Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0 Yeovil 1 - post match views

Comments

• Options
    didn't see the game; was watching SUPERKENT at Canterbury.
    Not sure what the biggest farce was, us at the Valley or the wind blowing at 28mph so the floodlights couldn't be used.
    And how is Richard Illingworth an umpire ?
  • Options
    It doesn't help, does it?

I can't recall a game ever where booing was the inspiration. It didn't help last night,either.

It just breeds negativity and despair.
    That's the disease.
  • Options
    Yes it's worrying we lost but with our threadbare squad it's probably a bonus that we're out as less chance of injuries and suspensions now.
    And for those who've said we need the money from a cup run, with the poor attendances that the league cup attracts, i don't see many teams making much money from the cup unless they get Man Utd or Arsenal away.
    Even when we were in the top flight and doing well, we were still total sh*t in the cups. So what's new.
  • Options
    despair?......There's bigger things in life than to get despaired about football for Pete's sake..
  • Options
    And i saw a commetn earlier that we havent got out in the first round for 11 years.

Maybe thats because we played in the Premiership and never played in the first rounf for the majority of those 11 years...

I'm really not bothered - i checked the score at half time and full time then watched Secret Millionaire.

Don't consider myself a plastic, and although i'm disappointed can't say its going to ruin my season. 3 points at Vicarage Road will mkae this seem like a distant memory.

Come on you reds.
  • Options
    Ill boo if i want. The fact that i dont , dosnt mean i cant. Untill its banned or taxed, i may choose to boo or not.

Its not a "new thing" as such i remember going with my Dad to games donkeys years back and the guy next to us slagging off the team every game for the whole 90 mins. I often thought "why does he come to the games". In my 4 decades of watching this outfit we have always had those types of people who seem to only be there to slag the team. Never understood it and never will.

"last night dosnt matter" ooooooooooo yes it does. It matters to the people who made the effort to go (i wasnt one) It matters because we lost to a lower league team -- AGAIN. It matters because one of our two c/backs got injured.

If it dosnt matter then make it free to get in or £1 on the door.

At least we didnt have to listen to Curbs telling us "this really matters, and why shouldnt it be us" before puting out a reserve team.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Goonerhater - you're a Charlton fan, an early cup exit can't have come as a shock to you. As WSS said, although it's disappointing it's hardly going to ruin our season is it. Look at Man Utd, out at their first hurdle to Southend 2 years ago, out at home to Coventry last year, didn't affect them did it?
    Our priority is the league and with a small squad, we can do with as few games as possible. Yes a win would've given us confidence but it's not to be.
    We learnt some things from last night. Wagstaff isn't good enough. Shelvey is. Moo2 needs a kick up the arse at right back. Varney needs a goal. Chin up mate, we're about to sign the battling midfielder we need, hopefully a centre back will come in on loan and if we get something at Watford, this will all be forgotten about.
  • Options
    GH

why dont you boo though, is it because you dont think it will help, or because you know that supporting is about what the word says to support.

yes all of you can boo you can boo and boo all the time if that is what you feel like doing however, we have all sat next to people that do it and all must think why do you go.

It is something that has got alot worse especially at our club since the last 2 years under Curbs where finishing in the prem was not good enough for some.

Now we are in the Chumpionship and that is not good for the same people if we were to get promoted would the same boo boys boo again because we never finshed top 10 in the prem, yes proberly, if that is the case why support a team that will never finsh where that person wants.

last night may have mattered to those that went last night but it certainly didnt matter to the outcome of our season, we was never going to win the cup it just put players at risk of injury which is what happened Pards should have played the yoof team like Wenger does but he never because he would have been pillored for doing so,

as to how much we should charge i would have thought that last night proberly cost the club more than it made.

i am over the moon that we are out and will be even happier when teams like Reading and Birminham have to play 3 times in 7 days when we only have to play 2 or even better if we have to play any of them should they get near the semis
  • Options
    Fine, boo and slag away. I think a few have really missed the point here...

What was you expecting all ye advocats of 'I've paid my money, I'll do what I want?'

I understand you might not think too much of the squad/manager but what is it trying to be achieved or expected from the honking and booing and general misery?

I've seen a lot worse from a Charlton XI and for a 5ft 8 centre forward playing up top on his own to not look too convincing was harldy suprising.
  • Options
    Its worth noting that the majority of those focusing on the booing were not there last night, and as a result it has been taken widely out of the context. It wasn't in anyway as widespread as it is made to be.

And one of those defending the 'right to boo' doesn't really go anymore, so take it with a pinch of salt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went last night and was VERY disappointed. You can't tell me that Yoevil had better players than us as they didn't.

I am slowly begining to think it is the tactics empolyed by Pardew rather than the players. Sure we had some players playing out of postion but they should still be capable of beating teams of the quality of Yoevil.

Our wingplay was woeful with Sam heading for the left wing every time he got the ball and Varney running around up front with no support.

