Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newcastle

Comments

• Options

Assorted Clubs - US investors

The US Government has bombed, attacked or invaded about forty countries since 1945 but, of course, they are our best buddies so we don't talk about that.

That's before we get to the fact that the US Government has also overthrown numerous governments it didn't like via the CIA.

Grossly unfair to include US Investors, who are private individuals and NOTHING to do with that their government does. Especially as we are now owned by a US citizen

It would be like condemning British owners for Iraq or Suez
    If China invaded Taiwan then the right-wing press would be imploring the PL to get Chinese owners out of the game.

If the US attacked China, as many of their leaders want to, then absolutely nothing would happen in terms of action against US investors.

If the west didn’t have double standards it would have no standards at all.
    The US would only attack China to defend its allies like Japan and Taiwan, from Chinese aggression

China invading Taiwan would be an act of unprovoked aggression, just like its actions against the Uighurs.

It's nonsense to compare the 2 scenarios
  • Options
    Redhenry's proved to have been correct about things Charlton,  on many occasions. 
    I am well aware of that, and he has my respect for those occasions, and for sharing them.

But outside planet Charlton, this story will be viewed as ridiculous. A lot of people on here are slagging off Newcastle fans for their overblown sense of entitlement. Try posting this story on a Newcastle forum and see how it is received.

i dont actually see what the big deal is about naming names unless he was at the time employed by the club or signed an NDA for some reason. But its up to him. As he says, believe what you like. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Football is plastic, especially the top end of the game.  As much as it’s great to see other parts of the world get to enjoy football in the same way we have for many years, it’s the productization that I take issue with.  Football in the Middle East is an exercise in branding, sponsorship and raising the profile of the Middle East.  There’s nothing wrong with that part of the world and they are entitled to enjoy the game as much as we have. However, let’s be honest, real football is about supporting a club and experiencing those in real life moments when you’re in the midst of a ridiculous sea of ‘limbs’ and you’ve been rewarded for the hours of effort and toil you put in over the years.  

That’s the Beautiful Game for me.  I know there are people who cannot attend games who are equally as passionate from the pub or their living room, so I don’t trivialize their support either.  I do just look at anything involving places like the Middle East or China and think it’s completely the antithesis of what I think the game stands for, but it’s just my opinion.

I cringe at the All or Nothing Amazon docs and the likes of Levy extending the commercial reach of a club like Spurs so they can host the Joshua fight and go on tours to far flung places to play in made up trophies.  I get it, and I understand it has to be this way, but I find it amazing that they can do all this with a solitary League Cup to their name in the last 20 years.  If it were on trophies won, they’re in the same bracket as the likes of Middlesbrough & Birmingham, we don’t see documentaries about them, or Adele performing at the Riverside.

It will always be something I watch and enjoy, but give me the coach with about 40 hardy souls on a Tuesday night in November on the way to Morecombe, over my club being used for commercial gains and building a global brand or whatever such bollocks these clubs now refer to themselves as
    Not sure I agree with this part. Football grounds have held big boxing fights for decades, and it's no different from The Who playing at The Valley in the 70s
    Probably not the best example, more of general highlight at what Spurs stand for under Levy.  They’ve obviously pushed on over the years to play in the CL and have great players, but I think their mantra is profit over performance, ie the brand and the commercial activities they engage in take preference.

It’s similar to Man Utd.  Slightly different because they have a much richer recent history of trophies than Spurs, but haven’t won the Prem since 2013.  It’s almost as if clubs like Man Utd have forgotten what got them to the world stage.  It was Ferguson’s relentless focus on winning.  With someone like Solskajer as manager it’s almost as if they’re saying winning second, everything else first (sponsorships etc)
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Football is plastic, especially the top end of the game.  As much as it’s great to see other parts of the world get to enjoy football in the same way we have for many years, it’s the productization that I take issue with.  Football in the Middle East is an exercise in branding, sponsorship and raising the profile of the Middle East.  There’s nothing wrong with that part of the world and they are entitled to enjoy the game as much as we have. However, let’s be honest, real football is about supporting a club and experiencing those in real life moments when you’re in the midst of a ridiculous sea of ‘limbs’ and you’ve been rewarded for the hours of effort and toil you put in over the years.  

That’s the Beautiful Game for me.  I know there are people who cannot attend games who are equally as passionate from the pub or their living room, so I don’t trivialize their support either.  I do just look at anything involving places like the Middle East or China and think it’s completely the antithesis of what I think the game stands for, but it’s just my opinion.

I cringe at the All or Nothing Amazon docs and the likes of Levy extending the commercial reach of a club like Spurs so they can host the Joshua fight and go on tours to far flung places to play in made up trophies.  I get it, and I understand it has to be this way, but I find it amazing that they can do all this with a solitary League Cup to their name in the last 20 years.  If it were on trophies won, they’re in the same bracket as the likes of Middlesbrough & Birmingham, we don’t see documentaries about them, or Adele performing at the Riverside.

It will always be something I watch and enjoy, but give me the coach with about 40 hardy souls on a Tuesday night in November on the way to Morecombe, over my club being used for commercial gains and building a global brand or whatever such bollocks these clubs now refer to themselves as
    Not sure I agree with this part. Football grounds have held big boxing fights for decades, and it's no different from The Who playing at The Valley in the 70s
    Probably not the best example, more of general highlight at what Spurs stand for under Levy.  They’ve obviously pushed on over the years to play in the CL and have great players, but I think their mantra is profit over performance, ie the brand and the commercial activities they engage in take preference.

