Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0 Yeovil 1 - post match views

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Those at the game please add your feedback here.

Comments

• Options
    No disguising it, very disappointing.

Despite being 1 down, felt entirely comfortable at HT. We had played some good stuff and should of been a couple up if it wasn't for good saves, and disappointing finishing from Boauzza and in particular Varney, who troubled the corner flag more than the goal.

Their goal, their first real chance, threw us a little. But i was confident we would still win pretty comfortably 2nd half.

That never happened though, we seemed to lose all shape. We had a real patched up defence, but it was attacking options that really let us down. We did not register one single worthwhile attempt from open play in the 2nd half, and against an injury effected side two leagues below us, at home, that's not good enough.

Wagstaff, sadly, is clearly not ready for this level yet. Maybe one day, but it won't be this season. Varney is everyone's great hope, and popular as anything, but he really doesn't look comfortable in front of goal, and goals are going to be so important to us. Boauzza did ok up with him.

MoM is a hard call, but probably Youga or Holland for me.
  • Options
    Holland worked his arse off. Varney looks ridiculously panicky, and Basey needs to be told to calm the f*ck down as well.

Still, Rob Elliot running upfield for the corners at the end was a highlight.
  • Options
    More poo. 11 players but no team, much like last season.

Elliot - 6 Nothing to do except pick the ball out of the net
    Moo2 - 4 Made some good runs but gave the ball away sooo often
    Fortune - 6 Was fine before picking up a worrying knock. Cannot afford for him to be injured
    Youga - 7 Solid defending, still poor passing, but looked a senior player compared to others
    Basey - 6 Did OK
    Wagstaff - 2 Is not a first team player. Out of his depth. Blamed others for his mistakes and rarely got involved
    Holland 6 - Worked hard but to little effect. Had three runners in an attack and chose to turn and pass backwards. 1 good shot.
    Shelvey - 7 Showed his range of excellent passing. Always demanding the ball. Always trying. Impressive.
    Thomas 6 - Same old same old. Flatters to deceive whether Prem or League 1 opposition. Did get a couple of crosses in tho.
    Varney 3 - Missed two good chances. Should have set up Bouazza. Worked hard yes, but played very very poorly.
    Bouazza 5 - Why start him up from with Dicko and Fleetwood on the bench? Did OK there, then struggled when wide.

Sam - 6 Much more lively than Waggy. Even got in a cross or two. But isn't positive enough. To much fannying around in midfield.
    Semedo - 7 Was clearly a first XI player. Solid.
    Dickson - 6 Little chance to shine. Should have started.

Movement off the ball: Non-existent.

If this is what we have in reserve we are in trouble. Yeovil passed better than we did. As did Swansea.
  • Options
    I wasn't there, unfortunately - but spotted this on the OS live text:

90 minutes: Elliot is up again and this time gets a touch on Basey's flag-kick and Wagenaar flips the ball against the bar and over

Anyone comment on how our keeper nearly scored on his full debut ..... ?
  • Options
    Worth noting the crowd was 6,200. Just under 2,000 down on the Stockport game last season.
  • Options
    Fair play to the 30 Yeovil teens who looked like they had had a weeks worth of coca-cola on the coach on the way up, but stood and sang for the whole 90 and celebrated like they had just discovered the underwear section in their mum's Freemans catalogue for the first time :-)
  • Options
    I don't know why we bother entering.
  • Options
    * AFKABartram
    * CommentTime2 minutes ago

Fair play to the 30 Yeovil teens who looked like they had had a weeks worth of coca-cola on the coach on the way up, but stood and sang for the whole 90 and celebrated like they had just discovered the underwear section in their mum's Freemans catalogue for the first time :-)

LOL.

Speaking from experience there, AFKA ?

:o)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We put out a team of strangers and they played like a team of strangers.
    Like Bart, at half time I still thought we'd go on and win it....but we simply huffed and puffed...their keeper played very well too and made some good saves in the first half (one from Holland was top drawer) and did all that was asked of him in the second as well, mostly in comanding his area......... I'd probably give him MOTM.
    We had the better players...they had the better team, and that's basicly how it panned out.
  • Options
    Is Pardew playing the youngsters to proove a point to the board?

Why so many changes from saturday's team, when at this stage of the season getting match fitness & gelling the first eleven together would seem to be sensible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't/didn't go. Not much point as we never play our strongest side these days. From what I can glean from others, the play got more disjointed, the longer the game went on. I suppose that is to be expected as the pressure is all on us to try and force a way back. Varney is a worry. He may just be going through a lean period where his trying too hard and he'll get things right once he's got on the score sheet again. The problem is we haven't seen him yet in any kind of rich scoring vein since he joined us. I just hope he does find his shooting boots sometime soon.
  • Options
    I thought in the 1st half their keeper showed a few fumbles and a bot of panic, but we never really pressured him at corners and free kicks, Atill i was expecting us to concentrate on promotion.

