Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0 Yeovil 1 - post match views

Comments

• Options
    I'll take that as a belated happy birthday ;-)
  • Options
    Think you might find its not "us oldies" booing, after all seen alot worse , but you young pups ! (shakes walking stick in Inspectors direction)
  • Options
    having not attended last night i can't comment directly about the match.
    people say that we rested the spine of the team and gave others a chance (not arguing with that decision), but we went out to a league 2 team with their own shortfalls. they couldn't even fill their bench.
    whilst the blooding in of the youngsters is a necessity, i fear given injuries, suspensions, and lack of form, instead of 'blooding in' we could easily become reliant on these youngsters keeping us out of trouble this season.
    looking at last nights starting line up, only 3 scored a 1st team goal last year (varney, fortune and holland).
    last year we scored 63 league goals (1 more than bottom club colchester). from last season we dont have our top scorer or our most creative player. on the pluses, we do have a full season from gray and hopefully contributions from dickson, fleetwood and todorov. hopefully between them we can get 35-40 goals.
    i've said before that youga and moo2 don't fill me (defensively) with much confidence, coupled with our lack of centre halves. but goals from midfield are what is worrying me most.
  • Options
    InspectorSands: "the kids that played last night will learn. Not sure the old bastards in the stands ever will."

But more importantly, will Pardew?
  • Options
    I honestly didn't think the booing was a major issue last night. A few people venting frustrations I've heard worse. I'm not a "booer" I've booed once in my life and that was towards Tahar El Khalej and that was solely to tell Curbs' I never wanted to see him in a Charlton shirt again. Was I right to do so, probably not but I had the right to do it.

However away from the booing and back to last nights game. I walked away from the stadium disappointed that I'd paid my £10 AGAIN to watch a sub standard performance, but by the time I'd got to work I was just ready to laugh about it again. What did I expect, Yeovil at home was always gonna go that way, we've all seen it time and time again, but no doubt I'll go again next year and feel the same again. I'm not fussed about the League Cup, maybe I'm wrong to feel that way but I'd rather now we look at the major positive that its a few extra days rest for the players in what will be a long season with a small squad.

I'm at Watford saturday and that's far more important, if we play that way and lose in that mannor there then I will be upset but last night is water off a ducks back.
  • Options
    He learned (well he said it in the Press conference) that some of the kids aren't quite ready, that some need more work on, and they have a problem with one of the players.

I wish I could be surprised that this thread is now 126 post long, but I can't be, the traffic on this board must shoot through the roof everytime we lose, with the same old "Pardew this, Pardew that, we're rubbish, and I told you so" type posts.

Two games into the season, where we've won the most important one already, about to sign a decent ball winning midfielder, hopefully get the cover in, and about to shift Faye.

But hey, a team missing it's spine lost 1-0 despite dominating, and it's a crisis already
  • Options
    He learned (well he said it in the Press conference) that some of the kids aren't quite ready, that some need more work on, and they have a problem with one of the players.

I wish I could be surprised that this thread is now 126 post long, but I can't be, the traffic on this board must shoot through the roof everytime we lose, with the same old "Pardew this, Pardew that, we're rubbish, and I told you so" type posts.

Two games into the season, where we've won the most important one already, about to sign a decent ball winning midfielder, hopefully get the cover in, and about to shift Faye.

But hey, a team missing it's spine lost 1-0 despite dominating, and it's a crisis already
  • Options

• Options
    I'm not saying it's a crisis, Rothko, and the only reason I didn't post straight after Saturday was that I had to fly back from London at 7am on Sunday morning and go straight to the Mull of Kintyre to deal with a flood at our house there, so I didn't get back online till yesterday, by which time the threads about Sat were sinking.

I agree with everyone who is saying the game last night didn't really matter, and I am more than prepared to laugh off the result.

What bothers me though is when I hear comments from Pards post match when he first of all admits that he maybe got the selection wrong (fair enough) but then publically slates the players and suggests an individual has problems - that is business between him and the squad and not something that should be played out in front of the media and supporters. He did that several times last season too, and for me it is one of the easiest ways to destroy team spirit. These youngsters need encouragement and strong behind the scenes management: his comments are as way off the mark as booing them IMHO.

I've been hoping against hope that it would all go right this season, and of course there is still plenty of time for it to do so. After Sat I thought we showed positive signs of being a 'big team' ie not play particularly well but win it with a couple of clinical goals. Now I feel perturbed that many of last seasons issues are already raising their head again - not so much in last night's performance, but more in how the management are reacting to it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think we've got it Rothko!:-)

..."I wish I could be surprised that this thread is now 126 post long,"....

How many are yours?:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2008
    The site went down for me, so I think that's the problem. If any admin want to clear out them extra post, please do so.
  • Options
    I agree with Weegie, those things should be kept purely in house.

If a certain player has a confidence / nerves problem, reading his manager spouting it out to the Current Bun the next day isn't going to help it !!
  • Options
    For me Pardew still hasn't learned from last year about consistency of selection.

Why bother bringing in Dickson and Fleetwood if you aren't going to give them 90 minutes against Yeovil.

We still short of bodies *and* mainly the qualities required in every department.

"we do have a full season from gray and hopefully contributions from dickson, fleetwood and todorov. hopefully between them we can get 35-40 goals"

No chance. We don't have the player to supply the quality (unless Bouazza can do it).

I thought it would make sense to rest SIXTEEN year old Shelvey???

I'm glad we lost in one repsect as he'll be burnt out by December at this rate if Pardew insists on playing him in a nothing game like Yeovil.
  • Options
    Rothko, you are either the ex-Iraqi Minister of Information or just plain nuts!

