Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Riviera said:

Why the rise from the dead of an imaginary man means I can't go and get some bits from Asda.

There is nothing imaginary about Jesus. He existed, that is an undisputed historical fact. Whether he rose from the dead or was the son of God or even if there is a God, are questions up for debate.
    Is it an undisputed fact? Can you please tell me where the evidence for this fact is then or who declared it an undisputed historical fact? Only asking......

• Riviera said:

Why the rise from the dead of an imaginary man means I can't go and get some bits from Asda.

There is nothing imaginary about Jesus. He existed, that is an undisputed historical fact. Whether he rose from the dead or was the son of God or even if there is a God, are questions up for debate.
    Is it an undisputed fact? Can you please tell me where the evidence for this fact is then or who declared it an undisputed historical fact? Only asking......

Undisputed is perhaps too strong a word, but it is generally accepted by the vast majority of historians that there was a living person to which the name and life of Jesus of Nazareth can be attributed. This is due to the sheer number of independent sources that have been recorded from the time. Based on historical evidence alone there is far more proof of the existence of Jesus than many notable Ancient Romans who do not find their existence called into question. Historians who deny the existence of Jesus and certain events of his life (such as his baptism and crucifixion) are considered the controversial ones, not those who accept it as probable fact (probable being the key word). Obviously the verifiability of 'miracles' and other divine events are questionable as it would be in other sources (for example, otherwise reliable sources of events in Ancient Greece are trusted on their depiction of battles or events but their interpretation that Greek Gods took part in these battles through divine intervention is attributed to the general superstitious nature of Ancient era intellectuals who genuinely believed Poseidon's sea serpents took part in certain sea battles).
  • edited March 2016
    Continental breakfasts
  • Fiiish said:

Riviera said:

They found his driving licence during archeological dig in Jerusalem...
    Are you sure it didn't belong to Moses?

Moses came down the hill in his Triumph."

To quote Jesus in John 12:49

"For I did not speak of my own Accord..."
    And as that famous Psalm goes -

"Jesus Christ, superstar, came down from heaven in a motor car....."
  • Fiiish said:

Riviera said:

Undisputed is perhaps too strong a word, but it is generally accepted by the vast majority of historians that there was a living person to which the name and life of Jesus of Nazareth can be attributed. This is due to the sheer number of independent sources that have been recorded from the time. Based on historical evidence alone there is far more proof of the existence of Jesus than many notable Ancient Romans who do not find their existence called into question. Historians who deny the existence of Jesus and certain events of his life (such as his baptism and crucifixion) are considered the controversial ones, not those who accept it as probable fact (probable being the key word). Obviously the verifiability of 'miracles' and other divine events are questionable as it would be in other sources (for example, otherwise reliable sources of events in Ancient Greece are trusted on their depiction of battles or events but their interpretation that Greek Gods took part in these battles through divine intervention is attributed to the general superstitious nature of Ancient era intellectuals who genuinely believed Poseidon's sea serpents took part in certain sea battles).
    Nice comprehensive response but what 'historical evidence' do you refer to? I don't want this to descend into a full on religious debate but you did originally say it was an undisputed fact, well I am disputing it but sadly from a position of almost total ignorance.... as I said earlier, just asking.....
  • edited March 2016

Fiiish said:

Riviera said:

Nice comprehensive response but what 'historical evidence' do you refer to? I don't want this to descend into a full on religious debate but you did originally say it was an undisputed fact, well I am disputing it but sadly from a position of almost total ignorance.... as I said earlier, just asking.....
    Almost entirely written records from the perspective of those living at the time, or those writing down what had been told to them as oral tradition was still prevalent. This is how a lot of history that we consider to be true has been discovered. There are well over a hundred independent sources documenting the life of Jesus within a few generations of his lifespan - due to the diversity of these sources, the chances of all these sources collaborating in some kind of conspiracy to perpetuate the life of a fictional man is more or less impossible.

This has nothing to do with religion, it is purely historical. I also wasn't the one who said it was an undisputed fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

Fiiish said:

Riviera said:

Ask a historian then or Google it! Jesus existed. If you cannot accept that then you may as well question the existence of everybody in history over 120 years ago when there are no living witnesses. As I said in my OP, all questions of his powers and pedigree are questionable but he lived, it is an undisputed historical fact by the majority of historians.
  • His powers and pedigree are not questionable - They are all made up. This Jesus bloke was obviously a total lunatic.
  • edited April 2016

His powers and pedigree are not questionable - They are all made up. This Jesus bloke was obviously a total lunatic.

Blasphemer! :smile:
  • People that when seeing an April Fools joke on a forum or twitter etc. have to comment "April Fools" or "What's the date?" immediately.

Either say nothing or play along.

this both baffles and annoys me in equal measure every year. in fact I'm pretty sure I've posted about it on this thread at least twice before

what's the logic behind doing it? are people after a pat on the back for being so clever?

going back 5+ years there were some cracking April fools wind ups on t'internet with people playing along. it's just not possible anymore
  • His powers and pedigree are not questionable - They are all made up. This Jesus bloke was obviously a total lunatic.

It was said he changed water into wine, no big deal, I have often changed wine into water
  • The bloke infront of me on the bus!

The prick must be in his 40's, balding on top with shoulder length hair, sat there with his adults scooter and chequered backpack like he's about to do stunts off the bus.

Hope the cunt gets hit by a bus

Sorry mate - let me have a bit of fun ffs.
  • edited April 2016
    ross1 said:

His powers and pedigree are not questionable - They are all made up. This Jesus bloke was obviously a total lunatic.

It was said he changed water into wine, no big deal,
    Easy:
    amazon.com/Jansal-Valley-Powder-Burgundy-Ounce/dp/B00BV1G7DQ
  • Sponsored links:

• Paying for a piss
  • Saturday night TV, it's awful. Especially The Voice, poor mans X Factor.
    If I wanted karaoke on a Saturday night I'd get one from Argos.
  • edited April 2016
  • Samir Nasri's hair
  • Having a Saturday league game called off at 9am on a Saturday morning, because the opposition can't raise a side. At least give us a bit of notice you gits!
  • Any song that has it's own little dance or (worse still) contains dance instructions in the lyrics.
  • Ben18 said:

Having a Saturday league game called off at 9am on a Saturday morning, because the opposition can't raise a side. At least give us a bit of notice you gits!

They probably had a couple of players tell them last minute?
  • People constantly moaning about ticket prices.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!