Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• NSFW - when you post something in an online forum that might be a little bit 'fruity' and people at work moan that you didn't mark it NSFW, listen, you shouldn't be on the inter web at work, its misconduct, so stop moaning.
  • Sending an e-mail and the person replies with: thanks for reaching out to me. I'm not reaching out to you, I'm contacting you by mail.
  • brogib said:

IA said:

brogib said:

Fudge ain't noisy is it?

Packing it probably is
    Notice the use of the word probably.

Clever......clever...
    I've never worked in a sweet factory.
  • Flavour of the month business speak. You know the type 'Blue Sky Thinking'.

The latest appears to SPOC and SPOF Single point of contact, Single point of failure.

Speak proper English FFS!

I will do this going forward.
  • Forward planning as opposed to what? Backward planning?
  • Sending an e-mail and the person replies with: thanks for reaching out to me. I'm not reaching out to you, I'm contacting you by mail.

Unless you are one of The Four Tops, this terminology is never acceptable
  • Fancy dress at cricket matches and the endless shots of the annoying twats doing the conga.
    Today we had the Aussies taking a tonking but it still weren't exciting enough for Sky, no let's have a look at the pantomime horse.
  • I love cricket & especially Ashes series, but if I hear one more effing Aussie begin a sentence with "aw look mate" I think I will bloody scream. It is right up there with "can I get" when ordering food, or the morons who intersperse each sentence with a half dozen uses of the word like.
  • I love cricket & especially Ashes series, but if I hear one more effing Aussie begin a sentence with "aw look mate" I think I will bloody scream. It is right up there with "can I get" when ordering food, or the morons who intersperse each sentence with a half dozen uses of the word like.

Calm down angryvalley
  • Cyclists in Richmond Park. We took the grandkids today & despite there being a 20mph limit in there about a dozen or more sped past me. Do they think this does not apply to them?
  • Sponsored links:

• When a private joke runs thin, but the other person doesn't realise and keeps on going.
  • edited August 2015
    Greenie said:

NSFW - when you post something in an online forum that might be a little bit 'fruity' and people at work moan that you didn't mark it NSFW, listen, you shouldn't be on the inter web at work, its misconduct, so stop moaning.

It's not misconduct at my office but to a degree if you're at work at and you are allowed to browse the Internet (not sure where you work Greenie) then it might be sensible to stick to websites that have little potential for NSFW stuff to pop up.

Couldn't agree more about the can I get thing.

But then I thought, Marvin Gaye would've sounded a bit of a berk singing May I Have a Witness.

• Flavour of the month business speak. You know the type 'Blue Sky Thinking'.

The latest appears to SPOC and SPOF Single point of contact, Single point of failure.

Speak proper English FFS!

That should surely be SPEF?
    Consider this a written warning. ManAtMilletts

But then I thought, Marvin Gaye would've sounded a bit of a berk singing May I Have a Witness.

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I don't really understand it.
    Is it that you think it should be "Can I have..."?

That seems strange to me - you go up to the bar to get a beer, not to have a beer. The having denotes possession, the getting denotes receiving - I can't understand why it would be better to say "Can I possess a beer?" rather than "Can I receive a beer?"

Do explain it to me though, I could be persuaded.

That seems strange to me - you go up to the bar to get a beer, not to have a beer. The having denotes possession, the getting denotes receiving - I can't understand why it would be better to say "Can I possess a beer?" rather than "Can I receive a beer?"

I've tried this one before. I agree with you on "can I get", but you won't make any headway. People who hate "can I get" see "get" in that context as a synonym for "fetch", which, to be fair, would sound a bit silly.

By the way, "have" may also denote consumption.

In any case, there are two commonly used phrases for the same thing. I don't understand why one of them has to be 'correct' and the other 'wrong'

Why would I want to? You carry on getting mate. You can get me one whilst you're there. I'll happily have it.

Why would I want to? You carry on getting mate. You can get me one whilst you're there. I'll happily have it.

So... I know you're framing that in the context of a joke, but surely the subtext there is that I am right? 'Get' is an acceptable verb for when you're purchasing it.
    IA said:

I love cricket & especially Ashes series, but if I hear one more effing Aussie begin a sentence with "aw look mate" I think I will bloody scream. It is right up there with "can I get" when ordering food, or the morons who intersperse each sentence with a half dozen uses of the word like.

I've tried this one before. I agree with you on "can I get", but you won't make any headway. People who hate "can I get" see "get" in that context as a synonym for "fetch", which, to be fair, would sound a bit silly.

In any case, there are two commonly used phrases for the same thing. I don't understand why one of them has to be 'correct' and the other 'wrong'
    I thought that as well, and that's even stranger - why would you go to a bar and effectively say "Can I drink a beer?"?

For the record, I'm easy with 'get' or 'have', but I just don't get (or should it be have?) why people get(have) angry about it one way or the other!

So... I know you're framing that in the context of a joke, but surely the subtext there is that I am right? 'Get' is an acceptable verb for when you're purchasing it.
    IA said:

I love cricket & especially Ashes series, but if I hear one more effing Aussie begin a sentence with "aw look mate" I think I will bloody scream. It is right up there with "can I get" when ordering food, or the morons who intersperse each sentence with a half dozen uses of the word like.

I thought that as well, and that's even stranger - why would you go to a bar and effectively say "Can I drink a beer?"?

For the record, I'm easy with 'get' or 'have', but I just don't get (or should it be have?) why people get(have) angry about it one way or the other!
    Not at all. I'm framing it in the context of responding to a stranger who doesn't know how to use the language and thinks that they're clever, when they aren't. I don't know you and really don't want to interact with you.

• Sponsored links:

• When shall we touch base?

Not without dinner and a movie first. What sort of a girl do you think I am?
  • IA said:

When I hear people say "can I get?" I always feel like saying "no they'll get it for you , it's their job"

The other one which ain't as bad that I found myself using in the states was "I'll take..."
  • buckshee said:

IA said:

When I hear people say "can I get?" I always feel like saying "no they'll get it for you , it's their job"

The other one which ain't as bad that I found myself using in the states was "I'll take..."
    Not as bad as "I'll take this"
  • buckshee said:

IA said:

That's what I said, though. You see "get" as meaning "fetch". I see it as meaning "receive" (eg "what did you get for christmas?").
  • #argalertgogogo

IA said:

Not at all. I'm framing it in the context of responding to a stranger who doesn't know how to use the language and thinks that they're clever, when they aren't. I don't know you and really don't want to interact with you.

This one escalated quickly

IA said:

Sorry mate, my mistake - didn't realise you were a knob.

It's got legs now

Great spot argument thread #lovethatthread,

#brogib for mod
  • People driving with their front fogs on as they think this makes their standard car look special and makes them a proper driver. Corsas especially.
  • When asking for a beer the word "please" comes in to play if you are polite.

Also i was brought up to say may rather than "can". The answer to can I get a beer is "this is a bar, so yes....next please" or alternatively"no I'll need to get it for you....next please". Do you now see why some of us more ancient folk find it grating?

I have the same issue with people saying 'they are taking a dump'. They are not taking anything of the sort, if anything they are giving a dump.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!