Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    Worth revisiting that game. 

I like to think we were instrumental in propelling Newcastle to great heights.   After all they sacked Ossie Ardiles within weeks and then employed Kevin Keegan to drive them on to success in the Premier league. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCBkdIyKPP8
    Superbly supported team eh  ?

Have a look at the attendance that day......15,600.

50% above the average division 2 attendance that season, so yes, well supported for the division.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Surprised more hasn’t be made of the fact this mob were in for us and Roland ruined it. 

Good, fuck Saudi blood money. 
    Better than Roly though

• Options
    I see Amanda Stavelys grinning chops all over the papers,where does she fit into this and how much has she invested,or is she just hanging on to some coat tails.
    Sky Sports said last week she owns 10% of PIF.

Stavely may own 10% of Newcastle United but certainly not PIF! 

PWR here but these wealth numbers are just for headlines. I have no doubt they will be spending big but this is a PR exercise for the Saudis and will be a relatively small investment for PIF. A Premier League version of Ipswich is what I would expect.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Surprised more hasn’t be made of the fact this mob were in for us and Roland ruined it. 

Good, fuck Saudi blood money. 
    Better than Roly though

Nope.
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    I see Amanda Stavelys grinning chops all over the papers,where does she fit into this and how much has she invested,or is she just hanging on to some coat tails.
    Sky Sports said last week she owns 10% of PIF.

Stavely may own 10% of Newcastle United but certainly not PIF! 

PWR here but these wealth numbers are just for headlines. I have no doubt they will be spending big but this is a PR exercise for the Saudis and will be a relatively small investment for PIF. A Premier League version of Ipswich is what I would expect.
    I agree completely, just because they have money doesn't mean they are going to be spaffing 200 million quid on Mbappe and Hazard.

Let's get real, even at little old Charlton our owner is worth around $200 million but has, so far, spent relatively modestly on players.

The rich didn't get rich by throwing money around.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The new owners said yesterday they expect to win the Prem in 5-10 years, hardly throwing a marker down is it.
    It is considering Newcastle haven’t won a major trophy in about 50 odd years. 

No matter how much money you throw at something, it will always take a while before you can properly overthrow the established clubs at the top.
    Jack Walker and Blackburn did it.
    As did City. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The new owners said yesterday they expect to win the Prem in 5-10 years, hardly throwing a marker down is it.
    It is considering Newcastle haven’t won a major trophy in about 50 odd years. 

No matter how much money you throw at something, it will always take a while before you can properly overthrow the established clubs at the top.
    Jack Walker and Blackburn did it.
    As did City. 
    When Jack Walker did it,it was a rarity,and success was short lived.It was only when Abramovich appeared that the billionaire owners started to materialise,now we have an international variety of owners.All of them will have their dreams of winning things,few can achieve and sustain.We have chelsea,Liverpool,City ,United at the top of the pile,Much as I would love to see someone do a Leicester,it is becoming more difficult,as often as in their case their players will be poached.How Newcastle expect to break into this top group I have no idea,the top players will go to the top clubs,so unless they start slinging ridiculous wages about, and even this wont assure success,I am afraid our Geordie and Arab friends are in for a big let down.One thing,it is still nice to see the big 4 moaning about it.
  • Options
    Interesting take on the Premier League's approach to the takeover.

"...Bird & Bird, a law firm operating for the Premier League, employed a number of experts to investigate whether there is indeed separation between PIF and the Saudi state. At least three of them concluded there was not, with one submitting Saudi government documents that described the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as the ultimate beneficiary owner of PIF. All three speak of having been ignored since July..."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58842557

Sportswashing is nothing new; Putin's bitch Roman Abramovich have been doing that for a couple of Decades.
  • Options
    Is there no longer financial fair play?

Can’t they only spend a certain amount in relation to the money they earn/generate ? 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Can’t they only spend a certain amount in relation to the money they earn/generate ? 

Things ike that only seem to apply to the Chrlton mate
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

They can yes but under FFP you're allowed a loss of something like 100m over 3 years. However because Ashley never spent anything they've actually turned a profit in that time frame, so on top of their sky money for this season/next season, they have the 'extra' to play with without falling foul of FFP. 

I think i read they can spend about 250-300m between now and the end of next summers window and still be within FFP.
  • Options
    Football is awash with greed nowadays and everyone is as bad as each other. I'm probably just as guilty myself as I have the Sky Subscriptions, watch the games etc. I used to hear those fans a few years ago who said they preferred lower league or national league football and think they were mad and yet now I'm increasingly coming round to their way of thinking.