Come on Pardew sort them out or hand the job the Parkinson !!
  • Options
    Surely booing can only be counter-productive. How exactly do the perpetrators expect it to help the team and positively influence the outcome? Should it be used as an outlet, giving vent to feelings of disappointment / anger? Christ! If I booed every time Charlton players had disappointed me I'd have a pout like Angeline Jolie. For anger, I can at times understand it. When someone shows the appetite of Ralph Milne (or Marcus Bent!) perhaps they deserve it, but for someone working hard for whom it just isn't quite happening? How on Earth can it possibly help or be deserved? Definitely something that's crept in with every mild disappointment, possibly influenced by the reactions of glory-hunting fans coming down with a bump at the likes of Arse & Liverpool.

At least Shelvey took the chance last night to throw off Saturday's dissapointment with a very positive display. Guess Pards thought it a good opportunity for Varney too to gain confidence with a goal or two. Worryingly it wasn't to be. Pards aslo mentioned one player looking particularly anxious. I thought there were two or three in that bracket. I know - let's boo them!
  • Options
    Should have won the game in the first 25 minutes, we had enough chances, and that should have been that, but we didn't and we struggled to get steady after there goal.

Second half they banked up and we couldn't quite break it down.

As for the booing, was pretty load in the East stand, seems that the fans don't want to be the 12th man anymore.

Anyway, it's actually snowing in Victoria, so the world has gone officially mad.
  • Options
    Can anyone who went think who Pards is talking about in this post-match comment?

"One of our players looked very nervous tonight. I won't say who it was but his actions were out of character. That's a sign of nerves and is something we'll look into and improve on next time."
  • Options
    Should have won the game in the first 25 minutes, we had enough chances, and that should have been that, but we didn't and we struggled to get steady after there goal.

Second half they banked up and we couldn't quite break it down.

As for the booing, was pretty load in the East stand, seems that the fans don't want to be the 12th man anymore.

Anyway, it's actually snowing in Victoria, so the world has gone officially mad.
  • Options
    Stop repeating yourself...
  • Options
    at the final whistle it was more of a groan than a boo anyway.

i was disappointed that the crowd apart from the 'palace song' and a 2 faint renditions of valley floyd road put more effort into groaning at the end than they did for 85 minutes. the last 5 mins when we were pushing for a goal was great! that was encouragement. the team were desperate for it, the fans were (those that were happy to spend another half hour there!) and I reckon with a few extra minutes on the clock the crowd could have pushed on and got the players spirits up and got the goal. Last season we scored last minute goals from being on the brink of a loss for ages. no coincidence is it?
  • Options
    Don't wish to make it worse for anyone, but possibly Wagstaff (understandable), Varney (worrying), or Moo2 (or perhaps his erratic passing was just the norm for him).
  • Options
    Instead of focussing so much on the 100 or so who booed, isn't it more disappointing that there was no active encouragmenet from the rest of the crowd? By the sound of it (and I wasn't there), there was very little positive support from the silent majority - that's a much bigger issue in creating an atmosphere of encouragment than a few eejits chosing to boo.

We were headlines on Radio 5 football news this morning: 'Charlton were even booed off after their 1-0 defeat to Yeovil.'

And as for Mr Pardew's tactics... it was blatantly obvious to me on Saturday that our lack of creativity from open play is not down to the midfield players not being good enough but more due to the complete lack of movement, which means we are not opening up any spaces. Sounds like we had the same issue last night, and that surely comes down to coaching and management?
  • Options
    Vincenzo and AFKA's comments are fair. I've got nowt to add. I do think it's funny that we're laying into players for lack of commitment when we managed a 6k crowd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every year I say that I am not going and then end up walking down Floyd Road with a tenner in my hand - NEXT YEAR I AM DEFINITELY NOT GOING. Me and my fat mate (Dave Mehmett) have agreed to take the 40 quid we ended up spending to the curry house, I am looking forward to it already............
  • Options
    great point. there is more noise coming from this forum than there was last night from that sad crowd.
  • Options
    Unbelievable ...

I actually enjoyed watching the football as oppossed to singing/ shouting/ booing.

However I was particularly vocal when Bouazaa was through and thumped the ball at the keeper, when VARNEY didnt play Bouazza through after his run and when Elliott went up at the end.

I go to football because I enjoy it and if I want to shout out "Players name, that was shit" I will.

Times have changed and these players are on a lot of money to be average. The biggest one is Pards who is on a lot of money and does at times appear to not know what day it is. Pards signs Fleetwood and Dickson. Gives them an opportunity a good wage, then plays Bouazza up front. Sends out all the right signals. On Saturday he said JJ had been caught in the headlights somewhat!!!!! Good man management. Excentuate the positives, and don't and I mean don't ever slag one of your team off. However which way you want to spin it.