It’s similar to Man Utd.  Slightly different because they have a much richer recent history of trophies than Spurs, but haven’t won the Prem since 2013.  It’s almost as if clubs like Man Utd have forgotten what got them to the world stage.  It was Ferguson’s relentless focus on winning.  With someone like Solskajer as manager it’s almost as if they’re saying winning second, everything else first (sponsorships etc)
    To be fair to the Spuds, building a 60k stadium in London costs an absolute fortune, therefore it makes sense to try and maximise all forms of revenue, whether NFL or boxing. Arsenal have never really been the same since they built their new stadium. More revenue yes, but the years of relatively tight housekeeping to pay for it, meant they dropped away from challenging for the title, and have never got back

The Glazers have no such excuse.
  • Options
    It's been fun over the years having a chuckle as the Geordies contrive to crash and burn, whilst all the while their fans are whingeing and crying about "best supporters in the cunt ree, should be in the top 4".
    Looks like we'll have to suffer Shearer's smugness from  now on.
  • Options
    Steve Bruce really get bemused at some of the situations he finds himself in.  At Hull, and now Newcastle 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Us as the richest club in the world wouldn't feel right. Instead we're owned by the nicest, cuddliest tycoon of them all. Honestly it's better (and more Charlton) this way
    Agree with this, it just wouldn't feel right.....

😭
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    It does feel like bit of a cheat code in order to get to the top of the league.

If it were my club then of course I’d enjoy the big occasions and to be able see the journey to the top. 

But there would always be that footnote hanging over the achievements that it was only possible because an ultra wealthy person picked your club. 

Give me one Leicester City 2016 type achievement over 5x purchased titles any day of the week.
    Hmmmm.......for all of the romance surrounding it, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was hardly the local town Butcher who took the club to the top. I think he was worth about $5bn.

And in terms of footnote - maybe LCFC should have one regarding their administration in the early 2000's where they knocked creditors left right and centre for funds owed - including the developer of the ground I believe? I have always thought that the penalty for going into administration is far too lenient and can give rise to situations where the club can miraculously return in a much better financial state following the purchase of the club at a bargain basement price. Plenty of clubs have had the benefit of this.

As obscene as it seems today, it is just an extension of what has always happened but just on a much larger 
    scale. Success in football is always 'bought' to some degree.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

If it were my club then of course I’d enjoy the big occasions and to be able see the journey to the top. 

But there would always be that footnote hanging over the achievements that it was only possible because an ultra wealthy person picked your club. 

Give me one Leicester City 2016 type achievement over 5x purchased titles any day of the week.
    Hmmmm.......for all of the romance surrounding it, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was hardly the local town Butcher who took the club to the top. I think he was worth about $5bn.

And in terms of footnote - maybe LCFC should have one regarding their administration in the early 2000's where they knocked creditors left right and centre for funds owed - including the developer of the ground I believe? I have always thought that the penalty for going into administration is far too lenient and can give rise to situations where the club can miraculously return in a much better financial state following the purchase of the club at a bargain basement price. Plenty of clubs have had the benefit of this.

As obscene as it seems today, it is just an extension of what has always happened but just on a much larger scale. Success in football is always 'bought' to some degree.
    Shearer won the title at Blackburn, after Jack Walker "bought" the PL

Of course Dalglish still did a great job, but without the big money for the time, Blackburn have reverted to being a Championship side again
  • Options
    cafctom said:

As obscene as it seems today, it is just an extension of what has always happened but just on a much larger scale. Success in football is always 'bought' to some degree.
    Shearer won the title at Blackburn, after Jack Walker "bought" the PL

Of course Dalglish still did a great job, but without the big money for the time, Blackburn have reverted to being a Championship side again
    Indeed......and going back much further it was the continued financial power of the industrial North that meant their clubs could afford to bring in top class players - often from Scotland.

• Options
    Still find it harsh the treatment Ashley got. 

As far as I am aware he wasn’t taking funds out of the club and he always said that every penny Newcastle earn is spent on the club. 
  • Options
    Leicester winning it was a miracle yes, relatively speaking, and a fabulous story. But you framed it as the antithesis to a purchased title, and the antithesis to being bought by a billionaire. It isn't. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Us as the richest club in the world wouldn't feel right. Instead we're owned by the nicest, cuddliest tycoon of them all. Honestly it's better (and more Charlton) this way
    Very true.
    Let's hope we're not still struggling to get out of League 1 in 5 years time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    cafctom said:
    Leuth said:
    cafctom said:

Shall we tell him? 
    I’m not suggesting their owner was hard up by any means, but there is no doubt that Leicester largely achieved that Premier League title based on footballing merit. It was a modern day miracle in sporting and industry terms.

Jamie Vardy was bought for £1m, and Riyad Mahrez for something ridiculous like £200,000. They had a squad that on paper at the time was considered lower PL at best, and absolutely light years away from the top clubs in a financial sense. Then they came out of nowhere to do what they did.

Not sure why that seems to have been lost on people so quickly. 
    Wonder what Ranieri is up to these days...

EDIT* - Scrap that, he's at Watford ain't he
  • Options
    If someone could guarantee us being competitive in Division Three, I would bite their hands off!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafctom said:

• Options
    Football sold its soul a long time ago. I'd love it if we had football manager cheat manager to go and compete with the best 
  • Options
    I think people are getting very carried away with this deal.

The Saudis have a lot of money, that’s true, but that doesn’t mean they are going to spend it at Newcastle.

They are competing with some other massive clubs for players and money is not the only thing that players think about.

Secondly, we have to see how the Saudi’s run the show, the Saudi culture is very much based on “He that has the gold makes the rules” and I think they will be very hands on and as we have seen at our place that’s not a good idea.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

the mercenary type players (so few with a true affiliation to their club), the owners using teams as investments and changing the culture of the club, knowingly or not, the stagnation of the high press brand of football every team is churning out. 

I don’t think it’s just in the Prem , I’d say those words fit wanky Charlton of the last few years, just at a shittier level .