Let's not pretend that Newcastle fans give a damn about Saudi Arabia's human rights record. Maybe 2% will have genuine concerns, and 1% of those will get over it once the new owners go out and buy them Coutinho etc who state there signing for the 'exciting project' and not the 350k a week. The other 98% don't care who owns them as they long as their club has success.

That's not exclusive to Newcastle fans either so I'm not singling them out, I think almost every club's fans would do the same, or indeed have done already if you look at the likes of Chelsea etc. I'm sure many Sunderland fans are outwardly expressing their disgust at the takeover yet if the owners had come in for them instead of Newcastle they'd have snapped their arms off.

I'm genuinely not kidding when I say if the president of North Korea or Syria came along and said they wanted to buy another club with a fractious relationship with their owners, say Spurs or West Ham purely as an example, you would have fans advocating it. 'Oh well Chelsea and Newcastle have dubious owners so why shouldn't we'. Those who opposed it would be accused of disloyalty to the club and not wanting what is best for the team, and most would drop their opposition if Kim-Jong-Un decided to go out and buy Neymar and Mpabbe and you'd see fans outside waving the Korean flag.

You hear almost every fan of every club saying they just want 'sustainability' and to see 'academy players in the team' and yet whenever that happens and doesn't achieve instant success fans start crying out that owner lacks ambition and is trying to do things on the cheap. There are lots of unknowns about the Newcastle takeover but the one thing I can be pretty sure of is academy products like Freddie Woodman, Sean and Matty Longstaff etc won't be there next season.

Look at the protests against Man Utd's owners last season, as soon as the owners dip their hand in their pocket and hand them a shiny new Ronaldo all the anger seems to subside. Its like a neglectful and absent parent who tries to make it up to their kids by buying them an expensive birthday present every now and again.

Like any Charlton fan I want success, my children are not old enough to attend games yet but when they do I hope we are playing in the highest league possible with the best players. However if the choice is us playing in the Premier League with fans waving the flags of some state who sees human rights as an inconvenience or playing in League one with an owner who genuinely cares about the club and has decent motives then I can tell you which one I'd rather take my children too.

Watching the Newcastle fans wave the Saudi Arabian flag outside their ground reminded me of a line from Peep Show.

'That's the way of the world now. Let's just stick a zip here, a swastika there. Who knows what these things were once used for. And who the heck even cares'. Quite apt.
    Which leads me again to ask 'to whom and for what are promotes given?'
    It doesn't seem like you have to write an article. If it's given for posts then who decides? Personally I'd vote for @Notts_Addick here 
  • Options
    Football is awash with greed nowadays and everyone is as bad as each other. I'm probably just as guilty myself as I have the Sky Subscriptions, watch the games etc. I used to hear those fans a few years ago who said they preferred lower league or national league football and think they were mad and yet now I'm increasingly coming round to their way of thinking.

Let's not pretend that Newcastle fans give a damn about Saudi Arabia's human rights record. Maybe 2% will have genuine concerns, and 1% of those will get over it once the new owners go out and buy them Coutinho etc who state there signing for the 'exciting project' and not the 350k a week. The other 98% don't care who owns them as they long as their club has success.

That's not exclusive to Newcastle fans either so I'm not singling them out, I think almost every club's fans would do the same, or indeed have done already if you look at the likes of Chelsea etc. I'm sure many Sunderland fans are outwardly expressing their disgust at the takeover yet if the owners had come in for them instead of Newcastle they'd have snapped their arms off.

I'm genuinely not kidding when I say if the president of North Korea or Syria came along and said they wanted to buy another club with a fractious relationship with their owners, say Spurs or West Ham purely as an example, you would have fans advocating it. 'Oh well Chelsea and Newcastle have dubious owners so why shouldn't we'. Those who opposed it would be accused of disloyalty to the club and not wanting what is best for the team, and most would drop their opposition if Kim-Jong-Un decided to go out and buy Neymar and Mpabbe and you'd see fans outside waving the Korean flag.

You hear almost every fan of every club saying they just want 'sustainability' and to see 'academy players in the team' and yet whenever that happens and doesn't achieve instant success fans start crying out that owner lacks ambition and is trying to do things on the cheap. There are lots of unknowns about the Newcastle takeover but the one thing I can be pretty sure of is academy products like Freddie Woodman, Sean and Matty Longstaff etc won't be there next season.

Look at the protests against Man Utd's owners last season, as soon as the owners dip their hand in their pocket and hand them a shiny new Ronaldo all the anger seems to subside. Its like a neglectful and absent parent who tries to make it up to their kids by buying them an expensive birthday present every now and again.

