Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• LenGlover said:

Fiiish said:

Why oh why do people lie about having computer skills on their CV.

New starters this week for a job where, as a bare minimum, having intermediate Excel skills and all round generally good computer skills is an entry requirement. This would have been on the job advert. The rest of the team is too busy to have to train people in anything other than what is bespoke to the firm (which, in this industry, should be very little).

Day 2 and these people never heard of Undo or copying and pasting.

How old is this person (people)?

I'm an old git and am terrified of computers instinctively but, with much stress, have managed to learn enough to cling on to a job by my fingernails.

Computers seem to rule everything these days and the ability to use one appears to overrule any other skills and experience one might possess in the eyes of many employers.

That I suggest is why otherwise highly competent older employees, still desperately needing to work, may lie about or embellish their computing skills.

In many other areas of business, fobbing off disgruntled customers for example, lying appears to be a de rigeur requirement so why not for IT skills?
    Yeah. It's very difficult to come out of the 3dycation system now and not be at pretty computer literate with intermediate excel skills. Especially when compared with the average 40 year old. Also having grown up with this stuff means you pick it up so much quicker.

Someone 25 or below that cant use those basic functions must have been actively trying to not learn anything about how to use computers and mysterious never use one in their home life either.
    Happens at my work constantly. We always seem to get new people who appear to have never seen a computer before, it then falls down to me (as the youngest in the office) to teach them how to do all the things needed to do their job. I guess I take it for granted that I've pretty much never not used a computer but I struggle to think how these people have made it this far in life and not learned to do basic computer tasks.
  • You wouldn't get a job in any other industry if you can't use the tools of the trade, regardless of age. Not sure why office jobs are any different.

This isn't simply just sending emails or updating spreadsheets, we are working with millions of lines of data that represent billions in terms of wealth and the ability to work quickly, accurately and able to catch errors is an absolute must.
  • Is excel taught in schools now ?
  • LenGlover said:

Fiiish said:

Why oh why do people lie about having computer skills on their CV.

New starters this week for a job where, as a bare minimum, having intermediate Excel skills and all round generally good computer skills is an entry requirement. This would have been on the job advert. The rest of the team is too busy to have to train people in anything other than what is bespoke to the firm (which, in this industry, should be very little).

Day 2 and these people never heard of Undo or copying and pasting.

How old is this person (people)?

I'm an old git and am terrified of computers instinctively but, with much stress, have managed to learn enough to cling on to a job by my fingernails.

Computers seem to rule everything these days and the ability to use one appears to overrule any other skills and experience one might possess in the eyes of many employers.

That I suggest is why otherwise highly competent older employees, still desperately needing to work, may lie about or embellish their computing skills.

In many other areas of business, fobbing off disgruntled customers for example, lying appears to be a de rigeur requirement so why not for IT skills?
    you and me both Len
  • 1StevieG said:

buying second hand records from Notting Hill Record and Tape Exchange.....

I thought it went "I'm going to cut you into little pieces...."
    Was that The Final Cut
  • People who are always late, even though it's them who set the time to meet, and then think it's a really endearing trait to have, laughing off the fact they've wasted just shy of 3 hours over 4 weeks of my time. I'm not normally as annoyed, but this couple's house is on a hill with no parking spaces and there's no phone coverage in the village either, so I need to wait outside their front door in direct sunlight.
  • go there, knock, no answer, go away for an hour have a coffee, go back.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    MrOneLung said:

Is excel taught in schools now ?

It was when I was in school. About 7 years ago...
  • edited May 2017
    People who call for "a chat" but have nothing to chat about, then when you end the phonecall after a minute because you have better things to do they get all arsey. Stop wasting my fecking time.
  • My own irritation at people who walk, drive or think too slowly.
    The stupid idiots can't help it.
  • Referees in international games taking it just too far.....
  • MrOneLung said:

go there, knock, no answer, go away for an hour have a coffee, go back.

Then I couldn't be the martyr
  • MrOneLung said:

And when was in school starting in 1991!
  • McBobbin said:

MrOneLung said:

And when was in school starting in 1991!
    As Computing has replaced IT / ICT curriculum, there's not so much time spent on it but a good Computing Curriculum within schools should include using basic office skills such as Word / PowerPoint/ Excel or their equivalents. However as each school has it upon themselves to decide how they wish to implement the new curriculum, you may find differences between every school.
  • edited May 2017
    Sun screen Spray. Watching people spray sun screen on and half of it gets blown away and then not rub in the small amount that's landed on them. Enjoy your sunburn.
  • Spray onto hand then rub in surely.
  • Muggy weather at night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hearing a noise like water gushing from inside the house almost inside the walls and having no idea what to do about it.

And then remembering receiving house insurance forms but having done nothiing about it and hoping they auto renewed....
  • Just came across a photo on Facebook taken in a restaurant... food on the table, no faces, three other hands clutching phones.

Put the phones away and talk to each other you arseholes!
  • Just came across a photo on Facebook taken in a restaurant... food on the table, no faces, three other hands clutching phones.

Put the phones away and talk to each other you arseholes!

They probably are... Just texting each other!!
  • Rucksacks
  • Shag said:

Rucksacks

Language Timothy...
  • Adults riding bikes on pavements.

This

Almost knocked down by one turning a corner today, yet I was the one who apologised, Which leads me on to my GTTAY - saying sorry when its not your fault.
  • the fact huddersfield could be 2 leagues above us come august.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!