Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• When asking for a beer the word "please" comes in to play if you are polite.

Also i was brought up to say may rather than "can". The answer to can I get a beer is "this is a bar, so yes....next please" or alternatively"no I'll need to get it for you....next please". Do you now see why some of us more ancient folk find it grating?

I may see what you're saying there
  • I also thought the correct term was 'may I have?'

Can refers to the person's ability to have (or get) a beer. ie 'can I have' well can you, are you allowed? And 'can I get' meaning well can you? Are YOU (the person asking) able to get a beer?

Anyhowz, i ain't sayings this coz i wants to get dragged into an argument about weather or not YOUR allowed to say can i haves it rather than get it, you get me? If anything i don't have to arkse for a beer innit, i take it
  • I don't give a flying fig how you ask for it, I'm gagging for a beer here, just get a move on ffs.

• I love cricket & especially Ashes series, but if I hear one more effing Aussie begin a sentence with "aw look mate" I think I will bloody scream. It is right up there with "can I get" when ordering food, or the morons who intersperse each sentence with a half dozen uses of the word like.

Couldn't agree more about the can I get thing.

But then I thought, Marvin Gaye would've sounded a bit of a berk singing May I Have a Witness.

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I don't really understand it.
    Is it that you think it should be "Can I have..."?

That seems strange to me - you go up to the bar to get a beer, not to have a beer. The having denotes possession, the getting denotes receiving - I can't understand why it would be better to say "Can I possess a beer?" rather than "Can I receive a beer?"

Do explain it to me though, I could be persuaded.
    Why would I want to? You carry on getting mate. You can get me one whilst you're there. I'll happily have it.

So... I know you're framing that in the context of a joke, but surely the subtext there is that I am right? 'Get' is an acceptable verb for when you're purchasing it.
    IA said:

I love cricket & especially Ashes series, but if I hear one more effing Aussie begin a sentence with "aw look mate" I think I will bloody scream. It is right up there with "can I get" when ordering food, or the morons who intersperse each sentence with a half dozen uses of the word like.

But then I thought, Marvin Gaye would've sounded a bit of a berk singing May I Have a Witness.

That seems strange to me - you go up to the bar to get a beer, not to have a beer. The having denotes possession, the getting denotes receiving - I can't understand why it would be better to say "Can I possess a beer?" rather than "Can I receive a beer?"

I've tried this one before. I agree with you on "can I get", but you won't make any headway. People who hate "can I get" see "get" in that context as a synonym for "fetch", which, to be fair, would sound a bit silly.

By the way, "have" may also denote consumption.

In any case, there are two commonly used phrases for the same thing. I don't understand why one of them has to be 'correct' and the other 'wrong'
    I thought that as well, and that's even stranger - why would you go to a bar and effectively say "Can I drink a beer?"?

For the record, I'm easy with 'get' or 'have', but I just don't get (or should it be have?) why people get(have) angry about it one way or the other!
    Not at all. I'm framing it in the context of responding to a stranger who doesn't know how to use the language and thinks that they're clever, when they aren't. I don't know you and really don't want to interact with you.

Sorry mate, my mistake - didn't realise you were a knob.
    Are a knob! Are a knob! You aren't very good at this language lark.
  • breast enlargement adverts that don't show the final product.
  • People who know the order of rules.
    ;-)
  • Videos uploaded online in particular on Facebook that insist you watch the video to see "what happened next was simply amazing" and other similarly worded crap.
  • People who know the order of rules.
    ;-)

:smile:
  • Bloody Arsenal fans on social media singing the virtues of their 1-0 community shield win over Chelsea. Idiots. Will they ever learn? They set themselves up for failure and ridicule every year. Let's see what serial winner Jose says about the community shield defeat in May

They infuriate me
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but half and half scarves at major footbal matches. Getting the tube through London just now and the number of fans with half red and half blue scarves coming back from the match at Wembley is just atrocious - it's the woollen embodiment of the death of English football as we knew it !

I love cricket & especially Ashes series, but if I hear one more effing Aussie begin a sentence with "aw look mate" I think I will bloody scream. It is right up there with "can I get" when ordering food, or the morons who intersperse each sentence with a half dozen uses of the word like.

Why would I want to? You carry on getting mate. You can get me one whilst you're there. I'll happily have it.

