Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• cafcbrown said:

Carter said:

Scum, and I mean real Chatham scum.

I've been working in the centre of my home town today and it is fucking abominable the sub-class that dominates the town centre.

I watched some arsehole with a staffy not on a lead, stop walking and shrieking into his mobile phone long enough to let the dog defecate right where I was working. Long story short I couldn't give a shit if I was in a uniform or that it was obvious who I worked for at that point I wasn't having a massive steaming dog turd laid and left next to my work site so I shouted at the dirty bastard to pick his dogs shit up. This led to an exchange where he said he wasn't going to. So I politely told him if he didn't I would rub his face in it. A very nice, yet weary, lady came out of the bakers nearby and gave him a paper bag to deal with this foul deposit which eventually he did. His closing comment to me was 'get yourself a proper job ya prick'

The irony of this wasn't lost on me and having recently watched a jimmy Carr show, told him pretty loudly that I didn't come into his place of work and knock the sailors cock's out of his mouth so could he please refrain from talking to me about my job. Saucy bastard!

I would love to claim that retort as my own but I'm not that creative

That was about 10am. Since then I've just witnessed a procession of the worst humanity has to offer. Chatham now has a massive immigrant population for whatever reason and whilst their scummier elements might feel at home I feel impossibly sorry for some poor family from the Czech Republic who have found themselves in Chatham or Gillingham thinking that the streets of the UK were paved with gold and opportunities. When in acual fact Chatham high street in particular is paved with dog shit and phlegm

Chatham really is awful, my parents moved to Medway when I started Uni, where they live js alright but I flatly refuse to go to the town centre and only venture as far as the station when I have to.
    I work in Chatham and it has got worse over the last 3 years
    My deepest sympathies.
  • The term drop as in "our new album drops tomorrow" or "the new Adidas collection drops on Friday"
  • Suppose it was a potential banana skin.
  • Passengers in cars on the motorway who have their bare crusty feet on the dashboard

• When people say 'slaw' instead of 'coleslaw'.

Probably sits on the well trodden path of 'Americanisms' on this thread.

Nope. It's normally coleslaw over here.
  • limeygent said:

When people say 'slaw' instead of 'coleslaw'.

I don't care whether you call it slaw or coleslaw, it's f****g disgusting stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• limeygent said:

When people say 'slaw' instead of 'coleslaw'.

I don't care whether you call it slaw or coleslaw, it's f****g disgusting stuff.
    Can't argue with that.
  • edited August 2017

Probably sits on the well trodden path of 'Americanisms'

My 2 pet hates are Squirl and Mirrr for Squirrel and Mirror
  • Pronouncing the herb Basil as Baysal

And the word 'herb' as 'erb'

PS. I think coleslaw and slaw are two different things

Good shout on the erb thing

Coleslaw and slaw are one and the same in the states. Thankfully I've never heard someone refer to coleslaw as slaw over here.

People who send something like a 10meg email about something ambiguous amd just stick 'FYI' in the body. Dafuq am I meant to do with that? Does it apply to me or not? Do I NEED to read it or is it something I should file away I'm case someone ask's me a question about said ambiguous document?

Delete

• Probably sits on the well trodden path of 'Americanisms'

My 2 pet hates are Squirl and Mirrr for Squirrel and Mirror
    That's nuts, anyone saying that should take a good look at themselves.

Erb is the correct way to say it. It comes from latin via french. It's only Victorian grammarians who were seeking ways to make themselves sound important that introduced the false 'h'. It should always be dropped.

The really annoying thing about aitch is the number of people who say 'haitch'. I work in HR and it's amazing how many people call it Haitch-Arr. Frankly none of them are employable.
  • edited August 2017
    cabbles said:

buckshee said:

The term drop as in "our new album drops tomorrow" or "the new Adidas collection drops on Friday"

Wank terminology Buckshee. It's everywhere. At the moment I get particularly wound up by going on LinkedIn and having to see all these companies refer to their places of work as 'campuses' - honestly fuck off

It never ceases to amaze me how vomit inducing we can go with this shit. It's gradually been seeping in over a number of years, coffee shops where you can't go in and ask for a white coffee, it's a flat white, adverts for kitchens where you get your own 'project manager', and now your place of work needs to be a campus where you collaborate and foster a culture of 'intrapreneurship'