Great reading though, so fantastically blinkered that it's good entertainment.

Keep taking the tablets!
  • Options
    Keep the insults up, I might be slightly bothered by them one day
  • Options
    For me Pardew still hasn't learned from last year about consistency of selection.

Why bother bringing in Dickson and Fleetwood if you aren't going to give them 90 minutes against Yeovil.

These statements are a bit contradictory - we want consistency of selection, yet we want to give some of the non-core players/those like Holland who are returning from injury a run-out in a junior competition, and of course we want to give Bouazza who barely knows his team-mates names, let alone their games a chance to gret match fit. I wonder how much he played for Fulham in their pre-season?

Pards is going to be judged on how well we do in the league not the league cup, even if we were to win the latter if we fade out of contention in the league he'll be out of a job and our sojorn in the Championship might start to take on an air of permanency. So I'm happyish with the XI he put out last night, although I'd have played Bouazza on the wing and Dickson with Varney from the start. As for starting Shelvey and resting Racon, I'm guessing that is because he wants the latter to start vs Watford and will rest Shelvey for that match, although we'll have to wait and see what his thinking is on that, while Hudson who was "doubtful" for Swansea was presumably rested to give his injury a chance to clear up. If we'd taken one or two of the decent chances we allegedly had then we'd have won, we didn't and let's move-on, Saturday and the league is of far more importance.
  • Options
    Weegie: "What bothers me though is when I hear comments from Pards post match when he first of all admits that he maybe got the selection wrong (fair enough) but then publically slates the players and suggests an individual has problems."

But if he defends the players, he'd be slated for it.
  • Options
    By consistency of selection, I meant not playing players out of position.

We have 2 strikers on the bench that are chomping at the bit and yet we play a guy out of position along side Varney.

I have no problem with trying any young player in a League Cup game vs Yeovil game

I'd rather see Fleetwood gain experience there.

Shelvey has had a full 1st team pre-season and played against Swansea. You'd think he would be the player, if any, to rest.

He's 16 years old.

If he wants 20+ games out of JJ it seems logical??
  • Options
    Inspector Sands: "But if he defends the players, he'd be slated for it."

I'm not sure I understand your point, Inspector?

I wouldn't slate him if he'd said it was a young team and they tried, but it didn't go for them, and that he's learnt a few things that he'll work on with them, or something to that effect. It's the way he first of all took responsibility for the team selection, but then still seemed to have to find a scapegoat.
  • Options
    Henry dont be sorry everyone as opinoins. I just dont know what constitutes having a good game. I cant remember many passes not reaching the required target. If the ball gets lost after that he cant be to blame. Every corner he took had them under pressure but surely he cant be expeted to run in and head it too. He also it the post with a free kick. He passed the ball to the forwards whenever they made themselves available and sideways when they never. When he never had the ball he was always calling for it but not always getting it. I thought he was very quiet saturday and i know why. But credit where its due i thought he played very well. To get the sponsors MoM when your on the losing team is not always that easy. Just my thoughts i know but like i said we are all entitled to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wasn't at the game so have no real comment on the performance. Maybe we deserved to lose maybe not.

What I do think is wrong is the apathy that is being shown to the competition by quite a few on here to the point where it seems acceptable that we went out.

I accept that the league is our bread and butter but at a time when we are struggling for a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, surely progressing to the stage where a decent draw would bring in a few quid to the club should have been a priority.

If only for financial reasons, I don't think that it is acceptable to lose to a side 2 divisions below us. I trust Mr Murry is making Pards fully aware of that.
  • Options
    "If only for financial reasons, I don't think that it is acceptable to lose to a side 2 divisions below us."

Agree totally.

I can see the reasons for prioritising the league over either cup but it's still not acceptable to go out the way we did.
  • Options
    It's still not good but Yeovil are in League 1 not League 2.

The result was disappointing but i feel we won the game that we badly needed to win.
  • Options
    Up till Yeovil scoring I thought we looked all right. Had all the chances and all the play. Once we conceded the confidence seemed to go and we had a lack of ideas in breaking them down.

Plus Points were Youga, Shelvey

Negative Points were Wagstaff (big fan of his in the youth cup run but looks out of his depth at this level at this time) and Bouazza.

We have seen us go out countless times now in the League Cup to lower league opposition so no issue there, but we need a good performance Saturday (not necessarily the points) to ensure tonight does not become an issue. After all the worst performance in 97/98 was against Ipswich at this stage of the season in the league cup and that season turned out all right.
  • Options
    We are fans, we pay our dosh we have the right to boo, end of debate to be fair.

Regardless of how effective it is the fans have the right to let the playes know how they feel after 90 minutes.
  • Options
    Ofcourse fans have the right to boo, but it is counter productive and to do it at half time is daft if they expect the players to come out second half motivated. I don't boo, but if I were then the only time I would boo at half time would be when the players were lazy and could not be bothered, that was not the case last night.
  • Options
    My problem is that people will boo everytime we lose or are behind at half time, no matter the performance, if we're 2-1 down at half time in a close tight game is that worth a boo? losing 3-2 in the last minute in a ding dong game worth a boo?

I'll save my abuse for the truly shit performances like Liverpool in the relegation season.
  • Options
    144 posts before this. Sure sign that we lost a game.
  • Options
  • Options
    or wycome in the cup that nite was worth anyone venting their spleen

and i know it has been said on here that it was not loud but how come teletext and radio havent stopped mentioning it