So... I know you're framing that in the context of a joke, but surely the subtext there is that I am right? 'Get' is an acceptable verb for when you're purchasing it.
    IA said:

I've tried this one before. I agree with you on "can I get", but you won't make any headway. People who hate "can I get" see "get" in that context as a synonym for "fetch", which, to be fair, would sound a bit silly.

In any case, there are two commonly used phrases for the same thing. I don't understand why one of them has to be 'correct' and the other 'wrong'
    I thought that as well, and that's even stranger - why would you go to a bar and effectively say "Can I drink a beer?"?

For the record, I'm easy with 'get' or 'have', but I just don't get (or should it be have?) why people get(have) angry about it one way or the other!
    Not at all. I'm framing it in the context of responding to a stranger who doesn't know how to use the language and thinks that they're clever, when they aren't. I don't know you and really don't want to interact with you.

Oh dear. That's poor and pretty embarrassing for you seeing as this is a discussion on language and you're playing 'oneupmanship' games.
    He was correct to say 'were' because he was referring to the past when he said he 'didn't realise'. He could have further clarified by adding something like 'now I realise you are a nob' but it would've been redundant as this realisation was inferred by his statement.
    First rule of correcting people: don't be wrong when you do it. :smiley:
    I don't recall ever being so embarrassed.

• People who call The Premier League the EPL .

BPL is pretty bad too.

People who know the order of rules.
    ;-)

And the letters in the their name :-)
  • People's outpouring of grief for people they don't know. Internet ambulance chasers.
  • Cats that have decided the optimum curl-up-and-sleep position in all the world is on my soft top roof.
    Which is now hairy.

IA said:

Oh dear. That's poor and pretty embarrassing for you seeing as this is a discussion on language and you're playing 'oneupmanship' games.
    He was correct to say 'were' because he was referring to the past when he said he 'didn't realise'. He could have further clarified by adding something like 'now I realise you are a nob' but it would've been redundant as this realisation was inferred by his statement.

If the quality of wit you're displaying here is your usual standard, I seriously doubt that.
  • Hope the moggy had woken up and scarpa'd before you drove off in a hurry.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2015
    buckshee said:

People's outpouring of grief for people they don't know. Internet ambulance chasers.

I think it's called empathy, but your right up to a point.

After watching a "Song for Jenny" about a young 24 year old lady who was in the wrong place on 7/7 and the 6 days it took her mother to have it confirmed she was dead.
    You would have to be quite cut off from any emotions not to share her grief.

IA said:

If the quality of wit you're displaying here is your usual standard, I seriously doubt that.
    Not sure what I've done to upset you mate, but whatever it was it was worth it.

IA said:

Not sure what I've done to upset you mate, but whatever it was it was worth it.
    Lol. Dreadful effort. 1/10
  • buckshee said:

People's outpouring of grief for people they don't know. Internet ambulance chasers.

I agree, but it doesn't make it right to be disrespectful & joke about someone's death, although I could make exceptions for downright nasty/evil people. Cilla, doesn't fall into this category.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

buckshee said:

I used to think that. Then this site did it for me and my family, and it was incredibly moving.
    No problem with that kind or what @JiMMy 85 said . More the outpouring of grief over random celebs.
  • people stalking others on forums just to dig at them... I did that with one poster and then realised I was being an absolute CNUT.

Since then I don't do it anywhere near as much... certainly not in a cnuty way.
  • Dazzler21 said:

people stalking others on forums just to dig at them... I did that with one poster and then realised I was being an absolute CNUT.

Since then I don't do it anywhere near as much... certainly not in a cnuty way.

I have a few of those who stalk me on here but to be honest it's great entertainment when there's nothing on the tellybox ;)
  • edited August 2015
    The bastard M25!

I queued for an hour in the early hours of Sunday morning just after junction 10 (anti clockwise) because those C**** at the highways agency, TFL or whoever it is in charge of the M25 decided it would be a wizard wheeze to put the cones out so that four lanes become one ho, ho ho! I saw three fluorescent jacketed gentlemen scratching their heads in amongst the miles of cones and an unused machine of some description.

What was the motive other than to fuck up the lives of decent working people?

At that time of night with driver fatigue the stress of that wasted hour could be the difference between having an accident and not.

C****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to swear even with asterisks but I was extremely annoyed as the self same thing happened in the same sort of area three or four weeks before.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!