Last night he says "One of our players looked very nervous tonight. I won't say who it was but his actions were out of character. That's a sign of nerves and is something we'll look into and improve on next time. I wonder who that was ???? If you were there you will know. The question is the player in question is not good enough for Championship football. That is if we are to comete. I know that, you know that, but why does Pards on a large wage not know that ?
  • Options
    Not going to get into the booing issues, other than the few, and it wasnt many who booed at half time, were a little premature. Very poor second period, no shape, no ideas and I couldnt understand why he took off JT, who I thought looked ok. Youga...not a CB. Moo2....whats happened to this lad...his confidence seems shattered and he couldnt pass to save his life last night. Waggy, poor lad needs a loan spell.....playing him last night was a big mistake, Pardew needs to do the right thing by him and loan hi out for experience otherwise we will ruin a good prospect for the future. Boazza....is he any better than what we already had? (Not on this showing he isnt). Varney...huffs and puffs, but he couldnt blow a hole in a paper bag at the moment...and dont get me wrong I like the lad....on the wing!
    Man of the match for me was Semedo...real pro, and his long range passing was a joy to watch....shame that whoever got on the end of them couldnt do anything simple, like tip it into the box. Shades of what we saw last year by the bucket load Im afraid. Pardews Team selection and tactics were once again questionable to say the least. The "I should have played Hudson" Excuse doesnt hold water Mr P.....if thats the case then your responsability was to pick him, and you failed.
  • Options
    why are we so f**king shit in cups we put no effort in and we make our embarassing bow far to quickly. Focusing on the league is no excuse we have to have a competative go at every competition we are entered in.
  • Options
    I thought AFKA original summary was close to what I felt.

Given that we have ALWAYS been poor in this cup (even under Dowie we were lucky to get thru) even when we were in the Prem and finishing top half and that the whole spine of Saturday's team (Weaver, Hudon, Racon, Gray) was rested and with good reason I wasn't surprised.

That doesn't make last night's performance in anyway acceptable. We had enough chances to win it but then just ran out of ideas once they scored and sat back.

it is noticable that a DEFEAT in a minor competition generates far more posts than a VICTORY in our main competition. As AFKA said there is an element of our support that enjoys our reverses and wallows in the moaning that they allow them.

And sorry Uncle I don't think Jon Jo played very well. He had more time on the ball than Saturday and there was little movement for him but he made little impression. Someone said I was attention seeking when I suggested a team without Shelvey last week but I wasn't. We are asking too much, too young of him. Bailey and Racon with Shelvey coming on later in the game is the way forward IMHO

Varney was poor and Wagstaff needs to go and get 30 games inder his belt at a Division 3 club. He is a better talent than he showed last night.

I thought Bouazza looked lively up front, better than he did on the wing. Basey is solid and worthy of a place in the side. He may not be the fastest but he's not slow and he drives forward

Semedo did well when he came on. Unspectacular but solid as on Saturday. The opposite of Moo2.
    Youga is not a CH but he can fill in and he brings some energy and aggression to the side

I hope the talk of another 1 or 2 CHs coming in come true as we need the cover at least.

I stopped going to these games a few years back because there were so depressing even when we won. I was lured back but that's enough.

Highlight of the night. Watching the Yeovil Flag man take 20 mins to put they flag out

Lowpoint of the night (other than the game) Giving AFKA £20 for Alex Wright's shirt sponsorship when I bumped into the bossman in the ticket queue. I was expecting Mr Wright to join me later in the East Stand but he had a sick cat and missed the game!!! Maybe the cat was vomiting all over the flat because it has a premonition of this thread.

Off to France on hols tomorrow so live, love, laugh and be happy you bunch of miserable bastards : - )
  • Options
    "Every year I say that I am not going and then end up walking down Floyd Road with a tenner in my hand - NEXT YEAR I AM DEFINITELY NOT GOING. Me and my fat mate (Dave Mehmett) have agreed to take the 40 quid we ended up spending to the curry house, I am looking forward to it already............"

How was the head this morning mate? It was only when I got home that I realised that I was quite drunk!
  • Options
    The booing was certainly noted on Five Live last night; even my boss, who is no fan of football, asked me if I was booing last night...

In my opinion the booing is done by the same bitter, old, disaffected group of people who feel their own lives are being f*cked over and end up taking out their disaffection with their lives in a football stadium (cos they can't smoke any more, beer costs £3.15, can't park anywhere, call someone a "coloured" anymore, takes 4 hours to drive home to Shitville-on-Sheppey, "the wife" doesn't fancy you any more, pecker doesn't rise like it did, oh, and football's rubbish and in RIP-OFF BRITAIN I paid TEN WHOLE POUNDS for it, BOOOOOO!). Same kind of people that make reading this board first thing in the morning like waking up to find Jon Gaunt in your bed.

After all, when you've lost touch with the happiness in life, what else is there to boo? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Feck it, we're out of the cup, but the kids that played last night will learn. Not sure the old bastards in the stands ever will.
  • Options
    Nute11a - "why are we so f**king shit in cups we put no effort in and we make our embarassing bow far to quickly. Focusing on the league is no excuse we have to have a competative go at every competition we are entered in."

Because, when all is said and done, in the modern game, the league is £50million times more important than the cup will ever be.
  • Options
    Mid life crisis Inspector? :-)