Like any Charlton fan I want success, my children are not old enough to attend games yet but when they do I hope we are playing in the highest league possible with the best players. However if the choice is us playing in the Premier League with fans waving the flags of some state who sees human rights as an inconvenience or playing in League one with an owner who genuinely cares about the club and has decent motives then I can tell you which one I'd rather take my children too.

Watching the Newcastle fans wave the Saudi Arabian flag outside their ground reminded me of a line from Peep Show.

'That's the way of the world now. Let's just stick a zip here, a swastika there. Who knows what these things were once used for. And who the heck even cares'. Quite apt.
    Difficult to argue against. The whole thing happening to football has suddenly struck me as a sort of parallel to colonialism. A bunch of people and clubs are more or less minding their own business in Football-land.  Along comes a bunch of financial explorers … “can we make some serious money here? Yes let’s rename this land as The Premiership and start selling what’s happening here back to its fan inhabitants. We’ll build a subscription wall around the land and if they can’t afford to pay to get in, they can eff off to … to… the the unproductive  lower leagues lands”. Fans whose families have loved their team on this land for generations have two choices pay up or eff off. Meanwhile a bunch of rich settlers move in taking over large swathes of clubs. Again those fans still remaining inside have to choose between remaining in their clubland  despite the foreign owner and manager largely replacing the team with offshore mercenaries and cutting off the development of the next generation of local talent. Is the land still theirs? Is the club still theirs?  That’s the sorts of choices fans of Newcastle and the like are making. 
  • Options
    Bump my question about 'promotes' above to @AFKABartram because I really would like to satisfy my curiosity on this subject.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Notts_Addick absolutely spot on mate. Great post.
  • Options
    All this protest because of the Saudis owning an English club.

But in horse racing Khalid Abdullah (a Saudi) has owned horese for many years (Dancing Brave, Frankel and Kingman).

Sheikh Mo has also been around years, some unsavoury details coming out about kidnapping his own daughter and phone hacking. 

The Qatari Royal Family have been investing in racechorses for a few years now.

Don't hear any protests against them, mind you if they pulled out of horseracing the British industry would collapse.
  • Options
    More money coming into a sport = success though, doesn’t it?

• Options
    Assume those in the football world protesting so loudly about the Saudi human rights record will also be boycotting next winter's World Cup given how many migrant workers died in building the stadiums. 
  • Options
    Assume those in the football world protesting so loudly about the Saudi human rights record will also be boycotting next winter's World Cup given how many migrant workers died in building the stadiums. 
    And protesting against the arms deals the UK does with them, of course.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

But in horse racing Khalid Abdullah (a Saudi) has owned horese for many years (Dancing Brave, Frankel and Kingman).

Sheikh Mo has also been around years, some unsavoury details coming out about kidnapping his own daughter and phone hacking. 

Don't hear any protests against them, mind you if they pulled out of horseracing the British industry would collapse.
    Ah, well, that's alright then. They're also involved in horse racing. Must be all ok then.

Although I can't say I've heard of generations of families supporting a horse or trainer in the past and following them around the country, but then I'm no expert. 
  • Options
    “You talk about these rights, and those rights, but this is our life…”

There’s a good whoosh…but I think it’s actually just breathtaking ignorance.
    Having lived up there for a couple of years, 'typical Geordies' would be my response.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Having lived up there for a couple of years, 'typical Geordies' would be my response.
    I think it paints quite an accurate picture of many PL football supporters now, they want a team they can gloat about as much as support.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

I think it paints quite an accurate picture of many PL football supporters now, they want a team they can gloat about as much as support.
    Yep. Most conversations between PL fans tend to be slagging off contests arguing about who has spent what, who is overrated etc. It’s all just toxic negative mud slinging, largely from fans who don’t go to games but just hide behind a Twitter handle.

Nowhere near the sort of togetherness between clubs for the love of the game that you get in the EFL.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    iaitch said:

Ah, well, that's alright then. They're also involved in horse racing. Must be all ok then.

Although I can't say I've heard of generations of families supporting a horse or trainer in the past and following them around the country, but then I'm no expert. 
    Plenty of people follow horseracing but tend to ignore the background of the owners. Also someone above mentions there are no problems with selling billions of pounds worth of armaments to them.

Couple of years ago when the Saudis were bombing the fuck out of Yemen the arms industry were trying to say that the arms were sold on the understanding that they were for defensive purposes only. Yeah right.