are they looking to build us up, then sell it all on at a big profit, or sell off anything of value in the meantime eg the ground for development? Who knows, and probably no point in speculating at this stage, so, sorry, I'll shut up!
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]

Now I'm getting nervous again - all this talk of investment to me means only one thing: the need to make a return on that investment. Are we sure we will be the rich prince's plaything, or are they looking to build us up, then sell it all on at a big profit, or sell off anything of value in the meantime eg the ground for development? Who knows, and probably no point in speculating at this stage, so, sorry, I'll shut up!

or we just wait and see what happens
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]or we just wait and see what happens

which is exactly why I told myself to shut up, R.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]

Now I'm getting nervous again - all this talk of investment to me means only one thing: the need to make a return on that investment. Are we sure we will be the rich prince's plaything, or are they looking to build us up, then sell it all on at a big profit, or sell off anything of value in the meantime eg the ground for development? Who knows, and probably no point in speculating at this stage, so, sorry, I'll shut up!

Thing is we just don't know what they want out of it? I wish I knew.

Maybe it is a financial return but maybe it is prestige or the sheer pleasure of getting a team to the top. Maybe that would make us a plaything as you say but Chelsea have done all right out of Roman.

In the meantime I'm trying to remember the poem

Grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.
  • edited October 2008
    Well I would have thought it's pretty obvious. They are buying a club with massive potential, which has a great community programme, is on the edge of the Thames Gateway, close to the Olympic site, and has it's finances under control, but is currently under-performing on the pitch. This makes the ratio of our price to potential much more attractive than other clubs both above and below us.

If with some prudent investment in the right footballing team both on and off the pitch, we are promoted and then with more investment, they get us into the top ten or even higher, the return on their investment relative to their initial outlay will be much greater than if they decided to buy an existing Prem Team. In addition being associated with the massive worldwide appeal of the Premier League can only be good for prestige.

Thats my view anyway.
  • Dubai is investing in things for the long term, when their oil runs out in 15-20 years, so I think it is safe to assume they are investing in Charlton (for reasons such as those Bing gives) for the long term and I doubt they have any intention to sell the club on for a profit. Although they could well have intentions to sell on the likes of Jonjo at a big profit.
  • In the meantime I'm trying to remember the poem

Grant me the serenity
    and wisdom to know the difference.[/quote]

Sounds like a prayer to me? - Amen to that!
  • I might be wrong but ain´t it possible that Dubai wants an English club of their own for the same reasons that Abu Dhabi bought City..?

Not to make money on the football side of things primarily but as a joint development and PR move that is?
    I have the feeling after reading all the statements in regard to football coming from the Emirates that they simply don´t care about short term costs as their primary focus re the club is to increase brand value.
    I might add that Citys new chairman that pays us a visit now and then once stated that good youth academies was the only way to make english clubs profitable, otherwise they will just bleed money and somehow I think the Maktoums might know this as well.

But once again I must state that few take short term positions in anything in the emirates, it´s a foreign way of thinking to most of them..they want steady growth and if it adds some PR and the opportunity to do some multibillion developments in the area the money spent is a loss leader for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]I might be wrong but ain´t it possible that Dubai wants an English club of their own for the same reasons that Abu Dhabi bought City..?

Not to make money on the football side of things primarily but as a joint development and PR move that is?
    I have the feeling after reading all the statements in regard to football coming from the Emirates that they simply don´t care about short term costs as their primary focus re the club is to increase brand value.
    I might add that Citys new chairman that pays us a visit now and then once stated that good youth academies was the only way to make english clubs profitable, otherwise they will just bleed money and somehow I think the Maktoums might know this as well.

But once again I must state that few take short term positions in anything in the emirates, it´s a foreign way of thinking to most of them..they want steady growth and if it adds some PR and the opportunity to do some multibillion developments in the area the money spent is a loss leader for sure.
    That's a very interesting and reassuring perspective MCFC. I have no doubts that this potential investment by Zabeel would be in the best possible long term interests of CAFC. It will just shake up our world & I cannot wait for it to happen.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Dubai is investing in things for the long term, when their oil runs out in 15-20 years, so I think it is safe to assume they are investing in Charlton (for reasons such as those Bing gives) for the long term and I doubt they have any intention to sell the club on for a profit. Although they could well have intentions to sell on the likes of Jonjo at a big profit.

Can really only happen if he stars for us in the Premier League, so we'd benefit from having a good player first.
  • MCFC, thanks one again for an informative and well put point. It's been a pleasure reading your posts this last week. Your contributions are most welcome.
  • Ditto that Large, very interesting and helpful (unless you're talking bollocks MCFC!!! ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]In the meantime I'm trying to remember the poem

Grant me the serenity
    and wisdom to know the difference.

I heard it somewhat differently:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can
    And the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I kill because they p*ss me off
  • edited October 2008
    I heard it somewhat differently:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can
    And the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I kill because they p*ss me off[/quote]

You must have gone to a rougher school than me : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Ditto that Large, very interesting and helpful (unless you're talking bollocks MCFC!!! ;-)

Me???...I almost was run over by a local royal while trying to cross the street once so I´m connected alright ;)
  • By the way, who are the main shareholders in Charlton and how much stock do they have..?
  • im a bit unsure about heavy investment from overseas. i know the money is probably crucial for us to survive let alone prosper but do foreigh owners really care about the club or is it just a whim where the club is solely just about image and when the image goes out of fashion they cash in for next seasons best thing. i may sound cynical but as already highlighted, charlton are set in grenwich where the next olympics are going to feature heavily. there may be some very lucrative ventures coming off over the next few years and with the financial crunch being as it is, english/british business are falling over themselves to take foreign money. as it stands charlton are just out of arms reach from the premiership so their value is now depleated and are now available for arguably almost nothing. for an initial pin money outlay a new owner being shrewed can spend a few quid and if they are promoted cash in on their investment. that could possibly leave charlton in an even worse financial position. at least at the moment there is a structure to the financial affairs in keeping with their income. it appears that sometimes large scale investment create a false reality of how a club is performing off the pitch. i like everyone hope the deal comes off and it changes charlton for the better, but i will always hold dear my club as being little old charlton the family club that is supported by fans running through generations. its the children of the fans attending already that are the lifeblood of any club. i went to mansfield town in 77 to see my first game 3-0 win i recall. ive lived in sheffield since the seventies and would never dream of supporting another club whatever their size or success. for me supporting our team has not been about profit and loss or shareholders, its always been about the cold winter nights and wet saturdays and the feeling i still get when i go to a game with my shirt on and wear the colours with pride as my dad did and my grandad did. the heart and soul of charlton has always been about its fans and the players that give their all for the club and its fans. owners come and go but a fan is for life not just for a few seasons in the premier league. i hope the new owners understand that little old charlton dont want to become a fashion accessory. success yes please but at what price?