Most dissapointing thing for me waqs the half time booing. 2nd game of the season, one of the least important game of the seasons and a few people feel its worth slagging off the team at half time.
  • Options
    The OS match report said this:

Wagenaar, scarcely tested in the second period, got behind a curling free-kick from Basey on 77 minutes but the clock continued to work in Yeovil's favour.

I can't understand why in the 2nd half, we seemed unable to put Yeovil under pressure until the last minute ....
    - why were we not playing the game in their half of the pitch?
  • Options
    i had a ticket for north lower but thankfully it pi$$ed down hard in essex when i was about to leave and i couldn't be assed to get soaked and watch a patched up 11 .....
    6239 at the valley
    3525 at the new den/senegal fields
    3094 at sellout park
  • Options
    Varney... IS he a good finisher? I seemed to have always assumed that given the right service he could be a goalscorer but am starting to question that.
  • Options
    pards laid into the players afterwards ....allegedly!!
  • Options
    Apart from Hudson and Gray thats our first team bloody frightening,Jonjo was the only one who wanted the bloody ball.Christ Mootoo has gone from being a great prospect to one of the worst defenders i have ever seen.The goal was down to him or waggy not picking up warne,they seemed to have a good barmy about it between them.
  • Options
    ooh ahh that was no patched up team thats near enough our first team mate.
  • Options
    Really dissapointing, started brightly but dissapeared after the goal went in. When you looked at the team (esp after Fortune went off) it was basically a youth team thou, Elliott, MooToo, Semedo, Youga & Basey in defence, Shelvey, Wagstaff & Sam midfield..there was not a lot of experience and with it not much leadership which is where we really missed people like Hudson & Gray.

The biggest dissapointment for me though was that even with the above, Yeovil were woeful in defence and whilst he made 3 good saves their keeper was terrible at crosses, came for every corner & flapped at 75% of them. We should have scored a hatful tonight and the fact Varney really did not look threatening against that team is a major concern.

Still, we never have done well in that cup so now we can concentrate on winning the league instead!
  • Options
    i was pretending to look on the bright side NSS ;-)
    we're still second!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't go but to be honest you can't put that team out and be serious about the competition, its just the usual spin bullshit or perhaps pards actually believes the stuff he comes out with.

too many changes
    why not start one our striker pards, but no play a winger up front instead whos just arrived?
    its been obvious for ages wagstaff isn't ready
    JJ looked peeped on Saturday so why did he play?

has nothing changed?
  • Options
    pardew knew that if he had a good run in this cup it wouldn't count for anything cos the bloke who took us the furthest we'd ever been in this competition got the sack;-)
  • Options
    dont worry oohaah we will be 5th in a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Always disappointing to lose but since I half expected it I feel surprisingly philosophical.

We dominated the first half and the goal was Yeovil's only real chance and in my opinion was largely down to lack of familiarity. Everyone seemed to leave it to everyone else.

I felt sorry for Waggy. He made some good runs off the ball but Bouazza, and to a lesser extent Varney, was also running in the same areas and he got crowded and frozen out. Hence it looked like he was out of his depth. In a way I wish Pards had left him on for the second half but my guess is he took the rap for the goal.

Although we didn't score I always felt we could from corners and free kicks and I haven't felt that for a long time.

Moo2 looked suspect defensively but good going forward. I felt he offered more than sam tonight. Basey looks like he has worked on his running over the close season. Last season he looked conspicuously slow. I wouldn't say that about him tonight. Thomas for me actually worked really hard tonight and helped Basey out a lot defensively in the second half.

Man of the Match for me though was Youga.
  • Options
    first time in 10 years we've gone out in the first round...
    seriously tho , it is all about the league but a bit of pocket money from a cup run would have been welcome i'm sure
  • Options
    I didn't go so, unlike others on here, I couldn't possibly offer an opinion - other than to say that I blame Henry Irving totally.
  • Options
    Everybody else, Offy, blames Andrew Mills .......
  • Options
    Not a youth team though

Elliott - OK is youth but thought played well
    MooToo - Is basically 1st team
    Semedo - Is 1st team
    Youga - Is 1st team
    Basey - Is on verge of 1st team
    Shelvey - Is not the messiah
    Wagstaff - Is a long way off 1st team
    Sam - Is 1st team but hopefully for not too long
  • Options
    Same old story form last season.

Saw it against Bilbao, saw it against Swansea and again tonight. We have no idea on how to create anything. Hit and hope seems to be our only way.

Also Luke Varney, plenty of endeavour, but no end product.

Didn't think we deserved to lose tonight though. Yeovil did score with their only shot on target and their keeper made a few saves in the first half.
  • Options
    Luke Varney just reminds me of Garry Nelson plenty of endeavour but well thats it.