Unfortunately for me, the world seems to be going one way, and I'm very firmly going the other, in that it all just seems to wind me up, and it's everywhere. You can't hide from it or take a breather

Sky sports now analyse player's instagram accounts to evaluate their chances of moving during the transfer window

Utter wank
    I've worked in large corporations all my life so you get accustomed to "corporate wank", and some phrases become so normal that it takes your wife calling you a twat and laughing at you to realise that you have taken it home with you - however, even I draw the line somewhere. A good friend at a company that I used to work for was Global Capability Director (that, to me, is quite a normal title). The other week he sent me an email and he is now "Global Head of Faculty".
  • Stig said:

Pronouncing the herb Basil as Baysal

Erb is the correct way to say it. It comes from latin via french. It's only Victorian grammarians who were seeking ways to make themselves sound important that introduced the false 'h'. It should always be dropped.

The really annoying thing about aitch is the number of people who say 'haitch'. I work in HR and it's amazing how many people call it Haitch-Arr. Frankly none of them are employable.
    So basically no one in the U.K. has said Erb in about 4 lifetimes. If you say herb no one will notice but if you say erb people will either think you are American or something worse.
    Seriously though language evolves and my language is probably going off at a tangent to most
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

So basically no one in the U.K. has said Erb in about 4 lifetimes. If you say herb no one will notice but if you say erb people will either think you are American or something worse.
    Seriously though language evolves and my language is probably going off at a tangent to most
    Let's be clear, it's herb, coleslaw, squirrel, mirror, basil and charl'un. Language doesn't evolve and is firmly rooted in mid 1970's sart London (innit).
  • Stig said:

Say it in a Jamaican accent and it means something completely different.
  • Stig said:

So you actually say 'erb then?

Absolutely agree on aitch and haitch though, annoying how acceptable it has become.
  • edited August 2017

Stig said:

So you actually say 'erb then?

Absolutely agree on aitch and haitch though, annoying how acceptable it has become.
    No, I say herb like I was taught at school. But I'm keen to defend those who say it properly.

The 'haitch' thing drives me nuts though. Especially that it goes unchallenged. How did this ever become acceptable?
  • cabbles said:

buckshee said:

The term drop as in "our new album drops tomorrow" or "the new Adidas collection drops on Friday"

Wank terminology Buckshee. It's everywhere. At the moment I get particularly wound up by going on LinkedIn and having to see all these companies refer to their places of work as 'campuses' - honestly fuck off

It never ceases to amaze me how vomit inducing we can go with this shit. It's gradually been seeping in over a number of years, coffee shops where you can't go in and ask for a white coffee, it's a flat white, adverts for kitchens where you get your own 'project manager', and now your place of work needs to be a campus where you collaborate and foster a culture of 'intrapreneurship'

Unfortunately for me, the world seems to be going one way, and I'm very firmly going the other, in that it all just seems to wind me up, and it's everywhere. You can't hide from it or take a breather

Sky sports now analyse player's instagram accounts to evaluate their chances of moving during the transfer window

Utter wank
    I've worked in large corporations all my life so you get accustomed to "corporate wank", and some phrases become so normal that it takes your wife calling you a twat and laughing at you to realise that you have taken it home with you - however, even I draw the line somewhere. A good friend at a company that I used to work for was Global Capability Director (that, to me, is quite a normal title). The other week he sent me an email and he is now "Global Head of Faculty".
    There used to be "Trucking" companies over here, now they're "Logistics" companies.
  • limeygent said:

cabbles said:

buckshee said:

Utter wank
    There used to be "Trucking" companies over here, now they're "Logistics" companies.
    I worked in the rag trade, and for years I was known as a warehouse man, the company I worked for employed a new Financial Director who changed our job titles to fabric allocation and relocation technicians.
  • Stig said:

Does that mean that you tell people you work in Herr-Err? That must put their mind at rest when they come for an interview?
  • muppetman said:

limeygent said:

cabbles said:

buckshee said:

Utter wank
    I worked in the rag trade, and for years I was known as a warehouse man, the company I worked for employed a new Financial Director who changed our job titles to fabric allocation and relocation technicians.
    And there's another one that gets my goat.
    Job titles,
    Craftsmen that are not craftsman
    Technicians that are not technicians
    Engineers that are not engineers
    Associates that are not associates
    Partners that are not partners
    Professionals that are not professionals.

When I left school you had to work towards and get qualifications to get called any of the above.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!